Author Topic: L2K Adapters - The $9 Mold System  (Read 14070 times)

Offline TheGlyph

L2K Adapters - The $9 Mold System
« on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 10:31:10 »
TLDR: Watch this video
Shapeways store

I’m TheGlyph! Among many other things, I design custom high end mold systems and keycap internals for makers who want to stand out with superior technology and keycap aesthetics. My personal goal in the community is to help enable people to make higher quality products and express their creative vision instead of struggling with the engineering of mold making or settling for inferior mechanical performance.

I originally started the L2K project last year to help out a good friend. Rather than force them to work with a system I had already designed, I decided to come up with something that would enhance the workflow they had previously established. While the most common approach to casting technology seems to be keeping it secret or charging some unreasonably high premium, I feel that those practices ultimately hurt the artisan community as a whole. I thought I’d try a different approach with this project and make it available for everyone at an extremely low cost. Welcome to the world of L2K Adapters.

L2K stands for “Lego to Keycap” and is a simple device designed for casting artisan keycaps. It not only replaces old school methods like using clay, but it also opens up a gigantic range of advanced techniques previously reserved for multi hundred dollar systems. For $8.

Not only that, but you can also get L2K adapters for almost any key size - not just 1Us!

But wait… There’s more?! In addition to MX, L2Ks are even available for Topre, Alps, and Kailh Lopro. There’s no additional price premium for different stem families -  just buy the ones you want to cast your favorite caps.

I continue to design high quality mold systems and custom internals on a commission basis, but for the large percentage of artisans L2Ks will do everything you need. If you start using L2Ks and get to a point in the future where you need additional capability, I can design custom components and branded internals that integrate seamlessly (with virtually any system, not just L2Ks) so you don’t need to waste time changing your workflow or mold library.

I’m extremely excited to see what the casting community can do with L2K adapters, and encourage you to get in touch with any questions or results!
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 May 2019, 13:23:00 by TheGlyph »
Instagram @GlennTheBlack
Discord TheGlyph#8458

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
Re: L2K Adapters - The $8 Mold System
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 13:03:55 »
Really nice video dude.  This is a really cool system.  This is something I'd like to give a try, especially at that price point!   ;D

Offline bottleRocket

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 16:40:57 »
very cool, just picked up a few!

Offline redleaf

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 02:20:36 »
These look great, going to buy some soon.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 03:20:53 »
Thanks for this.  :thumb:

Offline Voxicles

• Violet Tendencies shipping now!
    • Spookeys - Dye Sublimation
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 06:08:23 »
These are awesome! Ordered! Now I just need to build or buy a pressure pot...

Offline dsaf

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 09:37:23 »
A bit misleading as more than $8 is required to actually start doing this. The video shows all sorts of equipment. Why not sell or list complete kits?

Offline pshofosho

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 10:40:22 »
Really great system, keep up the good work!

Offline TheGlyph

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 11:46:36 »
A bit misleading as more than $8 is required to actually start doing this. The video shows all sorts of equipment. Why not sell or list complete kits?

This video is just the overview of what L2Ks can do, but if you you'd like check out a bigger overview of casting itself check out the video in this thread! https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96724.0

As for kits, I don't currently plan to sell any as what people need really depends on the specifics of what and how they want to cast it. Maybe in the future, though!
Instagram @GlennTheBlack
Discord TheGlyph#8458

Offline wtoe

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 11:56:35 »
The L2K seems extremely useful and elegantly simple. Also the additional walkthrough video is super informative for a curious novice (me). Definitely keeping an eye on these.

Offline TheGlyph

Re: L2K Adapters - The $9 Mold System
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 13:20:11 »
Hey everyone, long time no update!

Shapeways has changed their pricing around (without telling me), so my apologies for that but there's not really anything I can do about it.

On the more exciting side of things, I've L2Ks for stabilized Alps keys. I know there's not many of you out there, but I wanted to provide an option for those intrepid mountaineers fighting the good fight! L2K-AL-05, L2K-AL-06, L2K-AL-12, L2K-AL-16.

I've got some more exciting stuff in the works (design has been done for awhile, just need to make it all presentable) but for now that's it!
Instagram @GlennTheBlack
Discord TheGlyph#8458

Offline CrazyNun

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 08:01:35 »
Hey everyone, long time no update!

Shapeways has changed their pricing around (without telling me), so my apologies for that but there's not really anything I can do about it.

On the more exciting side of things, I've L2Ks for stabilized Alps keys. I know there's not many of you out there, but I wanted to provide an option for those intrepid mountaineers fighting the good fight! L2K-AL-05, L2K-AL-06, L2K-AL-12, L2K-AL-16.

I've got some more exciting stuff in the works (design has been done for awhile, just need to make it all presentable) but for now that's it!

Hi, I just received my shapeways L2K (yay!), but on removing a keycap from it (hadn't actually got around to casting with it yet), the MX fitting piece snapped off ( :( )  As you know it isn't cheap anymore, so is there a way of requesting that Shapeways print it with stronger stuff (i have no idea about 3d printing, so no idea about that). If i need a third one, i'll be £45 ($58) out of pocket!

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 14:12:44 »
is there a way of requesting that Shapeways print it with stronger stuff (i have no idea about 3d printing, so no idea about that)

Interested in this too. Also hoping for a TMX mount option, but it looks like this thread is well and truly dead.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 18:06:26 »
heh; combined with this video:
I'd say if you have a CNC mill/laser you can now fully customize your keyboard with absolutely whatever strikes your fancy.

Except ... I don't have lego anything. Still! I appreciate having my horizons broadened.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user