Author Topic: Kensington SlimBlade?  (Read 11128 times)

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
Kensington SlimBlade?
« on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 22:23:12 »
I might be able to get a Kensington SlimBlade trackball, for $35 AUD
I was wondering if they are worth it, I'd only be buying it to try out a trackball for a decent amount of time.
Does anyone here have any experience with this particular model?

Offline Henry Allen Venture

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 January 2012, 23:21:15 »
Ooh. Whereabouts can you get that price? Or is it secondhand?
I'm looking at getting one (also Australian), and $35 is much, much less than I've seen them advertised for (link related, although this has shipping included).
Current collection:
Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
IBM Model M 52G9700
Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

fossala

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 01:30:23 »
I paid 40gbp for mine and it is worth every penny.

Offline PixelVandalism

• YouTube
Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 03:31:21 »
Quote from: Henry Allen Venture;502918
Ooh. Whereabouts can you get that price? Or is it secondhand?
I'm looking at getting one (also Australian), and $35 is much, much less than I've seen them advertised for (link related, although this has shipping included).

It's second hand, and I'm hoping, because of how the person advertised it, that no one is going to push the price up.

Quote from: fossala;502985
I paid 40gbp for mine and it is worth every penny.

I'm not sure if i'll just end up selling it to someone it a month or two.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 January 2012, 03:33:29 by PixelVandalism »

Offline lootbag

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 14:16:48 »
I say go for it.
Nice trackball to get your feet wet.
I know I enjoy using mine very much!

Offline o2dazone

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 January 2012, 15:52:00 »
anyone who prefers the SlimBlade over the CST Trackball? I have the CST, and it's nice...but it's my first finger operated trackball. After using an MTO for 8 years, I'm considering trying more in terms of index finger operated trackball

Offline lootbag

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 09:15:23 »
I had the CST L-Trac-X and sold it.
Bought the Slimblade recently for less than 1/3 the price of the CST and enjoy using it a lot more.
Scrolling and build quality seems better in my opinion, along with the 4 buttons that are fully programmable.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 10:05:48 »
I like the slimblade more than the CST only because I hate where the middle mouse button and the scroll wheel are on the CST which you can't reach unless you shift your hand up. Other than that the CST is better I find. I kept my slimblade and sold my CST though because of that one annoyance. The slimblade is very nice though.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline RTbar

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 12:45:58 »
I would suggest a thin, firm wrist rest when using the Slimblade due the the angle it sits at the desk.... It will help you keep your wrist straighter

Offline heuristicist

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 04:05:41 »
I am using the Slimblade. It was my first trackball, and I've been using it for a couple of months now. I still don't *feel* like I'm as fast now as I am on a mouse---but I haven't tested this objectively. OTOH I have a nice setup where holding down one of the buttons turns the entire trackball into a 2D scroll wheel, allowing for easy horizontal scrolling. I can definitely see wanting a wrist rest, though for now I'm just putting the trackball near the edge of my desk and resting my arm on my armrest. Ultimately what I'd like is to incline the trackball, kind of like a Freestyle Ascent, but I haven't come up with a good and easy way of setting this up :\

Offline Surly73

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 09:46:32 »
I wrote a reply to this but it's gone.

When I was looking for a second trackball for home to compliment my ExpertMouse at work I looked at the SlimBlade.  I ruled it out due to something critical (to me anyways) and went with another ExpertMouse.  It might have been the lack of scroll ring found on the ExpertMouse, which is a great design but it could be implemented in a more refined way.

I honestly can't remember if there was anything more than that but for me it was a deal killer and I went with a second ExpertMouse.

Offline heuristicist

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 14:05:01 »
Quote from: Surly73;507266
I wrote a reply to this but it's gone.

When I was looking for a second trackball for home to compliment my ExpertMouse at work I looked at the SlimBlade.  I ruled it out due to something critical (to me anyways) and went with another ExpertMouse.  It might have been the lack of scroll ring found on the ExpertMouse, which is a great design but it could be implemented in a more refined way.

I honestly can't remember if there was anything more than that but for me it was a deal killer and I went with a second ExpertMouse.

The Slimblade has a built-in scroll ring---you just rotate the trackball on the vertical axis and it registers as scrolls (whereas the horizontal axes are used to to move the cursor). I usually use that for vertical scroll, and use my button that converts the entire trackball into a scroll wheel for horizontal scroll or if I want it to scroll through a large document.

Offline Jim66

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 February 2012, 16:06:17 »
I owned and used one for approximately 6 weeks. I liked the build quality of the product but I just get on with it. I just don't think that a trackball is as efficient and as accurate as a mouse.

Offline Surly73

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 February 2012, 09:25:10 »
Quote from: heuristicist;507420
The Slimblade has a built-in scroll ring---you just rotate the trackball on the vertical axis and it registers as scrolls (whereas the horizontal axes are used to to move the cursor). I usually use that for vertical scroll, and use my button that converts the entire trackball into a scroll wheel for horizontal scroll or if I want it to scroll through a large document.

