Author Topic: [GB] Clickiez™, Crystal™, Pearlio™ Switches  (Read 28865 times)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
[GB] Clickiez™, Crystal™, Pearlio™ Switches
« on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 03:27:49 »
It's been a while since my last GB here on GH! Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday break!

Our long awaited premium clicky switch is finally here! After years of development and countless rounds of prototyping, samples, and delays, what better gift is there than to release the Clickiez on Christmas day?

Clickiez™ are offered in two weights:

~40g bottom out (~73g peak force, ~32g actuation)
~75g bottom out (~95g peak force, ~58g actuation)

Clickiez™ are the world's first 3-in-1 MX switch that can transform into three different MX style switches via a non permanent mod to the leaf. These switches are fully compatible with Cherry profile keycaps when used with South facing switches (LED slot facing South, or in this case Zeal Logo facing South)

Featuring a Patent Pending multi mode click leaf design, this switch can be transformed from Clicky to Ultra High Tactile (think BKE level, but even more extreme) to super smooth Linear switch modes by simply moving the secondary switch leaf within the housing.
Clickiez™ Switch GB Price $1.30/USD ea
40g

75g

Pearlio™ Switch (Linear) GB Price $1.20/USD ea
UHMWPE stem w/ clear Nylon base & PC Top

Crystal™ Switch (Tactile) GB Price $1.20/USD ea
New clear Nylon for stem material like our Zeal™ stabilizers

Clickiez sound demo below. We'll work on full typing video in the New Years.

Estimated fulfillment date is mid March 2022. Pre-order will run until the switches arrive at our HQ.

Other news & updates will also be provided on our discord: https://discord.gg/zeal
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 March 2022, 11:45:24 by Zeal »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Re: [GB] Clickiez™, Crystal™, Pearlio™ Switches
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 03:28:06 »
Typing sound tests:

SA Profile

Cherry Profile

Pearlio switches stock with Cherry Profile

Clickiez Reviews:
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 March 2022, 11:44:21 by Zeal »

Offline nullinasou

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 08:15:04 »
1.3 USD per switch weirdchamp

Offline zlorfik

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 09:57:13 »
Thank you for the groundbreaking and inspiring work!

p.s. Ordered sample sets for each.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 December 2021, 18:56:22 by zlorfik »

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 13:51:05 »

$1.50 per switch when the GB ends. Also you can't spring swap easily because Gateron Cap molds. Over $100 to fill a 60%. I've wanted these since the original tease but I'll have to really consider if I want to support these price trends.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 14:08:44 »
I was intrigued enough to order a set for a TKL. The force curve Zeal posted on IG shows an extremely (sharply) tactile switch so at the very least, it's something different in the MX world.

Zeal, would it be possible to get a sound test with these in a board?

My bad, didn't see the sentence at the end.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 December 2021, 22:21:48 by thechemtrailkid »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 18:31:04 »
I sort of had these in mind back when I built a custom (buying the MOQ of five PCBs figuring one day I'd want to build them with another different switch type) but that price is sort of painful.  The current market leading clicky switches (Kalih Box clickies) are less than half that price.

I'd love to see a video or disassembly diagram illustrating the modification process.  In particular, I'm worried that it might be a "you need specific clearances to open the switch to perform the mod" situation, where not every plate design will be compatible.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline bigdonnerz

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 18:51:46 »
Wow 1.30 per switch and your warranty is void if you use the main feature as intended

Offline chat and team

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 18:57:33 »
no, i can one tactile, clicky, and linear for less than a zeal switch.
Box jade: 34 cents
Jwick black T1- 25cents
Jwick black linear 25 cents
disregarding shipping from different vendors
Another Novelkeys only example
Cherry black 38 cents
Box jade 34 cents
Box royal 50 cents
Total: 1.22 cents 8 cents cheaper may seem very little upfront but you get 3 switch instead of 1
 One more from Paramountkeeb
Jwick yellow,red gat milky pro yellow and red, and jwick black tactile or jwick black linear I can average all of these to 25 cents each.
While there is no clicky i could just get these non overpriced decent linear/tactiles for a fraction of the cost
1.30 is 520% of 25 btw just to let yall know .
Common arguments
-Youre paying for the tech and thoughts put into this switch.
Dont care dont want this no one asked for it
-Its innovation
It is but in the wrong direction and again who asked for it? No one did.
-zeal so good
No its not its overpriced
-zeal is Canadian
So is kumamech polartypes and we all know what they do ( if you don't they scam )
- its expensive to produce
no its not, its China
This is almost like Rama paying a premium for a product that wasn't asked for or needed
- this takes less space
i dont have anything to say about this since this is true
I have a personal question will other switch manus be able to use this  "patent pending"  technology if not , whats the point of this "innovation" if others cannot use this and its only exclusive to Zeal.

geekhack mods constantly break tos and refuse to read
Chinese overlords won

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 19:25:53 »
Are there any videos showcasing switching between the different mx styles? Any typing tests in actual boards? It seems strange that so much effort clearly went into this product but I think you're misrepresenting it with an 11 second video.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 19:52:18 »
Jwick black T1- 25cents
Cherry black 38 cents
Box jade 34 cents
Box royal 50 cents
Total: 1.22 cents 8 cents cheaper may seem very little upfront but you get 3 switch instead of 1
Jwick yellow,red gat milky pro yellow and red, and jwick black tactile or jwick black linear I can average all of these to 25 cents each.
While there is no clicky i could just get these non overpriced decent linear/tactiles for a fraction of the cost
Common arguments
-Its innovation
-zeal so good
-zeal is Canadian
So is kumamech polartypes and we all know what they do ( if you don't they scam )
no its not, its China
This is almost like Rama paying a premium for a product that wasn't asked for or needed
- this takes less space
I have a personal question will other switch manus be able to use this  "patent pending"  technology if not , whats the point of this "innovation" if others cannot use this and its only exclusive to Zeal.

