Author Topic: [IC] GMK Sparta - Launched on Drop.com  (Read 111483 times)

Offline crusader_alex

[IC] GMK Sparta - Launched on Drop.com
« on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:02:18 »

We now have a discord server as well!!! Join in for constant updates on the status of the set and more projects and an overall good time!

As you all may know GMK Sparta run a few months and was cancelled due to a slow start.I am more than happy to announce that the set will indeed be returning and in GMK!!! There are a lot of things to be done,and that may take some time but please bear with me on this.A huge thank you to the people who helped me over the past few months and the people that encouraged me to run this again,y'all know who you are.

With that out of the way I present to you GMK Sparta

Colors

The Spartans were some of the fiercest warriors of the ancient world,
the sound of their name alone caused fear in the hearts of their enemies.
However they were not only known for their prowess in the battlefield
but for their way of life as well.They led simple lives devoted to harsh training
in order to become soldiers of one of the greatest armies ever to walk the earth.

This set aims to capture the spirit of Sparta through the elegant yet striking colors
while staying historically true to their color palette.

The novelties include the tools that every Spartans life consists of.With an array
of great designs made by the amazing u/OneCreativeMind it's sure to cover all your
needs when out on the battlefield.

Now grab your shields,extend your spears and always remember

ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς ... (come back with your shield or on it)

The Kits:

Base kit

Mono Greek Kit

Dual Greek Kit

Novelties

Spacebars

Deskmats

Important Note: The designs are slightly outdated, new renders coming soon

More Renders

Vendors

Drop

Please consider supporting the project by adding the banner to your singature

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101678.0][img width=239 height=120]https://i.postimg.cc/XYsKsMyw/banner-3.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 May 2021, 13:39:14 by crusader_alex »

Offline EnjoyMyInSec

• 60% or bust
Re: [IC] GMK Sparta
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:07:12 »
Awsome set, really unique and the scheme is well thought good luck man !  :thumb:

Offline voxkey

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:10:23 »
Looks great!

Might want to change around the text colors used in the post though. It's unreadable on the Geekhack light theme.  :thumb:

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:11:02 »
I really dig this!

The colorways are nice and different from the more on-trend blues and greys we've been seeing lately. I also adore the greek sublegends. Fantastic job, can't wait to see how this evolves.

With a pinch of luck this would look amazing paired with a bronze Dixiemech Bauer (or a port Rama U80!).

P.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:12:50 by mrpetrov »

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:12:43 »
Nice theme, the novelties really fit it!  :thumb:

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:18:26 »
May I suggest not using doubled Latin-legends on the Greek sublegend kit?

I think that, while duplicate legends bring uniformity to the alphas, they're a bit superfluous.

Also, can I suggest R5 bottom row? :D

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:22:03 »
Oof..

Can there be a Greek only alpha, I’m so going to join this gb!

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:26:11 »

Show Image

I think that, while duplicate legends bring uniformity to the alphas, they're a bit superfluous.

Thanks for your feedback! I will definitely take your suggestion under consideration.As far as R5 goes I don't think I'll do it just because i personally don't like the look and feel.

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:33:56 »
Ok. I'll buy.
Just start GB quickly  :p :p

Offline ocm

• Formerly OneCreativeMind
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:42:26 »
This was super fun to work on, such a cool idea! Excited to see this go to IC :)

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:49:03 »
Needs more garnet.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:54:10 »
Consider changing the font color in the ic, can't read it using gh light theme. :)

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:58:20 »
Really like it  :thumb:

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 10:04:05 »
I think the alphas look beautiful, and I really love the gold on white scheme. I just wish there was a full set of gold on white modifiers so I could have a full build with them!

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 10:25:44 »
Instant buy!
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline BasicallyGod

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 10:27:33 »
Consider changing the font color in the ic, can't read it using gh light theme. :)

There are dozens of us, dozens!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 10:31:21 »
There's not much point in having 1800 compat (R1 End, PgDn) separate from the numpad. Either move it to the numpad kit, or merge the numpad into base.

Your TKL mod legends are a bit inconsistent (PrtSc yet Pause/Break, Scroll Lock etc.). I suggest going with Print, Scroll, Pause, Caps, Num for a uniform one-line look across the board. These legends also fit the set's name better imo: Spartan — something that is simple, austere and very straight to the point.

