Author Topic: [IC] SP 'Brotherhood of Vaults' DSA ABS Doubleshot Key Set w/Fallout Novelties  (Read 4518 times)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Hello Everyone!

I know it has been a long time since I've done any keycaps. I swore I was done with Group Buys. While it is true I am no longer interested in doing Novelty Keycap Singles or sets, I am finally going to try one last go at doing something I've wanted for a long time: Danger Zone colors in DSA!

The initial plan is to do a one size, fits most set (no separate kits) which will include all current Fallout Novelty legends plus adding Vault 13 and Vault 101 to the mix to finish out the novelty molds.

If you'd like to see this sort of thing happen, please post your interested, ideas, and questions. As this Interest Check goes along, I plan to add renders once we solidify a layout to it.

My current ideas:

1. Complete set of DSA ABS Doubeshot keys in the Danger Zone colorway (thank you Data) with Fallout Novelty keys.

2. Complete set of DSA ABS keys in the Danger Zone colorway but in Blanks.

------
01.03.2020 - Initial Post
01.06.2020 - Changed Post title, entertaining the idea of mixing Cyberpunk 2077 neon yellow with Danger Zone colors.
01.13.2020 - Added title to this set, IC bump.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2020, 14:17:14 by 00zeRO »
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
Re: [IC] 'Title TBD' DSA Set Inspired by and ft. Data's Danger Zone Colorway
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 16:48:22 »
I'd be interested to see that happen, and I love the Danger Zone colorway, but I have some concerns regarding the colors.

I think that Danger Zone is an SA champion because the tall profile and wide areas of the keycaps truly show the contrast between blue, yellow and gray. I fear that doing it in a low profile might kill it's "danger vibe". That said, I think that you could go after some renders so we could have a preemptive idea of how that would turn out.

Second thing I'm worried is the doubleshot. Danger zone absolutely needs to be a doubleshot due to the needed vivid colors and contrast. DSA is a very versatile profile in the sense that there are both good dyesubs (DSA Elven, Granite, Alchemy...) and good doubleshot DSA's around (Deep Space, Hana, Dolch...) . As we know, however, doubleshot does tend to increase price a bit. Also as far as I know the only manufacturer around able to do doubleshot DSA is Signature Plastics, which has an immense waiting time and again tends to ramp prices up.

I think that your idea is amazing and I'd jump in in a heartbeat, but you will have to do some research and legwork to see its feasibility.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 January 2020, 16:52:29 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 17:55:31 »
I'd be interested to see that happen, and I love the Danger Zone colorway, but I have some concerns regarding the colors.

I think that Danger Zone is an SA champion because the tall profile and wide areas of the keycaps truly show the contrast between blue, yellow and gray. I fear that doing it in a low profile might kill it's "danger vibe". That said, I think that you could go after some renders so we could have a preemptive idea of how that would turn out.

Second thing I'm worried is the doubleshot. Danger zone absolutely needs to be a doubleshot due to the needed vivid colors and contrast. DSA is a very versatile profile in the sense that there are both good dyesubs (DSA Elven, Granite, Alchemy...) and good doubleshot DSA's around (Deep Space, Hana, Dolch...) . As we know, however, doubleshot does tend to increase price a bit. Also as far as I know the only manufacturer around able to do doubleshot DSA is Signature Plastics, which has an immense waiting time and again tends to ramp prices up.

I think that your idea is amazing and I'd jump in in a heartbeat, but you will have to do some research and legwork to see its feasibility.

Thanks for your comments.

I absolutely love Doubleshot ABS DSA as a profile, and while I wish the profile featured a slick feel like SA, I would love to make this dream key set a reality.

With regard to price, my plan is to provide as many common layouts I can for ISO and bottom row within reason and not to have this kit or that kit. I'd like to just sell a single, BIG set with all novelties included, whether with legends or blanks.

If there is not enough interest, this Group Buy simply will not happen. I am doing it all myself, along with harlw's help with renders/mock-ups, and thus will not be running anything with Drop.

With regard to time frame for production, Melissa at SP has assured me that the set will only take 6-8 weeks. I believe this is because ABS DSA is not as popular and likely will not have a backlog like SA sets would.

Again, your feedback and concerns are noted and very much appreciated Gondo

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 07:00:19 »

Thanks for your comments.

I absolutely love Doubleshot ABS DSA as a profile, and while I wish the profile featured a slick feel like SA, I would love to make this dream key set a reality.

With regard to price, my plan is to provide as many common layouts I can for ISO and bottom row within reason and not to have this kit or that kit. I'd like to just sell a single, BIG set with all novelties included, whether with legends or blanks.

If there is not enough interest, this Group Buy simply will not happen. I am doing it all myself, along with harlw's help with renders/mock-ups, and thus will not be running anything with Drop.

With regard to time frame for production, Melissa at SP has assured me that the set will only take 6-8 weeks. I believe this is because ABS DSA is not as popular and likely will not have a backlog like SA sets would.

Again, your feedback and concerns are noted and very much appreciated Gondo

Nice! Looking forward to it!
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Re: [IC] 'Title TBD' DSA ABS Set Insp. by Cyberpunk 2077
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 08:06:34 »
Okay, so what if we go with a Neon Yellow instead of Danger Zone Yellow (YY) and theme this toward the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 game?

Not going with neon yellow...
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2020, 14:02:27 by 00zeRO »

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 08:08:55 »
Okay, so what if we go with a Neon Yellow instead of Danger Zone Yellow (YY) and theme this toward the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 game?

I love the idea!

Put in some Neon Green and Pink and we are going for it!

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 08:37:33 »

I love the idea!

More colors = higher cost (likely)

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 08:56:59 »

I love the idea!

More colors = higher cost (likely)

At this point my wallet is long dead

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Re: [IC] SP DSA 'Always Be Running' ABS Doubleshots Inspired by Cyberpunk
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 12:02:23 »
IC Bump

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Settled on a Fallout theme for the set, come what may

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Interesting.  Would like to see a render with the neon yellow.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Interesting.  Would like to see a render with the neon yellow.

Not looking to Neon Yellow, changed my mind. I've gone back and edited the post...instead going to stick with Danger Zone YY for the yellow. Sorry.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Sounds good.  No point in changing a tested classic colorway  :thumb:

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Sounds good.  No point in changing a tested classic colorway  :thumb:

I also realized that color was already done in GMK Night Runner. As much as I would want to fit the set in some other genre or theme, the fact of the matter is this set has a whole slew of novelties which are Fallout, so this will be my Magnum Opus should I get enough support to make it.

Thanks for posting.  :cool: