Author Topic: [East Coast]Steezus's Keyboard Services  (Read 43101 times)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
[East Coast]Steezus's Keyboard Services
« on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 16:57:16 »
Steezus's Keyboard Services

Currently INACTIVE

Hello All,

Considering that I have an extreme passion for this community and that my time has been freed up immensely over the next year or so I am offering my services. I figured this would be a good opportunity as well since there does not seem to have anyone providing services on the East Coast. My home is in the Pittsburgh area so I am willing to schedule a meetup to save cost on shipping.

I work on keyboards Friday-Sunday, I generally like to finish builds the same weekend but there is always the chance that it could run into the following weekend.

I am able to do full assembly, desoldering, switch tuning, switch or LED swap, and repairs(depending on severity). My equipment currently includes a Aoyue 2703A+ Rework Station with variable tips and a spare SS-02 hand pump. I will accept the amount of orders that I am comfortable doing and then put others on a waiting list if for some reason I actually get that many offers. Pricing will all depend on the amount of work done, I am not looking into making a bunch of profit but rather to make just enough for my time. You can either supply all the components or order them to my place of living to say you one extra trip on shipping.

I first had a few years of experience in soldering copper tubes for drain lines when working in HVAC and then transitioned into electronic soldering working on clocks, controllers, keyboards, etc.

Some of my work:

Desoldered 3x Pok3rs and added LEDs
More

Built an RS96
More

Built a Duck Orion v2
More

Built a TGR-Jane including all SMD and Resistor work
More

Switch swapped a KMAC
More

Switch swapped a Duck Eagle
More

Built a b.87
More

Built another Orion v2
More

Indicator LEDs were added after taking these pictures.

Built a b.Mini
More

Noticed missing screw after taking picture, it was added but was too lazy to retake the shot. :p

Built a ZZ96
More

And many more.

All my personal, more-detailed build logs can be found in my signature below.

Disclaimer:
I am not a professional but I take pride in my work, although I have never made a mistake when working on a board there is always the slightest possibility that something could occur. With that being the case, I will do what it takes to compensate you for your troubles. I highly doubt that will ever occur but I have to type it here. I will not rush any orders and treat your items with the utmost care.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 November 2019, 10:15:03 by Steezus »
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
Re: [East Coast]Steezus's Keyboard Services
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:16:45 »
Thanks for approving this thread!

A little update: I should be having a Lightsaver v2(personal project) and an Orion v2 to work on soon. Will updated the thread with pictures. :thumb:

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:18:55 »
Ohhhh hell yeah, I'm east coast and was just inquiring into whether anyone offered services such as these on geekhack....i found some but they were not currently taking orders  :-X

thank goodness you are!! i'm sure to be a customer in the coming months  :thumb:
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:19:20 »
Awesome of you to do this Steezus! :D

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:27:25 »
Ohhhh hell yeah, I'm east coast and was just inquiring into whether anyone offered services such as these on geekhack....i found some but they were not currently taking orders  :-X

thank goodness you are!! i'm sure to be a customer in the coming months  :thumb:

Glad to help out where I can, living relatively close so help out a ton of shipping as well. ;)

Awesome of you to do this Steezus! :D

Thank you very much dgneo, I love to build boards and help people out here so it's a win-win for me. :p

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:31:49 »
If we have a board we want to have LED's put in would you be able to source all the parts needed and we just send our board?
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:35:34 »
Got an Orion for you sir,  will be filling out the form.

:thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:39:03 »
If we have a board we want to have LED's put in would you be able to source all the parts needed and we just send our board?

I do have some colors available at the moment(Pink, Sky Blue, Blue, and White). I can always try and buy more but if there isn't a color option that I have for you then to save cost on shipping I could order some and just add the price for the exact quantity of LEDs needed for the build. I can also toss in some spares as well just in case one happens to go bad. :thumb:

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 18:49:36 »
I could order some and just add the price for the exact quantity of LEDs needed for the build. I can also toss in some spares as well just in case one happens to go bad. :thumb:

Is why I will be using your service, would you be able to get stabilizers as well? I am in no rush, I can source the switches, as I will be looking for MX blacks, or maybe the Zealios switches... we'll see.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 19:05:37 »
I could order some and just add the price for the exact quantity of LEDs needed for the build. I can also toss in some spares as well just in case one happens to go bad. :thumb:

Is why I will be using your service, would you be able to get stabilizers as well? I am in no rush, I can source the switches, as I will be looking for MX blacks, or maybe the Zealios switches... we'll see.

I should be able to grab a fair bit of stabs for rather cheap, however if you'd like gold stabs that may be harder to get and more expensive.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 09:26:03 »
Oh man, someone closer than California and Canada!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 09:31:17 »

I do have some colors available at the moment(Pink, Sky Blue, Blue, and White). I can always try and buy more but if there isn't a color option that I have for you then to save cost on shipping I could order some and just add the price for the exact quantity of LEDs needed for the build. I can also toss in some spares as well just in case one happens to go bad. :thumb:

Awesome :) Do you also have switches?

