Author Topic: Welcome new members!  (Read 793195 times)

Offline Vox_PT

Re: Welcome new members!
« Reply #450 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:01:39 »
Hello GeekHack community, I'm also a new user here. Since I got my 1st mech a few months ago I must admit that I'm already hooked! :p

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #451 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:05:15 »
Hello GeekHack community, I'm also a new user here. Since I got my 1st mech a few months ago I must admit that I'm already hooked! :p

Welcome to GH! Which board did you go with?  :)
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Vox_PT

« Reply #452 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:19:10 »

My 1st keyboard was a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i but I was almost forced to replace it because the leds started to die on me really fast, so I sent it back to the store where I got it from and they gave me a credit note to purchase something else from the store that I wanted. Since I was enjoying the Rapid-i I went with a Quickfire XT with Browns (that store doesn't have much choice unfortunately, and I was sure I wanted a keyboard with Cherry switches instead of Kailh). I don't miss the backlighting anyway.
It's a rather simple and sober looking board and I like that.

A few weeks ago I found a Turtle Beach Impact 500 (I think that's the name...) with Cherry MX Blues on Amazon.co.uk for a really low price (got it gor about 54 euros with shipping) and bought it too.
It's a surprisingly well built keyboard considering it comes from a "gamer" oriented brand. It's solid and looks simple (looks a bit like a Filco Majestouch 2 tbh, I think that's where they got the design from...).

I already purchased a couple of keysets for both.
Here are a few pictures I took today:

Excuse the potato quality please. I am a terrible photographer and I took these with my phone's camera.  :))
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:24:30 by Vox_PT »

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #453 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:29:21 »

My 1st keyboard was a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i but I was almost forced to replace it because the leds started to die on me really fast, so I sent it back to the store where I got it from and they gave me a credit note to purchase something else from the store that I wanted. Since I was enjoying the Rapid-i I went with a Quickfire XT with Browns (that store doesn't have much choice unfortunately, and I was sure I wanted a keyboard with Cherry switches instead of Kailh). I don't miss the backlighting anyway.
It's a rather simple and sober looking board and I like that.

A few weeks ago I found a Turtle Beach Impact 500 (I think that's the name...) with Cherry MX Blues on Amazon.co.uk for a really low price (got it gor about 54 euros with shipping) and bought it too.
It's a surprisingly well built keyboard considering it comes from a "gamer" oriented brand. It's solid and looks simple (looks a bit like a Filco Majestouch 2 tbh, I think that's where they got the design from...).

I already purchased a couple of keysets for both.
Here are a few pictures I took today:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Excuse the potato quality please. I am a terrible photographer and I took these with my phone's camera.  :))

Lookin' good!  I saw your post on GH Media too, lots of RGB! Kudos to you for going Otaku after buying your first mech board only a few months ago.  I've considered it but I think I need to get a bit better at typing first  :thumb:
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Vox_PT

« Reply #454 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:44:58 »
Lookin' good!  I saw your post on GH Media too, lots of RGB! Kudos to you for going Otaku after buying your first mech board only a few months ago.  I've considered it but I think I need to get a bit better at typing first  :thumb:

Thanks! I actually got that Ducky Blue/Grey (it's on the QF XT) set from Massdrop because I am slowly trying to learn how to touch-type (I'm still awful at it haha, I make a lot of mistakes). I wanted something that looks clean, almost without legends but I still wasn't feeling confident enough to go with blank keycaps yet, so I went for that PBT set which is laser engraved (according to them). It's kind of a middle ground between a normal printed set and a blank one.  ;D
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:48:00 by Vox_PT »

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #455 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:50:12 »

Thanks! I actually got that Ducky Blue/Grey (it's on the QF XT) set from Massdrop because I am slowly trying to learn how to touch-type (I'm still awful at it haha, I make a lot of mistakes). I wanted something that looks clean, almost without legends but I wasn't confident going with blanks yet, so I went for that set which is laser engraved (according to them). It's kind of a middle ground between a normal printed set and a blank one.  ;D

Ohh yeah it's on Massdrop right now!  I really like www.keybr.com for learning touchtyping so you might want to try it out.  Everybody has their own preferences when it comes to learning/practising typing though.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #456 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 04:14:20 »
Thanks!  I got the DSA Dolch keyset from Massdrop a while back so I'm still waiting on them.  I had originally planned to put them on the Varmilo, but after reading peoples' comments, they might end up on my smaller pok3r.

