Author Topic: [Feedback] GMK Rave  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Thon

[Feedback] GMK Rave
« on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 00:21:13 »
282730-0

Heya! Let us introduce you to our debut keycap set:
282732-1

Feedback Form Link
Discord Link

A little about us:
This set is a collaborative effort between Thon and Vutid. We are frens and we like rectangles and plastics. In around November of last year, we had the absolutely brilliant idea of running our own designs of keycaps to bring keycap sets that we want to life and hopefully someone else would like it too.

About GMK Rave:
We have spent the last couple of months finalising the design of GMK Rave. In the end, we narrowed it down to 2 designs that we have a hard time deciding which to run. Before continuing, we thought it'd be best to ask for your feedback.
So here we are. Rave V1 vs Rave V2. Please let us know which one you prefer in the feedback form if you are interested! Feel free to let us know your thoughts or any recommendations you have for this set as well!

Rave V1
282722-2
282726-3

Rave V2
282724-4
282728-5

**Please note that hex colors are only used as reference here. We will be referencing RAL D2 colors for color matching. Also, kitting has not been finalised yet. More work is of course needed once colors are settled.**

Also:
We are gathering feedback on which version of modifiers and sub-legends people would be more interested in, all of which can be found in the feedback form as well.

If there is enough interest, we would also want to make these daughter kits and collabs possible!

Potential daughter kits:
R0/R5 Compatibility Kit
Modifiers Accents Kit
Novelties

Collabs:
Rave-themed switches (base color housings, legend colours stems)
Artisans (neon sign aesthetic)
Deskmats (rave crowd, abstract themed)

Maybe we are asking a lot for feedback. At the end of the day, we really only wanted to make this a reality so we can use it, but thought we might as well make a set that more people would like.
Either way, thank you for reading our scuffed feedback post! Feel free to join our discord for any more thoughts or collabs or just want a place to hang out!

Offline ZavaZ86

Re: [Feedback] GMK Rave
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 02:17:07 »
How about we don't cuck the gmk line with whatever this is that will be filled with pad printing

Offline vutid

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 03:12:24 »
How about we don't cuck the gmk line with whatever this is that will be filled with pad printing

many people on reddit have pointed this out, we will definitely consider switching to other manufacturers!
GMK Rave

Offline trung11.kb

• Formerly tomkatsuuu
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 00:43:22 »
How many raves did you go to for inspiration

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 00:56:34 »
This would be much better served by a different manufacturer methinks.
ePBT reverse dyesub still has yet to prove itself and the leadtimes are very long, plus they've closed off new orders as of this moment. But it looks like you've got a lot of work to do still and plenty of time before this is a viable set so maybe it'll work out.

Things to consider: 3 or 4 key 40's and Alice support in base if GMK because 40's kits are generally too pricey and minibars can pull double duty between Alice and 40's. Maybe a full 40's kit will work for ePBT though.
I can't foresee the support being there for a R0/R5 base kit.

Offline wangledorf

• Formerly pewing
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 March 2022, 00:03:07 »

You might be surprised. I've pretty much stopped joining GBs at this point because I have plenty of keycap sets but if a GMK set ran with R0/R5 and ortho support I would probably order 5 of them because no one ever runs those profiles. A quick search on mechmarket shows at least half a dozen folks trying to buy the R0/R5 WoB extensions kit that ran recently.

If this added ortho support I'd buy multiple sets. I'd be happy to just ditch the sub-legends though. Having been a raver in my younger days, I don't really feel like they add anything to the theme.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 09:12:29 »
ever consider using JTK to run these since they have a triple shot process, also haven't seen many JTK runs over the past year+ compared to all of the GMK runs.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Thon

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 09:33:15 »
This would be much better served by a different manufacturer methinks.
ePBT reverse dyesub still has yet to prove itself and the leadtimes are very long, plus they've closed off new orders as of this moment. But it looks like you've got a lot of work to do still and plenty of time before this is a viable set so maybe it'll work out.

Things to consider: 3 or 4 key 40's and Alice support in base if GMK because 40's kits are generally too pricey and minibars can pull double duty between Alice and 40's. Maybe a full 40's kit will work for ePBT though.
Ditching the sublegends feels a little empty at least in my eyes. This alternating legends and sublegends idea is an original idea by us and it is the main appeal of the set, a kinda striking, crowded, and noisy aesthetic. There's been a lot of interest in R0/R5 support in this set as well as considering a different manufacturer for triple shot. Not sure if these 2 can collide so we are in the process of figuring out what is the best moving forward.

Offline Thon

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 09:40:55 »
ever consider using JTK to run these since they have a triple shot process, also haven't seen many JTK runs over the past year+ compared to all of the GMK runs.
We are deciding between DMK and JTK actually. DMK has yet to respond to us so it's likely we will be moving forward with JTK.

Offline VaporKeebs

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 20:38:08 »
I prefer the Rave V1 myself. Very cool design I think. It would be cool if the modifiers were a bit darker to give a suble two tone look.

Offline AeternusCo

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 12:32:18 »
We are deciding between DMK and JTK actually. DMK has yet to respond to us so it's likely we will be moving forward with JTK.

Have you heard from JTK yet? From what I've heard they have not been very responsive recently either.