Author Topic: What keycap Profile do you prefer the most?  (Read 79191 times)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
Re: What keycap Profile do you prefer the most?
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 01:31:55 »
What about incline on a keyboard with DSA?  My board is on a negative incline (highest at the space bar) as I've got the front sitting on a wrist rest.  With OEM and SA, it seems pretty good.  Curious to see how that's going to go with something flat like DSA.

Its just weird for me, im not sure how to explain it but ill show some pictures

SA (sculpted) inclined :

DSA inclined:

i hope you get my point.

Offline lovechan

• one for all,all for one,I'm lovechan,doing better.
    • HLZZ Keycaps
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 23:36:50 »
 I like  the cherry   and  oem   .^_^

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 06:55:53 »
Rage. So much rage right now :))
Chris Schammert

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 12:22:34 »
Rage. So much rage right now :))

Sup? :))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 13:18:07 »
I like cherry most. Don't like SA or DSA, it's a pity as many beautiful keysets are in SA profile.

All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 13:34:10 »
I like cherry most. Don't like SA or DSA, it's a pity as many beautiful keysets are in SA profile.

See about running them as GMK runs?  The colors would either differ or need to be custom, though.

Offline B1G_B1RD

• * Maker
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 16:17:36 »
I think that i type most efficiently on DSA and like the look of the low profile. For just casual typing i enjoy SA because of how smooth they are. I will be getting some GMK caps next month and i have a feeling i will like the cherry profile the most.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 03:05:06 »
I think that i type most efficiently on DSA and like the look of the low profile. For just casual typing i enjoy SA because of how smooth they are. I will be getting some GMK caps next month and i have a feeling i will like the cherry profile the most.

Im still waiting for the end game GMK cherry profile keyset to happen tho, i bet they are going to be awesome coming from DSA granite.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 19:55:16 »
Now that I'm gaming on my PC again rather heavily and using the numbers + WASD cluster, I'm starting to wonder what profile I'll prefer.  I've got the DSA caps but have yet to put them on.  The kids wanted to do it with me and we just haven't had time to do so.  Then I've got GMK caps coming in with the Skeletor buy.

Right now I've been gaming with the SA caps and I'll admit it's taken some getting used to even after I was used to typing on them and doing a bit of gaming for a while playing Dishonored + Xpacs not too long ago.

Should be interesting to test through them all.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 21:36:30 »
Now that I'm gaming on my PC again rather heavily and using the numbers + WASD cluster, I'm starting to wonder what profile I'll prefer.  I've got the DSA caps but have yet to put them on.  The kids wanted to do it with me and we just haven't had time to do so.  Then I've got GMK caps coming in with the Skeletor buy.

Right now I've been gaming with the SA caps and I'll admit it's taken some getting used to even after I was used to typing on them and doing a bit of gaming for a while playing Dishonored + Xpacs not too long ago.

Hope to hear from you soon about that, still waiting for the gmk plum GB

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 23:03:06 »

Hope to hear from you soon about that, still waiting for the gmk plum GB

I'm also looking forward to those comparisons.  I'll try to get Hana on my keyboard this weekend to try out DSA for a while.  GMK Skeletor is due in October so I'll be able to run through that as well. 

The one thing about SA and gaming that's throwing me off is the negative tilt I've got on my board.  That combined with the tall caps and playing WoW, I'm spamming the number row constantly with need to move from 1 through 6 on a regular basis and 7 a bit as well.  The extra height throws me off for those types of movements while also trying to move with the WASD cluster.  It felt better last night than the night before so it's an adjustment. 

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 23:29:19 »
Well, I finally settled down and put Hana on my board to try out DSA.  Initial thoughts, though no game testing yet, is that I like the physical profile but am not so hot on the texture.  About to fire up WoW so we'll see how button mashing goes.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 03:03:59 »
Quick follow-up.  When gaming, DSA caps have been pretty solid.  I don't notice the texture quite so much and the height reduction is welcomed for lots of button mashing while gaming.  I'll probably just keep these on until Skeletor comes along and see how those go.

I think SA would probably be fine were my desk lower.  I'll eventually have to work on getting a better setup.

Offline zslane

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 12:26:44 »
...am not so hot on the texture.

That's interesting. The texture of PBT keycaps is half the reason ppl around here go gaga for them.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 13 September 2016, 19:33:00 »
...am not so hot on the texture.

That's interesting. The texture of PBT keycaps is half the reason ppl around here go gaga for them.

I believe Hana caps are ABS caps, not PBT.  I do like the PBT caps I got with my Ducky and am looking forward to trying more PBT sets.

Offline silaz

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:25:05 »
So far I like Cherry and Topre's (which I believe are similar to Cherry's). I have yet to try DSA since I new to the community, but slowly trying to find a solid DSA set.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:28:11 »
So far I like Cherry and Topre's (which I believe are similar to Cherry's). I have yet to try DSA since I new to the community, but slowly trying to find a solid DSA set.

If you meant solid literally, I am afraid that I have to report to you that there is no such thing as a solid DSA set, those key caps are manufactured with thin walls, that makes them light and hollow, even weak, but by no means solid.

Offline zslane

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 21:48:40 »
He couldn't have meant solid literally. No keycap is completely solid.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 22:38:40 »

solid, a good DSA set?  :thumb:

If you meant solid literally, I am afraid that I have to report to you that there is no such thing as a solid DSA set, those key caps are manufactured with thin walls, that makes them light and hollow, even weak, but by no means solid.

arent the abs DSA sets thick enough for you sir?

For pbt DSA, they are too thin for my taste. But they sure look awesome :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 22:46:44 »

solid, a good DSA set?  :thumb:

arent the abs DSA sets thick enough for you sir?

For pbt DSA, they are too thin for my taste. But they sure look awesome :D

I think DSA is the same thickness in both materials, isn't? The look is good though, but I really do not need key caps to stare at them.  :))

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 04:15:43 »
I think DSA is the same thickness in both materials, isn't? The look is good though, but I really do not need key caps to stare at them.  :))

I dont think so. I have an SA sample cap and its quite decent compared to PBT DSA.

hope someone can shed some light as to how thick/thin ABS DSA are.  :))

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 07:24:23 »

I dont think so. I have an SA sample cap and its quite decent compared to PBT DSA.

Are you comparing SA with DSA? They are different profiles and they are produced with different molds, they are really not related, I had DSA key caps in both materials and they seem very similar in thickness, ...

I had this set, an Skull Squadron in ABS DSA and the key caps were exactly the same thickness as the Granite, that I also had.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 07:54:49 »

Are you comparing SA with DSA? They are different profiles and they are produced with different molds, they are really not related, I had DSA key caps in both materials and they seem very similar in thickness, ...

I had this set, an Skull Squadron in ABS DSA and the key caps were exactly the same thickness as the Granite, that I also had.

Show Image

Show Image

awe thanks!

I almost forgot, i already saw some DSA abs comparison with this pic trev sent me

This is just sad. :(

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 19 September 2016, 08:49:35 »
I love that called cherry profile or old triumph alder cherry
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 00:25:37 »
I love that called cherry profile or old triumph alder cherry

There are new Triumph Alder keysets made by GMK with the same old cherry profile  :thumb:

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 06:31:58 »
I love looking at SA and DSA sets, but for typing nothing really beats Cherry profile
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Grimspoon

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 16:03:41 »
My vote goes to DSA. Been using a JD45 with DSA for a few weeks as my daily driver, replacing a full size Ducky Shine 3. I don't think I ever wanna go back.

Offline zslane

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 18:24:20 »
My vote goes to DSA. Been using a JD45 with DSA for a few weeks as my daily driver, replacing a full size Ducky Shine 3. I don't think I ever wanna go back.

You must not do any computer programming then...

Offline boTy

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 12:51:25 »
So far, probably Cherry/GMK profile. I've got Blank PBT keycaps in Cherry profile on my KC60, and they're awesome.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 01:08:54 »
I LOVE SA! i would love to try DSA one day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 04:59:46 »
So far, probably Cherry/GMK profile. I've got Blank PBT keycaps in Cherry profile on my KC60, and they're awesome.

Yeah, as far as im concerned Cherry profile caps especially GMK's are the bomb but i havent actually tried/tested/compared those with PBT or other ABS keycaps, but i definitely need a set, you could check out the [IC] i have on my signature :D

Do you have SA keycaps? they look pretty awesome to me on any angle and they actually feel pretty solid compared to thicker PBT caps, but unfortunately they are a bit too tall/high for my preference.

I do however have DSA caps which looks nice (spherical like SA) and feel nice (PBT Granite) but are significantly thin compared to any other keycap out there. Well as I've read from SP's FAQs, it is because at that time when they were making the molds for DSA/SA keysets they wanted to decrease cost by making the walls of the caps thinner but doesnt affect the overall structure of the keycap.  :thumb:

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:04:06 »

Yeah, as far as im concerned Cherry profile caps especially GMK's are the bomb but i havent actually tried/tested/compared those with PBT or other ABS keycaps, but i definitely need a set, you could check out the [IC] i have on my signature :D

Do you have SA keycaps? they look pretty awesome to me on any angle and they actually feel pretty solid compared to thicker PBT caps, but unfortunately they are a bit too tall/high for my preference.

I do however have DSA caps which looks nice (spherical like SA) and feel nice (PBT Granite) but are significantly thin compared to any other keycap out there. Well as I've read from SP's FAQs, it is because at that time when they were making the molds for DSA/SA keysets they wanted to decrease cost by making the walls of the caps thinner but doesnt affect the overall structure of the keycap.  :thumb:

Currently am typing on the board in my sig (1976). Sadly not True SA (I sold my Pulse set to pay for the build :p) but am trying to save up to get in on godspeed. Sidenote, anyone know if I can get some of those "replica" Mito artisans?

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:30:10 »

Currently am typing on the board in my sig (1976). Sadly not True SA (I sold my Pulse set to pay for the build :p) but am trying to save up to get in on godspeed. Sidenote, anyone know if I can get some of those "replica" Mito artisans?

You sold your pulse set? But why? haha!

Mito's new set looks great but it doesnt really appeal to me because of the SA profile :D goodluck looking for those mate  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:52:07 by potatobot »

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:50:46 »

You sold some your pulse set? But why? haha!

Mito's new set looks great but it doesnt really appeal to me because of the SA profile :D goodluck looking for those mate  :thumb:

Tex alu Blue case, LeandreN HHKB plate, BFACE PCB and 1976 all paid for by ONE keyset? Worth. It.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 05:53:52 »

Tex alu Blue case, LeandreN HHKB plate, BFACE PCB and 1976 all paid for by ONE keyset? Worth. It.

awww thats a pretty sweet deal you got there :D

I still want to own/try an entire SA keyset tho, hopefully soon  :thumb:

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 06:12:19 »

awww thats a pretty sweet deal you got there :D

I still want to own/try an entire SA keyset tho, hopefully soon  :thumb:

The trick is to sell where people sort of know what they want, but are both impatient and impulsive. for example,

PULSE DROPPED??? EVERYONE IS POSTING THEIR PICTURES AND I NEEED IT!

TO EBAY!!

thats basically how i made the easiest $300ish ever

Offline greenteei89

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 10:26:41 »
I would say either uniform sa or cherry at the moment.

Offline Ashlyn

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 15:02:37 »
I like cherry style , and thick one

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 16:57:32 »
Cherry ABS and OEM (Ducky) PBT are solid all-around choices for me.

SA is great for typing but the high profile didn't work so well for playing WoW.

DSA ABS wasn't bad as a profile but the texture was a bit annoying.  Might try PBT DSA in the future, though my wife's already getting annoyed with the number of sets I've got.

I would love a sculptured spherical set that remains thick but isn't so high profile like SA to try out.  Might end up being a great combination of DSA and SA things that I like.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
What keycap Profile do you prefer the most?
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:01:08 »

Its been awhile since i posted here coz i was held up doing my IC on GMK black lotus...

What are your thoughts on the typewriter keycaps? What profile are those in? Uniform OEMs?

SA is great for typing but the high profile didn't work so well for playing WoW.

DSA ABS wasn't bad as a profile but the texture was a bit annoying.  Might try PBT DSA in the future, though my wife's already getting annoyed with the number of sets I've got.

I would love a sculptured spherical set that remains thick but isn't so high profile like SA to try out.  Might end up being a great combination of DSA and SA things that I like.

Uniform r3 SA seems interesting.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:18:40 »
SA keycaps are made for keypunch machines.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:34:43 »

Show Image

Those must have had stiff switches.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:36:08 »

Show Image

What about TTY?

Chris Schammert

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:39:31 »

Show Image

What about TTY?

Show Image

Wow! This would be the first 40% keyboard, with no other choice in key caps but SA.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 11:41:43 »

Show Image

What about TTY?

Show Image

Wow! This would be the first 40% keyboard, with no other choice in key caps but SA.

Thats awesome! :))

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 17:28:21 »

Its been awhile since i posted here coz i was held up doing my IC on GMK black lotus...

What are your thoughts on the typewriter keycaps? What profile are those in? Uniform OEMs?

Uniform r3 SA seems interesting.

Uniform SA still has the height issues of SA.  What I'm thinking is more sculptured DSA.

Offline zslane

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 17:31:03 »
I think a sculptured DSA would be nifty.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 17:38:38 »
It seemed interesting to me as a possibility.  Though, if we're designing it from scratch, I'd want a thicker cap than current DSA caps.  Perhaps SA level thickness. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 18:07:47 »
The outer shells of DSA and SA are virtually identical (I'm comparing my Granite ESC key with my Round 4 SPH ESCAPE key). Of course, all that extra plastic from a double-shot legend will give a keycap more heft, so if you're comparing dyesub DSA to double-shot SA, you're comparing apples and oranges, in a way.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 18:36:51 »
I still firmly believe in cylindrical profiles. I really like DCS on alu cases. It's got a nice sound to it.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90