You never know, you might like them so much you seek a second set to have the same on both keyboards!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #457 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 04:15:42 »
You know what, I'm going to make separate replies in this thread.  It's awkward quoting and replying to several different posts in one amalgamated post, and makes any responses from the OP even more confusing. :p

Welcome to Geekhack!

By your signature I'm guessing you have two keyboards now?  Which ones are they?  Which switches have you got?

nm I should read more before i post :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline shoking

« Reply #458 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 17:18:39 »
Hey Greeting from Portugal i own 2 CM Storm TK (blue and browns, one ISO and other ANSI), but im looking for a better TLK one now !
and i think im hooked on Keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #459 on: Thu, 26 November 2015, 03:57:32 »
Hey Greeting from Portugal i own 2 CM Storm TK (blue and browns, one ISO and other ANSI), but im looking for a better TLK one now !
and i think im hooked on Keyboards

Welcome to Geekhack!

Hooked on keyboards - just wait until you see the keycap sets.  And the artisan keycaps!

This is a very deep rabbit hole ;)

Offline triangle

« Reply #460 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 04:58:27 »
Hello!
My name is Triangle and I come from Finland.
My interest in mechanical keyboards has been growing since I got my first mech few months back.
Recently I've been reading /r/mechanicalkeyboards a lot and decided that I can as well register here :D
I currently have Corsair K65RGB with reds, and just bought Rapoo KX which will probably arrive today or tomorrow.(22€ from black friday sales, wooo!)
I also plan on getting POK3R with some cool keycap set, and maybe replacing the Kaihl yellows in Rapoo KX with MX blues.(I expect mechs killing my wallet at some point :D)
I will probably be asking a lot of help from here with those projects.
Edit: wording
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 December 2015, 05:00:55 by triangle »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #461 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 09:37:30 »
Hello!
My interest in mechanical keyboards has been growing since I got my first mech few months back.
Recently I've been reading /r/mechanicalkeyboards a lot and decided that I can as well register here :D
I currently have Corsair K65RGB with reds, and just bought Rapoo KX which will probably arrive today or tomorrow.(22€ from black friday sales, wooo!)
I also plan on getting POK3R with some cool keycap set, and maybe replacing the Kaihl yellows in Rapoo KX with MX blues.(I expect mechs killing my wallet at some point :D)

Welcome to GeekHack!

I'd welcome you to WalletHack but it would seem you've been introduced already. :p

Happy Keyboarding!

Offline triangle

« Reply #462 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 14:04:23 »
-quote-

Welcome to GeekHack!

I'd welcome you to WalletHack but it would seem you've been introduced already. :p

Happy Keyboarding!
Thanks!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #463 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 04:04:58 »
Hello!

Welcome to Geekhack!

With a forum name like triangle, you're going to get some odd comments from time to time ;)

That's a very good price on the Rapoo! :)

To swap switches you "only" need to remove the case, desolder the existing switches, solder the new ones in, and reassemble the case.  For soldering help, see .  Best if you can find an old circuit board from any discarded electronic equipment and practice removing and replacing random components on there first, before you take a soldering iron near your precious (if you do not have prior soldering experience, of course).

Offline cseng

« Reply #464 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 10:21:47 »
Enjoy your stay everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #465 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 04:12:55 »
Did I really post that link above? :))

At least it works if you klikc it!

Got to pay attention more when typing ...

Offline Anastasia

« Reply #466 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:52:36 »
Hello Geekhack! I am a long time lurker but first time poster.