I have absolutely asked for someone to put a Alps style tactile leaf in an MX compatible housing

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 19:59:08 »

Offline okidna

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 20:54:46 »

Damn this hobby, people literally addicted to typing and didn't even bother to read......

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 20:59:51 »

Damn this hobby, people literally addicted to typing and didn't even bother to read......

Keyboards not seeboards.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 02:57:37 »
Jwick black T1- 25cents
Cherry black 38 cents
Box jade 34 cents
Box royal 50 cents
Common arguments
-Its innovation
-zeal so good
-zeal is Canadian
no its not, its China
- this takes less space

I have absolutely asked for someone to put a Alps style tactile leaf in an MX compatible housing

THIS!

MX tactile is goddamn awful.... especially on the release of tactile switch is just pure madness....
A lot of time I misclick on space bar because of release tactility prevent it from return properly.

Also, actuation did NOT happened on the peak of tactile event, but afterwards.......  :eek:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 07:39:12 »
Buggy web site with functionality and information missing.

Offline OhKeycaps

• OhKeycaps
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 09:42:11 »
These sound amazing. Can't wait to try them.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 10:19:50 »

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 11:21:53 »
Seems premature to put these out for sale without any real information.

Also...anyone else thinks it's nonsensical to buy super expensive switches that can switch between styles? At this price point, why not just buy separate switches?

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 11:50:38 »

Also...anyone else thinks it's nonsensical to buy super expensive switches that can switch between styles? At this price point, why not just buy separate switches?

The ability to linearize them makes sense, sense you're just removing the leaf spring. I'm interested to know how it switches between clicky and tactile though. This line "this switch can be transformed from Clicky to Ultra High Tactile (think BKE level, but even more extreme) to super smooth Linear switch modes by simply moving the secondary switch leaf within the housing." gives me the impression that the leaf spring is formed in a certain way such that deepening on its orientation in the housing, it is either free to move or restrained. If so, adding an additional stamping shouldn't be expensive.

Offline Grandmasternoob

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 12:23:15 »
WOW, $1.30, see the Zeal style

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 17:26:39 »

The ability to linearize them makes sense, sense you're just removing the leaf spring. I'm interested to know how it switches between clicky and tactile though. This line "this switch can be transformed from Clicky to Ultra High Tactile (think BKE level, but even more extreme) to super smooth Linear switch modes by simply moving the secondary switch leaf within the housing." gives me the impression that the leaf spring is formed in a certain way such that deepening on its orientation in the housing, it is either free to move or restrained. If so, adding an additional stamping shouldn't be expensive.

It still doesn't make sense. Just go buy one of the many amazing linear switches if you want a linear switching.

The idea of a converting switch doesn't make sense when you have to desolder a switch to change it.

I guess if someone just absolutely has zero storage space so they need to save space by not having extra switches lying around, maybe this makes sense.

Offline Tree_

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 18:21:15 »
Too expensive, stem colours are ugly.

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 18:47:11 »

It still doesn't make sense. Just go buy one of the many amazing linear switches if you want a linear switching.

The idea of a converting switch doesn't make sense when you have to desolder a switch to change it.

I guess if someone just absolutely has zero storage space so they need to save space by not having extra switches lying around, maybe this makes sense.

I mean the ability to linearize them makes sense because it's inherit to their design; at a minimum they'd be a 2-in-1 switch. If changing between tactility and clicky can be accomplished by stamping the leaf in a particular way, perhaps it's cheaper to make one slightly more complicated leaf than running two production lines to make dedicated clicky and tactile leafs? Who knows, it's all speculation.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 December 2021, 18:58:44 by thechemtrailkid »

Offline catamscott

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 18:51:06 »
yes, these are expensive, but at least there's finally an actual new (well, new to mx) design change that meaningfully changes the typing experience and not just another switch re-color/new manu. very interested in the full typing test and eventually testing these out

Offline chat and team

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 21:06:10 »
yes, these are expensive, but at least there's finally an actual new (well, new to mx) design change that meaningfully changes the typing experience and not just another switch re-color/new manu. very interested in the full typing test and eventually testing these out
scroll up and refer to my original wall of text
geekhack mods constantly break tos and refuse to read
Chinese overlords won

Offline Pylon

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 21:15:53 »
Wonder if we'll see a revival in plates with the cutout notches so you can remove the switch tops without desoldering.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 05:54:50 »
These look awesome. Going to build in a TKL with a brass plate that has switch top removal.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 06:57:18 »
so 100g Cliekiez would be more tactile than Zealios v2 78s?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 29 December 2021, 11:21:40 »
so 100g Cliekiez would be more tactile than Zealios v2 78s?

It depends on how you define but yes, I would guess that both weightings would feel more tactile than Zealios v2 since they drop about 40 grams over 1/4-1/2 a millimeter.

Offline LMarci

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 02 January 2022, 12:10:51 »
1.3$ lol

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 02 January 2022, 14:00:47 »
weirdchamp

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 02 January 2022, 23:45:32 »
remember the days when zeal was loved. how times have changed. thanks jwk, we owe ya

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 03 January 2022, 00:00:20 »
remember the days when zeal was loved. how times have changed. thanks jwk, we owe ya

Zeal is a good guy, I still buy his products. The Pearlios are of interest to me.

A lot of people’s barometer for someone being a “good guy”  in this hobby is solely based on whether that person is giving them a “good deal” according to their interpretation. If they aren’t getting a “good deal” people get nasty quick.

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 03 January 2022, 00:44:35 »

Zeal is a good guy, I still buy his products. The Pearlios are of interest to me.

A lot of people’s barometer for someone being a “good guy”  in this hobby is solely based on whether that person is giving them a “good deal” according to their interpretation. If they aren’t getting a “good deal” people get nasty quick.

He should just start making components that don't effect keyfeel, then people wouldn't complain when his products costs more than the latest posting on aliexpress

Offline dangboy

• yes
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 03 January 2022, 09:47:52 »
100g clickiez? Absolutely.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 03 January 2022, 15:10:13 »

such a nice guy, in this hobby out of real love, not to make money or anything

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 04 January 2022, 13:09:04 »
CAD $1.60/sw WeirdChamp

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 04 January 2022, 19:44:33 »

I would’ve thought it was obvious he owned a business. Are you implying business owners are not good people?

Maybe that’s not a subject for Geekhack.

Offline Skok

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 04 January 2022, 22:22:47 »

This is a dumb take. Making **** costs money. There isn't a single vendor doing anything solely out of the good of their heart. Maybe partly, but money is always going to be an incentive. People need to eat and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't agree with the pricing either so I won't be buying but don't act entitled to someone else's work just because they are charging premium. Y'all are getting fleeced worse on cherry stabs and daughterboards more than these switches lmao.

More

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 05 January 2022, 00:15:18 »

This is a dumb take. Making **** costs money. There isn't a single vendor doing anything solely out of the good of their heart. Maybe partly, but money is always going to be an incentive. People need to eat and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't agree with the pricing either so I won't be buying but don't act entitled to someone else's work just because they are charging premium. Y'all are getting fleeced worse on cherry stabs and daughterboards more than these switches lmao.

More
Show Image

As a community we have shown we are willing to spend $150+ to kit out a board in GMK keycaps to the point where GMK has year and a half lead times but apparently spending $20 less on the component that is far and away the most important factor in key feel is outrageous to some in a hobby ostensibly about how nice it feels to type on a nice keyboard.

Who knows how these will actually feel in hand, maybe they wont be worth it all, but it's bizarre to see people completely write off a switch as being too expensive while spending more money on hundreds on keycaps, or $80 on a USB cable, $60 an a single (novelty) keycap, or $400 on a board with the latest meme mounting method, or...

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 00:12:05 »

More
Show Image

the take isnt that hes supposed to give away switches for free. its that hes charging a ridiculous amount in the current market and his reputation or "niceness" shouldnt change that. no one said he cant eat or isnt allowed to make money. i just dont pretend hes doing anyone a favor because hes a nice guy with these switches lol. 

Offline Skok

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 00:25:25 »

More
Show Image

the take isnt that hes supposed to give away switches for free. its that hes charging a ridiculous amount in the current market and his reputation or "niceness" shouldnt change that. no one said he cant eat or isnt allowed to make money. i just dont pretend hes doing anyone a favor because hes a nice guy with these switches lol.

I don't disagree with you. Your first comment didn't really convey that, at least from my perspective. Fair enough.

Offline phinix

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 02:29:00 »
Stop complaining here.
I think price is similar to Zealios, which are amazing switches.
I bought Zealios and Tealios many times from Zeal and I think those prices were ok for quality of those products.
Price I willing to pay for premium stuff - this is afterall premium hobby, you can live with standard Dell office keyboard, you dont have to buy custom DIY kits.

What was the price for Holy Pandas? I remember those were expensive.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 January 2022, 10:12:31 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 18:41:49 »
Who knows how these will actually feel in hand, maybe they wont be worth it all, but it's bizarre to see people completely write off a switch as being too expensive while spending more money on hundreds on keycaps, or $80 on a USB cable, $60 an a single (novelty) keycap, or $400 on a board with the latest meme mounting method, or...

Point taken-- we don't know how they feel.  But there is a framework of prices now.  We know we can get decent clicky switches in the 30-50 cent range.  So if you bring a new product to market at $1.30, you've got some explaining to do.

We'd say the same thing if you said "here's a $4,000 cell phone", or "here's a $350 keycap set."

Switches are also an odd market because in many cases it's invisible.  It's the component which is mostly for you.  You can't tell from a photo or casual inspection if my board has $1.30 switches or 13-cent ones, so it has little street-cred factor the way a fancy cable or bag of artisans does. 

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 21:49:41 »

Point taken-- we don't know how they feel.  But there is a framework of prices now.  We know we can get decent clicky switches in the 30-50 cent range.  So if you bring a new product to market at $1.30, you've got some explaining to do.

We'd say the same thing if you said "here's a $4,000 cell phone", or "here's a $350 keycap set."

Switches are also an odd market because in many cases it's invisible.  It's the component which is mostly for you.  You can't tell from a photo or casual inspection if my board has $1.30 switches or 13-cent ones, so it has little street-cred factor the way a fancy cable or bag of artisans does.

It's true that click bars are nice clickies, I'm mostly interested in these for the tactile variant and that is far and away the standard MX design's weakest point. It still will be interesting to see how these far against click bar based design though. While an improvement over Cherry style clickies, I'm still not a huge fan of the noise of clickbar switches (combined with the fact that they click twice). Plus, I believe the click bar design still needs top balance very high tactility with a heavier return force spring and from what I've seen, click/tactile leaf based design are free from this.

I agree with your take on visibility and street cred and I think it's why they've gotten flack: many people are in the hobby for the aesthetics that are offered. I don't think that's bad a thing, just not inherently more worthy of throwing money at than anything else. Especially because, as a hobby, none of this is really justified by anything other than the fact that it makes us happy in some way.

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 21:55:00 »
Have you tried Alps/Matias?   There's a different feel, and it's pretty affordable if you stick to Matias, but the ecosystem is a mess.  Keycap choices are essentially Tai-Hao and one all-blank XDA profile set, and many enthusiast boards aren't built to fit them.

