Author Topic: [video] Typing in Dvorak  (Read 3718 times)

Offline pyro

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 10:48:27 »
[video=youtube;bw9Cugv6KVg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9Cugv6KVg&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Uploaded this to demonstrate how your fingers move when you type in dvorak.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 11:11:07 »
What program/website is that? That typing test layout looks good compared to the ones I am use to.

Also seems like you are using different key profiles on the blank number row for identification?
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline pyro

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 12:23:11 »
I flipped some of the number row keycaps 180 degrees, so they were nearer. The typing thing is essentially just a website, but causes some strange bugs now and then, which is why I haven't published it yet.

Offline sordna

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 13:29:38 »
What the WPM you got in that passage?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline pyro

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 13:33:57 »
about 75 average

edit:
wpm = words per minute
1 word = 5 characters
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 January 2012, 13:59:25 by pyro »

Offline Playtrumpet

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 15:54:42 »
So you created the program you're using? I really like the look and simplicity of it. And of course, it's always nice to see fellow Dvorak users doing what they do. ^_^

Something I notice when I'm typing and what was reflected in your video is that the left hand really doesn't move much at all. Sigh.. I love typing.
Dvorak

Offline prpnightmare

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 January 2012, 23:29:12 »
It'd be interesting to see (side by side) this video with one of QWERTY and Colemak users typing the same passage.

Offline Bravoecho

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 January 2012, 19:26:21 »
The typing software looks like Klavaro which I have on my Linux box.  I think it's available for Mac and Windows too.  It's very simple, and pooped itself when I tried to import custom texts.

Offline pyro

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 March 2012, 11:00:39 »
here it is: http://type.trmnl.org/
still buggy, though

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 08:08:11 »
Amazing. The way that text is presented as you type is just fantastic with the highlighting in grey, underlined and highlighted current character and how mistakes are displayed. Easily my new favorite typing test.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline pyro

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 08:43:34 »
thank you :redface:

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 14:03:34 »
Awesome program, I don't know why it's so hard to find a good typing test but this one works great.

Offline sordna

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 14:40:13 »
How do you reset it? I pasted something that's too big, so I don't want to type it. However even though I re-visit the URL, it shows me the text and expects me to type the whole thing. I know I could delete the relevant cookies, but it would be an easy enhancement if you just displayed a link to go back to the starting page.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline pyro

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 09:41:23 »
escape key takes you back to the start page

Offline sordna

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 01:38:26 »
Perfect! Maybe you want to add it to the instructions though.  I like the * character thing by the way; useful to skip any weird symbol characters a text may have... also useful for cheating :-)

Offline boli

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 03:42:24 »
Very well made typing test indeed.

Are you using the caps lock key for backspace?
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline pyro

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 April 2012, 07:14:50 »
I use capslock as ctrl and ctrl+h for backspace (ctrl+w for ctrl+backspace, ctrl+space for enter).

Added esc to the instructions.

Offline Occi

• http://www.thevoid.no
[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 10:01:02 »
Great test thanks for making and sharing it!

Offline wiredPANDA

[video] Typing in Dvorak
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 10:34:41 »
Alright, I'm thoroughly wasted a majority of my morning using this app...and I couldn't be happier.

Nice job on this!
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)