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 09:41:37 »
So, lets say I ordered a b.87 un-assembled with only the minimum amount of soldering done and then ordered some 78g Zealios switches.  Would you be able to throw everything together along with maybe some LEDs?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline tuba section

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 11:05:55 »
This is amazing. As someone with a few upcoming builds who lives in Pittsburgh I couldn't be more happy about this. Thanks Steezus!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 11:20:15 »

Awesome :) Do you also have switches?

I currently do not have switches, that may be more difficult because it will all be preference for everyone and be more expensive to buy in bulk. I may look into stocking a fair bit of Zealios if I have the funds.

So, lets say I ordered a b.87 un-assembled with only the minimum amount of soldering done and then ordered some 78g Zealios switches.  Would you be able to throw everything together along with maybe some LEDs?

Yeap, I'll most likely need to stock more LEDs and sip sockets depending on the demand. It's basically as simple as you sending me the parts and I send you a working board. ;)

This is amazing. As someone with a few upcoming builds who lives in Pittsburgh I couldn't be more happy about this. Thanks Steezus!

No problem! I'm glad to see a local as well, definitely saves you on shipping. :D

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 11:33:56 »

Yeap, I'll most likely need to stock more LEDs and sip sockets depending on the demand. It's basically as simple as you sending me the parts and I send you a working board. ;)

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 12:14:59 »
I was just looking for someone that offered quality keyboard service! I'll be shooting you a PM.
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 12:19:16 »
I was just looking for someone that offered quality keyboard service! I'll be shooting you a PM.

Awesome, I'm really surprised at much interest this thread has gained. :)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 12:21:15 »

Awesome, I'm really surprised at much interest this thread has gained. :)

Well, to my admittedly limited knowledge, most of the keyboard services here on GH were overseas or in Canada.  There is a guy on reddit based out of California, but Pennsylvania is much closer for me and apparently a lot of other people.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 11:20:01 »
Update: Even though I was comfortable with the equipment that I had I found it beneficial to upgrade still. I wanted to ensure that I can be as efficient, precise, and clean as I possibly can. ;)

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 11:25:23 »
Update: Even though I was comfortable with the equipment that I had I found it beneficial to upgrade still. I wanted to ensure that I can be as efficient, precise, and clean as I possibly can. ;)

Show Image

Lookin' good mate!

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 20:04:14 »

Wow moving into this KB thing really fast man. :)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 20:08:18 »
Wow moving into this KB thing really fast man. :)

Yeap ;)

The RS96 was the start of an addiction, I've done a lot of soldering since then and still have two more personal keyboard projects to build as well.  :thumb:

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:53:32 »
Glad to see some East Coast rep, still deciding if I want to get a new soldering iron or not. If I don't, you'll be my go to :thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 18:10:59 »
Glad to see some East Coast rep, still deciding if I want to get a new soldering iron or not. If I don't, you'll be my go to :thumb:

Hey thanks for the support, I do have a Weller WESD51 for sale if you're looking for one. I always like to encourage people to build their own builds but I understand people can get too busy and don't want to risk it. :thumb:

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 22:49:09 »
Just wondering, have you assembled cables? Have been thinking of installing a custom yarbo ps/2 in my 1800 but it requires a few parts and some soldering.

I might request to have you work on my 1800 at some point besides that (depending on how repairs go w/a local friend), but I'll PM/fill the form when the time comes.

Glad to see these services, building jobs look really good so far!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 22:52:24 »
Just wondering, have you assembled cables? Have been thinking of installing a custom yarbo ps/2 in my 1800 but it requires a few parts and some soldering.

I might request to have you work on my 1800 at some point besides that (depending on how repairs go w/a local friend), but I'll PM/fill the form when the time comes.

I have not assembled cables before. I could most likely solder it though.

Hey thank you very much, just got a KMAC done today and super happy with how it turned out! I'll be glad to help you out anytime. ;)

I'm currently working on desoldering LEDs in a KC60, an easier task of the factory solder is a ***** to suck up haha.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 09:38:29 »

Hey thank you very much, just got a KMAC done today and super happy with how it turned out! I'll be glad to help you out anytime. ;)

I'm currently working on desoldering LEDs in a KC60, an easier task of the factory solder is a ***** to suck up haha.

Got any pics of the KMAC?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 14:55:35 »

Got any pics of the KMAC?

Yeap I already uploaded them in the OP. ;)

Offline uJalled

• Shrimp cracker enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 15:00:35 »
Hey, I just want to pop in here, and give Steezus a big thumbs up for both him and his service, he really is a stand-up guy who communicates clearly and VERY frequently. He was probably the most pleasurable guy I've ever dealt with on this forum, and I've been here for over three years now. Highly recommend his services for anyone looking to have any modifications done to their board. He did a really great job on my KMAC judging from the photos. Thanks Steez!

