Author Topic: GMK Penumbra?  (Read 392953 times)

Offline sherbo

GMK Penumbra?
« on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 09:50:16 »
I'm not posting this in IC because I have no idea how this would get done nor do I have renders. I was looking at the GMK Carbon IC and it made me think about how good penumbra (solarized) colorway would look as a GMK keycap set. I mean look at it! It would make a gorgeous GMK set!

Offline zombimuncha

Re: GMK Penumbra?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 09:52:38 »
or JTK.

Offline scubaste

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 09:55:54 »
 At the very least you would need permission from the original designer. I have a feeling that the designer, or whoever has his/her "blessing" to use the design most likely have some plans for the Penumbra colorway already. But yeah GMK Penumbra would look fantastic.

Offline sherbo

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 09:59:42 »
or JTK.

Even better! Doing something like this would really set them apart from GMK, besides the price.

Offline yinzer

• I'm new around here ... please don't notice.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 13:43:56 »
I'd strongly suggest you contact BunnyLake. CTRL.ALT plans to continue to sell this set.

Once all the old stuff is out we will be running round 2, it'll be the final sp buy we ever do as I promised I would do it

It'll be an all in one set like hackd was

A similar proposition for Hyperfuse popped up on Reddit yesterday and it was not well recieved. Even though CTRL.ALT doesn't own the colors, it is nonetheless their design.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 16:27:25 »
I'd strongly suggest you contact BunnyLake. CTRL.ALT plans to continue to sell this set.

Once all the old stuff is out we will be running round 2, it'll be the final sp buy we ever do as I promised I would do it

A similar proposition for Hyperfuse popped up on Reddit yesterday and it was not well recieved. Even though CTRL.ALT doesn't own the colors, it is nonetheless their design.

That thread was such a beautiful ****show.  :))

Offline zslane

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 17:26:30 »
Even if they do elect to run more rounds of SA Penumbra, I don't know that a GMK Penumbra would pose a problem. I observe a distinct "us vs. them" mentality when it comes to GMK (cylindrical) and SA (spherical) keycaps within the community. Is there really that much overlap between the two camps? I'm not so sure there is.

In the end, I don't see a lot of SA sales getting lost to a GMK group buy, or vice versa. I think they can peacfully co-exist.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 14:35:26 »
Even if they do elect to run more rounds of SA Penumbra, I don't know that a GMK Penumbra would pose a problem. I observe a distinct "us vs. them" mentality when it comes to GMK (cylindrical) and SA (spherical) keycaps within the community. Is there really that much overlap between the two camps? I'm not so sure there is.

In the end, I don't see a lot of SA sales getting lost to a GMK group buy, or vice versa. I think they can peacfully co-exist.

The issue isn't GMK vs SA, like you said, both have a market.

The issue is the Penumbra is CtrlAlt's (or just bunny's?) colorway, at best it's shameful, and at worst illegal (intellectual property laws), to try and produce a set with the colorway without their (his) permission.

It's CtrlAlt's decision to do GMK Penumbra if it is to happen, not anyone else's.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 15:13:40 »
Incorrect.

Ryan Uber was the one that adapted the very popular Solarized pallete for a keycap set, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49634.0. If anyone has the rights to the color it is Ethan Shoonover.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 15:19:24 »
Incorrect.

Ryan Uber was the one that adapted the very popular Solarized pallete for a keycap set, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49634.0. If anyone has the rights to the color it is Ethan Shoonover.

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I'm stupid.

I completely mixed that up with hyperfuse due to the drama.  :-[

Offline dunglefinker

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 10:35:18 »

That thread was such a beautiful ****show.  :))

Goodness gracious that poor woman. PitchforkEmporium showed up too late it was such a poopshoot

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 17:34:11 »

The issue isn't GMK vs SA, like you said, both have a market.

The issue is the Penumbra is CtrlAlt's (or just bunny's?) colorway, at best it's shameful, and at worst illegal (intellectual property laws), to try and produce a set with the colorway without their (his) permission.

It's CtrlAlt's decision to do GMK Penumbra if it is to happen, not anyone else's.

Colorways receive no legal protection at all.  This was confirmed by Signature Plastics some time ago.

Here's the link: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78797.msg2015702#msg2015702
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 May 2016, 17:40:13 by Niomosy »

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 03:10:21 »
Colorways receive no legal protection at all.  This was confirmed by Signature Plastics some time ago.

Here's the link: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78797.msg2015702#msg2015702

While true, you can expect pressure from folks who have created these designs to maintain sole rights of production by pressuring the manufacturers like SP/GMK. Also, the community likely won't take kindly to ripping off another's design even when not protected by law, so hitting MOQ will be difficult.

Best to make your own instead of copying someone else's. Picking a couple of color codes from a small range to look nice together and appeal to a wide audience should not be overly difficult.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 13:30:58 »

While true, you can expect pressure from folks who have created these designs to maintain sole rights of production by pressuring the manufacturers like SP/GMK. Also, the community likely won't take kindly to ripping off another's design even when not protected by law, so hitting MOQ will be difficult.

Best to make your own instead of copying someone else's. Picking a couple of color codes from a small range to look nice together and appeal to a wide audience should not be overly difficult.

SP has already stated there's no production exclusivity here.   Barring any trademark problems with novelty caps, they'll produce so long as you bring them a colorway, money.

As to the community, that heavily depends.  Flatline had plenty of backers though I imagine other sets might fare differently.  It would depend on the set and the designer.  If the designer has no interest in running something, it's open for the community.

Offline zoomwalt

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 22:48:39 »

SP has already stated there's no production exclusivity here.   Barring any trademark problems with novelty caps, they'll produce so long as you bring them a colorway, money.

As to the community, that heavily depends.  Flatline had plenty of backers though I imagine other sets might fare differently.  It would depend on the set and the designer.  If the designer has no interest in running something, it's open for the community.

do you know what SP's MOQ is?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 11:53:39 »

do you know what SP's MOQ is?

Their MoQ is pretty low but the price per set goes up at lower quantities so volume is still important.  You can probably check out MassDrop's other SP set runs as the community page normally lists pricing options.  50 ends up a rough starting point for the base kit but it's not a hard set number.

Offline spookydoge

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 08:30:04 »
According to the GMK Carbon IC, the MOQ for custom colors would be around 400. That should definitely be doable.
And regarding the colors, Solarized is completely free to use (even commercially), so there should not be any issues.

So I think a GMK Solarized/Penumbra GB would work and hit MOQ.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 20:53:09 »
According to the GMK Carbon IC, the MOQ for custom colors would be around 400. That should definitely be doable.
And regarding the colors, Solarized is completely free to use (even commercially), so there should not be any issues.

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 22:14:15 »
can I ask, if there's anywhere that stocks or sells GMK keycaps, can't seem to find anyone who stocks them. though I might not have enough to burn for a proper set.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 23:35:25 »
can I ask, if there's anywhere that stocks or sells GMK keycaps, can't seem to find anyone who stocks them. though I might not have enough to burn for a proper set.

You can find them on Originative's site.  The GMK Skeletor group buy is up now.  Otherwise they have GMK Cyan or Orange up for purchase right now.

https://www.originativeco.com/ 

Thought 150 was only for standard colors.  Didn't custom colors still have a higher MoQ? 
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 July 2016, 23:38:44 by Niomosy »

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 21:45:00 »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thanks!

they are a bit too blinding for me. was hoping for something with dolch colored keycaps, but maybe color text or something. like the sky dolch. but it's sold out, maybe I should wait for the next drop.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 21:47:24 »
I would fart rainbow if this happens
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 July 2016, 22:20:15 by juahenza »
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline spookydoge

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 12:06:06 »
I did a mockup for a GMK Solarized keyset, please tell me what you think about it!
Note: keycap colors appear wrong on the site, the border of the key has the actual color.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/2a5e7cbfdc4ad69b6d1b3f67a6a3d25d

Offline GSimon

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 21:30:52 »
I did a mockup for a GMK Solarized keyset, please tell me what you think about it!
Note: keycap colors appear wrong on the site, the border of the key has the actual color.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/2a5e7cbfdc4ad69b6d1b3f67a6a3d25d

So...Triumph Adler basically.

