Author Topic: Missing my old posts  (Read 13803 times)

Offline junkfist

Missing my old posts
« on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 13:28:45 »
I have not been on this site in a VERY long time but I am seeing that some of my old posts are missing. What comes to mind is a series of Unicomp Model M reviews I wrote many many years ago.  I guess I'm not too upset that I can't find some of these posts, but I used to chat a decent amount around here 10 years ago or so and didn't want to make a bunch of annoying BS posts to get to 25 so I could post a WTB in Classifieds. I'm curious if this is any possibility? Anyway, hello all and nice to be back in this hobby after a very long time of just using the cheapest mechanicals on Amazon.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Missing my old posts
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 12:12:52 »
in 2011 the site was hacked and a lot of data was deleted. in 2018(?) there was a hardware failure and a small amount of data was lost. also things have been moved around and archived over the years.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Missing my old posts
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 10:01:56 »
in 2011 the site was hacked and a lot of data was deleted. in 2018(?) there was a hardware failure and a small amount of data was lost. also things have been moved around and archived over the years.

Most likely this is what you're seeing. R00tw0rm destroyed a large number of posts back then. The hardware failure and rollback did remove a few posts, but nothing from prior to the rollback (though it did recalculate post counts, which was almost more noticeable). And things have been moved/archived, but I wouldn't expect reviews to have been affected by that. I'd say the main culprit here is R00tw0rm, especially considering the timing of your early posts. Sadly, the lost posts cannot be recovered and are gone forever. :-/

@junkfist, to answer your question about making BS posts, yes, we can fix the post count situation for you. I see no sense punishing a veteran member such as yourself and forcing you to make nonsense posts just to use Classifieds. You can go ahead and create a WTB post now. :thumb: