Author Topic: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 / GB CONCLUDED  (Read 372991 times)

Offline koenoe

• My YouTube channel
Re: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 (SHIPPING, YES, REALLY!!!)
« Reply #1200 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 06:07:57 »
Nobody interested to swap my SKB-YAS + PCB for just the SKB-HHKB? I'd include the PCB for free

Offline 1corazon

« Reply #1201 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 06:31:23 »
Thank you for the quick reply much appreciated. All good and a big THANK YOU Love this case mate.

WICKED STUFF LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Thank YOU!!!!!

Offline hansikhouse

« Reply #1202 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:26:13 »
Just picked up mine at the office Plastik, fantastic way to start off a Monday.

I'm loving what I see thus far and actually really like the finish. Anyone have any ideas for adding weight? I'm looking to add a slab of metal on the inside or something equivalent to make this an absolute unit on my desk.

Offline Coloneljesus

« Reply #1203 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 11:45:46 »
Could finally go get the case at the post office today! Screwed it together first thing to check if everything is ok. And, well...

224756-0

It seems the bottom piece isn't perfectly flat. The front left (in the picture right) corner is 1.1mm higher than the other side. It's probably due to imperfect bends (screw holes are in the right place).

I should be able to work around it by just shimmying the rubber foot on that side by 1.1mm, so it's not that big of a deal. I just wanted to mention it, in case others have the same issue.

I'm still very much looking forward to this build!

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #1204 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 12:34:01 »

I'm loving what I see thus far and actually really like the finish. Anyone have any ideas for adding weight? I'm looking to add a slab of metal on the inside or something equivalent to make this an absolute unit on my desk.

If you're not concerned about it being the absolute prettiest on the inside, I've used self-adhesive wheel balancing weights with great success. You can light them up nice and tight and organized, or be super sloppy and not give a damn. I am anticipating putting down a layer of foam in between pcb and bottom of case/weights, also. https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Weights/b?ie=UTF8&node=15706791

Could finally go get the case at the post office today! Screwed it together first thing to check if everything is ok. And, well...

(Attachment Link)

It seems the bottom piece isn't perfectly flat. The front left (in the picture right) corner is 1.1mm higher than the other side. It's probably due to imperfect bends (screw holes are in the right place).

I should be able to work around it by just shimmying the rubber foot on that side by 1.1mm, so it's not that big of a deal. I just wanted to mention it, in case others have the same issue.

Is this something that you can adjust by tensioning one side/screw more than the other to counteract the twist?
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline Coloneljesus

« Reply #1205 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 12:48:51 »

(Attachment Link)

Is this something that you can adjust by tensioning one side/screw more than the other to counteract the twist?

Nope

Offline Waven

« Reply #1206 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 13:10:54 »

(Attachment Link)

Nope
Nevermind

Offline equalunique

« Reply #1207 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 13:33:46 »
yes, I owned one of those once. but they are not bead blasted. I don't know what's the correct vocabulary for it. I think "polished" is wrong, but you can see that the surface there has like a "direction", it's a different kind of surface treatment before the andoizing. that's also cheaper compared to bead blasting. such a case bead blasted would cost quite a lot more, despite mass production.

here you can see what I mean with "direction":
Show Image

I believe the word used to describe that metal finish is "brushed"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushed_metal

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2019, 13:42:19 by equalunique »

Offline equalunique

« Reply #1208 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 13:38:45 »

Help! Upon assembling the case, it became self-aware and started eating the switches and my previous keyboard  :eek:
Show Image

Joking aside, I really want to thank you PlastikSchnittstelle for this awesome piece of sheet...metal. When I was finished assembling it (really pleasant and satisfying assembly experience btw, finally got to use my Wera Werkzeug-Set) I felt like the German word "bombenfest" (albeit having a negative connotation) was really fitting, just judging by its look and feel. I love the mechanism to change the angle, it also kinda served me as a "Wartungsklappe" because I noticed how the board was pushed down a little too much when inserting the switches, so I could just remove the rear screws, granting me access to the bottom side of the board.