My favorite board is the HHKB Pro 2. It converted me from a MX fanboy to a Topre worshiper.  :))

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #467 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 20:07:33 »

My favorite board is the HHKB Pro 2. It converted me from a MX fanboy to a Topre worshiper.  :))

you mean from lost to found. welcome to the church of hhkb, we have cookies.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #468 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 21:58:33 »

I never got my cookie :(

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #469 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 22:18:42 »

I never got my cookie :(

it's in the mail!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #470 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 05:04:48 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

What other keyboards/switches did you try before getting the best one?

Offline gain

« Reply #471 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 05:25:12 »
Hiya

Been browsing on/off for some time now.

I've cycled through a few keyboards, but so far the HHKB Pro Type-S (JIS layout with the arrow keys) is by far my favourite. JIS Layout didn't end up sitting as well as I thought it would... Oops. I've had it as my daily driver for a few weeks now.. I dunno, maybe I should keep at it.

I like to obsess over more than just the feel and look of the keyboard, which is commonplace here and something I enjoy reading about.

I'll pop up every now and then, I also take too long to type out posts :V

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #472 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 03:58:43 »
Hiya

Been browsing on/off for some time now.

I've cycled through a few keyboards, but so far the HHKB Pro Type-S (JIS layout with the arrow keys) is by far my favourite. JIS Layout didn't end up sitting as well as I thought it would... Oops. I've had it as my daily driver for a few weeks now.. I dunno, maybe I should keep at it.

I like to obsess over more than just the feel and look of the keyboard, which is commonplace here and something I enjoy reading about.

I'll pop up every now and then, I also take too long to type out posts :V

Welcome to Geekhack!

HHKB can take a few weeks to become accustomed to the layout, at least the US layout (for want of a better term for it).  I have not tried the JIS layout, so I have no idea how long that would take!

I keep swapping between TKL ANSI keyboards and my HHKB, so it's taking me longer to acquire the muscle memory of the layout, but I get by.

Many see posting as an opportunity to use or favourite keyboards :)

Where did you get the HHKB from, if you don't mind my asking.  Not many places (i.e. none) sell them in Australia.

Offline gain

« Reply #473 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 01:28:57 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

HHKB can take a few weeks to become accustomed to the layout, at least the US layout (for want of a better term for it).  I have not tried the JIS layout, so I have no idea how long that would take!

I keep swapping between TKL ANSI keyboards and my HHKB, so it's taking me longer to acquire the muscle memory of the layout, but I get by.

Where did you get the HHKB from, if you don't mind my asking.  Not many places (i.e. none) sell them in Australia.

Thanks! Definitely, JIS layout is a little awkward, going shift-2 for quotation marks or shift-7 for an apostrophe throws me off quite a bit, aside from that the rest is pretty comfy (I reckon), the feel of the keyboard makes up for it :V

I bought it via a member of the shmups forum (I have a bit of a history in arcade rhythm/shooting games) who runs a little shop as well as some proxy work here and there. The keyboard itself came from Amazon JP with an additional blue keycap set :>

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #474 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 19:25:54 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks! Definitely, JIS layout is a little awkward, going shift-2 for quotation marks or shift-7 for an apostrophe throws me off quite a bit, aside from that the rest is pretty comfy (I reckon), the feel of the keyboard makes up for it :V

I bought it via a member of the shmups forum (I have a bit of a history in arcade rhythm/shooting games) who runs a little shop as well as some proxy work here and there. The keyboard itself came from Amazon JP with an additional blue keycap set :>

I remember when shift 2 was " - that was a long time ago and it took me a while to get used to shift 2 suddenly becoming @.  But now I would have a difficult time switching back, so I can understand your reaction.

You got a whole blue Topre keycap set?  Cool!  They are becoming difficult to find these days!

Offline eagleheardt

« Reply #475 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 13:06:10 »
I'm just here for the key cap sales :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #476 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:33:36 »
I'm just here for the key cap sales :)

Welcome to Geekhack!

