Author Topic: What keycap Profile do you prefer the most?  (Read 78938 times)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
What keycap Profile do you prefer the most?
« on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 03:48:36 »
Ive been wondering what keycaps profile is preferred by most?

which one is the best for you?

here's a guide for keycap profiles:

TOP CONTENDERS FOR MOST PREFERED KEYCAP PROFILE
1. CHERRY
2. DSA
3. SA
4. OEM
5. DCS

I currently own:
1. Ducky ABS & PBT oem
2. Taihao PBT oem
3. Granite PBT SA
4. Varmilo step sculpture 2

quite honestly i prefer step sculpture 2 over the rest, im quite interested on having some GMK with cherry profile.

« Last Edit: Sun, 21 August 2016, 21:44:17 by potatobot »

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
Re: What keycap Profile do you prefer the most?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 04:35:12 »
I personally enjoy the typing experience that cherry profiles offers the most. Looks wise though, I'd have to go with DSA! :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 05:37:36 »
List hasn't got Model M keycaps :p

I like Model M keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 06:23:34 »
I personally enjoy the typing experience that cherry profiles offers the most. Looks wise though, I'd have to go with DSA! :thumb:

I hope i get my hands on some gmks soon :)) waiting for penumbra to drop! Rip wallet.

I like Model M keycaps.

What profile do model m keycaps have mate? I like the colorway tho :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 06:38:16 »
Visually: DSA.
Typing: Cherry.

Honourable mention to stock Topre caps for being solid though.

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 12:57:53 »
SA and DSA. They are the only profiles I (willingly) type on.

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 12:58:48 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:47:18 by Khers »

Offline Aricil

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 16:41:47 »
I like cherry, and I like OEM, but I LOVE what varmilo does. I wish I could get more caps in whatever that profile is. I'm waiting on Overcast and Jukebox to ship so I can try those profiles out as well.
Professional amateur.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 20:58:59 »
Visually: DSA.
Typing: Cherry.

Honourable mention to stock Topre caps for being solid though.

What cherry profiled keycaps do you have mate? :D

I prefer Topre. Cherry-profile is also good, though. As is IBM :).

The only thing I really can't stand is non-sculpted flat profiles, like dsa and all-r3 sa.

typing on DSA's now, i have no issues using switching from dsa and oem and step sculpture 2  :))

I like cherry, and I like OEM, but I LOVE what varmilo does. I wish I could get more caps in whatever that profile is. I'm waiting on Overcast and Jukebox to ship so I can try those profiles out as well.

I know right? varmilo pbt feels awesome, i hope they would offer cyan modifiers coz the last time i saw them was on MD

So the height of SA doesnt affect your typing then? what caps do you have mate? :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 21:47:44 »

I hope i get my hands on some gmks soon :)) waiting for penumbra to drop! Rip wallet.

I like Model M keycaps.

Similar to OEM, except it is the plate that is curved and all keycaps are the same height.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zslane

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 22:09:24 »

So the height of SA doesnt affect your typing then? what caps do you have mate? :D

It did at first because I wasn't used to such a high profile, but it didn't take that long to grow accustomed to them. I have Round 4 SPH on my board at work and PuLSE on my board at home. I have Granite on my Pok3r at work, and Dolch DSA on my Pok3r at home.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 00:31:10 »

I like Model M keycaps.

Similar to OEM, except it is the plate that is curved and all keycaps are the same height.

I see, yeah i saw a Model M plate, i was amazed that it was curve. i never knew the caps had the same height tho.

can you post some shots of the profile? i want to compile them for future reference TIA.  ;D

It did at first because I wasn't used to such a high profile, but it didn't take that long to grow accustomed to them. I have Round 4 SPH on my board at work and PuLSE on my board at home. I have Granite on my Pok3r at work, and Dolch DSA on my Pok3r at home.

I also use granite on my poker II at work but im having a hard time adjusting to mx clears coz im usually using browns and reds. I might transfer this set to my varmilo with browns soon because i want to test them out when i play games  :cool:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 06:07:16 »

I like Model M keycaps.

I see, yeah i saw a Model M plate, i was amazed that it was curve. i never knew the caps had the same height tho.

can you post some shots of the profile? i want to compile them for future reference TIA.  ;D

Not my pic, but:

144468-0

Linked from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/keycap_guides#wiki_key_profile

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 11:12:38 »

I like Model M keycaps.

Not my pic, but:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Linked from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/keycap_guides#wiki_key_profile

Oh thats informative mate, we just had a keyboard meet and i rounded some goodies! Finally got my fingers on some SA profile caps! :)

I hope we get to see and feel some ibm model m's on the next meet tho.

The other cap & switch appears to be some kind of alps switch(not familiar with those) and they say it feels like the buckling spring but we couldnt really tell :))

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 14:34:02 »
Anything with homing bars.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 19:48:57 »

Could you please elaborate more on those homing bars? Im not familiar with those :(

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 19:59:41 »
Personally for me

#1 Cherry profile Thick PBT
#2 DCS ABS (Though i wish the plastic was thicker)
#3 Thick PBT OEM
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 00:27:36 »

Could you please elaborate more on those homing bars? Im not familiar with those :(

There's more discussion about them here.

Offline kasakka

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 12:46:43 »
What are your issues with the DSA and DCS caps? I've never tried them and I understand some don't like SA because of how tall they are but DCS should be close to Cherry or OEM, right? What about DSA?

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 13:13:14 »
What are your issues with the DSA and DCS caps? I've never tried them and I understand some don't like SA because of how tall they are but DCS should be close to Cherry or OEM, right? What about DSA?

DCS is close to Cherry but the problem is it's made in ABS and the plastic is VERY thin which can give it a soso feel compared to Cherry Profile which is available in THICK PBT by comparison and feels much better.  Comparing my Cherry profile BSP to my DCS Midnight from SP isn't even a competition. 

The midnight DCS set is gorgeous looking but in the feels department aside from the shorter profile the plastic itself doesn't feel THAT much better than a $20 Rosewill Doubleshot ABS set.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 23:12:52 »
well if you want good colors you have to get abs coz PBT colors are very limited

but the feels PBT offers is too good

so im stuck in a bad place..

im waiting for some new GMKs to release something new. i really want to try cherry profile(which is relatively close to step sculpture 2)

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 01:43:52 »
For me The DA is better.

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 01:47:19 »
I'd prefer the macbook keyboard

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 16:57:03 »
I've tried ABS OEM, PBT OEM (Ducky), and SP SA.  I'm still getting comfy with SA but it's not bad thus far.  I think I still slightly prefer the feel of PBT, though.

I've got SP DSA (ABS) and GMK sets coming so I'll figure those out as they come in.

Offline zslane

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 18:22:16 »
SA definitely takes some getting used to, what with the keys being so tall and all. Makes me wish there was an extra 1mm of throw in the switches.