Offline crovax3000

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 16:12:16 »
Commenting so I can find this later. I've been trying to teach myself to solder, but so far both things I've tried have gotten messed up somehow, so if I lose my nerve I'll have an Ergodox and the White Fox for you lol

Offline IMBoddy

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 23:02:13 »
Highly recommend Steezus! He desoldered the leds blocking my KC60 from switch swapping.   :thumb: :thumb: Will definitely request in the future!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 01:57:45 »
Great guy to work with, fast, friendly and professional! Happy as hell with my board! :cool:

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 18:04:54 »
Hey! Do you by chance have any vintage blacks on hand? I'm thinking about sending you my poker 2 for a switch swap and leds. I want 55g vintage blacks so I was gonna get the springs and send those along with the board.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 18:06:34 »
I have got some things I will need soldered once I can get some switches in hand.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 18:10:32 »
Hey! Do you by chance have any vintage blacks on hand? I'm thinking about sending you my poker 2 for a switch swap and leds. I want 55g vintage blacks so I was gonna get the springs and send those along with the board.

Hey ccarlitos2,

I do have vintage blacks but sadly they are for a personal project coming up. It took a fair bit of searching around to find ones that I wanted. Your best bet is to try asking around classifieds and see what you can come up with. :thumb:

A little word of advice, "vintage" can be a rather vague term. The vintage switches smoothness can vary year by year and switch by switch on the same board depending on how much typing use they have seen. Sometimes you may want to order more than needed to try them out and see which ones are similar in smoothness and in case any are dead switches. ;)

Commenting so I can find this later. I've been trying to teach myself to solder, but so far both things I've tried have gotten messed up somehow, so if I lose my nerve I'll have an Ergodox and the White Fox for you lol

I have got some things I will need soldered once I can get some switches in hand.

Sounds good, I'd be glad to do some work for the both of you! ;)

Also thank to everyone else for the kind words and positive reviews. :-*

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 18:14:17 »
More

Hey ccarlitos2,

I do have vintage blacks but sadly they are for a personal project coming up. It took a fair bit of searching around to find ones that I wanted. Your best bet is to try asking around classifieds and see what you can come up with. :thumb:

A little word of advice, "vintage" can be a rather vague term. The vintage switches smoothness can vary year by year and switch by switch on the same board depending on how much typing use they have seen. Sometimes you may want to order more than needed to try them out and see which ones are similar in smoothness and in case any are dead switches. ;)

Have you heard anything about the linear zealios? Like how do they compare to blacks?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 18:16:25 »
More

Hey ccarlitos2,

Have you heard anything about the linear zealios? Like how do they compare to blacks?

From what I hear gateron linears are very smooth and sometimes better compared to "most" blacks, it can depend on how lucky you are with some vintage blacks that you find. I have not tried them myself, krav sent a few samples which should be on the way so I can't comment too much on them. Linear Zealios are the same thing as Gateron Blacks except for the gold spring and translucent housing, either or should be a good option. :thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 00:47:07 »
Duck Eagle finished and ready to go back to it's owner, pictures uploaded in OP. :thumb:

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 12:49:34 »
Haha. I know that background for the duck eagle!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 16:40:07 »

I'm absolutely loving using it, thanks again filphil! :D

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 20:55:20 »

I'm absolutely loving using it, thanks again filphil! :D

Glad it's getting good use.  Originally it was for figures but more often than not the figures we had to shoot didn't really fit in it.  I mean it got it because the opening is large but the inner frame would be in most of the shots for the wider figures. 

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:23:23 »
Two board finished up and shipped out today. On to the next one! ;)

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:31:17 »
Great pic's sir!!!

I have got to say to everyone that Steezus' communication is great, and his service was seamless. I highly recommend his services!

Looking forward to gettting my Orion :)

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:37:11 »
I have a very interesting project I'll be sending you in a few days ;)

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 18:22:36 »

Sounds good to me! ;)

This applies to everybody, if you are looking for keyboard services please fill out the form and don't just PM me. It helps me stay organized and saves me a lot of time to invoice and ship out rather than waiting for PMs.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 21:44:56 »

Sounds good to me! ;)

This applies to everybody, if you are looking for keyboard services please fill out the form and don't just PM me. It helps me stay organized and saves me a lot of time to invoice and ship out rather than waiting for PMs.

:-X

Offline blai5000

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 21:50:27 »
Hey Steezus, just PM'd you an update.  Realized I mixed something minor on the request form!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 22:01:18 »
I will be gone March 5th-13th. The weekends are usually my work days for keyboards so the following two weekends I will not be able to help anyone out. I have made sure to not take any orders but there were still a few people that could not ship as originally planned. Please do not ship anything until I get back, thanks.

Offline tuba section

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 06:32:32 »
Anyone who is considering having Steezus work on your board: go for it! He did an amazing job on my ZZ96 (pictured in the top post). Not only was the work immaculate, but he also did everything quickly (and on short notice), dealt with more than a couple small issues without complaint, and communicated clearly and promptly the whole time. On top of that, the price was more than just competitive -- it was the best I have seen for keyboard services. AND THERE'S MORE! He is also a super cool, solid dude who was a pleasure to meet and talk to. All in all, a really positive experience. Thanks again, Steezus!