Good to know...

Offline Surnia

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 February 2012, 01:01:59 »
I have the Orbit, and its not bad. I'm wondering about the mouse switch durability though, and its a bit stiff for my liking. My other gripe is the bearings, they collect a LOT of stuff very quickly...

Otherwise the ball works great, and I'm constantly tempted to pick up the slimblade. I would jump on the $35 AUD price tag!

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline o2dazone

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 10:29:45 »
I received one of these today. Immediate impressions compared to my CST Lasertrack (3 button with scroll cylinder)

-The scrolling feels smoother out of the box. This might change as the bearings wear on the Slimblade, but so far, it's like butter.
-The ball is smaller, so it feels more 'flicky', and less accurate. This could be because I haven't specifically dialed in my sensitivity
-Two of the four buttons on the Slimblade are VERY uncomfortable to use. Where your fingertips 'rest', two are going to be rather inaccessible. I'm perfecting my CLAW to make sure I can efficiently hit all four buttons
-The 'scroll with the ball' feature is neat, especially when it ticks. But I'm not completely sold yet. The CST also makes you move your hand to scroll. The Slimblade does the same thing

Now compared to my Microsoft Trackball Optical

-the MTO has 5 easy to hit buttons
-After 8 years, the MTO is showing it's age, specifically with the scrolling smoothness and DPI
-the ergonomics of it are still great, but this could just be my arm getting used to the new peripherals
-I'm still much more accurate with a thumb-operated trackball over an index finger one
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2012, 11:10:52 by o2dazone »

Offline o2dazone

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 11:10:13 »
It makes jerking off THAT much better

Offline RTbar

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 13:10:06 »
Quote from: o2dazone;521881
I received one of these today. Immediate impressions compared to my CST Lasertrack (3 button with scroll cylinder)

-The scrolling feels smoother out of the box. This might change as the bearings wear on the Slimblade, but so far, it's like butter.
-The ball is smaller, so it feels more 'flicky', and less accurate. This could be because I haven't specifically dialed in my sensitivity
-Two of the four buttons on the Slimblade are VERY uncomfortable to use. Where your fingertips 'rest', two are going to be rather inaccessible. I'm perfecting my CLAW to make sure I can efficiently hit all four buttons
-The 'scroll with the ball' feature is neat, especially when it ticks. But I'm not completely sold yet. The CST also makes you move your hand to scroll. The Slimblade does the same thing

Now compared to my Microsoft Trackball Optical

-the MTO has 5 easy to hit buttons
-After 8 years, the MTO is showing it's age, specifically with the scrolling smoothness and DPI
-the ergonomics of it are still great, but this could just be my arm getting used to the new peripherals
-I'm still much more accurate with a thumb-operated trackball over an index finger one

Which do you prefer?

Offline o2dazone

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 13:15:46 »
I've only used the Slimblade for less than a day. I can probably answer that after a few weeks of use though :)

Offline o2dazone

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 08 March 2012, 10:53:40 »
So I've had mine for a few weeks. Here's my thoughts on it vs the CST Lasertrak (1600dpi, scroll wheel, no additional ports for extra buttons). Now, I got the Slimblade, because I need more mouse buttons. I also game and Photoshop on my Slimblade. My CST I just use for day to day computer use, with a little bit of Photoshop here and there.

2545 vs Slimblade

I never though I'd say this, but I prefer the scroll cylinder on the CST. The biggest factor behind this is, unless you're a robot it is almost impossible to scroll with the slimblade without accidentally moving the cursor. I really like the scrolling mechanism on the Slimblade, but the fact that I subtly move the cursor when I scroll is what bothers me the most.

The additional buttons on the Slimblade are nice, but I'm still getting used to them. It definitely didn't feel as natural as the CST. But then again the Slimblade has 4 buttons. Now let me just say that there is no comfortable place to put your hand that makes all four mouse buttons on the Slimblade easily accessible. I mapped my Mouse 1 to the bottom left button, and Mouse 2 to the top right. Mouse 4 is top left and Mouse 5 is top right. I've been using the Slimblade exclusively to play World of Warcraft, and having mouse 4/5 bound makes it somewhat of a pain to use. I've since gotten used to using my Slimblade slightly differently than my CST. My fingers rest further down the mouse, and my ring fingertip sits right at the bottom right corner of the top right button. This allows me quickly to go from the top right button to the bottom right button with little movement. Hitting the top left button, and the "Mouse 3" which is combination of Top left and Top right still requires me to move my hand. This is a huge dislike. It feels like I really only have 2-3 mouse buttons, and doesn't feel nearly as natural as a normal 5 button mouse.

The CST's ergonomics aren't horrible, but I would suggest a wrist rest if you easily get pain in your wrist. Using it for hours at a time, I don't notice any stiffness, but then again, I've never had joint problems. I could see this being a big problem with people with sensitive wrists. You aren't putting any pressure on your wrist itself, but it is angled where it makes naturally mousing around, crook your wrist at a strange angle.