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 22:08:41 »
Have you tried Alps/Matias?   There's a different feel, and it's pretty affordable if you stick to Matias, but the ecosystem is a mess.  Keycap choices are essentially Tai-Hao and one all-blank XDA profile set, and many enthusiast boards aren't built to fit them.

I indeed have. I have a few AEKs (I and II) with orange and salmon Alps and have tried out Matias' switches in one board and liked them too but no longer have it; a lose clicky matias switch is probably the best fidget toy I've found though. I really like Alps tactiles; they are the best tactile design I have felt. It's one of the reason why I am excited for these switches. I hope I didn't come off as disliking the MX ecosystem in my earlier posts because I don't and appreciate the wide variety of chassis/keycaps available within it. It's why the Zeal switches peaked my interest in the first place.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 January 2022, 22:15:57 by thechemtrailkid »

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 07 January 2022, 09:23:10 »
Switches are important IMO. I really don’t know why people are so offended by these. Cost like $20 more than the modded Gat Inks I just used. In the past Zeal switches haven’t needed to be modded.

Nothing about that is prohibitive for me nor other people like me.

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 23:21:02 »
People are offended because times have changed and there is a ton more competition in the market.  Charging $1.30 a switch is unquestionably expensive.

As with keyboards, if you're top pricing, you NEED to be top looks, feel, performance, packaging etc.  If you're not, people are going to be mad.  Anyone who charges absolute top dollar will be justifiably subject to the harshest of criticisms.  For ex., keycult does it right while eniigma (for the vertigo) got eviscerated.

Zeal's new switches DO have some innovative features that cannot be found in current switches and for that, one needs to understand that it will be more expensive.  But again, at the end of the day, it better damn well be the best switch out there.

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #50 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 01:07:56 »
Complaining about prices on things you don't have to buy. Seriously, go buy whatever it is you think is so much better. No need to crap on this and act like Zeal pricing has ever been considered anything but premium. There are many alternatives if you don't want to buy this. Looking forward to buying some myself, I'll support the premium for the time and effort that went into this.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 11:50:46 »
People are offended because

Why let yourself get offended? I don’t see much valuable feedback from people being critical on this post. Just people saying there’s cheaper options or that the owner isn’t a good guy because of the pricing.

Like ya no duh there’s cheaper options. People have known that for years now.

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 11:57:56 »
Complaining about prices on things you don't have to buy. Seriously, go buy whatever it is you think is so much better. No need to crap on this and act like Zeal pricing has ever been considered anything but premium. There are many alternatives if you don't want to buy this. Looking forward to buying some myself, I'll support the premium for the time and effort that went into this.

They're made in a Gateron factory, and there's nothing magical about that. Who's acting like Zeal hasn't always been fleecing the community? This criticism isn't new, and I'm certainly not surprised. It's pure markup and you keep supporting it for some reason. What's even more revolting is that this isn't even the final price.

WeirdChamp

Offline phinix

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 13:52:48 »
what's weirdchamp?

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 15:47:46 »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 17:22:54 »
In the past Zeal switches haven’t needed to be modded.

wat

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 18:10:43 »
In the past Zeal switches haven’t needed to be modded.

wat

I don’t think that’s a controversial statement (to my recollection). People certainly mod everything anymore, myself included.

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 22:20:01 »
I'm curious if the 3-in-1 feature will pan out as a big deal.

I could have seen it being a big selling point 5 years ago, when hot-swap boards were few and sketchy.  But now, if you want to have clicky and tactile switches together, you get a commodity-price hot-swap board and multiple sets of switches, which gives you a far broader set of choices. Of course, I've heard the case Black ALPS could pass for 3-in-1 back in the day, because you can either click-mod or remove the leaf there, and nobody was rushing out to buy Dell AT101Ws for the experience.

If it turns out to be insignificant for most buyers, then maybe it would have been simpler to deliver a "non-customizable" clicky switch, potentially with less bespoke R&D and tooling, at a lower price.

Online Surefoot

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 02:21:43 »
People are offended because times have changed and there is a ton more competition in the market.  Charging $1.30 a switch is unquestionably expensive.
(...)
Zeal's new switches DO have some innovative features that cannot be found in current switches and for that, one needs to understand that it will be more expensive.  But again, at the end of the day, it better damn well be the best switch out there.
For starters there's no competition with click leaf designs. The only interesting clickies that are compatible with MX form factor are the Kailh Box spring bar switches. But a click leaf is yet another different sound and feeling and indeed Alps are really good, but difficult to integrate in modern custom keyboards, much more pricey than those Zeal switches !

Offline phinix

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 18:13:01 »
(...)
For starters there's no competition with click leaf designs. The only interesting clickies that are compatible with MX form factor are the Kailh Box spring bar switches. But a click leaf is yet another different sound and feeling and indeed Alps are really good, but difficult to integrate in modern custom keyboards, much more pricey than those Zeal switches !

If you don't chase the legends of ancient switches, Matias switches are a sevicable clicky at 30 cents each in quantity of 200.  I would not recommend ua-Jie from expereince.  Tai-Hao or Matias cap sets are cheap.  The drawback isn't cost, it's limited choice.

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 11 January 2022, 19:08:30 »

Look up Pro World MX clones.

Not really so new but hey I guess it will get more traction than the original switch(Pro World) is very hard to find.

Offline mdlt97

• This **** is still better than Keebtalk
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 11 January 2022, 19:24:15 »
you guys
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 January 2022, 19:54:55 by mdlt97 »
TX60 | Duck TC-V3 | Duck Eagle V2 1/1 Bottom | Zephyr r2 | Duck Sidewinder | Mech27v2 | TX75 | LZ CLS | Duck Viper v2 | Orion v3 | HHKB pro 1 | TGR 910 | Omega60

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 11 January 2022, 21:55:45 »

Look up Pro World MX clones.

Not really so new but hey I guess it will get more traction than the original switch(Pro World) is very hard to find.

I know about Pro Worlds. They are basically impossible to find as you stated.

Offline Fraaaan

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 09:40:04 »
I suppose most of you have seen Chyros' teardown of the switch already:

The click leaf is on the LED side of the switch, making the housing bulky on both sides compared to a classic Cherry MX design that is bulky only on one side. I wonder how that will affect compatibility with thick Cherry-profile keycaps (home row specifically) and Costar-style stabiliser bars (that usually move over the LED cutout).

Beside the ProWorld and I-Rocks switches which also have a tactile leaf in them, there is also Input Club's upcoming tactile "Silo Command" switch, which because it is a Hall-effect switch doesn't need bulk up top for the contact mechanism.

Offline QWER|key

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 10:34:22 »
Let me see if I have this right.  A switch that costs between two and three times as much as most switches just because it can transform into any of the three switch types...  but if you DO transform it into any other type (its main selling point) the warranty is void?   

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 10:54:46 »
Let me see if I have this right.  A switch that costs between two and three times as much as most switches just because it can transform into any of the three switch types...  but if you DO transform it into any other type (its main selling point) the warranty is void?

The website doesn't state that opening them voids the warranty, it states that if you **** them up by opening them it voids the warranty.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 January 2022, 17:31:30 by thechemtrailkid »

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 13:49:21 »
Can't wait for the clones tbh. If Zeal's pending patent only covers being able to switch the position of the leaf, then it seems like a nobrainer for JWK and friends to fire up the photocopiers.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 15:43:19 »
I see a lot of naysayers here and understandably so. Clickiez are clearly not aimed at those who prefer linear MX switches and/or those who are happy with their MX brown “tactile” style switches. They are aimed at folks who have used and love the beam spring, buckling spring, complicated Alps and even simplified Alps keyboards from the days of yore. Alps switches were discontinued decades ago, so NOS switches are virtually nonexistent. Used Alps switches, which at their age will likely need extensive reconditioning, can still sell for as much as $2.50 each and up … that is, if you can find them. I’ve seen premium vintage Alps keyboards sell for in excess of $450. With prices this crazy, many of us get their daily fix with the more plentiful and affordable Matias clones and save the “real” Alps switches for special builds.

But, price isn’t the only obstacle to achieving Alps glory. The keycap selection is extremely poor and it’s virtually  nonexistent for anything other than a full size, a TKL and, with very careful planning and perhaps a custom plate, a 60% build. Matias does offer Preonic and Planck blank key cap kits, but that’s about it (unless you can settle for non-standard spacebar sizes). Apparently, Signature Plastic no longer sells Alps caps except as part of a group buy, because they have recently scrubbed all references to Alps from their website. And, when group buys do come along, which isn’t very often, half of them don’t properly support ergo and ortho boards.

These Clickiez switches address the key cap availability situation by offering MX key cap compatibility and they do it at a bargain price, as compared to genuine Alps switches. They also expand the available PCB selection and they sound absolutely gorgeous. If they deliver the promised tactility (which they should, as the click leaf looks extremely similar to the Alps counterparts – see the Chryosran vid) then these switches will prove to be extremely popular with an admittedly small, but vocal subset of the community who, like Topre fans, are not afraid to spend a little extra to get what they want. And, if budget ever became an issue for me, I know that I’d happily spend a little extra on the switches and forgo the ridiculously expensive GMK caps that take in excess of a year to receive.

Hopefully this wee little bit of situational awareness clarifies things for those who are shaking their heads in disbelief. The Alps/Matias infrastructure is truly a train wreck! When you see prices of $1.30 per switch, just be thankful that you haven’t fallen into either of the Alps, or the Topre branches of this big rabbit hole that we all find ourselves in. To us, feel is everything and everything else (to the extent that we can get it) is desert.

Offline nbesa

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 20:48:33 »
The Clickiez seem interesting, I am actually considering buying them to try them as tactiles, because I can't stand clickies, the price is the only thing stopping me. The other 2 switches are a hard pass for me, so freaking expensive when you can get two similar switches from another manufacturer for that price. But it goes on brand with what Zeal has on the page, so I guess it's OK as I am not the target public.

Offline Starston3

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 22:34:00 »
my 2 cents…

Clickiez should have been just extreme tactiles.

Offline QWER|key

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 01:12:26 »

The website doesn't state that opening them voids the warranty, it states that if you **** them up by opening them it voids the warranty.

Fair enough. Maybe this is just something only those who are used to, and want Alps style switches, with MX compatibility then. As I've never used Alps switches I just don't think this is something that I will ever appreciate.

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 19:48:33 »

Fair enough. Maybe this is just something only those who are used to, and want Alps style switches, with MX compatibility then. As I've never used Alps switches I just don't think this is something that I will ever appreciate.

I think it definitely is. If you ever get a chance you should definitely give them a try. Even if you can't find an old Alps board in good condition you could always try out Matias switches. Different, but also good.

Offline RobinsonW

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 02:50:03 »
Very interested in the Clickiez development, although I'm much more interested in the tactile mode than clicky. I'm not sure about the 'extreme tactility' though, I wish there was more of a focus on 'normal' tactility ala Orange Alps. The same sort of force as Zealios V1 but with an Alpsy feel would be amzaing.

Will have to get a sample before deciding if I like them enough for a set.

I wonder what the scope for modifying the tactility with a different click leaf is?

