Author Topic: Full size keyboard peripheral for smartphone?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline theapodan

Full size keyboard peripheral for smartphone?
« on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 22:22:43 »
First time posting here, lurker of about 2 weeks.  Hello.

So after 4 years of owning a simple cell phone only capable of making and receiving calls (Motorola F3, if you are curious) I have been considering something more modern, maybe a smartphone.  These new phones seem to be functionally equivalent to a computer, but with a dinky screen and an even dinkier keyboard.

I was unaware, but there are bluetooth keyboard peripherals that will work with these smartphones.  Motorola makes one, for example:
Motorola Wireless Keyboard

Is it practical at all, for purposes of mobile composition, to replace a laptop with a smartphone and bluetooth keyboard, or is there a reason I've never seen this, like it's hell to type more than 200 words or the screen size is just too small and the editing limitations too severe?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 22:26:54 »
There are limits... for instance you need to double check that your phone and OS support it.
[video=youtube;Aj9qC3oKcZU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj9qC3oKcZU[/video]

Also, all it's going to do is make it easier to type emails or long notes to yourself, I can't think of any reason I'd bother attempting to do something truly productive on my cell.  For that I tote my laptop and wifi tether it to the cell.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline spdx

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 22:38:14 »
There could be some other alternatives such as (1). AmazonBasic Bluetooth Keyboard  (2). Apple Wireless Keyboard  (3). Logitech Tablet Keyboard.