Author Topic: Chicony KB-5191, Mitsumi Minis, unused? $45.95 shipped  (Read 6408 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Chicony KB-5191, Mitsumi Minis, unused? $45.95 shipped
« on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 05:39:06 »
Vintage CHICONY KB-5191 Mechanical Clicky Keyboard Wired 5 Pin W/ Keyboard Adapt

It'd help if they'd take the dang cover off, but I've scrutinized the shots and see no signs of use. And when they're in good shape, Mitsumi Minis are yummy, as well as rare. (I know Chyros panned them in one of his reviews, but I suspect those were worn... I have some in a like-new Monterey board that are just great!)
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 February 2018, 22:15:39 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
Re: Chicony KB-5191, Mitsumi Minis, unused? $5.95 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 14:54:17 »
Missing a 4 in that title.  ;)

Units are $45.95 shipped.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 15:39:39 »
Interesting but as Chyros said in his review these are absolute dog**** and the keyboard isn't even good.

https://deskthority.net/review-f45/chicony-kb-5191-review-mitsumi-miniature-mechanical-yellow-t12258.html

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 18:00:54 »
Interesting but as Chyros said in his review these are absolute dog**** and the keyboard isn't even good.

https://deskthority.net/review-f45/chicony-kb-5191-review-mitsumi-miniature-mechanical-yellow-t12258.html
Jesus Chroist. Please stay away from these, people. You cannot comprehend the abysmal horror!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 22:25:39 »
Missing a 4 in that title.  ;) ... Units are $45.95 shipped.

Whoops, rye chew R—thanks! (Coffee deficit, I'm guessing.)

Jesus Chroist. Please stay away from these, people. You cannot comprehend the abysmal horror!

Yes, and didn't I mention that in my OP? Why yes, I did. The fact remains, though, that I find the very lightly-used Monterey K101 (which I spotted at the PC recycling centre where I volunteer) with MM's simply delightful—light, springy, fun-sounding. I could type on it all day!

Re the board he reviewed, Chyros said:

Quote from: Chyros
It's in pretty good condition, too—it's seen some use, but not too much.

Some people are very tidy—they wash their hands before typing, don't have lunch over it, etc.—and can use a board for years without making it grimy. (I know—I'm one of 'em!) So if Chyros's board did receive significant use, clearly, with these switches, much depends on a particular board's condition.

Just out of curiosity, Chyros, did you try lubing your switches at all? Or were you just complaining that they were hard to use in the state you found them in? (I didn't have to lube mine—but as we all know, this can make a big difference with used switches of any kind.) It seems uncharacteristic of our MK community to dismiss an entire switch type out-of-hand without making some attempts to understand it better—and in some cases, take a few measures to restore used ones.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Chicony KB-5191, Mitsumi Minis, unused? $45.95 shipped
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 22:28:44 »
Unless they're Futabas or Fujitsu Peerless, of course (LOL).

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 09:35:16 »

Don't you dare talk down mitsumi miniatures I'm gonna take you down.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 20:18:22 »

Don't you dare talk down mitsumi miniatures I'm gonna take you down.

LOL

Anyway, I know opinions are mixed... I just thought that at this price ($46 shipped—and with a free AT->PS/2 adapter, woo!), and in this condition, someone might want to take a chance on it. I'm glad I did on mine, and it had more use on it than this one.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 February 2018, 20:20:10 by ander »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 20:31:56 »

Ha ha... Never let it be said that our Dutch pal doesn't have a flair for the dramatic.

I'm just curious—in your review, you say:

Quote from: Chyros
Maybe there's a way to somehow lube these switches so they don't jam as much—but considering it's not easy to open these, that would be quite a fuss.

Is it really necessary to open the switches? Wouldn't it help to put a bit of lube on the exposed parts of the sliders that go down into the housing when you press them?

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 22:50:30 »
I really don't think it needs lube.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 23:25:09 »
I really don't think it needs lube.

One in this shape wouldn't. I mean in general, for the complainers.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 02:43:02 »
LOL, this is still listed. Okay, I must be in the minority, Mitsumi-Mini-enthusiasm-wise.

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 18:20:29 »

Probably not the first time you've heard this, but every time I read one of your posts, I do so with your voice in my head.  Titty sprinkles.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 21:22:35 »

Probably not the first time you've heard this, but every time I read one of your posts, I do so with your voice in my head.  Titty sprinkles.

Me too. Well, without the titty thing.