Author Topic: Rosewill RK9000 hardwire mod  (Read 1928 times)

Offline sukumizu

Rosewill RK9000 hardwire mod
« on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 02:08:50 »
Hey guys, first post here on geekhack and I could really use some help (I really hope that I'm not posting this in the wrong place). The usb port on my Rosewill RK9000 decided to give out on me and I just decided that hard-wiring the usb cable to the board itself would be the best choice of action so I don't have a repeat incident. I found a image on this site that had guidelines on how to go about doing so, but apparently the model I own is a later one so the soldering points aren't exactly in the same spots...

I've tried putting in a usb cable as indicated in my attached photo (top board is mine, bottom is the one I found on Google) but it just doesn't seem to be working. The keyboard itself powers up but Windows just detects a malfunctioning USB device the moment I plug it in.

Offline tgujay

Re: Rosewill RK9000 hardwire mod
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 12:00:36 »
I'm by no means an expert but I would say that the solder on the traces could be messing stuff up/shorting it out.
Gotta collect them all

Offline sukumizu

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 17:11:59 »
Hmm, I've been closely looking around the board and it doesn't look like any of the solder points is spilling over to any of the traces...

Offline Grimey

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 22:01:38 »
By looking at the image you provided, I am working if the trace below the 5 connector points was eaten by this?  It appears the the PCB might have been damaged somewhat at this spot?  If you have a volt-meter you could see if connection exists across that trace, or just try manually jumping that point.
Erlang your pants off

Offline sukumizu

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 00:55:32 »
Thanks for the response guys, managed to get this keyboard back up and running again...Oh how I missed the sound of blue switches.

Basically just took a knife and cut the traces from the beginning point of the 5 holes and resoldered the red wire to a spot about an inch above where I originally had it connected. Hot glued the points, dremeled a couple of necessary holes and all is good. It's not exactly pretty but I have confidence that it should last me a long while.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 09:07:43 »
Glad to hear, having fixed on of these myself it makes you wonder what amount of money these connectors might have saved other than going with something else.
Erlang your pants off