Author Topic: Beard/Mustache Trimmer Help  (Read 2272 times)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Beard/Mustache Trimmer Help
« on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 17:30:52 »
I need your guys' help with picking out a beard/mustache trimmer for my dad (father's day present).  I don't want to get him a cheap-o POS and I know a few of you guys rock manly-man beards so you should have some experience with trimmers.  Does anyone have any opinions?  Brands to stay away from? Brands to check out?

Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Beard/Mustache Trimmer Help
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:36:12 »
I'm sure if you go to a salon supplier they can recommend you some great options. I have an Oster Obaby that I use on my beard, it came with 6 head sizes and works great for my needs but it was one of the cheaper models they had (around $40.) I remember going into a salon supplier once just for a pair of scissors and being floored that some scissors sell for $1000+, just regular old hair cutting scissors. Crazy.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:38:37 »
Grow it out, screw trimming it! :P
More
Two months of work, hence why I don't need a trimmer...

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 June 2013, 00:28:46 by SmallFry »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 21:08:22 »
An adjustable Wahl with oil and a cleaning brush.  Not rechargeable; cord or batteries are better.  Metal is always better than plastic.  Heavier is better.  A mustache comb and a beard brush would complete the kit, and are often included.

Oster and Sunbeam, not so much.

Also, just because the world is weird now, make sure you get a BEARD trimmer, not a BODY HAIR trimmer.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 21:10:05 »
http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-79300-400-Color-Complete-Haircutting/dp/B000JNQSIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370830155&sr=8-1&keywords=wahl

i just bought a wahl clipper the other day (not that one) and it's great. nice and cheap.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 23:55:20 »
http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-79300-400-Color-Complete-Haircutting/dp/B000JNQSIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370830155&sr=8-1&keywords=wahl

i just bought a wahl clipper the other day (not that one) and it's great. nice and cheap.

I have one of the old metal Wahl clippers and it is awesome.  I was checking out the color coded one at Fry's and it looks like it uses the same clipper head.  Nice option for the price, I just didn't care for the cheap case it came with.  For the price though, you could get a nice little bag, a brush, and some small scissors for a complete kit.  Oh, and some extra clipper oil. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 00:43:01 »
Show Image

chinpubes

and yeah, go balls to the wahl
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline iri

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 04:42:52 »
nice beard, smallfry! it seems i have more hair on my index finger than you on your chin!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 04:47:04 »
I need your guys' help with picking out a beard/mustache trimmer for my dad (father's day present).

Found it. Only real men use this.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 05:51:35 »
I need your guys' help with picking out a beard/mustache trimmer for my dad (father's day present).

Found it. Only real men use this.

Nope, real men use a string trimmer.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 14:48:36 »
real mean just rip the hairs off by hand, pussies.

I have one of the old metal Wahl clippers and it is awesome.  I was checking out the color coded one at Fry's and it looks like it uses the same clipper head.  Nice option for the price, I just didn't care for the cheap case it came with.  For the price though, you could get a nice little bag, a brush, and some small scissors for a complete kit.  Oh, and some extra clipper oil. 

yeah i own the red one that's all metal. has a nice weight to it. and it was only 30 bucks at target.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 16:01:49 »
I'm not sure about trimmers, but I have an Oster Fast Feed clipper. That thing is solid.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 01:40:40 »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 11:29:25 »
Thanks guys.  I ended up getting him a top of the line Remington trimmer....metal casing, etc.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 11:33:54 »
Show Image

If we had a 'like' button i would 'like' this post!!

Thanks guys.  I ended up getting him a top of the line Remington trimmer....metal casing, etc.

Glad you found what you were looking for! Hope he likes it!!