Author Topic: Unusual mini Unicomp Model M (98U0176), $24.99+shipping  (Read 8300 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Unusual mini Unicomp Model M (98U0176), $24.99+shipping
« on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 06:31:23 »
I've never seen one of these, have you? I can't find any reference to it anywhere. Could it possibly have buckling springs? The keys look big enough.

It has SDL and Ethernet connectors, too? Maybe a one-customer run for a custom system? I'm guessing it's a terminal board that won't work with a PC without some kind of conversion, if at all—but it's cheap enough that someone who's into oddball stuff may want to take a chance on it.

Unicomp Model M UNICOMP 98U0176 Keyboard

BIN $24.99 + shipping

« Last Edit: Sun, 14 October 2018, 06:33:20 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline JP

Re: Unusual mini Unicomp Model M (98U0176), $24.99+shipping
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 07:10:35 »
Also this keyboard definitely is rubber dome. Also it appears to be missing the SDL cable.

Here is mine.
205362-0
205364-1
205366-2

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 23:22:35 »
That is the "Mighty Mouse"
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Unicomp_Keyboards
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/12o5ej/the_ibm_m4_unicomp_mighty_mouse_and_ibm_m41_a/

Yeah, I saw that, and wondered if that might be what this was. However, it says (my emphasis):

Quote from: Deskthority
The Mighty Mouse is Unicomp's branding for the IBM Model M4 and M4-1 keyboards...

And you'll notice this board says "Model M", not "M4" or "M4-1":

Or maybe Unicomp didn't bother being more specific, as IBM or Lexmark would?

[Note: I've placed the next two images outside their quotes, as apparently GH won't let me re-attach the original images so they appear here rather than the words "Attachment Link"]

Also this keyboard definitely is rubber dome...

Are you sure? When I was trying to determine that, I found this 2011 GH thread where ch_123 posted:

The SpaceSaver is an IBM or a Unicomp?

As we all know, the IBM Spacesaver has rubber sleeve switches.

...and xwhatsit replied:

That's the IBM M4; Unicomp's Spacesaver is an old IBM Japan keyboard design but they've fitted it with standard M-style buckling springs...

Also it appears to be missing the SDL cable... Here is mine.

Yeah, but yours is a trackpoint. This one isn't, so it wouldn't need the special double cable—it'd be like any IBM board that'd need an SDL cable obtained elsewhere. Of course, whether that would get it working or not is unknown. (Again, what's the Ethernet port for, and is it mandatory?) And if it is rubber sleeve, not buckling spring, I doubt many people would care about it.

Anyway, you've got me on all that... I just posted this because I'd never seen one, it seemed cheap, and I thought someone here might be interested. I'm going to stop typing about it now, okay? Cheers!
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 October 2018, 23:35:25 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ed_avis

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 07:01:14 »
That's not an Ethernet port, it is to attach the optional numpad.

I believe IBM's term for this switch was "buckling rubber sleeve", which sounds vaguely prophylactic.

Offline ed_avis

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 08:54:46 »
The successor models to these were not branded "Model M" (or M4) but since neither has buckling springs, it may not make much difference.  There are a handful of UK-layout ones here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332840276653

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332840278507

I suspect these are still not the latest model -- and they do seem uglier than the old one.  But the trackpoint is probably superior.

Offline JP

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 09:33:04 »
It is a neat little keyboard unfortunately no buckling spring otherwise the demand would outstrip the supply and these would be insanely expensive. I bought mine to have as a small portable keyboard for travel but it is just ok to type on, the case is a little flimsy which can be expected. I believe the RJ45 port is for the optional keypad which I don't have. Also mine has a PS2 port which I can only assume you could plug a mouse into since the cable takes up two PS2 ports since there is a trackpad.

Offline ed_avis

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 03:25:36 »
Here's another of the original M4-1 trackpoint keyboards for sale in Britain: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283174989226
Though I think the seller meant 1994 not 1984.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 19:35:58 »
That's not an Ethernet port, it is to attach the optional numpad.

Ah, interesting... Thanks for pointing that out.

The successor models to these were not branded "Model M" (or M4)...

And yet, this one is. Go figure.

I suspect these are still not the latest model -- and they do seem uglier than the old one.  But the trackpoint is probably superior.

Well, considering peeps are willing to pay big bucks for stuff like this:

205526-2

...I don't think "ugly" is much of an issue.

Here's another of the original M4-1 trackpoint keyboards for sale in Britain... Though I think the seller meant 1994 not 1984.

Yeah, people often mistake the copyright date for the build date. Similarly, because our street address is 1894, people often think our split-level rancher was built in the Victorian era.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 17:03:04 »
While not a super typer, a neat find!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 04:43:21 »
Well, at the very least from a hey-you-don't-see-those-very-often viewpoint, right?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 08:51:24 »
Absolutely!  I'm sure if this one was bs, it would be one of the most sought after Unicomps ever made.

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 11:44:14 »
Yeah, people often mistake the copyright date for the build date. Similarly, because our street address is 1894, people often think our split-level rancher was built in the Victorian era.

Ugh!! Everybody knows that Canada wasn't discovered until the 1960s when Americans fled to this vast unknown little island to evade the draft during the Vietmom Wart.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 00:13:42 »
Ugh!! Everybody knows that Canada wasn't discovered until the 1960s when Americans fled to this vast unknown little island to evade the draft during the Vietmom Wart.

I'm American, for what it's worth—but for some reason my Canadian wife thought it'd be a good idea for us to live in the same country. :rolleyes:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 16:15:27 »

I'm American, for what it's worth—but for some reason my Canadian wife thought it'd be a good idea for us to live in the same country. :rolleyes:
Ah yes, for that convenience factor when we need to be reeled in...because who knows what we could get away with in a foreign country!  :eek:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 01:05:45 »
Ah yes, for that convenience factor when we need to be reeled in...because who knows what we could get away with in a foreign country!  :eek:

You've hit it on the head, my friend... Not that I'm imaginative to get into any real trouble, but still.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 02:13:24 »

You've hit it on the head, my friend... Not that I'm imaginative to get into any real trouble, but still.

I represent that mark as well.  :))

I think you and I would be 2 of the 3 in a strange keyboard joke..."So Samir and Ander are in a keyboard bar and in comes..."

Offline JP

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 09:13:29 »
Wait some said keyboard bar  ;D

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 03 November 2018, 10:33:49 »

I represent that mark as well.  :))

I think you and I would be 2 of the 3 in a strange keyboard joke..."So Samir and Ander are in a keyboard bar and in comes..."

"...JP and says, Hey I heard someone say keyboard bar!"  :))

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 02:53:25 »
It'd be funny to open a bar called The Spacebar. People would walk in expecting it to be all sci-fi, but it'd be full of MK geeks.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 04 November 2018, 04:40:03 »
It'd be funny to open a bar called The Spacebar. People would walk in expecting it to be all sci-fi, but it'd be full of MK geeks.

:)) Got a good laugh from the image of a bunch us in a dark bar just soldering & modding away at boards when some normies come walking in like "WTF is going on here!" LOL!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 23:33:26 »
:)) Got a good laugh from the image of a bunch us in a dark bar just soldering & modding away at boards when some normies come walking in like "WTF is going on here!" LOL!

Yep, that's pretty much what I pictured.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 00:57:27 »

Yep, that's pretty much what I pictured.

(Attachment Link)
:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

What gets me is if you look at their eyes, you can almost hear them say, 'so do you like that layout?' or 'what type of switches/plate did you use?'

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 08 November 2018, 16:39:54 »
What gets me is if you look at their eyes, you can almost hear them say, 'so do you like that layout?' or 'what type of switches/plate did you use?'

Except it'd sound like this:

⌇⍜ ⎅⍜ ⊬⍜⎍ ⌰⟟☍⟒ ⏁⊑⏃⏁ ?

⌰⏃⊬⍜⎍⏁ ⍜⍀ ⍙⊑⏃⏁ ⏁⊬⌿⟒ ⍜⎎ ⌇⍙⟟⏁☊⊑⟒⌇/⌿⌰⏃⏁⟒ ⎅⟟⎅ ⊬⍜⎍ ⎍⌇⟒ ?

(Thanks to the Alien Language Translator.)