Further, R4 1.25u Menu is not a very useful key; consider replacing it with Fn. Fn can be used as a menu/app key just fine, whereas the opposite isn't really true. Personally, I'd also remove the stepped R3 Control as I think having the non-stepped version is enough.

Finally, consider adding extended 65% compat (R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn) to the base kit for all of us 65%/75% users who like different right columns or use split Backspace.

All of the compat/legend critique aside, I do quite like the colorway :)

Послато са SM-J510FN помоћу Тапатока
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 July 2019, 21:58:25 by constexpr »

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 10:41:07 »
Interested, that mixed greek kit look is one of my favorites!

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 July 2019, 11:27:10 by sncbraxsc2 »

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 12:39:05 »
Great colors.

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 12:51:52 »
Definitely in for Novelties

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 13:14:01 »
+1 for not having duplicate legends on the greek kit looks really weird imo

Awesome set though will definitely be watching :)
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline infinitykw

• Amazed by the beauty of industrial design
    • zFrontier Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 13:22:56 »
In for base and Greek kit.  I’m buying three sets.  Also this is my favorite base kit layout (yessssssss accent spacebars)

Can’t wait for the gb, please get started ASAP.

Huge support here.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 14:05:36 »
 all in on this one! love it!

Offline Atlantic

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 14:16:32 »

Show Image

+1 on the legends, look less messy and more classic imo

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 14:28:17 »
I would prefer for the Numpad kit to be merged into the base kit. Love the Greek sub-legends, novelties, and color way. Very interested.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 17:05:05 »
If you do decide to get rid of duplicate legends, I'd suggest you merge the Greek kits in that case: it'll help reach MOQ.

Speaking of the Greek legends, once this gets farther along, you should double-check with GMK to make sure they're done properly. There are issues with the shapes of Θ, Ψ, Ω, Σ and ς in Cherry's original molds. In fact, all of the original Greek legends could use a bit of tweaking (for example, the Δ and Λ are a tad wider than they should be).

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 July 2019, 21:58:08 by constexpr »

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 17:30:16 »
This is a beautiful set. I feel like the alphas letterings are a bit too bright. It almost looks like peaches and cream if I didnt know any better. I'd say use the dark red from the mods for the letterings on the alphas. See what that look like.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 17:42:23 »
I agree with Lightning's suggestion not to use double-Latin alpha legends, I think just having the greek sub legends is the less worse option. I would also include them in the base kit because I think it's such a huge selling and thematic feature of this excellent set.

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 17:45:25 »
God dammit another one I gotta get

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 17:54:45 »
This is a beautiful set. I feel like the alphas letterings are a bit too bright. It almost looks like peaches and cream if I didnt know any better. I'd say use the dark red from the mods for the letterings on the alphas. See what that look like.

I like this idea. Some renders with the mod color for lettering would be nice to see.

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 17:54:55 »
I agree with Lightning's suggestion not to use double-Latin alpha legends, I think just having the greek sub legends is the less worse option. I would also include them in the base kit because I think it's such a huge selling and thematic feature of this excellent set.

Yeah i agree with you,the original plan was actually to have the greek sublegends in the base so it's quite a big possibity that it will happen since a few people suggested it.Thanks for your feedback!

Offline arrowM

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 18:51:27 »
Yes! I've been wanting a Greek-alphabet keyset for ages. The last really good one I saw was GMK Greek Olivetti, but sadly it never saw the light of day. Let's make GMK Sparta happen!

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 18:58:26 »
Another must-buy this year.
Hope it coming soon.
Will there be spacebar kit?

Offline utsukishi

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 19:13:20 »
monkey man thinks this should happen already, color me interested

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 19:48:48 »
I like it.  Any chance of an R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn?

Offline zeldridge

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 20:10:12 »
Would there be a chance of getting this rendered on a Rama U80-A port???

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 20:45:40 »

This basically.

Also I'm not interested in the colourway personally but what I am VERY interested in is the Greek.

Offline surfortuna

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 14:56:32 »
This is nice! Well done!

Offline mountainblocks

• mountainblocks.com
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 23 July 2019, 15:45:05 »
I love this colorway and the Greek sub legends clinch it for me. All in.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 04:18:26 »
GMK USC?

Offline josephchoi

• JCKeyboards
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 04:48:14 »
Love it :p :p :p :p :p

Offline nightinx

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 05:25:56 »
i need this set all in!!!!