Fair enough, although you're welcome to join in any discussion that you'd like to :)

Especially discussions about upcoming keycap sets - have your say and provide input into a set.

Offline SunTanScanMan

« Reply #477 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 00:40:03 »
Hello Geekhack community. New member here.
The current keyboards I own are the Das Model S Professional with the Brown switches. I have recently acquired the HHKB Professional 2 as I wanted a smaller form keyboard and also wanted to try out topre switches. I am really enjoying the typing experience on it.

My first mech keyboard was the SteelSeries 6GV2 with mx blacks. A reasonably priced, solidly built keyboard. The letters started fading pretty soon, but a very nice keyboard nonetheless. I also owned the Razer Ultimate 2013 with blues, which I never got used to. Something about the key spacing meant that I never really enjoyed typing on it. I did appreciate the macro keys for data inputting. It developed a fault and I was able to purchase the Das with the refund.

I will probably sell my Das for a Pok3r with blues in the near future.
HHKB Professional 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Leopold FC750R w/blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #478 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 00:56:45 »
Hello Geekhack community. New member here.
The current keyboards I own are the Das Model S Professional with the Brown switches. I have recently acquired the HHKB Professional 2 as I wanted a smaller form keyboard and also wanted to try out topre switches. I am really enjoying the typing experience on it.

My first mech keyboard was the SteelSeries 6GV2 with mx blacks. A reasonably priced, solidly built keyboard. The letters started fading pretty soon, but a very nice keyboard nonetheless. I also owned the Razer Ultimate 2013 with blues, which I never got used to. Something about the key spacing meant that I never really enjoyed typing on it. I did appreciate the macro keys for data inputting. It developed a fault and I was able to purchase the Das with the refund.

I will probably sell my Das for a Pok3r with blues in the near future.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Many would say if you have HHKB why would you want another keyboard? :p

Offline SunTanScanMan

« Reply #479 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 01:39:11 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

Many would say if you have HHKB why would you want another keyboard? :p
[/quote]

Ha you have good point there. Of course 'near future' is a relative term... But I do want to give blues another chance some time as I did like its clicky sound.  :)

However, yes you are correct, I feel more than spoilt with the HHKB.

*sorry for the layout, evidently I am still getting used to using this forum  :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 January 2016, 01:45:05 by SunTanScanMan »
HHKB Professional 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Leopold FC750R w/blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #480 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 04:24:43 »
Ha you have good point there. Of course 'near future' is a relative term... But I do want to give blues another chance some time as I did like its clicky sound.  :)

However, yes you are correct, I feel more than spoilt with the HHKB.

*sorry for the layout, evidently I am still getting used to using this forum  :)

Quoting works, most of the time ;)

Experience with a variety of switches and keyboards will serve you well :)

Offline gerbercj

« Reply #481 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 23:55:53 »
First off, super happy to be here. I'm a long-time keyboard lover who is looking to build my own keyboard from scratch. I went from using an IBM Model M, to getting a Ducky Shine, to ordering and building an Atreus kit, and now want to go from zero to hero. I'm excited to learn from you all, and to get inspired.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #482 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 05:41:01 »
First off, super happy to be here. I'm a long-time keyboard lover who is looking to build my own keyboard from scratch. I went from using an IBM Model M, to getting a Ducky Shine, to ordering and building an Atreus kit, and now want to go from zero to hero. I'm excited to learn from you all, and to get inspired.

Welcome to Geekhack!

The recommended reading thread is probably a good place to start.

