Author Topic: The Wirecutter does Ergonomic Keyboards  (Read 10674 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
The Wirecutter does Ergonomic Keyboards
« on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 19:44:59 »
I was looking at The Wirecutter website today for laptop reviews, and stubbled upon their review of ergonomic keyboards.  I actually found the review quite thorough for consumer-grade ergonomic keyboards. 

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/comfortable-ergo-keyboard/

Spoiler alert:

More
Microsoft Sculpt is their pick.
Matias Ergo Pro is the upgrade pick.

« Last Edit: Sat, 19 November 2016, 20:26:57 by vivalarevolución »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: The Wirecutter does Ergonomic Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 19:58:35 »
Crazy people, a truly split board is clearly better than a fixed split when it comes to ergos!  It's a shame their quality control doesn't guarantee you get one though (carefully worded to respect the spoiler...)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 21:08:08 »
Crazy people, a truly split board is clearly better than a fixed split when it comes to ergos!  It's a shame their quality control doesn't guarantee you get one though (carefully worded to respect the spoiler...)

A key part of Wirecutter reviews is what you get for the money you pay.  Then tend to NOT recommend the very best quality (and often the most expensive) because most consumers simply are going to be turned off by the price.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 November 2016, 22:48:23 »
Meh, all I really want is a fixed tented/split mech board.  If MS ever starts making their ergo boards with MX compatible stems and keeps them in the singular tented/split cases, I'm in.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 02:53:35 »
I have not read the whole thing yet, but to me it looks like one of the most thorough comparisons I have seen of ergo keyboards.
They have not overlooked any contemporary ergo keyboard that I know of - those just did not make it into their top picks.
I have not use their top pick: MS Sculpt very much but personally I find it to be very comfortable.

One thing to note is that they have disqualified keyboards with a numpad on the right.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 07:06:23 »
I have not read the whole thing yet, but to me it looks like one of the most thorough comparisons I have seen of ergo keyboards.
They have not overlooked any contemporary ergo keyboard that I know of - those just did not make it into their top picks.
I have not use their top pick: MS Sculpt very much but personally I find it to be very comfortable.

One thing to note is that they have disqualified keyboards with a numpad on the right.

Yes, it is quite thorough.   The list is vey exhaustive.  The only one left off the list that comes to mind is the Maltron.  But if they did not recommend the Kinesis Adavantage, they surely would not have favor the Maltron.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 07:22:51 »
How come there's no ErgoDox on their list??
It's now easily available.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline graefeln

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 07:36:52 »

The ErgoDox EZ is a fully split mechanical keyboard with legs that allow you to adjust both the negative tilt and tenting angles of each half precisely. But it has a nonstandard key layout, and the bundle with printed keycaps, palm rest, and tilt/tent kit costs over $300.

I do like how the layout is listed as a minor flaw for the Microsoft, but sounds like a deal-breaker here. Fact is, if I am looking for something ergonomic, I am probably willing to adapt to a more comfortable layout if necessary. The price is a bit high, granted, but with the MX switches, tilt/tent kit and full split, it offers more options - which I would think was important as ergonomics aren't simply one size fits all.

At the very least, I would have liked to see the Matias as their pick with something like the Ergodox as the runner-up and the Microsoft mentioned later as an "excellent budget choice" or something along those lines.

I also don't agree with them saying the switches won't be much of an issue if you're already used to laptop keyboards - just because you are used to something doesn't mean that it isn't a huge ergonomical flaw... many people are used to staggered, non-split, non-tilted/tented boards, but they are looking for something different for a reason and it seems to me that switches - and the potential fatigue associated with bottoming out - would be an important aspect.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 November 2016, 07:47:56 by graefeln »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 16:11:59 »
Hahahahhaa

This Melanie Pinola has some scary looking hands..

She's got the basics covered ..

Tenting is THE MOST important factor when it comes to keyboard ergonomics.

But with all the prebuilt kits, they're all low angle tents..   

You need at least 30* degrees or higher..  55* is ideal on a mechanical switched board,  you can prolly get close to 65* on a flat split scissor keyboard..

70* is approximately the wrist's neutral resting angle, assuming elbows are flush at one's side. But you can't hit 70* because there is thickness to mechanical key switches.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 17:17:54 »

The ErgoDox EZ is a fully split mechanical keyboard with legs that allow you to adjust both the negative tilt and tenting angles of each half precisely. But it has a nonstandard key layout, and the bundle with printed keycaps, palm rest, and tilt/tent kit costs over $300.

I do like how the layout is listed as a minor flaw for the Microsoft, but sounds like a deal-breaker here. Fact is, if I am looking for something ergonomic, I am probably willing to adapt to a more comfortable layout if necessary. The price is a bit high, granted, but with the MX switches, tilt/tent kit and full split, it offers more options - which I would think was important as ergonomics aren't simply one size fits all.