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 16:31:36 »
QUESTION: did GMK actually make the correct mold for the W/ς key? AFAIR (though I could be wrong), back when the Greek Olivetti set was in the design stage, they did NOT have it (and had the very, very incorrect W/Ç keycap mold instead). If this IC goes to GB, this NEEDS to be tended to, so as not to hit buyers (either Greeks, or with OCD, or Greeks with OCD) with an unpleasant surprise.

Besides this, please review the ISO support in the base kit. As it stands now, the mods (left Shift and ISO Enter) are fine, but the alphas are in that weird space in between US ISO and UK ISO, without actually fulfilling either set. There are two solutions to this: go ahead with full UK ISO support (adding the missing `¬ 2" 3£ keys in R1) or scale back to US ISO support (replacing the two R3 '@ #~ keys with a single R3 \| key). I'd go with the latter, but WDIKAA.

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 16:34:06 »
On strictly subjective notes:

1) If it were for me, I'd go either with Greek only or full dual English/Greek legends on the alphas. Looks weird (TO ME) otherwise.

2) I think I'd like this set much better if the alphas used the reddish brown instead of the ochre. Ochre on brown for the mods (and brown on ochred for the accents) looks great, though.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 17:48:56 »
QUESTION: did GMK actually make the correct mold for the W/ς key? AFAIR (though I could be wrong), back when the Greek Olivetti set was in the design stage, they did NOT have it (and had the very, very incorrect W/Ç keycap mold instead). If this IC goes to GB, this NEEDS to be tended to, so as not to hit buyers (either Greeks, or with OCD, or Greeks with OCD) with an unpleasant surprise.

Yeah, and those aren't the only legends that are problematic. As I mentioned earlier:
Speaking of the Greek legends, once this gets farther along, you should double-check with GMK to make sure they're done properly. There are issues with the shapes of Θ, Ψ, Ω, Σ and ς in Cherry's original molds. In fact, all of the original Greek legends could use a bit of tweaking (for example, the Δ and Λ are a tad wider than they should be).

Besides this, please review the ISO support in the base kit. As it stands now, the mods (left Shift and ISO Enter) are fine, but the alphas are in that weird space in between US ISO and UK ISO, without actually fulfilling either set. There are two solutions to this: go ahead with full UK ISO support (adding the missing `¬ 2" 3£ keys in R1) or scale back to US ISO support (replacing the two R3 '@ #~ keys with a single R3 \| key). I'd go with the latter, but WDIKAA.

Agreed, imo they should be replaced with a single R3 \|. Also, the most correct R4 key for “ISO-US” would actually be <>| (the | being a sublegend).

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 18:03:49 »

Also, the most correct R4 key for “ISO-US” would actually be <>| (the | being a sublegend).

I disagree here. While the old terminal keyboards indeed had < > in the R4 key between (short) left Shift and Z, the "US ISO" standard calls for either that key or the R3 on the side of ISO Enter to have the \ and | symbols. On "proper" ISO keyboards, you can have the R3 key to be \| and the R4 key to be <> without fuss, but on ISANSI hybrid keyboards, this presents a problem; that is why there needs to be an R4 \| key (now, if the <> key can be tacked on, as well, better, but \| the key needs to be present).

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 19:04:58 »
I disagree here. While the old terminal keyboards indeed had < > in the R4 key between (short) left Shift and Z, the "US ISO" standard calls for either that key or the R3 on the side of ISO Enter to have the \ and | symbols. On "proper" ISO keyboards, you can have the R3 key to be \| and the R4 key to be <> without fuss, but on ISANSI hybrid keyboards, this presents a problem; that is why there needs to be an R4 \| key (now, if the <> key can be tacked on, as well, better, but \| the key needs to be present).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no ISO-US standard (which is why I put it in quotes). The closest thing we have is what's used in practice on systems that have layouts like this (e.g. Ubuntu):

223017-0

Also, I don't get this part: “on ISANSI hybrid keyboards, this presents a problem; that is why there needs to be an R4 \| key”. Why does it present a problem? I think you can have \| on R3 and <>| on R4, no problem at all. I don't think ISO–ANSI hybrid keyboards that have split LShift but no ISO Enter are all that common.