Then have a look around in , where others have created build logs and other DIY-type threads.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #483 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 20:05:33 »
Good evening,
My name's William Jones & I'm a new member. I got my first mechanical keyboard this past August. It was a Corsair K60RGB w/ cherry mx red switches. I later exchanged it for a k70rgb w/ cherry reds. I then picked up a Rosewill rgb80 tkl w/ khail browns. I later got rid out both keyboards b/c I didn't care for the software. I know own a 3 Varmilo mechanical keyboards (108 key w/ gateron reds & white leds, a tkl w/ gateron browns & orange leds, and bluetooth tkl w/ gateron blues & white leds). I recently picked up a white fox kit w/ zealios 67g purple switches, it's going to be a while before I have it. Either way, I'm happy. I've picked up some keycap sets too. I've Ocean blue Signature Plastics, Ducky pink & white set, yellow Varmilos, and translucent black Max Key w/ front backlit font. I love mechanical keyboards. I hope to pick up a Vortex pok3r RGB when it finally releases or if I get impatient, 1 of the current backlit pok3rs. I also hope to get 2 40% mechanical keyboards. With the 40s, I want either a jd40, plank, or a gobalt40. I know this much, I enjoy computers & I really love mechanical keyboards! :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 January 2016, 20:26:43 by William_S_Jones »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #484 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 00:06:05 »
Good evening,
My name's William Jones & I'm a new member. I got my first mechanical keyboard this past August. It was a Corsair K60RGB w/ cherry mx red switches. I later exchanged it for a k70rgb w/ cherry reds. I then picked up a Rosewill rgb80 tkl w/ khail browns. I later got rid out both keyboards b/c I didn't care for the software. I know own a 3 Varmilo mechanical keyboards (108 key w/ gateron reds & white leds, a tkl w/ gateron browns & orange leds, and bluetooth tkl w/ gateron blues & white leds). I recently picked up a white fox kit w/ zealios 67g purple switches, it's going to be a while before I have it. Either way, I'm happy. I've picked up some keycap sets too. I've Ocean blue Signature Plastics, Ducky pink & white set, yellow Varmilos, and translucent black Max Key w/ front backlit font. I love mechanical keyboards. I hope to pick up a Vortex pok3r RGB when it finally releases or if I get impatient, 1 of the current backlit pok3rs. I also hope to get 2 40% mechanical keyboards. With the 40s, I want either a jd40, plank, or a gobalt40. I know this much, I enjoy computers & I really love mechanical keyboards! :thumb:

Welcome to Geekhack!

That's quite a collection you've started!

Out of all those have you found a favourite switch?

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #485 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 11:25:32 »
Thanks for the warm welcome.
As of now it's a tie between gateron blues & browns. The blues are good for home use & the browns are my go to for work. I've got some things to do w/ my family, but soon as I get the chance, I'll post some pictures.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #486 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 20:56:04 »
Thanks for the warm welcome.
As of now it's a tie between gateron blues & browns. The blues are good for home use & the browns are my go to for work. I've got some things to do w/ my family, but soon as I get the chance, I'll post some pictures.

Did you get complaints from work about clicky keyboards?  Some people don't seem to like them, for some unfathomable reason :eek:

Offline frogthejam19

• Good Vibrations
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 07:13:54 »
Hi all. I've been lurking for a bit and decided to make a new account a few days ago. I'm still pretty new to the KB game maybe a few months?  I'm currently using a Pok3r with mx blues and will be expecting a realforce 55g in a few days.

For those who carry Keyboards I have a few questions?

is the Realforce something reasonable to carry to classes? Spring Semester starts a week from now and I will be taking the bulk of my notes except for Bio classes on my computer.

This is a great forum please treat me well. :blank:
"All is Well"

Offline runningaround1

« Reply #488 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 19:23:29 »
Hi, I am new member. I just purchased my first mech 2 months :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #489 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 03:30:45 »
Hi all. I've been lurking for a bit and decided to make a new account a few days ago. I'm still pretty new to the KB game maybe a few months?  I'm currently using a Pok3r with mx blues and will be expecting a realforce 55g in a few days.

For those who carry Keyboards I have a few questions?

is the Realforce something reasonable to carry to classes? Spring Semester starts a week from now and I will be taking the bulk of my notes except for Bio classes on my computer.

This is a great forum please treat me well. :blank:

Welcome to Geekhack!