Offline IneffableCrab

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 16 January 2022, 11:28:23 »
I want to use clicky switches, I really do. I just haven't found a MX style clicky switch that I like. Maybe these be the ones to change that... but that price is going to add up real fast for me since I'm only interested in building full size or 1800 boards. (You can take my function keys, nav cluster, and numpad from my cold, dead hands.)

I'm always wary about buying products that haven't hit the market, and don't have any unbiased reviews or long-term use data. Don't take this the wrong way, but I've been burned before (not by Zeal specifically) so I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic for the moment. I bought 20 of both weights, and when they arrive I'll put them in a test board and evaluate them for a month or two. I'll reserve judgment on whether or not I feel these are worth the price until then. (I am hopeful however.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 January 2022, 11:31:24 by IneffableCrab »
The only way I'll give up my numpad is if you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 16 January 2022, 15:20:30 »
Too bad that the switches aren't damped. IMHO, clicky switches should be, so that the sound of the clicking mechanism becomes more distinct. The central shaft with the spring is different enough from MX that a replacement slider from a MX-clone switch can't be used.

I'd bet that if a damped version was made, it would be even more expensive.

Offline phinix

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 02:55:08 »
I'm interested in tactile mode of those Clickies.
Especially those heavy 75g ones, it might be a good substitude to Zealios.
From characteristic graph it looks like bump start in first mm, so kinda similar, I may get the sample to see how they feel.

Kudos to Zeal for developing some new feature in MX switches:)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 10:35:50 »
If you don't chase the legends of ancient switches, Matias switches are a sevicable clicky at 30 cents each in quantity of 200.  I would not recommend ua-Jie from expereince.  Tai-Hao or Matias cap sets are cheap.  The drawback isn't cost, it's limited choice.

It isn't like they're that far behind Alps SKCM anyway. Chyros stated in his review that these are not even quite as nice as Matias switches. This is one opinion (I'll form my own once I actually have some of these), but it may turn out that these end up only really being a niche product for people who feel they need both an Alps-like tactility/sound and compatibility with super fancy hipster boards and caps.

I don't fall into this group, so I may just stick to using mostly Matias boards and switches, since the switches are dirt cheap and feel great.

I bought some and I don't even care about this functionality. I'm not sure why such a big deal was made of it in regard to the design outside of maybe preventing direct copies of the housings from making it out into the wild as quickly.

Can't wait for the clones tbh. If Zeal's pending patent only covers being able to switch the position of the leaf, then it seems like a nobrainer for JWK and friends to fire up the photocopiers.

Let's hope.

The Clickiez seem interesting, I am actually considering buying them to try them as tactiles, because I can't stand clickies, the price is the only thing stopping me. The other 2 switches are a hard pass for me, so freaking expensive when you can get two similar switches from another manufacturer for that price. But it goes on brand with what Zeal has on the page, so I guess it's OK as I am not the target public.

Try some Matias "quiet clicks"? Alps tactiles are VERY nice in my opinion. The market saturation of boring old MX tactiles is one of the primary reasons I usually don't even bother with them.

Also, which clickies have you tried that you can't stand? I have found a lot of people really dislike the sound of MX and capacitive buckling spring, but tend to like deeper-sounding clickies like box pinks/jades and Alps.

my 2 cents…

Clickiez should have been just extreme tactiles.

Heresy ... leave, now.

Tactile leaves account for some of the best clicky and tactile switches ever made, and most tactile fanatics seem satisfied with their mediocre MX clones in spite of this. A much greater proportion of clicky fanatics hunt for ancient treasures like Alps.

Hopefully switches like this will change that, but that seems to be the way things stand.

I've never used Alps switches I just don't think this is something that I will ever appreciate.

You really should try Alps switches, unless maybe all you like is linears. Even those are very nice though.

I want to use clicky switches, I really do. I just haven't found a MX style clicky switch that I like.

Box pinks, jades, navies?

Offline disturbedfuel15

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 17:37:19 »
what's weirdchamp?

As an elder millennial, I had to look it up- it's actually a face emote of a guy expressing skepticism, disheartenment, disappointment and/or disbelief that someone is ACTUALLY doing something.  As if to say, "Did they REALLY just do that?"  Rather than copying/pasting the emote in forums such as this (where typing :weirdchamp: does not work) some will simply type out the word "weirdchamp".

So in this case, weirdchamp is used to express disbelief that Zeal is charging so much for these switches.

Kind of like 'weird flex' and 'how sad' combined.

Keep your head down out there!

Offline IneffableCrab

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 09:07:09 »

I want to use clicky switches, I really do. I just haven't found a MX style clicky switch that I like.

I've tried them all, yes. I've been very disappointed with the QC of Box switches as of late; it feels like 1/3 of every batch I've ordered recently have had warped stems or some other mechanical problem. I'm really tired of playing the switch lottery.
Jades were close to being what I want, but I don't like how they sound.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 10:55:50 »

I've tried them all, yes. I've been very disappointed with the QC of Box switches as of late; it feels like 1/3 of every batch I've ordered recently have had warped stems or some other mechanical problem. I'm really tired of playing the switch lottery.

Interesting. I haven't ordered any lately. I still have bags of all 3 sitting around unused. I'm not very choosy, what problems have the warped stems caused? What other problems have you had?

Jades sound very nice to me for clickies. I have had listeners (I work in a school district) basically unanimously choose them over capacitive and membrane buckling spring, box navies and (obviously) MX blue. They're no SKCM Alps ... but nothing really is. I like how even capacitive buckling spring sounds though too ... even in the super pingy XT cases.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline IneffableCrab

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 13:13:25 »

Interesting. I haven't ordered any lately. I still have bags of all 3 sitting around unused. I'm not very choosy, what problems have the warped stems caused? What other problems have you had?