I do kinda like that soft pumice stone feel of PBT DSA keycaps from SP (ala Granite), but the sheer beauty of tall double-shot SA caps trumps the feel of PBT (and the look of dyesub) in my book.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 19:01:48 »
So far I've grow-ed up with OEM and that key-shape/sculpture never seems to disappoint. The keyboard keycaps I'm using now are similar in sculpture to DSA--I don't think I'll like DSA.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 20:34:16 »
I wouldn't mind trying some PBT DSA caps at some point but Granite wasn't a colorway that really thrilled me into wanting to spend a gob of money on caps.  Tempting to try and come up with a fun colorway that can be dyesub'ed on DSA to give that a try.

Offline zslane

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 21:48:40 »
I find that DSA works really nicely on a Pok3r where they feel taller than when they are installed on a typical full-size board with a regular case (where the keys are sort of "countersunk" in the case by a mm or two). SA, on the other hand, feels too tall to me on small boards with no upper case shell, like the Pok3r.

So I've put SA on my full-size boards and DSA on my Pok3rs. Couldn't be happier.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 22:21:10 »
I totally agree with granite working better on poker (mine is mx clear). i tried putting mine on my b.face (gateron reds) and they totally feel weird. they feel like a laptop's keyboard.

I might try my Granite on my varmilo va87 if it works.

P.S. granite keycaps are PBT right? why arent the sides rough? mine was from the 2nd batch

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 22:55:44 »
Cherry profile is the one I use the most because of available keycaps and quality.
They are not too high. They are available in PBT, printed/lasered with (almost) my layout or blank from several manufacturers and can be mixed and matched.
I also like that the keycaps have sharp edges in the bottom, which looks good.

There are properties I like in other keycaps:
- Dell AT101W has the space-bar row in Space Bar profile which is more comfortable for the thumbs.
- DCS and Topre have nice surface texture and a more acute angle on the ZXCV row.
- Apple Alps-era keyboards (AEK, AEKII, ASK) have contoured top cases, with the bottom edge of the keys contoured to fit thus having no key row looking higher than any other even though they are.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 00:57:50 »
DSA on a smaller board sounds like a plan.  Ideally, for me, I'll be able to pick up a good 75% board in the relatively near future to have another home for all my cap sets.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 01:12:19 »
I totally agree with granite working better on poker (mine is mx clear). i tried putting mine on my b.face (gateron reds) and they totally feel weird. they feel like a laptop's keyboard.

Show Image

P.S. granite keycaps are PBT right? why arent the sides rough? mine was from the 2nd batch

If I was to ever try DSA..

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 03:03:13 »

Show Image

If I was to ever try DSA..

They feel okay, i still prefer my varmilo caps (step sculpture 2) and ducky oems. i really want gmks tho

Offline Trystero

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 03:41:18 »
Definitely SA. I still type better on cylindrical tops, but that's what 18 odd years of typing on them does. But visually, can't go past that retro high profile spherical.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 08:27:00 »
i think some keycap profiles works better on certain types of switches. do you guys agree?  :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 08:45:21 »
Some key caps have been made to be industrial friendly and layout neutral, like DSA, others are made to replicate a long and lost era, like SA, whose profile was replaced for a reason; even, some are made to be produced at low cost like all the thin versions of OEm profile keys in different materials.

Fortunately for some of us, there are some manufacturers that stick to high quality in both design and manufacturing, that still produce the best profile, Cherry, with a high quality process, double shot molding. It is not for everyone, though, for the cost conscious, low cost OEM key caps are the best, for those that want nice color combinations and use non standard layouts DSA and SA non-contoured sets will fit, The last may give the sense that you are typing in a very old keyboard with an outstanding look, for the those interested in gave their boards a fashion look, contoured SA, for the rest of us, only interested in getting the best typing and the longer lasting key cap sets, Cherry profile, either, old vintage OG sets, or brand new GMK made ones, that may not exactly be the same outstanding quality of the good old Cherry, but they are still quite good. Ah, do not forget that some like the Cherry profile in dry feeling PBT, for those, there are some sets in that material and in Cherry profile.

Offline zslane

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 14:17:37 »

Show Image

Granite on a Pok3r FTW!

DSA and SA keycaps are "semi-gloss" smooth on the sides, even if the tops have a matte finish (as with DSA).

Offline mathilda

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 17:22:04 »
Typing + Visually + Fingertip feel =>  SA profile 11234(3/4)

Just typing => Cherry

Hate but they're ok on my portable 60% or 70% keyboards => DSA or SA Uniform Row 3

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 20:23:05 »
I normally prefer cherry, but i just picked up a set of DSA caps and im liking them. They make my ergos feel heavier but smoother.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 21:35:51 »
Typing + Visually + Fingertip feel =>  SA profile 11234(3/4)

Just typing => Cherry

Hate but they're ok on my portable 60% or 70% keyboards => DSA or SA Uniform Row 3

Im dying to try out some cherry profile caps now.

the SA feels solid even though im not too fond with the height. i might get 2nd hand SA caps tho haha

Show Image

Granite on a Pok3r FTW!

(Attachment Link)

DSA and SA keycaps are "semi-gloss" smooth on the sides, even if the tops have a matte finish (as with DSA).

oh so thats why. thanks mate! :D

I normally prefer cherry, but i just picked up a set of DSA caps and im liking them. They make my ergos feel heavier but smoother.

:thumb: yeah DSA on my clears feel too heavy for me tho. i havent tried modding them to ergos, what springs do you use?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 22:22:45 »

:thumb: yeah DSA on my clears feel too heavy for me tho. i havent tried modding them to ergos, what springs do you use?

62g gold koreans

Offline Trystero

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 02:25:52 »
Looks like I ought to try cherry profile... Might be a good excuse to pick up an MX Blue switch keyboard
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 August 2016, 10:17:59 by Trystero »

Offline mathilda

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 03:11:59 »
Im dying to try out some cherry profile caps now.

the SA feels solid even though im not too fond with the height. i might get 2nd hand SA caps tho haha

Believe me you won't be disappointed with Cherry profile caps. But you should get a thick Cherry profile keycap set, it will be better. A thick PBT Cherry profile keycap set will be even much more better.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 04:43:10 »
Can't beat cherry profile, its the best

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 05:50:03 »
Looks like I ought to try cherry profile... Might be a good excuse to pick up a MX Blue switch keyboard

Cherry profile keycaps on almost any keyboard/switch is an improvement.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 09:46:38 »

Looks like I ought to try cherry profile... Might be a good excuse to pick up a MX Blue switch keyboard

Can you guys send me some cherry caps? lemme try them out please!  ;D

62g gold koreans

From sprit? how do they compare to 62g-65g zeals? :D im choosing between those switches for my next project

my only concern with mx clear's stem is the size, they are thicker than other stems (my own observation). My granite set feels a tad bit loose on other switches.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 09:57:49 »

62g gold koreans

From sprit? how do they compare to 62g-65g zeals? :D im choosing between those switches for my next project

my only concern with mx clear's stem is the size, they are thicker than other stems (my own observation). My granite set feels a tad bit loose on other switches.