This is how the end result looks like (sorry for the ****ty camera, doesn't do the case justice):
Show Image

Show Image

* XD75
* GMK Serika
* Zealios 67g

As this is my first GB, the only negative thing is that I'm now probably spoiled by how smooth it all went and will have similar high expectations going forward with other GBs.

So... do you have any more cases left? :) After seeing the end result, I'd love to build a staggered 75% board now.

Cheers

Looks wonderful! GMK Serika is really nice IMO and I agree the colors are a good match for this case. I'm planning on building my SKBs using MT3 Serika, but would go GMK if it were offered again.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #1209 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 13:43:34 »
Build my keyboard last night. I love it.

Thank you for offering this GB PlastikSchnittstelle.

Gesendet von meinem H8416 mit Tapatalk

Offline macken

« Reply #1210 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 13:45:18 »
Got my case the other day. Super happy with it.  :)

224760-0

Offline hansikhouse

« Reply #1211 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 14:03:37 »

If you're not concerned about it being the absolute prettiest on the inside, I've used self-adhesive wheel balancing weights with great success. You can light them up nice and tight and organized, or be super sloppy and not give a damn. I am anticipating putting down a layer of foam in between pcb and bottom of case/weights, also. https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Weights/b?ie=UTF8&node=15706791

This looks perfect, thanks Zuology. Is the foam to eliminate ping? And do you have a recommended link for that as well?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #1212 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 21:19:34 »
Thanks Plastik - got mine! Lighter than expected by my brass plate makes up for it. White Alps handwire - enjoy:

Offline Zuology

« Reply #1213 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 07:30:22 »

This looks perfect, thanks Zuology. Is the foam to eliminate ping? And do you have a recommended link for that as well?

Yes, the foam is intended to fill the empty space and provide some sound dampening, but I don't aim for complete dampening like by placing foam between pcb and plate.

You can spend a little to a lot on foam rubber/neoprene sheets up to brand name Sorbothane. I generally stick with the cheaper generic stuff that comes in a roll. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=foam+rubber+sheet
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

Offline wd9001

• Whoms't | 22nd century schizoid man
« Reply #1214 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 10:29:17 »
Thanks Plastik - got mine! Lighter than expected by my brass plate makes up for it. White Alps handwire - enjoy:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That looks absolutely amazing, wondering if I should use my alps like that  :blank:
Lunar AEK| Klippe R1 |
Klippe S (production)|
GSKT (Pre-Invoice)

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #1215 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 09:55:35 »
I had some Carbon Fiber plate made for both a 60 and 65% version. I somehow ended up with the WKL version last minute ^-^

If anyone in ISO Land wants to try a CF plate, feel free to pm.

These fit the STD60 SKB version

224837-0
https://imgur.com/a/ucP3h9r

1x Red Silk, Standard ISO Layout ( HS60 etc )
1x Black twill, ISO Support + arrows, Split backspace, Split shift. ( Bottom row 1.25, 1.25, 1.25, 6.25, 1, 1, 1, 1 )

Offline Zuology

« Reply #1216 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 10:34:21 »
CONUS buyers, I just received update that my package has arrived in US customs (East coast) after leaving Germany on the 9th. Some peace of mind for those waiting over on this side of the ocean.
More

Offline anfledd

« Reply #1217 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 10:56:19 »
Also, just FYI, I got mine (in Colorado) I think on Monday.

Offline oluigenuma

« Reply #1218 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 11:04:16 »
I’ve been using mine for almost two weeks now and it is a pure joy to type on. DZ60, Tsangan, GMK Dolch, Teals lubed and stickered.

Couldn’t work for half a day because coworkers were holding a 10fastfingers competition at my desk.

Thank you very much Plastik!

Offline pertain

« Reply #1219 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 15:03:18 »
Mine arrived at US Customs on Aug. 15 and just today departed on it's way to my local distribution center (northeast). Surprising to see Colorado delivered so much earlier. Very anxious!!

Offline eas

« Reply #1220 on: Thu, 22 August 2019, 16:17:02 »
Mine came to California Monday. Not a final build but loving this design.

Using foam between the plate and PCB, outemu 2.2 silent and some anti vibration rubber on the standoffs.