I'd say that the R3 key should be \| since it's just moving there from it's usual R2 1.5u spot because of the different Enter shape. And I don't think many people would disagree with me. As for the R4 key, if you don't want duplicate keys (and if you want to be “proper” per the image above), put <>| there; otherwise, \| is fine too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2019, 19:08:42 by constexpr »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 19:11:32 »

Show Image

I'd buy a set if you made these changes. I love the colour scheme and concept, but the duplicate legends and lack of R5 are dealbreakers for me.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 20:30:35 »

Also, I don't get this part: “on ISANSI hybrid keyboards, this presents a problem; that is why there needs to be an R4 \| key”. Why does it present a problem? I think you can have \| on R3 and <>| on R4, no problem at all. I don't think ISO–ANSI hybrid keyboards that have split LShift but no ISO Enter are all that common.

Sorry, I forgot this is a different thread from the "On ISO" shirtshow. I'll explain here:

- ANSI keyboards: 2.25U left Shift & 2.25U horizontal Enter.
- ISO keyboards: 1.25U left Shift (+ 1U alpha) & 1.25/1.5U vertical Enter.

Since these two variants are independent of each other, you can easily have two hybrid variants:

- ANSISO: 2.25U left Shift & 1.25/1.5U vertical Enter (common in Ortek keyboards and some Chinese clones).
- ISANSI: 1.25U left Shift (+ 1U alpha) & 2.25U horizontal Enter (common in cheap-ass keyboards and some Chinese clones).

For an ANSISO hybrid keyboard with the US English layout ("US ISO-ish"), you simply replace the R2 \| 1.5U key with the R3 \| 1.0 key.

For an ISANSI hybrid keyboard with the US English layout ("US ANSI-ish"), you can actually use BOTH R2 \| 1.5U and R4 1.0U keys (or the R2 \| 1.5U key and the R4 <>| key)... on a "normal" form factor. HOWEVER... on some compact keyboards (sub-TKL), the Backspace is split into two and the R2 1.5 key made into an HHKB-style Backspace key (meaning that the R4 \| key is the only one of the two \| keys that can be used).

I'd say that the R3 key should be \| since it's just moving there from it's usual R2 1.5u spot because of the different Enter shape. And I don't think many people would disagree with me. As for the R4 key, if you don't want duplicate keys (and if you want to be “proper” per the image above), put <>| there; otherwise, \| is fine too.

In a nutshell, what we are proposing for ISO support on the base kit is simply to add four keys there: (mod-colored) ISO Enter key, 1.25U left Shift key, and both R3 and R4 \| keys, so maximum compatibility for US ISO can be achieved (UK support, which requires five further keys, should be not part of the base kit, but part of an international kit, like NORDEUK). An R4 <> (not <>| ) key could be added as well, if the designer should want it so.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 20:58:50 »
Cool, I learned some new vocabulary today (ANSISO/ISANSI), thanks. To address a couple of your points:

- ISANSI: 1.25U left Shift (+ 1U alpha) & 2.25U horizontal Enter (common in cheap-ass keyboards and some Chinese clones).
So pretty much what I said: almost no boards that could benefit from custom keycaps use that layout.

HOWEVER... on some compact keyboards (sub-TKL), the Backspace is split into two and the R2 1.5 key made into an HHKB-style Backspace key (meaning that the R4 \| key is the only one of the two \| keys that can be used).
And in that case, the \| key would most commonly be found on R1, above the 1.5u Backspace. The R1 \| is included in virtually all sets.

In a nutshell, what we are proposing for ISO support on the base kit is simply to add four keys there: (mod-colored) ISO Enter key, 1.25U left Shift key, and both R3 and R4 \| keys, so maximum compatibility for US ISO can be achieved (UK support, which requires five further keys, should be not part of the base kit, but part of an international kit, like NORDEUK). An R4 <>| key could be added as well, if the designer should want it so.
And that's what I'm proposing as well, absolutely — except, I'm saying that the ISANSI edge case is so obscure that it's not worth considering, and it's pretty much up to the designer whether they want to have a R4 \| or R4 <>| key. In terms of technical correctness, <>| is more appropriate, but, again, it should be down to preference. For example, this set and Oblivion went with \|, Firefly chose to go with <>|.

Anyway, I feel like we're hijacking the thread somewhat with this discussion, so we should probably stop here and go back to talking about the rest of the set :D