All I can say about Zealios is that they are nothing close to Cherry clears, they feel different, not necessarily in a bad, the first are extremely light with pretty much no bump, while clears feel solid and with a crisp bump.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 11:28:38 »

62g gold koreans

All I can say about Zealios is that they are nothing close to Cherry clears, they feel different, not necessarily in a bad, the first are extremely light with pretty much no bump, while clears feel solid and with a crisp bump.

Well i have a hard time using clears for more than an hour, they feel so heavy on my fingers, maybe cause the bottom out force is too high?

Im also considering gateron clears tactile :)

Offline zslane

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 12:58:23 »
But Cherry caps are cylindrical... ewwwwwwwwwww...  :-\

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 19:32:37 »

You prefer flat caps?

i think oems also have Cylindrical tops and it doesnt bother me one bit.

currently using my ducky shine 2 for typing with ABS OEM keycaps (because my mx clears on poker just doesnt let me type for longer hours)

Offline zslane

« Reply #50 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 19:42:24 »
Flat caps are even worse than cylindrical!

Offline Trystero

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 20:21:02 »
Flat caps are even worse than cylindrical!

Spherical master race

Offline zslane

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 20:39:03 »
 :thumb:

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 20:51:25 »
Cherry profile.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 01:11:56 »
Haha cherry vs dsa/sa now :)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 07:01:32 »

You prefer flat caps?

currently using my ducky shine 2 for typing with ABS OEM keycaps (because my mx clears on poker just doesnt let me type for longer hours)

Seriously flat keycaps only have a place on Laptops, they feel oh so wrong on normal keyboards.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 10:12:02 »
Cylindrical profiles provide larger typing areas, while spherical made them smaller, being the main difference their appearance. The prevalence of the first over spherical speak for itself that cylindrical tops provide a more typing friendly surface. Spherical sets tend to be more popular within keyboard aficionados because they are not available in stock keyboards and they may look more interesting; but, truth be told, cylindrical key caps are more comfortable for typing, the lower profile of Cherry when compared with SA makes the MX switches to work at its best, SA make them to feel wobbly.

Offline zslane

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 11:51:35 »
The difference in surface area between cylindrical and spherical is so miniscule that I doubt it makes any noticeable difference to 99% of users. And in my case, I have small hands and excellent touch typing skills; I don't feel any performance difference between the two. So I go with the vastly superior look of spherical over cylindrical.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 20:36:57 »

You prefer flat caps?

Seriously flat keycaps only have a place on Laptops, they feel oh so wrong on normal keyboards.

dsa is not that bad. especially on heavier switches like mx clears

The difference in surface area between cylindrical and spherical is so miniscule that I doubt it makes any noticeable difference to 99% of users. And in my case, I have small hands and excellent touch typing skills; I don't feel any performance difference between the two. So I go with the vastly superior look of spherical over cylindrical.

+1 for cylindrical i.e. cherry

yeah i also prefer low profile caps like my varmilo caps that comes close to cherry profile which by the way is my next target :D

Cylindrical profiles provide larger typing areas, while spherical made them smaller, being the main difference their appearance. The prevalence of the first over spherical speak for itself that cylindrical tops provide a more typing friendly surface. Spherical sets tend to be more popular within keyboard aficionados because they are not available in stock keyboards and they may look more interesting; but, truth be told, cylindrical key caps are more comfortable for typing, the lower profile of Cherry when compared with SA makes the MX switches to work at its best, SA make them to feel wobbly.

+1 for Spherical i.e. DSA/SA

I agree they look awesome and who wouldnt want their keyboards to look fab  :thumb:

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 01:46:30 »

I'll be honest.  Even being on SA caps for months now, I can still feel the surface area difference between them and cylindrical (OEM) caps.  I'm getting more used to SA caps but the difference is definitely there.  Maybe I am the 1% in this though I'd really be surprised at that.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 04:29:07 »
AFAIK IBM made the switch from spherical to cylindrical to enlarge the area for legends.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 10:01:45 »
AFAIK IBM made the switch from spherical to cylindrical to enlarge the area for legends.

but spherical granites have large ass font haha!

I'll be honest.  Even being on SA caps for months now, I can still feel the surface area difference between them and cylindrical (OEM) caps.  I'm getting more used to SA caps but the difference is definitely there.  Maybe I am the 1% in this though I'd really be surprised at that.

im just getting used to my DSA keyset too, i only encountered problems with the inclination of the board. but yeah they are good especially on poker :)

Offline zslane

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 12:21:16 »
Maybe I am the 1% in this though I'd really be surprised at that.

Yeah, I imagine you are in the 1%. I highly recommend adapting to spherical sometime before Dasher arrives though.  ;D

Of the 35 years I've been typing on computer (or terminal) keyboards, I've probably been typing on cylindrical keycaps for around 30 of them. You'd think I'd really notice the difference in surface area, but for whatever reason my fingers are not sensitive to that. Profile height is a far more dramatic element of differentiation, and getting used to SA for me had nothing whatever to do with the shape of the tops and everything to do with the height of the caps.

Getting used to DSA required no adaptation on my part; they feel so much like OEM caps that there was no period of adustment.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 00:57:14 »
I really want to try out the SA but most of my keyboards have floating layout which scares me coz they might wobble allot

Im using my DSA on varmilo va87 with browns now and its not too bad :D

Hopefull i get to try out gateron clears or zeals 65g with my granite soon  XD

I couldnt put myself in a position to spend for an SA set, I think id get a GMK/JTK set and just hope someone could lend me their SA set to test  :D

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 00:59:53 »
Waiting on Hana for my first non-DCS profile, but so far, I like anything that has sharp corners
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 01:09:35 »
Waiting on Hana for my first non-DCS profile, but so far, I like anything that has sharp corners

Hey mate!

OHH is that for a 68key? That would look awesome! those are abs right? nevertheless welcome to the DSA club  :thumb:

I have a DCS esc key and its pretty close to Step-sculpture 2 so i like it :D

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 01:41:34 »

Hey mate!

OHH is that for a 68key? That would look awesome! those are abs right? nevertheless welcome to the DSA club  :thumb:

Nah, ATM I only have an unfinished 60% and an RS84. The 68 was going to be something I get later on. And correct, Hana is ABS. I never really understood the term step sculpture 2, what does that even mean?
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline lildragonbuns

• Formerly ilovekeycaps
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 02:34:11 »
I'm getting my first DCS keyset soon. I'm guessing it feels the same as cherry

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 02:59:20 »
I'm getting my first DCS keyset soon. I'm guessing it feels the same as cherry

woah, that would be great. tell me about it when you get them :D

Hey mate!

Nah, ATM I only have an unfinished 60% and an RS84. The 68 was going to be something I get later on. And correct, Hana is ABS. I never really understood the term step sculpture 2, what does that even mean?

That keyset would look pretty good on a pok3r with white case :P

Step-sculpture 2 is the profile used on varmilo pbt keycaps. i dont know if they also use them on leopolds as they were manufactured by the same plant/company or whatever.  ;D

Offline zslane

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 12:13:07 »
I really want to try out the SA but most of my keyboards have floating layout which scares me coz they might wobble allot.

I once tried PuLSE on my Pok3r at work, just as an experiment, and I didn't notice any exaggerated wobbling. However, the keys were just too tall for that board; they just didn't feel right. I have Granite on it instead (and Dolch DSA on my Pok3r at home).

I love SA, but not on everything...

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 12:28:03 »
I really want to try out the SA but most of my keyboards have floating layout which scares me coz they might wobble allot.

I once tried PuLSE on my Pok3r at work, just as an experiment, and I didn't notice any exaggerated wobbling. However, the keys were just too tall for that board; they just didn't feel right. I have Granite on it instead (and Dolch DSA on my Pok3r at home).

I love SA, but not on everything...

I tried using my SA keycap on varmilo and poker and they just look and feel weird. Haha

Do you have an extra 1.75 shift for granite? :)

Offline Barndenn

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 13:15:08 »
I've only used OEM profile keycaps so far but I'm pretty curious about how cherry profile keycaps would feel.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 17:06:41 »
The difference in feel between OEM and Cherry is practically only in height, Cherry being about 1-2 mm shorter. That is little enough that not everyone feels a difference.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 18:05:02 »
Maybe I am the 1% in this though I'd really be surprised at that.

Yeah, I imagine you are in the 1%. I highly recommend adapting to spherical sometime before Dasher arrives though.  ;D

Of the 35 years I've been typing on computer (or terminal) keyboards, I've probably been typing on cylindrical keycaps for around 30 of them. You'd think I'd really notice the difference in surface area, but for whatever reason my fingers are not sensitive to that. Profile height is a far more dramatic element of differentiation, and getting used to SA for me had nothing whatever to do with the shape of the tops and everything to do with the height of the caps.

Getting used to DSA required no adaptation on my part; they feel so much like OEM caps that there was no period of adustment.

Profile height was definitely more noticeable at first.  It threw me off for a while.  I think my fingers are a bit better with height now, though.  I'll keep working at it.  Dasher's too fantastic a set to pass up :D

Though I do have DSA and GMK sets coming in as well.  I really need to get another keyboard for this hobby.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 20:54:50 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:18:35 by alienman82 »

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 21:16:59 »
still neck on neck vs CHERRY and DSA/SA  :))

Im looking at tada68 it comes with PBT Cherry profile caps at a good price point :D

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 05:27:00 »
The difference in feel between OEM and Cherry is practically only in height, Cherry being about 1-2 mm shorter. That is little enough that not everyone feels a difference.

Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone with working fingers could NOT feel a difference...virtually impossible.  Now subjectively could you say some may not notice enough of a difference to care? Sure.  But not notice any difference at all?..I just don't see how that's possible honestly.

Current Daily Driver/s

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 11:26:44 »
Ever since i transferred my DSA keycaps on a lighter switch (gateron browns) ive regretted every second of my typing experience.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 12:15:29 »

Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone with working fingers could NOT feel a difference...virtually impossible.  Now subjectively could you say some may not notice enough of a difference to care? Sure.  But not notice any difference at all?..I just don't see how that's possible honestly.

Trying to generalize our very own personal experience is futile; however, it is a fact the profiles have differences, one is the height; but the most important one, for typing, is how thin the walls are, because that translates into weight that accounts for the tactility feedback, it also affects the sound the keyboard produces that is the auditory feedback. Personally, I have found that OEM profile feels a bit closer to Cherry if the caps are thick and differs more if they are thin, that most OEM profile sets are. If you have tried WASD keys, that are some of the thinner in the market in OEM profile you may understand what I am talking about, because Cherry sets in general are thick. But saying that nobody should notice the difference is just an empty comment.

Offline y2bd

• I'm just here for the caps
    • Twitter
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 19:59:01 »
SA are so so pretty but are just too tall for me.

DSA looks good in pictures but looks ugly in person IMO, and typing is mediocre.

I could really use a nice OEM set of caps, because Cherry is nice because nearly all Cherry caps are nice, but I like the height of the OEM compared to Cherry. For example, I'm not a big fan of buckling springs, but the caps on my Model M are fantastic.

We also need more cylindrical sets with crazy colors and centered legends to compete with SA. Evangs' Midnight Drive DCS set for example looks fantastic, but DCS is quite thin.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 August 2016, 20:02:39 by y2bd »

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 20:58:28 »
Comapring with the type like OEM and DSA,bla bla , I concern more about the size, Some keycaps are to big for me that led to uncomfortable type exprience. Beside . For different swich, we have different requirments towards our keycaps.

Offline zslane

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 17:25:25 »
DSA looks good in pictures but looks ugly in person IMO, and typing is mediocre.

I assure you that this looks as good in person as it does in the photo. Furthermore, I find the typing experience superior to that of the SS2 keycaps that originally came on the board.

145784-0

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 12:19:02 »
Ever since i transferred my DSA keycaps on a lighter switch (gateron browns) ive regretted every second of my typing experience.

Interesting.  I'll be running DSA caps on MX reds soon as MassDrop noted that Hana has shipped.  I'll soon get to see how that goes.

Offline zslane

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 14:27:14 »
I use MX reds exclusively and find them a joy to type on, even (especially?) with SA/DSA keycaps.

IMO, MX browns are a mistake regardless of the keycap style, so I wouldn't blame the keycaps for a s****y typing experience there. Hell, I'm interested in finding a satisfying tactile switch experience too, but since beamsprings are out of the question, my next (and only) choice is Topre with MX sliders. That RealForce MX board can't get here fast enough for me...

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 14:31:09 »
In order of preference:
Cherry
DCS
OEM
Root canal
SA
DSA

SA is too tall at the top of the board.  Some think (I agree) that it was originally conceived for and would be best on a curved plate.  DSA...so flat, might as well type on a laptop.  The ones I prefer are IMHO properly sculpted without being un-ergonomic.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 August 2016, 14:34:28 by heedpantsnow »
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline kingpilcrow

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 15:12:09 »
Cherry profile

Offline y2bd

• I'm just here for the caps
    • Twitter
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 15:31:05 »
I assure you that this looks as good in person as it does in the photo. Furthermore, I find the typing experience superior to that of the SS2 keycaps that originally came on the board.

I don't think it even looks that great in the photo, friend  :(. Not a big fan of the LOTR legends myself.

I don't have very solid opinions though, as I'm currently typing on my Gateron Clears Minivan with a DSA grabbag across the alphas. I'm not sure if it feels significantly different from the DCS caps that the board came with, but regardless I certainly don't mind it (maybe I've been putting DSA on the wrong switch types).

Offline zslane

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 15:36:33 »
DSA...so flat, might as well type on a laptop.  The ones I prefer are IMHO properly sculpted without being un-ergonomic.

I kinda know what you mean. That's why I was surprised to find that the height of DSA was essentially the same as the SS2 keycaps that came on my Varmilo boards. The "sculpt" on those keys was so subtle that I hardly noticed any difference when I put the Granite caps on. But the Granite caps look a million times better to me. And I say that as someone who really doesn't care for two-tone gray colorways as a general rule.

Offline tripandfall426

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 22:11:11 »
call me basic but I like OEM profile, ever since I got my vortex double shot pbt's I cant stop typing on my keyboard for fun lol

b.mini

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 01:47:09 »
It was mentioned on Reddit that Vortex will be doing DSA and SA caps.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/4yilad/dsasa_from_vortex_coming_soon/

Custom orders at an MoQ of... 1000 though.  So we just wait to see what they put out that ends up on Massdrop, Ebay, Amazon, etc.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 03:03:04 »
I use MX reds exclusively and find them a joy to type on, even (especially?) with SA/DSA keycaps.

IMO, MX browns are a mistake regardless of the keycap style, so I wouldn't blame the keycaps for a s****y typing experience there. Hell, I'm interested in finding a satisfying tactile switch experience too, but since beamsprings are out of the question, my next (and only) choice is Topre with MX sliders. That RealForce MX board can't get here fast enough for me...

I actually prefer gateron browns over reds tho linear switches feel weird to me, browns just have enough bump for the feels.

And for me, having dsa on a lighter switch i.e. browns or reds, just feel wrong.

I have gateron reds & browns, mx blues & clears and granite was amazing on the latter.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 August 2016, 12:03:09 by potatobot »

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 03:18:36 »
call me basic but I like OEM profile, ever since I got my vortex double shot pbt's I cant stop typing on my keyboard for fun lol

When I started off with some of my Vortex DoubleShot PBT caps I felt the same way for awhile, once I started expanding into different profiles however I no longer enjoyed them quite as much.  I still have a set of Vortex PBT Doubleshots on one of my older pok3r's but sat next to my newer backlit pok3r with Cherry Profile PBT I definitely notice a fairly large and enjoyable difference.   The OEM PBT still feels worlds better than stock caps but after trying some nice thick cherry profile caps I definitely now prefer the cherry.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 04:55:10 »
but the most important one, for typing, is how thin the walls are, because that translates into weight that accounts for the tactility feedback
Dubious.

The difference between common 1u keycaps (other than SA) is at most ~1 g, which is within margin of error even on relatively low-force switches (say ~50 g). In case of large caps, it partially depends on stabilization mechanism—actual problems with SA spacebars on ergo clears are a real thing.

I dare say the perceived difference in weight/tactility (on 1u keys) is caused entirely by the sound of typing. Want to prove me wrong? Properly administered blind&deaf test. I've tried and failed.

Note that I do agree about density/thickness' impact on amplification of switch sound.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 08:41:38 »
but the most important one, for typing, is how thin the walls are, because that translates into weight that accounts for the tactility feedback
Dubious.

The difference between common 1u keycaps (other than SA) is at most ~1 g, which is within margin of error even on relatively low-force switches (say ~50 g). In case of large caps, it partially depends on stabilization mechanism—actual problems with SA spacebars on ergo clears are a real thing.

I dare say the perceived difference in weight/tactility (on 1u keys) is caused entirely by the sound of typing. Want to prove me wrong? Properly administered blind&deaf test. I've tried and failed.

Note that I do agree about density/thickness' impact on amplification of switch sound.

The perceive difference may be due to the feedback in terms of the sound, or of the actuation point of the switch and key cap assembly, either way, there is a difference in the typing using difference key caps and switches, even when in isolation the physical features of each one are so tiny they contribute to the overall experience.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 09:18:05 »
I see a lot of words, but hardly any actual reasoning/information.

1u Wyse doubleshot (thin ABS, DCS profile) weighs 0.8 g.
1u Vortex doubleshot (thick PBT, OEM profile) weighs 1.5 g.
The difference is 0.7 g.
Cherry MX Brown switches peak at 55 ± 20 g before actuation at 45 ± 20 g. (Example from Cherry Corp.'s 1994 specification sheet.)

Offline zslane

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 11:34:05 »
Lucky for me I don't mind the differences between SA and DSA on MX red switches. I like them both just fine.

Is there some wobble with SA caps? Sure. Does it bother me? No; I'm too focused on what I'm typing to even notice.

Is there a difference in sound and feel between SA and DSA? Sure. Does it bother me? No; I like the difference, sort of like the difference between sweet and salty. I even like going back and forth between them during the course of a day.

Full disclosure: I only like MX red switches (and Topre too, I guess, but they need to accept MX keycaps before I'll ever use them), I only like 45cN of spring force, and I only like spherical topped keycaps in vintage terminal colorways. So I guess you could say I am as much a Princess bothered by that Pea as the rest of you guys. But not only do I not care about the differences that material, height, and thickness present, I embrace them for the interesting diversity in (slightly different) typing experiences they offer.

At the end of the day, we like what we like, and data sheets and ergonomic studies aren't going to change that for any of us. Nor are technical (and psudo-technical) rationales going to convince us to like or dislike something we don't already like or dislike.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 14:59:05 »
once you go cherry, you never go back

nothing else to declare  :D
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline nocturalowl

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 15:17:36 »
From what I have tried cherry is the best
2nd full countour SA
3rd oem  :-*

But as long the caps are thick I don't hate it. Strangely enough oem thin topre caps are really nice to type on.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 21:48:26 »
Lucky for me I don't mind the differences between SA and DSA on MX red switches. I like them both just fine.

Is there some wobble with SA caps? Sure. Does it bother me? No; I'm too focused on what I'm typing to even notice.

Is there a difference in sound and feel between SA and DSA? Sure. Does it bother me? No; I like the difference, sort of like the difference between sweet and salty. I even like going back and forth between them during the course of a day.

Full disclosure: I only like MX red switches (and Topre too, I guess, but they need to accept MX keycaps before I'll ever use them), I only like 45cN of spring force, and I only like spherical topped keycaps in vintage terminal colorways. So I guess you could say I am as much a Princess bothered by that Pea as the rest of you guys. But not only do I not care about the differences that material, height, and thickness present, I embrace them for the interesting diversity in (slightly different) typing experiences they offer.

At the end of the day, we like what we like, and data sheets and ergonomic studies aren't going to change that for any of us. Nor are technical (and psudo-technical) rationales going to convince us to like or dislike something we don't already like or dislike.

all about personal preference  :thumb:

note: getting used to DSA on my browns, not getting bothered by the flatness  :p inclining the keyboard is another thing tho.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 00:40:25 »
What about incline on a keyboard with DSA?  My board is on a negative incline (highest at the space bar) as I've got the front sitting on a wrist rest.  With OEM and SA, it seems pretty good.  Curious to see how that's going to go with something flat like DSA.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 01:31:55 »
What about incline on a keyboard with DSA?  My board is on a negative incline (highest at the space bar) as I've got the front sitting on a wrist rest.  With OEM and SA, it seems pretty good.  Curious to see how that's going to go with something flat like DSA.

Its just weird for me, im not sure how to explain it but ill show some pictures

SA (sculpted) inclined :

DSA inclined:

i hope you get my point.

Offline lovechan

• one for all,all for one,I'm lovechan,doing better.
    • HLZZ Keycaps
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 23:36:50 »
 I like  the cherry   and  oem   .^_^

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 06:55:53 »
Rage. So much rage right now :))

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 12:22:34 »
Rage. So much rage right now :))

Sup? :))

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 13:18:07 »
I like cherry most. Don't like SA or DSA, it's a pity as many beautiful keysets are in SA profile.

All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 13:34:10 »
I like cherry most. Don't like SA or DSA, it's a pity as many beautiful keysets are in SA profile.

See about running them as GMK runs?  The colors would either differ or need to be custom, though.

Offline B1G_B1RD

• * Maker
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 16:17:36 »
I think that i type most efficiently on DSA and like the look of the low profile. For just casual typing i enjoy SA because of how smooth they are. I will be getting some GMK caps next month and i have a feeling i will like the cherry profile the most.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 03:05:06 »
I think that i type most efficiently on DSA and like the look of the low profile. For just casual typing i enjoy SA because of how smooth they are. I will be getting some GMK caps next month and i have a feeling i will like the cherry profile the most.

Im still waiting for the end game GMK cherry profile keyset to happen tho, i bet they are going to be awesome coming from DSA granite.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 19:55:16 »
Now that I'm gaming on my PC again rather heavily and using the numbers + WASD cluster, I'm starting to wonder what profile I'll prefer.  I've got the DSA caps but have yet to put them on.  The kids wanted to do it with me and we just haven't had time to do so.  Then I've got GMK caps coming in with the Skeletor buy.

Right now I've been gaming with the SA caps and I'll admit it's taken some getting used to even after I was used to typing on them and doing a bit of gaming for a while playing Dishonored + Xpacs not too long ago.

Should be interesting to test through them all.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 21:36:30 »
Now that I'm gaming on my PC again rather heavily and using the numbers + WASD cluster, I'm starting to wonder what profile I'll prefer.  I've got the DSA caps but have yet to put them on.  The kids wanted to do it with me and we just haven't had time to do so.  Then I've got GMK caps coming in with the Skeletor buy.

Right now I've been gaming with the SA caps and I'll admit it's taken some getting used to even after I was used to typing on them and doing a bit of gaming for a while playing Dishonored + Xpacs not too long ago.

Hope to hear from you soon about that, still waiting for the gmk plum GB

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 23:03:06 »

Hope to hear from you soon about that, still waiting for the gmk plum GB

I'm also looking forward to those comparisons.  I'll try to get Hana on my keyboard this weekend to try out DSA for a while.  GMK Skeletor is due in October so I'll be able to run through that as well. 

The one thing about SA and gaming that's throwing me off is the negative tilt I've got on my board.  That combined with the tall caps and playing WoW, I'm spamming the number row constantly with need to move from 1 through 6 on a regular basis and 7 a bit as well.  The extra height throws me off for those types of movements while also trying to move with the WASD cluster.  It felt better last night than the night before so it's an adjustment. 

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 23:29:19 »
Well, I finally settled down and put Hana on my board to try out DSA.  Initial thoughts, though no game testing yet, is that I like the physical profile but am not so hot on the texture.  About to fire up WoW so we'll see how button mashing goes.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 03:03:59 »
Quick follow-up.  When gaming, DSA caps have been pretty solid.  I don't notice the texture quite so much and the height reduction is welcomed for lots of button mashing while gaming.  I'll probably just keep these on until Skeletor comes along and see how those go.

I think SA would probably be fine were my desk lower.  I'll eventually have to work on getting a better setup.

Offline zslane

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 12:26:44 »
...am not so hot on the texture.

That's interesting. The texture of PBT keycaps is half the reason ppl around here go gaga for them.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 19:33:00 »
...am not so hot on the texture.

That's interesting. The texture of PBT keycaps is half the reason ppl around here go gaga for them.

I believe Hana caps are ABS caps, not PBT.  I do like the PBT caps I got with my Ducky and am looking forward to trying more PBT sets.

Offline silaz

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:25:05 »
So far I like Cherry and Topre's (which I believe are similar to Cherry's). I have yet to try DSA since I new to the community, but slowly trying to find a solid DSA set.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:28:11 »
So far I like Cherry and Topre's (which I believe are similar to Cherry's). I have yet to try DSA since I new to the community, but slowly trying to find a solid DSA set.

If you meant solid literally, I am afraid that I have to report to you that there is no such thing as a solid DSA set, those key caps are manufactured with thin walls, that makes them light and hollow, even weak, but by no means solid.

Offline zslane

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:48:40 »
He couldn't have meant solid literally. No keycap is completely solid.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 22:38:40 »

solid, a good DSA set?  :thumb:

If you meant solid literally, I am afraid that I have to report to you that there is no such thing as a solid DSA set, those key caps are manufactured with thin walls, that makes them light and hollow, even weak, but by no means solid.

arent the abs DSA sets thick enough for you sir?

For pbt DSA, they are too thin for my taste. But they sure look awesome :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 22:46:44 »

solid, a good DSA set?  :thumb:

arent the abs DSA sets thick enough for you sir?

For pbt DSA, they are too thin for my taste. But they sure look awesome :D

I think DSA is the same thickness in both materials, isn't? The look is good though, but I really do not need key caps to stare at them.  :))

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 04:15:43 »
I think DSA is the same thickness in both materials, isn't? The look is good though, but I really do not need key caps to stare at them.  :))

I dont think so. I have an SA sample cap and its quite decent compared to PBT DSA.

hope someone can shed some light as to how thick/thin ABS DSA are.  :))

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 07:24:23 »

I dont think so. I have an SA sample cap and its quite decent compared to PBT DSA.

Are you comparing SA with DSA? They are different profiles and they are produced with different molds, they are really not related, I had DSA key caps in both materials and they seem very similar in thickness, ...

I had this set, an Skull Squadron in ABS DSA and the key caps were exactly the same thickness as the Granite, that I also had.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 07:54:49 »

Are you comparing SA with DSA? They are different profiles and they are produced with different molds, they are really not related, I had DSA key caps in both materials and they seem very similar in thickness, ...

I had this set, an Skull Squadron in ABS DSA and the key caps were exactly the same thickness as the Granite, that I also had.

Show Image

Show Image

awe thanks!

I almost forgot, i already saw some DSA abs comparison with this pic trev sent me

This is just sad. :(

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 08:49:35 »
I love that called cherry profile or old triumph alder cherry
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 00:25:37 »
I love that called cherry profile or old triumph alder cherry

There are new Triumph Alder keysets made by GMK with the same old cherry profile  :thumb:

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 06:31:58 »
I love looking at SA and DSA sets, but for typing nothing really beats Cherry profile
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Grimspoon

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 16:03:41 »
My vote goes to DSA. Been using a JD45 with DSA for a few weeks as my daily driver, replacing a full size Ducky Shine 3. I don't think I ever wanna go back.

Offline zslane

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 18:24:20 »
My vote goes to DSA. Been using a JD45 with DSA for a few weeks as my daily driver, replacing a full size Ducky Shine 3. I don't think I ever wanna go back.

You must not do any computer programming then...

Offline boTy

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 12:51:25 »
So far, probably Cherry/GMK profile. I've got Blank PBT keycaps in Cherry profile on my KC60, and they're awesome.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 01:08:54 »
I LOVE SA! i would love to try DSA one day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 04:59:46 »
So far, probably Cherry/GMK profile. I've got Blank PBT keycaps in Cherry profile on my KC60, and they're awesome.

Yeah, as far as im concerned Cherry profile caps especially GMK's are the bomb but i havent actually tried/tested/compared those with PBT or other ABS keycaps, but i definitely need a set, you could check out the [IC] i have on my signature :D

Do you have SA keycaps? they look pretty awesome to me on any angle and they actually feel pretty solid compared to thicker PBT caps, but unfortunately they are a bit too tall/high for my preference.

I do however have DSA caps which looks nice (spherical like SA) and feel nice (PBT Granite) but are significantly thin compared to any other keycap out there. Well as I've read from SP's FAQs, it is because at that time when they were making the molds for DSA/SA keysets they wanted to decrease cost by making the walls of the caps thinner but doesnt affect the overall structure of the keycap.  :thumb:

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:04:06 »

Yeah, as far as im concerned Cherry profile caps especially GMK's are the bomb but i havent actually tried/tested/compared those with PBT or other ABS keycaps, but i definitely need a set, you could check out the [IC] i have on my signature :D

Do you have SA keycaps? they look pretty awesome to me on any angle and they actually feel pretty solid compared to thicker PBT caps, but unfortunately they are a bit too tall/high for my preference.

I do however have DSA caps which looks nice (spherical like SA) and feel nice (PBT Granite) but are significantly thin compared to any other keycap out there. Well as I've read from SP's FAQs, it is because at that time when they were making the molds for DSA/SA keysets they wanted to decrease cost by making the walls of the caps thinner but doesnt affect the overall structure of the keycap.  :thumb:

Currently am typing on the board in my sig (1976). Sadly not True SA (I sold my Pulse set to pay for the build :p) but am trying to save up to get in on godspeed. Sidenote, anyone know if I can get some of those "replica" Mito artisans?

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:30:10 »

Currently am typing on the board in my sig (1976). Sadly not True SA (I sold my Pulse set to pay for the build :p) but am trying to save up to get in on godspeed. Sidenote, anyone know if I can get some of those "replica" Mito artisans?

You sold your pulse set? But why? haha!

Mito's new set looks great but it doesnt really appeal to me because of the SA profile :D goodluck looking for those mate  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:52:07 by potatobot »

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:50:46 »

You sold some your pulse set? But why? haha!

Mito's new set looks great but it doesnt really appeal to me because of the SA profile :D goodluck looking for those mate  :thumb:

Tex alu Blue case, LeandreN HHKB plate, BFACE PCB and 1976 all paid for by ONE keyset? Worth. It.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:53:52 »

Tex alu Blue case, LeandreN HHKB plate, BFACE PCB and 1976 all paid for by ONE keyset? Worth. It.

awww thats a pretty sweet deal you got there :D

I still want to own/try an entire SA keyset tho, hopefully soon  :thumb:

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 06:12:19 »

awww thats a pretty sweet deal you got there :D

I still want to own/try an entire SA keyset tho, hopefully soon  :thumb:

The trick is to sell where people sort of know what they want, but are both impatient and impulsive. for example,

PULSE DROPPED??? EVERYONE IS POSTING THEIR PICTURES AND I NEEED IT!

TO EBAY!!

thats basically how i made the easiest $300ish ever

Offline greenteei89

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 10:26:41 »
I would say either uniform sa or cherry at the moment.

Offline Ashlyn

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 15:02:37 »
I like cherry style , and thick one

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 16:57:32 »
Cherry ABS and OEM (Ducky) PBT are solid all-around choices for me.

SA is great for typing but the high profile didn't work so well for playing WoW.

DSA ABS wasn't bad as a profile but the texture was a bit annoying.  Might try PBT DSA in the future, though my wife's already getting annoyed with the number of sets I've got.

I would love a sculptured spherical set that remains thick but isn't so high profile like SA to try out.  Might end up being a great combination of DSA and SA things that I like.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:01:08 »

Its been awhile since i posted here coz i was held up doing my IC on GMK black lotus...

What are your thoughts on the typewriter keycaps? What profile are those in? Uniform OEMs?

SA is great for typing but the high profile didn't work so well for playing WoW.

DSA ABS wasn't bad as a profile but the texture was a bit annoying.  Might try PBT DSA in the future, though my wife's already getting annoyed with the number of sets I've got.

I would love a sculptured spherical set that remains thick but isn't so high profile like SA to try out.  Might end up being a great combination of DSA and SA things that I like.

Uniform r3 SA seems interesting.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:18:40 »
SA keycaps are made for keypunch machines.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:34:43 »

Show Image

Those must have had stiff switches.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:36:08 »

Show Image

What about TTY?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:39:31 »

Show Image

What about TTY?

Show Image

Wow! This would be the first 40% keyboard, with no other choice in key caps but SA.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:41:43 »

Show Image

What about TTY?

Show Image

Wow! This would be the first 40% keyboard, with no other choice in key caps but SA.

Thats awesome! :))

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 17:28:21 »

Its been awhile since i posted here coz i was held up doing my IC on GMK black lotus...

What are your thoughts on the typewriter keycaps? What profile are those in? Uniform OEMs?

Uniform r3 SA seems interesting.

Uniform SA still has the height issues of SA.  What I'm thinking is more sculptured DSA.

Offline zslane

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 17:31:03 »
I think a sculptured DSA would be nifty.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 17:38:38 »
It seemed interesting to me as a possibility.  Though, if we're designing it from scratch, I'd want a thicker cap than current DSA caps.  Perhaps SA level thickness. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 18:07:47 »
The outer shells of DSA and SA are virtually identical (I'm comparing my Granite ESC key with my Round 4 SPH ESCAPE key). Of course, all that extra plastic from a double-shot legend will give a keycap more heft, so if you're comparing dyesub DSA to double-shot SA, you're comparing apples and oranges, in a way.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 18:36:51 »
I still firmly believe in cylindrical profiles. I really like DCS on alu cases. It's got a nice sound to it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #150 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 18:45:58 »
The outer shells of DSA and SA are virtually identical (I'm comparing my Granite ESC key with my Round 4 SPH ESCAPE key). Of course, all that extra plastic from a double-shot legend will give a keycap more heft, so if you're comparing dyesub DSA to double-shot SA, you're comparing apples and oranges, in a way.

I've only got doubleshot caps for both DSA and SA.  I was more comparing the side walls of the two with SA being a bit thicker. 

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 19:36:35 »
cherry > topre oem > thick dcs

Cherry is currently number 1 for me but in pbt rather than abs from gmk. Topre oem is only used on my hhkb but still feels better than dcs even if it happens to be thick dcs
I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I'm good at it

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 19:36:42 »

I've only got doubleshot caps for both DSA and SA.  I was more comparing the side walls of the two with SA being a bit thicker.

Sculpted DSA would be awesome! Make it happen!

I don't really get why they still use the old molds.

Offline zslane

« Reply #153 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 20:06:43 »

New molds are about $6000 each, IIRC. Multiply that by each size you'd want in each of the two new row profiles and that's SP's up-front cost. Someone would have to find a way to convince them that there would be enough demand for sculpted DSA to warrant that capital expense.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 22:45:24 »

New molds are about $6000 each, IIRC. Multiply that by each size you'd want in each of the two new row profiles and that's SP's up-front cost. Someone would have to find a way to convince them that there would be enough demand for sculpted DSA to warrant that capital expense.

:eek: thats crazy high.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 16:02:40 »
It's steel molds, most likely, so not all that surprising.  In looking into thermal injection for caps and toy making possibilities, it's often mentioned that steel molds are a big cost.  It's why companies like Lego store them in temperature-controlled environments.

What I'm wondering is how well SP would handle someone just forking out $$ to get new molds made with their own profile design?  Of course, being at that point, willing to throw down tens of thousands like that is quite another story.

Offline zslane

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 16:10:06 »
It is my understanding that SP has always refused to allow others to directly pay for molds. Consequently, they only have molds made for keycaps they intend to produce on their own over the long-term.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 16:37:46 »
That's a shame.  Sounds like we would need to find another party interested in producing the caps based on provided molds.  Not that such a thing is likely to happen but, hey, there's always the chance that I strike it rich and tens of thousands for keycap molds isn't a huge deal.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 16:41:13 »
Problem of course being that provided molds would be pricy.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline zslane

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 18:17:03 »
Maybe try to convince Devlin to make their K series sculptured?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 20:43:45 »
Maybe try to convince Devlin to make their K series sculptured?

Would also require new molds.

They're not just gonna throw out the ones they already have.

Offline zslane

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 20:58:14 »
The K series is a "uniform row 3" keyset just like DSA, right? If so, they wouldn't have to throw away anything. They would just add row 1 and row 2 molds to the row 3 molds they already have (and use row 2 for row 4 like SA does if they want to save some money).

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 21:00:54 »
I would love that.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 21:32:05 »
The K series is a "uniform row 3" keyset just like DSA, right? If so, they wouldn't have to throw away anything. They would just add row 1 and row 2 molds to the row 3 molds they already have (and use row 2 for row 4 like SA does if they want to save some money).

3 new molds would cost between $15000 and $20000, all to appeal to some enthusiasts while Devlin makes a penny for every keycap they churn out.

Not worth it from a business perspective.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 22:06:59 »

3 new molds would cost between $15000 and $20000, all to appeal to some enthusiasts while Devlin makes a penny for every keycap they churn out.

The community could donate the amount for the molds, assuming we can trust him enough with that amount of cash.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 22:23:53 »

The community could donate the amount for the molds, assuming we can trust him enough with that amount of cash.

I really think you guys are reaching on this one.

If it happens, great, but I think it's really ambitious.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 00:28:19 »
In theory, sure, the community could raise the money though the profits of various other group buys or something of that nature.  We'd also need Devlin willing to go along with it or some other manufacturer willing to take this on from scratch.  It's possible but it's a fair number of variables to work through for a small hobby community.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 03:27:18 »
We can dream cant we?  :thumb:

Offline zslane

« Reply #168 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 13:33:34 »

3 new molds...

I take it you don't like the idea of using row 2 molds for row 4 as well?

I wonder if a Kickstarter campaign could raise the necessary funds...

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 18:42:31 »
A Kickstarter campaign would be an interesting possibility for a known manufacturer.  The question is then if Devlin or some other cap maker is up for it.  Just imagine GMK with that kind of profile.  It would open them up to the spherical crowd.

Okay, that's a pretty big dream sequence right there.  Back to reality.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 18:50:04 »
A Kickstarter campaign would be an interesting possibility for a known manufacturer.  The question is then if Devlin or some other cap maker is up for it.  Just imagine GMK with that kind of profile.  It would open them up to the spherical crowd.

Oh god, don't even mention that.

We'd never have another cylindrical GB ever again. How would I buy new keycaps?

3 new molds...

I take it you don't like the idea of using row 2 molds for row 4 as well?

I wonder if a Kickstarter campaign could raise the necessary funds...

Probably could. Considering that we have 150 set GMK GBs, it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 23:10:05 »

Oh god, don't even mention that.

We'd never have another cylindrical GB ever again. How would I buy new keycaps?

I think we'd still get the Cherry profile people running buys.  Though that might diminish the number a bit with all the push for spherical caps.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #172 on: Sun, 30 October 2016, 13:37:59 »
As of late I have found myself gravitating back to OEM PBT, Though I still have a DCS ABS set and Cherry PBT set on deck should my tastes change again.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 31 October 2016, 13:30:33 »
I'd love to see some better color options for PBT sets.  I've yet to see anything that really caught my interest enough to want to both spend money on them and receive crap from my wife for buying them.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 10:18:54 »
I'd love to see some better color options for PBT sets.  I've yet to see anything that really caught my interest enough to want to both spend money on them and receive crap from my wife for buying them.

PBT colors just dont stand out that much compared to ABS.

I was hoping for more colors for SA uniform r3 sets.

Offline zslane

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 12:33:29 »
I wonder if part of that perception is the fact that the dyesub process can only imprint legends that are darker than the shell color. There's no way to have a bright shell and an even brighter legend, thus giving dyesub PBT keycaps a bit of a dim appearance by comparison.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #176 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 17:02:04 »
There's one Chinese company that's dyesubbing the cap and leaving the legend untouched, though their efforts still need a bit more work.

http://imgur.com/a/qG0UU

As for PBT, SP offers a pretty decent range of colors.  It's more that those offering doubleshot PBT sets aren't offering a lot of colors. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #177 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 17:21:20 »
There's one Chinese company that's dyesubbing the cap and leaving the legend untouched, though their efforts still need a bit more work.

As for PBT, SP offers a pretty decent range of colors.  It's more that those offering doubleshot PBT sets aren't offering a lot of colors.

That negative dyesub process holds a lot of promise. There will be issues of color consistency when keycaps are a single solid color (not counting the legend graphics), but if they can conquer that, it could open up a whole new range of creative possibilities.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 17:25:16 »

That negative dyesub process holds a lot of promise. There will be issues of color consistency when keycaps are a single solid color (not counting the legend graphics), but if they can conquer that, it could open up a whole new range of creative possibilities.

Oh definitely.  I was rather excited by the prospect of the negative dyesub.  Hopefully either this or another company can improve color consistency more.  More color options for PBT caps would be fantastic.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #179 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 00:44:15 »
Any thoughts on those PBT spherical keycaps from china with dyesub

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #180 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 02:28:28 »
I think I want to try them out.

Offline slot demon

« Reply #181 on: Wed, 09 November 2016, 03:56:51 »
I like at most cherry profile (abs), but I hope to try out in the near future Devlin Q series keycaps.