Offline FSund

« Reply #1221 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 00:02:56 »
and some anti vibration rubber on the standoffs.

I was thinking of doing something similar. How did you do yours?
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline eas

« Reply #1222 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 00:55:38 »
Believe I used these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZXT21DX/

Sorry picture is garbage. Probably what I did was not ideal. Thinking I'll rebuild.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #1223 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 08:22:17 »
Also, just FYI, I got mine (in Colorado) I think on Monday.
Mine came to California Monday. Not a final build but loving this design.
Using foam between the plate and PCB, outemu 2.2 silent and some anti vibration rubber on the standoffs.

Assuming West coast/region would comes via different route, logistics than the East coast. Any day now...
Believe I used these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZXT21DX/

Sorry picture is garbage. Probably what I did was not ideal. Thinking I'll rebuild.

I've come to hear the o-rings on stand-offs method called "burger mount", also was what I was planning to do with shorter spacers and longer screws to compensate for the o-rings.
I'm also planning on a flexy leaf-spring cutout plate that may be interesting.
More

Offline eas

« Reply #1224 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 10:49:48 »

I've come to hear the o-rings on stand-offs method called "burger mount", also was what I was planning to do with shorter spacers and longer screws to compensate for the o-rings.
I'm also planning on a flexy leaf-spring cutout plate that may be interesting.

Hoping to see what you come up with. I'll need to change my standoff to have o-rings on both sides.

Offline laserbeamspewpew

« Reply #1225 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 15:07:41 »
Mine should be here tomorrow. Am I correct in that you've included enough M3 standoffs to perform the burger mount out of the box?

Offline Hapimp

« Reply #1226 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 15:17:16 »
Does anyone know if there are extras? Hoping to get in for a standard 60%.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #1227 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 15:35:41 »
Mine should be here tomorrow. Am I correct in that you've included enough M3 standoffs to perform the burger mount out of the box?

From what I deciphered, there are longer screws meant to be paired with longer standoffs, and shorter screws meant for shorter standoffs for traditional mounting with varying plate depth. I'm thinking that if you use the longer screws with the shorter standoffs, you will have clearance for the o-rings between the standoff/plate. At least they are standard M3 threading and trial and error to test with other length screw/standoff length combos will be relatively inexpensive.
More

Offline portbaron

« Reply #1228 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 18:13:24 »
Finally figured out how to put the thing together. I put little pads of rubber between the screws and plate and it's nice and solid.

| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline koenoe

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #1229 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 07:22:58 »
This was such a fun build to do. Thank you!

Typing sounds:

Offline PvtSkittles

« Reply #1230 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 17:13:48 »
Sounds fantastic. Did you add any dampening to the case or is this just as is?

I also have question about the YAS 62 PCB - maybe it is a silly one. Just unboxed mine and there is extra PCB material along the tops and bottoms of the PCB - are those meant to just be snapped off somehow? Otherwise at least the top one is in the way of the USB plug. I just want to make sure if there is a proper way to do that rather than ruining the PCB.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1231 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 18:12:18 »
Sounds fantastic. Did you add any dampening to the case or is this just as is?

I also have question about the YAS 62 PCB - maybe it is a silly one. Just unboxed mine and there is extra PCB material along the tops and bottoms of the PCB - are those meant to just be snapped off somehow? Otherwise at least the top one is in the way of the USB plug. I just want to make sure if there is a proper way to do that rather than ruining the PCB.

According to his video description:
Sound dampening: 3 sheets of 2mm neoprene foam in case

For the YAS 62 PCB:
Yes, just snap those off carefully. Good luck!
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline LetoDaleko

« Reply #1232 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 18:25:14 »
The design is absolutly beautiful, nails the industrial vibe like no lther board in the recent memory. would love to see another round or extras sale to get my hands one of those. Rly great job dude.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1233 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 18:32:12 »
The design is absolutly beautiful, nails the industrial vibe like no lther board in the recent memory. would love to see another round or extras sale to get my hands one of those. Rly great job dude.