Build quality seems to be the same for me. Obviously the wear and tear will show with more use, but so far so good. The Slimblade has ruby balls, which I'm hoping won't wear flat like my MTO. The CST require a little lubing with teflon silicone before it became smooth. The scroll wheel on the CST also required a little pushing and moving to get it to feel smoother. Taking the CST apart is much easier, and makes more sense than the Slimblade. The CST also has a standard ball size, so you can interchangeably swap them out with pool balls. Neato!

Overall, I don't really mind either one. I still prefer my thumb operated trackball, but that's because I've used it for almost a decade. I wish CST sold individual switches that I could add to the modular 2545, instead of having to build my own out of legos and cherry mx switches (ripster). Other than the odd button placement, the somewhat stiffer mouse buttons, and the scrolling mechanism moving the cursor around slightly, I think the Slimblade is a great candidate, and definitely worth the money if you're getting one for $70-$80.

Offline All The Fire

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 09 March 2012, 01:41:06 »
I'm thinking of getting one of these over the L-TracX (cost) as I'd be new to trackballs. I'm a little concerned with the DPI on this thing, I'm hearing it could be as low as 400? Now I could see that goign to a lower DPI may not be as much of a concern for me with a trackball compared to a mouse but I'm currently using a horizontal DPI of 1800 for 27mm travel across a 1920 resolution, I'm even normally at a horizontal DPI of 2100 but I had to lower it when I got the G300. It's a big difference, my question being; are low DPI's quicker to get around with on a trackball over a mouse?

My other concern being that I actually use a different vertical DPI, set to a ratio of 3:4 horizontal to vertical, and I'm concerned I'll have trouble adapting to a 1:1 ratio, I had trouble in the past going back to 1:1. I'm wondering if the completely different control style in a trackball would help me overcome changing to a 1:1 ratio, but I guess only I could answer that by trying it out.

Offline All The Fire

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 10 March 2012, 16:36:36 »
I can just use it upside down too and it should be fine.

Can I set this to a DPI of 3200? I haven't heard of this having changeable DPI's at all.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 12:05:04 »
Uploaded a video about slimblade hand positioning. I actually just use the bottom right as right click and the top right as middle click because if you're just web browsing you probably use middle click more than right click, assuming you like to open things in new tabs.

[video=youtube;BnC_QEpEirY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnC_QEpEirY[/video]
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

fossala

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 12:29:13 »
The problem I had with with the slimblade is that I accedently hit buttons.

Offline All The Fire

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 08:01:03 »
That's weird, I finally grabbed one today and I find the buttons a little stiff, so trying to hold the buttons while looking around in Mass Effect 3 was not working out well. So I changed aim and shoot to 'Z' (pinky) and 'space' (thumb) respectively and am finding this setup quite suitable. And I've settled on using it pretty much exactly as OneProduct does.

And can anyone confirm this is a 52mm ball? I took a rough measurement with a glass of water and a CD but I think some calipers would work better.

Offline Aranair

• Software Engineer @ PocketMath
    • Tech blog
Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 March 2012, 22:14:28 »
mm just a quick hijack :P anyone knows of an alternative to the slimblade with a decent scrollwheel and doesn't cost too much? (i am too used to that when coding in textmate unfortunately).

can't seem to find kensington locally either, so I bought a logitech trackman marble to try out but the lack of a scrolling way with the trackball is really pissing me off ;P

Present  : HHKB Pro 2 Type-S White | HHKB Pro 2 White Blank | Ergodox EZ
Past      :  Poker 2 Brown | Black Widow Ultimate Blue | Filco TKL Brown

fossala

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 02:09:02 »
Wait for a second hand cst?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 03:14:15 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 13:56:30 by davkol »

Offline Aranair

• Software Engineer @ PocketMath
    • Tech blog
Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 05:50:20 »
does that script work on os x?
I think in windows, it provides a way to scroll holding one button but on OS X it doesn't. I was just thinking its abit more difficult on os x mm.

Present  : HHKB Pro 2 Type-S White | HHKB Pro 2 White Blank | Ergodox EZ
Past      :  Poker 2 Brown | Black Widow Ultimate Blue | Filco TKL Brown

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 07:26:50 »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2018, 13:56:36 by davkol »

Offline All The Fire

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 17:50:51 »
Does anyone have some reliable measurements on the size of this trackball.

Using a CD, a glass of water and a ruler I measured it at 53mm, and then wrapping some dental floss around it I calc'ed it a fraction over 55mm. I'm more inclined to my dental floss measurement but there's a potential of stretching, and I'm lacking a pair of calipers.

Offline Dox

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 18:09:06 »
SlimBlade ball is 55mm (measured with a digital caliper).
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline All The Fire

Kensington SlimBlade?
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 18:22:58 »
Cool, thanks.

Also, if anyone in Australia's interested, techbuy have them at $91.75 available for pickup Sydney, Parramatta area or $10 shipping across Australia.

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/123606/POINTINGDEVICES_TRACKBALLS/Kensington/72327.asp
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 March 2012, 18:29:00 by All The Fire »