The Penumbra colorway with the alternate grey on creme alphas would at least look different.

It would be cool to just do the mods for Penumbra really, they make up most of the set's feel

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 05:16:42 »

It would be cool to just do the mods for Penumbra really, they make up most of the set's feel

^this

Offline Nask

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 08:28:59 »
GMK/JTL Penumbra/Solarized, we have to make it real !
Keyboards: IBM SSK | Noppoo Choc Mini MX-Blue | PLU ML-87 MX-Brown | CM QFR Mx-Red | CM Novatouch

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 23:23:20 »
looks like your dream came true
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83635.0

Offline sherbo

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 06:53:06 »
looks like your dream came true
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83635.0

Wow, I had honestly given up hope. Looks like I won't be getting GMK Carbon then.

Offline Proyoyo

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 10:22:56 »
& it might come earlier than our expectation since Bunny's already coordinated it with GMK & vendor.

Offline repuls0r

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 11:47:29 »
Definitely comes as  surprise,  expecting SA,  and got GMK instead
Matrix 8XV1.0  |  FMJ 80  |  SKOG  |  TGR Jane CE  |  Orion V2  |  Mech27  |  LZCP  |  TXCP  |  CPSQ  |  TX1800

Offline Geckt

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 12:14:39 »
That's gonna be a real mad dash with only 500sets according to Bunny's words......
 :(

Offline repuls0r

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 19:15:26 »
That's gonna be a real mad dash with only 500sets according to Bunny's words......

Definitely if the 500 available includes the China market too
Matrix 8XV1.0  |  FMJ 80  |  SKOG  |  TGR Jane CE  |  Orion V2  |  Mech27  |  LZCP  |  TXCP  |  CPSQ  |  TX1800

Offline shower_king

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 00:26:42 »

please don't generate unnecessary worries and anxieties.
please use not"only 500 sets" but "enough 500 sets"
GMK carbon's success may not be replicated in the foreseeable future. There are many factors attributed to that success.
One primary factor is that MD has  more audience than GH from other hobby areas. It is unbelievable that many who have not used or bought a mechanical keyboard have joined in the GMK carbon party. I am pretty sure that phenomenon will not  happen to GMK penumbra, since bunny has said this set would be sold by a vendor's website. Even being sold on GH as well ,  500 sets would be enough for those who long for  to buy one set GMK penumbra.
Looking at the GMK skeletor  has been launch in sherryton's website, it is 200 or more sets ?i am not sure about that, but the limited audience actually have an effect on that. Thus there is no need to cause unnecessary worries that we could not even buy one set.
Another boost in China? OK, i come from China , i have got acquaintance with some proxys. Some proxys would not provide service for buying on GH. That will not cause shoping boost for GMK boost like MD. pLEASE calm down and take it easy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2016, 00:32:00 by shower_king »

Offline Geckt

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 02:41:27 »

please don't generate unnecessary worries and anxieties.
please use not"only 500 sets" but "enough 500 sets"
GMK carbon's success may not be replicated in the foreseeable future. There are many factors attributed to that success.
One primary factor is that MD has  more audience than GH from other hobby areas. It is unbelievable that many who have not used or bought a mechanical keyboard have joined in the GMK carbon party. I am pretty sure that phenomenon will not  happen to GMK penumbra, since bunny has said this set would be sold by a vendor's website. Even being sold on GH as well ,  500 sets would be enough for those who long for  to buy one set GMK penumbra.
Looking at the GMK skeletor  has been launch in sherryton's website, it is 200 or more sets ?i am not sure about that, but the limited audience actually have an effect on that. Thus there is no need to cause unnecessary worries that we could not even buy one set.
Another boost in China? OK, i come from China , i have got acquaintance with some proxys. Some proxys would not provide service for buying on GH. That will not cause shoping boost for GMK boost like MD. pLEASE calm down and take it easy.

