Author Topic: New Kinesis Advantage keyboard controller - kinT  (Read 13872 times)

Offline impaktor

• Blog on emacs & keyboards
New Kinesis Advantage keyboard controller - kinT
« on: Mon, 07 September 2020, 10:38:08 »
Michael Stapelberg has just updated his QMK compatible Kinesis-replacement board, to now work also with Kinesis Advantage 2, (and use KiCad):
https://michael.stapelberg.ch/posts/2020-07-09-kint-kinesis-keyboard-controller/

However, there seem to be issues using the Teensy 3.6. If anyone forks this repo and makes it compatible with Arduino, that would be most interesting, since compatibility and price would be better.

Since printing the boards is done in batches, I wonder if people are interested in group buy?

(Sorry if this has already been posted, but I couldn't find any previous post)

Offline tinyenormous

Re: New Kinesis Advantage keyboard controller - kinT
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 09:53:44 »
I'm all for supporting more teensy models, but that is way over my head engineering-wise.

On the other hand... The pcbs from OSHpark costs $24 each, while you can get 10 from jlcpcb shipped for $1.86 each. If cheaper end price is the goal, then this is a lower-hanging fruit. There is no mistake that oshpark is probably a better board, but not (IMO) 12x better.

I'd be happy to order a batch of boards if there was enough interest, and if everyone was cool with getting their boards via usps envelopes.

Offline tinyenormous

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 08:16:52 »
https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/ipuch1/ic_staplebergs_new_kinesis_advantage_controller/

I think I'm going to make some. fill out the google form if you are interested.

Offline impaktor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 02:56:32 »
I do wonder what modifications (by people more skilled than me) that are easily done to this pcb?

1. The obvious would perhaps be to support Arduino Pro Micro. It's $3 and is what I've used for my other keyboard-builds. It seems that would also fix some issues, considering:

If you are an advanced user of the QMK firmware, note that despite QMK working on the Teensy 3.6, some features are not yet ported/working. As QMK was originally made for AVR micro controllers, you will likely find best overall QMK feature availability with the older Teensy++ 2.0.

2. Another addition would be to add USB hub-functionality? I wonder if that's hard/makes sense, but I really need it, e.g. for the IR receiver for the mouse -- although seldomly used, I need it when in skype/teams/zoom meetings, and other non-keyboard optimized programs.

3. Another, probably far fetched, but integrate mountable storage into it some how? (There's so much space in the Kinesis case). I have an extra M.2 NVMe lying around, I'd love to stick it in the Kinesis, and show it as a mounted device.

4. I wonder if somehow, one could do something crazy with integrating some functionality with a Pi Zero or similar? (not sure what, I'm just throwing out ideas)

@tinyenormous Good initiative! For group buy, maybe include components as well (but excluding teensy)?

EDIT: I notice Stapelberg mentions adding USB-hub as a cool potential project in his stream, 29 min in.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 September 2020, 13:30:32 by impaktor »

Offline impaktor

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 01:39:31 »
Specifically, here's a post on USB-hub, from the (Kinesis Advantage KB500):
https://michael.stapelberg.ch/posts/2018-04-17-kinx-usb-hub/

Would be cool to connect e.g. storage device inside the keyboard, or make a hole for extra USB-port in the case.

Offline derpdederp

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 07:48:52 »
Siiiiick - I would buy 2, depending on the price. This one supports the 1000hz polling like his old post describes, right (and has the superior scanning)?
https://michael.stapelberg.ch/posts/2018-04-17-kinx-keyboard-controller/

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 21:14:13 »
I guess I need one (considering I never built the older Stapelburg I bought). Really wish these worked with the older Advantages, I have a couple and really can't stomach paying Kinesis $100 for a set of keywells + PCBs.

Offline impaktor

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 01:04:03 »
@Rayndalf they do work with Kinesis Advantage 1 (kb500) and 2 (kb600), that's why there are double mounting holes for the thumb cluster's connection.

I do note that it's missing the buzzer. I actually use mine, since I haven't changed the keyswitches. I wonder if there are two pins free for a buzzer/speaker on this board.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 02:24:00 »
@Rayndalf they do work with Kinesis Advantage 1 (kb500) and 2 (kb600), that's why there are double mounting holes for the thumb cluster's connection.

I do note that it's missing the buzzer. I actually use mine, since I haven't changed the keyswitches. I wonder if there are two pins free for a buzzer/speaker on this board.
I think my Kinesis might be too old

Offline impaktor

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 02:45:32 »
Oh, that's a real old one you have. PS2? Might even be a collectors item :)

I think you might be able to shoehorn it in, worst case scenario is you'll have to hand wire your switches to the teensy, and skipp all the fancy board-connectors.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 03:03:45 »
I really need to trace the keywell PCBs. It's an AT model, but I also have an even older one with a detachable cable and weird lock light placement. They're great boards (doubleshot DCS caps are solid), but have noticeable input delay.

Offline tinyenormous

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 20:41:11 »
@rayndalf I believe yours should work as well, but you'll need to get right angle ffc connectors for the keywells.

For anyone interested I have them now. $15 and the pcb is yours, shipped (con US).

Offline tinyenormous

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 20:45:28 »
@impaktor

The reason the teensy is used for advantages is that they use a bigger matrix than most keyboards, so they need more pins than the pro micro can provide. That being said, if you don't care about the caps lock lights you can use this pcb with an $11 teensy LC.

If you are an advanced user of the QMK firmware, note that despite QMK working on the Teensy 3.6, some features are not yet ported/working. As QMK was originally made for AVR micro controllers, you will likely find best overall QMK feature availability with the older Teensy++ 2.0.

2. Another addition would be to add USB hub-functionality? I wonder if that's hard/makes sense, but I really need it, e.g. for the IR receiver for the mouse -- although seldomly used, I need it when in skype/teams/zoom meetings, and other non-keyboard optimized programs.

3. Another, probably far fetched, but integrate mountable storage into it some how? (There's so much space in the Kinesis case). I have an extra M.2 NVMe lying around, I'd love to stick it in the Kinesis, and show it as a mounted device.

4. I wonder if somehow, one could do something crazy with integrating some functionality with a Pi Zero or similar? (not sure what, I'm just throwing out ideas)

@tinyenormous Good initiative! For group buy, maybe include components as well (but excluding teensy)?

EDIT: I notice Stapelberg mentions adding USB-hub as a cool potential project in his stream, 29 min in.
[/quote]

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 04:29:41 »
Just in case anyone ever wondered why the Model 110 is so heavy.

Offline derpdederp

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 August 2023, 11:33:54 »
Folks still modding with the teensy? I'm about to try it on a ps/2 advantage 1 - tho have no idea if it will work yet.