At the very least, I would have liked to see the Matias as their pick with something like the Ergodox as the runner-up and the Microsoft mentioned later as an "excellent budget choice" or something along those lines.

I also don't agree with them saying the switches won't be much of an issue if you're already used to laptop keyboards - just because you are used to something doesn't mean that it isn't a huge ergonomical flaw... many people are used to staggered, non-split, non-tilted/tented boards, but they are looking for something different for a reason and it seems to me that switches - and the potential fatigue associated with bottoming out - would be an important aspect.

Please, let's not introduce logical arguments here.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 18:25:20 »

The keyswitches  Really doesn't matter when it comes to Ergonomics..  that is strictly in the realm of preference..

The only thing that makes a difference is SPLIT keyboard, and high Tenting angle..   Those 2 impact ergonomics the most,

Everything else you can do without and it wouldn't affect operation  relative to RSI issues.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 18:55:26 »

The keyswitches  Really doesn't matter when it comes to Ergonomics..  that is strictly in the realm of preference..

The only thing that makes a difference is SPLIT keyboard, and high Tenting angle..   Those 2 impact ergonomics the most,

Everything else you can do without and it wouldn't affect operation  relative to RSI issues.

Although for some people typing on low-travel, rubber dome keyboards feels like typing on a wall after awhile, with the accompanying finger fatigue.  For me, there is a big difference if I spend the whole day on a mechanical keyboard or typical laptop keyboard.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 13:30:18 »

I tend to disagree.

erˇgoˇnomˇic
ərɡəˈnämik/
adjective
(especially of workplace design) intended to provide optimum comfort and to avoid stress or injury.

If we are truly to consider ergonomics, certainly switches become important in the discussion.  The best ergonomic board in the world with switches too heavy for me is still pretty much useless as I'm going to end up fatigued from prolonged use.  Switches should likely be an ergonomic consideration.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 14:26:23 »

I tend to disagree.

erˇgoˇnomˇic
ərɡəˈnämik/
adjective
(especially of workplace design) intended to provide optimum comfort and to avoid stress or injury.

If we are truly to consider ergonomics, certainly switches become important in the discussion.  The best ergonomic board in the world with switches too heavy for me is still pretty much useless as I'm going to end up fatigued from prolonged use.  Switches should likely be an ergonomic consideration.

Yea exactly.  However, the same switches will affect individuals differently, so maybe it should be not a key ergonomic factor, but rather something to consider.  Some of us might be fine typing on the Sculpt scissor keys all day without pain, whereas some of us won't make it an hour.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 November 2016, 19:26:44 »

I tend to disagree.

erˇgoˇnomˇic
ərɡəˈnämik/
adjective

Yea exactly.  However, the same switches will affect individuals differently, so maybe it should be not a key ergonomic factor, but rather something to consider.  Some of us might be fine typing on the Sculpt scissor keys all day without pain, whereas some of us won't make it an hour.

Absolutely.  Individuals will respond differently to the switches out there and have their preferences on what is more or less ergonomic for them.  I was more meaning that switches should be a consideration per user when considering overall ergonomics in a keyboard and not trying to push one type of switch over another.

Offline Shawnee

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 03:09:04 »

Ergodox is no doubt one of the best ergo broad TBH, but it layout into 2 pieces might be difficult for most of us to adapt to

Offline vvp

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 06:18:11 »
Ergodox is no doubt one of the best ergo broad TBH, but it layout into 2 pieces might be difficult for most of us to adapt to
The fact that ergodox is split is one of its best features. It gives you an option to adjust angles/distances freely.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 13:22:38 »

---WRONG, Newb Ideology---

Switches absolutely do not matter to Ergonomics, because whatever minor deficit the switch possesses,  it can be compensated for through a slight change in typing technique, or typing pacing..

WHEREAS,  the tenting angle of the keyboard to meet the neutral angle of the wrist is NON_NEGOTIABLE...

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 17:46:28 »

---WRONG, Newb Ideology---

Switches absolutely do not matter to Ergonomics, because whatever minor deficit the switch possesses,  it can be compensated for through a slight change in typing technique, or typing pacing..

WHEREAS,  the tenting angle of the keyboard to meet the neutral angle of the wrist is NON_NEGOTIABLE...

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  For me, switches are a significant ergonomic decision.  So much so that I can use a lighter switch and forego other ergonomics without problem whereas an ergonomic design on heavier switches has caused me pain when I've tried.

Put simply, I can use a 104 keyboard with MX reds and have fewer problems with pain than were I to use a heavier switch in an ergonomic (tented/split) layout.  This has been tested with the larger number of hours spent on that heavier tent/split board before going to MX reds.  Technique could help reduce problems at the sacrifice of productivity but a simple switch change granted me improved productivity and decreased pain.  Technique improvements that would benefit one would also benefit the other.  I'm left with a switch that has provided me clear benefits even after having used it a much shorter time.