There will be no further production iirc, but for extra you can contact OP to try your luck.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline C7Kinetic

• /u/ADJ_Reflex
« Reply #1234 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 22:05:24 »
Weird little corner blemish I found on my case. Looks like it didn't get sandblasted? It's on the back side so it doesn't bother me much.  Otherwise, the case turned out great! I love the industrial feel of it.  ^-^

Offline FSund

« Reply #1235 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 00:51:52 »
Finally got my board together. Build with a KBD65 rev1 PCB from KBDFans, BOX Pink, and clipped and lubed GMK screw-in stabs.
Will probably try dampening the insides of the board with some foam, but other than that it's perfect!

Thanks for a great GB Mr. Plastik!

225147-0 225149-1

Offline johngodsmith

« Reply #1236 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 18:29:01 »
Has anyone been able to contact Plastik recently? My boards haven’t been shipped yet cause of defects so I was wondering if there were any updates but no luck so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zytyx

« Reply #1237 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 23:17:13 »
Got mine in, and while the finish feels superb, it is ridiculously fragile. Dropping my phone was enough to scratch part of the top finish, and more and more scratches seem to appear the more I handle it. Despite this massive flaw, I do quite enjoy the board, and plan to look into getting it refinished.

Offline koenoe

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #1238 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 06:15:22 »
Just embrace the industrial experience :D

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1239 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 06:26:03 »
Where can I find the files to have a plate made up?

Offline oxchamballs

« Reply #1240 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 06:27:53 »
Where can I find the files to have a plate made up?

Drop OP a message, he'll do up the designs for you  :)

Offline FSund

« Reply #1241 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 06:36:02 »
Has anyone been able to contact Plastik recently? My boards haven’t been shipped yet cause of defects so I was wondering if there were any updates but no luck so far.

He was talking about a (well-deserved) holiday before all the shipments went out, so he might be unavailable still. Not sure.

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #1242 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 06:53:46 »
I'm back from holiday since the weekend. have to catch up with stuff before I dedicate time to the GB again, will answer requests still this week. though most who contacted me over the last three weeks I replied via phone and although I tried to force me to ignore GB - couldn't quite  ;)

Offline equalunique

« Reply #1243 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 07:29:49 »
Would it be possible to get design files for the plates? SVG works best for me as long as I know what length & width to scale it to. I want to cut custom ones for the SKB75 & SKB60-BW 1b.

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #1244 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 07:34:47 »
Would it be possible to get design files for the plates?

yes, let me quote some text from the last email that included the tracking number:
Please use this email for further questions, rather than PM on Geekhack, Deskthority or Reddit. Having all communication for this GB in one place makes it easier for me.

Offline johngodsmith

« Reply #1245 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 14:18:45 »

He was talking about a (well-deserved) holiday before all the shipments went out, so he might be unavailable still. Not sure.

I'm back from holiday since the weekend. have to catch up with stuff before I dedicate time to the GB again, will answer requests still this week. though most who contacted me over the last three weeks I replied via phone and although I tried to force me to ignore GB - couldn't quite  ;)

Ahh sorry about that, I missed that. Wasn't aware you went on holiday, thank you for the update!

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #1246 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 16:25:30 »
Was a little anxious to get a bare case, but I think I'm in love.

"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #1247 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 19:46:20 »
Built my WKL unit for a friend here on Geekhack... :cool:

SKB60 WKL
- Lubed (205g0) and clipped GMK screw-in stabilizers.
- Lubed (Tribosys 3204) Gateron Yellow switches, lubed springs - mounted on a black steel full-plate.
- IMSTO Black on Black with Hangul sublegends
- GH60 PCB

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2019, 08:16:24 by LightningXI »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #1248 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 20:41:46 »

SKB60 WKL
- Lubed (Tribosys 3204) Gateron Yellow switches, lubed springs - mounted on a black steel full-plate.
- GH60 PCB

Typing sounds at the bottom (no foam or filler material used)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Typing Sounds:

Such a beautiful build buddy! Absolutely love it! I can see the hard work and effort put into it! :) amazing photos!

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #1249 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 08:36:24 »

SKB60 WKL
- GH60 PCB

Typing sounds at the bottom (no foam or filler material used)

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Typing Sounds:

That thing is murdered out.  Great cap choice, it's flawless with the anodizing.
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky