Author Topic: How does one go about getting a custom keycap set made?  (Read 4667 times)

Offline jjanssen1

How does one go about getting a custom keycap set made?
« on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 05:08:13 »
Hey GK,
I am interested in maybe getting a custom keycap set made by Signarture Plastics, but I would like to know how I would go about this (designing, interest checks, costs, group buys etc...)
Thanks
-Joshua
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
Re: How does one go about getting a custom keycap set made?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 05:30:50 »
First off you can go about ordering a keyring chip sample from SP of all of the different colors they have to offer. This will let you see in person the different colors and give you a better idea of what colors you actually would like to use. Next you can go to KLE and play around with the colors you selected to get an idea of what will mesh well together; KLE has SP and GMK colors to select from. Depending on the colors and material you have selected it can limit what you do. SP does not offer doubleshot PBT but does offer doubleshot ABS; more details about what color codes are each material would be able to be found on SP's website.

Once you have the set designed you can open up an IC for people to see it. It is very crucial to make a set that others will like if you want to see it go into production; I have never heard of them producing a one off set and if they did it would be super pricey. If the interest is there in the set you can contact SP about possible production and they will be able to give you a quote based on the interest; the more people the less expensive. The one down fall with SP is the wait time do to production of other keycap sets.

After receiving a quote you can discuss your options to handle the GB; you may choose to do it independently or contact a site to handle it such as Massdrop. The benefit to using a site would be more publicity and much easier to hit MOQ; the required minimum amount of sets for SP to agree to make it. If handling it independently hitting MOQ may be a bit difficult especially if you are not advertising it fairly aggressively, but there is always a chance you design a kickass set that everyone loves and that would make it easy.

Good luck in your endeavor! Maybe I will be buying your set one day. :p

P.S. Anyone who has done it before, correct me if I'm wrong or have forgot something.

« Last Edit: Tue, 20 September 2016, 05:50:16 by Fictiouz »
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 06:07:14 »
First off you can go about ordering a keyring chip sample from SP of all of the different colors they have to offer. This will let you see in person the different colors and give you a better idea of what colors you actually would like to use. Next you can go to KLE and play around with the colors you selected to get an idea of what will mesh well together; KLE has SP and GMK colors to select from. Depending on the colors and material you have selected it can limit what you do. SP does not offer doubleshot PBT but does offer doubleshot ABS; more details about what color codes are each material would be able to be found on SP's website.

Once you have the set designed you can open up an IC for people to see it. It is very crucial to make a set that others will like if you want to see it go into production; I have never heard of them producing a one off set and if they did it would be super pricey. If the interest is there in the set you can contact SP about possible production and they will be able to give you a quote based on the interest; the more people the less expensive. The one down fall with SP is the wait time do to production of other keycap sets.

After receiving a quote you can discuss your options to handle the GB; you may choose to do it independently or contact a site to handle it such as Massdrop. The benefit to using a site would be more publicity and much easier to hit MOQ; the required minimum amount of sets for SP to agree to make it. If handling it independently hitting MOQ may be a bit difficult especially if you are not advertising it fairly aggressively, but there is always a chance you design a kickass set that everyone loves and that would make it easy.

Good luck in your endeavor! Maybe I will be buying your set one day. :p

P.S. Anyone who has done it before, correct me if I'm wrong or have forgot something.

Thanks for your help  :thumb:,
Just one question,
Does SP do custom fonts on their double-shot ABS caps?
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 06:19:41 »
Thanks for your help  :thumb:,
Just one question,
Does SP do custom fonts on their double-shot ABS caps?
Judging by SA Commando and Sanctuary DCS I will say yes, but I don't know if there is a selection to pick from or if they can handle whatever font you supply. The best thing would be to shoot an email to SP to ask them :)
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 11:04:10 »
IIRC, a one off set can cost upwards somewhere in the ballpark of 700-800
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline Arallu

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 11:21:09 »
As low as 10-15 can get per-unit prices to sub $200, depending on amount of keys, etc.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 13:14:10 »
SP can do other fonts.  If you're doing doubleshot, there's costs associated with that as they have to make new molds for all the keys using the new font.  It will add to the cost.  A popular group buy should be able to handle dissipating the cost among all the buyers.

If doing that, IIRC, you would need to supply all the vector files for the fonts in question so they can make the new molds.  Check the Space IC as the goal there was a set with a new font.  It may provide more insight into what's needed.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 September 2016, 16:46:21 »

Time to ball out and make my own set of keycaps
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 20:29:43 »

Just a quick design I came up with.

Thoughts?

-Joshua
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline keyladding

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 08:12:05 »
Post in IC subforum.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 08:21:33 »
ICs are so crucial! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jjanssen1

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 08:51:55 »
Post in IC subforum.

Just posted IC  :thumb:

-Joshua
IBM Model M 1386303

Offline keyladding

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 09:39:56 »
Good luck!

Offline jjanssen1

IBM Model M 1386303

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 02:36:52 »
Post in IC subforum.

Just posted IC  :thumb:

-Joshua

Good luck!! got a link?

Offline jjanssen1

IBM Model M 1386303