A nice couple of keyboards you have :)

Although the RealForce is fine to carry around with you, it does have a metal plate in it and may start to get heavy after a while.  The Poker would be lighter and smaller (fit into a smaller bag).  An HHKB would be a good compromise between the two - Topre switches, 60% size, no heavy metal plate, ideal to carry around ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #490 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 03:31:07 »
Hi, I am new member. I just purchased my first mech 2 months :thumb:

Welcome to Geekhack!

Which keyboard did you get, and what made you choose that one?

Offline keru

« Reply #491 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 15:23:09 »
Hi, I'm new to geekhack. Just started using mechanical keyboards a few weeks ago after I finished building my atreus keyboard and the corresponding TMK firmware for STM32.

Now looking to add a trackpoint before starting another build, maybe an ergodox.

If anybody has any suggestion as to an alternative to the trackpoint that is not a mouse and can live on a convenient place on the keyboard, I'm open. I already tried an analog joystick, but it's not sensitive enough to replace a trackpoint.

Offline kuwan

« Reply #492 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 08:12:17 »
Hey guys!

Been a lurker here for a short while. I am still waiting for my pre-ordered first mech kb from mechanicalkeyboards.com.
It's a 60% keyboard with Matias Click type switch. (+1 for ALPS! )

Just finished learning the proper/standard typing for QWERTY last December and I'm now at ~90 wpm (though I'm at ~70 wpm back then while using only 8 fingers) using the keyboard of my laptop so I decided to look for a decent keyboard to help me on my 150-200 wpm journey.

I've learned so much stuff already from this community!

Cheers!

« Reply #493 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 20:13:18 »
Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it.

« Reply #494 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 20:14:18 »
I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #495 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 13:13:09 »
Just registered here; wanted to express appreciation and admiration for what you all do here.  This community looks to be very knowledgeable and informative!

Thanks again.
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #496 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 23:48:43 »
Hi, I'm new to geekhack. Just started using mechanical keyboards a few weeks ago after I finished building my atreus keyboard and the corresponding TMK firmware for STM32.

Now looking to add a trackpoint before starting another build, maybe an ergodox.

If anybody has any suggestion as to an alternative to the trackpoint that is not a mouse and can live on a convenient place on the keyboard, I'm open. I already tried an analog joystick, but it's not sensitive enough to replace a trackpoint.

Welcome to Geekhack!

An interesting question, to which I do not have an answer.

Not everyone browses this area of Geekhack, so if you don't get a response, you could try creating a thread in, erm ..., maybe the input devices section would be a good place to start.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #497 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 23:50:24 »
Hey guys!

Been a lurker here for a short while. I am still waiting for my pre-ordered first mech kb from mechanicalkeyboards.com.
It's a 60% keyboard with Matias Click type switch. (+1 for ALPS! )

Just finished learning the proper/standard typing for QWERTY last December and I'm now at ~90 wpm (though I'm at ~70 wpm back then while using only 8 fingers) using the keyboard of my laptop so I decided to look for a decent keyboard to help me on my 150-200 wpm journey.

I've learned so much stuff already from this community!

Cheers!

Welcome to Geekhack!

Another voice to add to the chorus demanding Alps keycap sets :)

90wpm is quite respectable!  Although expect a drop when you start typing on a real keyboard until your fingers become accustomed to the feel of the switches.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #498 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 23:52:21 »
Thanks a lot for sharing this amazing knowledge with us. This site is fantastic. I always find great knowledge from it.

I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts

Welcome to Geekhack!

A good place to start for general background information is the recommended reading thread.

If you need to know anything more specific, you can either ask in the simple questions thread (if it hasn't been asked already), or if it is a more complicated topic then by starting a new thread in the appropriate area.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #499 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 23:53:30 »
Just registered here; wanted to express appreciation and admiration for what you all do here.  This community looks to be very knowledgeable and informative!

Thanks again.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Which aspect of it interests you the most?

There is so much to keyboards that most people don't realise, until you open their eyes to keyboards, switches, 60%, 40%, keycaps, artisans, switches, buckling springs, rubber domes, lube, stickers, balls and the list goes on.