I don't see how it's generating anxiety, in fact if you did enough back tracking the words don't come from me. As for repuls0r, idk really. He isn't wrong either IF it IS as commented to be limited to ONLY 500sets.

From my PoV, I’d trust that people would rather read/trust posted info from GB OPs when it comes to popular items like these keysets then to just believe in random convo comments.

So, IF it's handled the way it is like GMK Skeletor as you mentioned, I'd trust it will be less than expected of course. GMK Skeletor is almost a “Sudden strike” launch with a soft maximum order quantity which is still very similar to a directly stated quantity limit somehow.

And in the end, I certainly don't see why it needs to go into a touchy area where nationality has to come into the topics tho it was mentioned. So I agree with you for that one, everyone needs to tone it down a little and grab a tea.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2016, 02:56:29 by Geckt »

Offline shower_king

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 03:02:22 »
OK,,i don't know why somebody wanna to make things into flame.
I just want to clarify a truth not to put where you come from into touchy area.
If your live in China and know the proxy, you will know what i said . if not , please not put things into flame.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 17:19:39 »

He's mentioned that both SA and GMK runs are planned.

As for concerns on quantity, I don't think it's a huge issue.  If more quantity is needed, another run can be done.

Offline canigetanipa

GMK Penumbra?
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 09:36:59 »
Would be nice to know when the buy might go live
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 July 2016, 09:41:01 by canigetanipa »

Offline keyladding

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 08:26:31 »

As for concerns on quantity, I don't think it's a huge issue.  If more quantity is needed, another run can be done.

Is Originative doing Penumbra GMK next round?  Like Hyperfuse?

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 16:39:13 »

Is Originative doing Penumbra GMK next round?  Like Hyperfuse?

I don't recall a vendor being mentioned the last time I checked.  It was just that both sets are going to be run and someone had confirmed with GMK that a request was submitted for the Penumbra colorway.  There may be further updates that I'm not aware of as I've not checked up on it in a while.

Offline Lepidus

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 17:14:41 »
I guess HyperFuse sale settled the discussion about 500 sets being or not enough.
2 days after HF and they still have plenty of stock.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 23:31:57 »
I guess HyperFuse sale settled the discussion about 500 sets being or not enough.

Vendor prices are too high, atleast they are available for people who have deep pockets or just dying to get those set.

Is penumbra gonna be sold by originative?

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 00:05:57 »

Vendor prices are too high, atleast they are available for people who have deep pockets or just dying to get those set.

160$ is a totally reasonable price for a complete hyperfuse set imo. I guess your comparing it to base kit prices of other sets? What's a reasonable price in your opinion? Honestly, if originative does release penumbra, and I can't imagine anyone else will after hosting hyperfuse,  I might have to buy another board just to put it on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 01:09:00 »

160$ is a totally reasonable price for a complete hyperfuse set imo. I guess your comparing it to base kit prices of other sets? What's a reasonable price in your opinion? Honestly, if originative does release penumbra, and I can't imagine anyone else will after hosting hyperfuse,  I might have to buy another board just to put it on.

Oh yeah they offer the complete set... which is fair for its price. considering the base was sold at around $115 and no waiting time

But the other keys, I have no use for, it would have been nice to offer them in kits tho...

especially for people like me who live outside US who has to pay shipping + tax :(

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 01:16:02 »

Oh yeah they offer the complete set... which is fair for its price. considering the base was sold at around $115 and no waiting time

But the other keys, I have no use for, it would have been nice to offer them in kits tho...

especially for people like me who live outside US who has to pay shipping + tax :(
Yea though I'm pretty sure that's why they went with originative; to release the largest number of sets to the largest number of people while the ctrlalt team deals with past GBs. I think this is helping them raise money to complete past orders. I respect that.

Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel