Author Topic: What is your WPM?  (Read 129192 times)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: What is your WPM?
« Reply #550 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 21:05:43 »
WPM in 10FF just means is your ability to do the test - top 200 to 1000 most frequently used words in the english dictionary, alpha keys only, no numeric, no punctuation, no modifiers/toggles.

Improving at 10FF involves memorization, sight reading ability and muscle memory. Improvement in 10FF does not help me type faster in my job (paralegal). You will do better at 10FF by developing highly idiosyncratic technique for alpha keys only and you can see this on youtube by watching people do 200+ WPM. I saw a guy do 215 WPM using only index + middle finger + thumb on the left hand and index + middle finger on the right hand. I didn't think it was possible but it turns out it is. I saw another guy do 200 something WPM on a chiclet laptop keyboard and his technique was very unusual. It resembled chording, which I haven't seen anyone do on anything that isn't a steno.

On 10FF my peak WPM is 104 (average 95) over 228 tests (1 minute, top 200 words).  In reality my typing speed is much slower than that and more variable depending on how unusual and/or unfamiliar the words and phrases are but its in the region of 50 to 75 WPM. I don't know anyone who can type at conversation speed (200ish WPM) who doesn't shorthand.

Because of my improper typing i usually get a lot of mistakes.

Typing slowly helps with that. If you are trying to type fast, you make a lot of mistakes. Increasing accuracy actually makes it so that your wpm goes up, because you are getting less words wrong.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #551 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 09:26:20 »
WPM in 10FF just means is your ability to do the test - top 200 to 1000 most frequently used words in the english dictionary, alpha keys only, no numeric, no punctuation, no modifiers/toggles.

Improving at 10FF involves memorization, sight reading ability and muscle memory. Improvement in 10FF does not help me type faster in my job (paralegal). You will do better at 10FF by developing highly idiosyncratic technique for alpha keys only and you can see this on youtube by watching people do 200+ WPM. I saw a guy do 215 WPM using only index + middle finger + thumb on the left hand and index + middle finger on the right hand. I didn't think it was possible but it turns out it is. I saw another guy do 200 something WPM on a chiclet laptop keyboard and his technique was very unusual. It resembled chording, which I haven't seen anyone do on anything that isn't a steno.

On 10FF my peak WPM is 104 (average 95) over 228 tests (1 minute, top 200 words).  In reality my typing speed is much slower than that and more variable depending on how unusual and/or unfamiliar the words and phrases are but its in the region of 50 to 75 WPM. I don't know anyone who can type at conversation speed (200ish WPM) who doesn't shorthand.

Because of my improper typing i usually get a lot of mistakes.

Typing slowly helps with that. If you are trying to type fast, you make a lot of mistakes. Increasing accuracy actually makes it so that your wpm goes up, because you are getting less words wrong.

thanks for the advice

Offline breaker9691

« Reply #552 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 13:27:37 »
My best record was 202wpm, and never reach that again somehow
You guys should try keybr.com, they watch on your mistake and give you the test that will slowly improve it through time, and it's really goood (except the typing competitive is really bad)
they have track on your improvement progress, that good for you to watch which key is faster through time and which is not.

my best on keybr.com is 141wpm
my best on 10FF is 202wpm and 10FF give you so simple words that you can always typing so fast with it.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #553 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 21:39:05 »
You guys should try keybr.com, they watch on your mistake and give you the test that will slowly improve it through time, and it's really goood (except the typing competitive is really bad)
they have track on your improvement progress, that good for you to watch which key is faster through time and which is not.

my best on 10FF is 202wpm and 10FF give you so simple words that you can always typing so fast with it.

Thank you for telling me about keybr.com. I usually use typeracer because it adds punctuation, but I will give keybr a try.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #554 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 08:34:53 »

Show me 👀👀👀

« Reply #555 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 15:12:10 »
I use typings.gg to measure my speed and practice. For tying tests i average around 90 but i type much slower when i'm writing something.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #556 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 16:07:42 »
I use typings.gg to measure my speed and practice. For tying tests i average around 90 but i type much slower when i'm writing something.

The reason for that is because you need to take breaks to think about your writing. The human brain needs to compute things in processes, and switching between processes (for instance, each sentence you are writing), will take time to do. Also, it also takes time to think of something new; writing has a lot of this.

Offline Charlesxvi

« Reply #557 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 16:56:23 »

The reason for that is because you need to take breaks to think about your writing. The human brain needs to compute things in processes, and switching between processes (for instance, each sentence you are writing), will take time to do. Also, it also takes time to think of something new; writing has a lot of this.
It makes sense. My speed has increased a little lately. I'm averaging like 76-78 or so now and I was at about 65 a week or two ago

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #558 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 16:02:06 »

Usually its because you cannot think as fast as you type, which is normal

I won my first typing competition
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 March 2020, 11:50:29 by Sintpinty »