Jades sound very nice to me for clickies. I have had listeners (I work in a school district) basically unanimously choose them over capacitive and membrane buckling spring, box navies and (obviously) MX blue. They're no SKCM Alps ... but nothing really is. I like how even capacitive buckling spring sounds though too ... even in the super pingy XT cases.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I realize now that I misspoke in my last post: the jades I got from Novelkeys were actually fine. However, out of the 110 navys I bought from Drop about 30 of them had some serious issues--and the crystal navys I bought from KPrepublic were way worse. The problem has mainly been keys sitting crooked when I put them on. At first I thought I was just mounting the switches improperly or that my keycaps stems were twisted, but after taking the problem switches apart and testing the board with some control switches, it became clear that a good chunk of the navys I bought have issues. I've read that this isn't an unheard of issue--but who knows, the only other people I could find talking about it were on Reddit, and I have opinions about that site.

Anyway. I can't really articulate what it is about jades that I don't like; I think it's just that they aren't "bassy" enough, if that makes any sense. I dunno, what I want may just be a unicorn that doesn't exist yet, or I need to find a good case/plate combo. (Which is really been a challenge since full size/1800 layout kits are comparatively rare.) The biggest issue is that I borrowed my friend's Alps board for a month and now nothing sounds good enough! The sound test for these switches sounded promising, and I'm excited to see how the samples I ordered perform. (Which should be shipping soon, yeah?)
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 March 2022, 13:16:02 by IneffableCrab »

Offline Banzai

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 14:31:59 »
I picked a good time to get back into this hobby. I've thought for years we need more switch innovation than the same Cherry clones slightly iterated on over and over again. I got bored as hell after the millionth linear JWK recolor de jour.

Happened to think I'd poke my head into GeekHack today and, what do you know, Zeal finally delivered on the Clicky Alps spring switch he's been hinting at for 2 years. $1.30 a switch may be steep, but I'm more than willing to throw money at something interesting and different. Especially if it's as good as these seem to be. Ordered 70, know just the board they're gonna go in, and can't wait to build it.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 16:04:36 »

I realize now that I misspoke in my last post: the jades I got from Novelkeys were actually fine. However, out of the 110 navys I bought from Drop about 30 of them had some serious issues--and the crystal navys I bought from KPrepublic were way worse. The problem has mainly been keys sitting crooked when I put them on. At first I thought I was just mounting the switches improperly or that my keycaps stems were twisted, but after taking the problem switches apart and testing the board with some control switches, it became clear that a good chunk of the navys I bought have issues. I've read that this isn't an unheard of issue--but who knows, the only other people I could find talking about it were on Reddit, and I have opinions about that site.

Anyway. I can't really articulate what it is about jades that I don't like; I think it's just that they aren't "bassy" enough, if that makes any sense. I dunno, what I want may just be a unicorn that doesn't exist yet, or I need to find a good case/plate combo. (Which is really been a challenge since full size/1800 layout kits are comparatively rare.) The biggest issue is that I borrowed my friend's Alps board for a month and now nothing sounds good enough! The sound test for these switches sounded promising, and I'm excited to see how the samples I ordered perform. (Which should be shipping soon, yeah?)

I haven't bought any box switches from Drop or KPrepublic, but I also haven't bought any at all in quite some time either. I also don't even care if caps are a little crooked when I solder switches in and rarely ever use hot swap boards where I could easily test if it wasn't just me being sloppy. I do have a Drop Alt I could play with though if I get bored and inquisitive.

If box jades or pinks aren't bassy enough for you, your only real options for clickies are Alps and Matias. Maybe membrane buckling spring, but people tend to either love or hate those.

I picked a good time to get back into this hobby. I've thought for years we need more switch innovation than the same Cherry clones slightly iterated on over and over again. I got bored as hell after the millionth linear JWK recolor de jour.

Happened to think I'd poke my head into GeekHack today and, what do you know, Zeal finally delivered on the Clicky Alps spring switch he's been hinting at for 2 years. $1.30 a switch may be steep, but I'm more than willing to throw money at something interesting and different. Especially if it's as good as these seem to be. Ordered 70, know just the board they're gonna go in, and can't wait to build it.

Indeed. Down with the pointless MX clone horde.

Offline IneffableCrab

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 17:01:39 »

If box jades or pinks aren't bassy enough for you, your only real options for clickies are Alps and Matias. Maybe membrane buckling spring, but people tend to either love or hate those.

Don't tempt me--I am so close to just diving face first down the Alps rabbit-hole. When TKC restocked their 1800 kit recently I bought an Alps plate in addition to the kit "just in case."

Buckling springs are alright. I have a Model M that I like to pull out and use every now and then; I really like how sturdy it feels.

Offline phinix

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 03:02:43 »
Anyone already tried these?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 09:52:20 »

Don't tempt me--I am so close to just diving face first down the Alps rabbit-hole. When TKC restocked their 1800 kit recently I bought an Alps plate in addition to the kit "just in case."

Buckling springs are alright. I have a Model M that I like to pull out and use every now and then; I really like how sturdy it feels.

Matias' switches aren't quite as good as SKCM, but they're not that far off. They're cheap enough to literally be disposable too if you're good with a soldering iron.

The Model M really isn't sturdy though. IBM should never have used plastic rivets. There are many designs that are much more robust. I don't like typing on on them much myself, old or new. Capacitive buckling spring is much crisper, smoother and more consistent. People are just put off by their higher pitch and pinginess. They're literally up there with Alps for me, whereas membrane buckling spring literally just sent me back to MX blues when I first tried them. I wouldn't make the same choice today, but that's still saying something. A bargain F XT was what finally got me to start trying other vintage swithes, and then box, etc, later.

Chyros has a review on them.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 03 March 2022, 07:48:58 »
you guys

https://i.imgur.com/BsKOeaM.png
lmao this is so accurate

For a certain trendy/herd subgroup, yes.

I wouldn't expect too many of them to care about a new mechanism, they should be fawning over the latest MX clone flavor of the week.

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 04 March 2022, 11:36:55 »

Chryosran reviewed them pretty favorably:

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 08:17:59 »
Any updates on the status of these? The ship date just keeps getting pushed back. Are they stuck on a container ship on the west coast or something?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 21 April 2022, 20:24:01 »
Any updates on the status of these? The ship date just keeps getting pushed back. Are they stuck on a container ship on the west coast or something?

We express air freight all our switches. There were manufacturing delays, but we finally just received our first batch. We already sent out a handful of orders today before FedEx did their last round of pick ups. More will be sent out tomorrow. A few early order customers should also be receiving their orders tomorrow/Monday.

We've instructed Gateron to ship out switches in smaller batches so we receive the switches earlier, instead of in bulk. This way orders are sent out faster and it prevents a large batch of switches getting stuck in China due to lockdowns that keep occurring.

Offline FAMOUSKBD

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 21 April 2022, 20:57:25 »
$1.30 sounds good

Offline thechemtrailkid

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 21 April 2022, 22:53:40 »
Just got my shipping notification  ;D

Super excited for these.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 08:01:11 »

We express air freight all our switches. There were manufacturing delays, but we finally just received our first batch. We already sent out a handful of orders today before FedEx did their last round of pick ups. More will be sent out tomorrow. A few early order customers should also be receiving their orders tomorrow/Monday.

We've instructed Gateron to ship out switches in smaller batches so we receive the switches earlier, instead of in bulk. This way orders are sent out faster and it prevents a large batch of switches getting stuck in China due to lockdowns that keep occurring.

Cool. Thanks for the update.

Offline RobinsonW

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 06 May 2022, 07:05:34 »
Got my 40g Clickiez and love them! So close to the perfect modern Alps replacement - if they could have just that little bit less tactility to match SKCM Blue/Orange they'd be my main switch going forward for sure.

I've had an issue with the return force on the space bar though - using a KAT space bar (weighing about 9 grams) it gets stuck on the way up quite a lot. It might be something to do with stab alignment as it's not as bad using a heavier SA spacebar that I have, though it still feels somewhat sluggish with that, but the KAT spacebar is fine with other switches. I'm using a linear switch for space instead now anyway, which I tend to prefer so not a big deal for me.

Ultra-tactile mode is a nice novelty (I like having one on Escape) but pretty much unusable for typing I think. Linear is ridiculously light. I haven't bothered with more than one switch on either yet.

Hasn't felt like lubing is necessary but maybe will at some point. I do wonder if lubing the tactile leaves will reduce tactility in a good way or not. Hard to tell without doing a full board and it wouldn't be easy to reverse.

Definitely in the market for reduced-tactility leaves if they come out. I feel like you'd have to have one a lot less tactile in order to have a normal amount of tactility with the leaf in the non-clicky position.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 13:27:37 »
Got my 40g Clickiez and love them! So close to the perfect modern Alps replacement - if they could have just that little bit less tactility to match SKCM Blue/Orange they'd be my main switch going forward for sure.

I've had an issue with the return force on the space bar though - using a KAT space bar (weighing about 9 grams) it gets stuck on the way up quite a lot. It might be something to do with stab alignment as it's not as bad using a heavier SA spacebar that I have, though it still feels somewhat sluggish with that, but the KAT spacebar is fine with other switches. I'm using a linear switch for space instead now anyway, which I tend to prefer so not a big deal for me.

Ultra-tactile mode is a nice novelty (I like having one on Escape) but pretty much unusable for typing I think. Linear is ridiculously light. I haven't bothered with more than one switch on either yet.

Hasn't felt like lubing is necessary but maybe will at some point. I do wonder if lubing the tactile leaves will reduce tactility in a good way or not. Hard to tell without doing a full board and it wouldn't be easy to reverse.

Definitely in the market for reduced-tactility leaves if they come out. I feel like you'd have to have one a lot less tactile in order to have a normal amount of tactility with the leaf in the non-clicky position.

Thanks for the input, especially the space bar issue. When did you order yours? I got a shipping notification late April but there haven't been any updates to it.

Offline RobinsonW

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 10 May 2022, 09:24:21 »

Thanks for the input, especially the space bar issue. When did you order yours? I got a shipping notification late April but there haven't been any updates to it.

Ordered mid-Jan and got the shipping notification April 27th. Arrived in the UK just over a week later.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 10 May 2022, 09:33:56 »

Ordered mid-Jan and got the shipping notification April 27th. Arrived in the UK just over a week later.

Good to know. I ordered in February, so I guess there may just still be a backlog.

Offline IneffableCrab

« Reply #100 on: Sat, 21 May 2022, 21:01:06 »
Just got mine in the mail earlier this week and put them in the test board. I've been swapping between the two weights, and I'm very surprised how much I like the 40g ones. That said, for some reason I just don't vibe with the 75g ones. (Which is weird because I generally like a heavier key press; I was really expecting that to go the other way around!)

I need to type on them for a little bit longer before deciding, but the 40g Clickiez are a serious contender for my 1800 board. I only ordered 20 of each to try them out, so getting the rest to outfit a full sized board won't be cheap--but what is in this hobby? I'm pretty sure I'll get in on the next round of pre-orders anyway.

Offline Telstar

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 17 October 2022, 15:03:48 »
Anyone has some spares? I need to test the clickiez 40g and crystals, just 1-2 pieces each.