Author Topic: Hello there  (Read 2728 times)

Offline blunote

Hello there
« on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 06:00:35 »
Hello there, I found geekhack through a friend who decided to take me into the world of mechanical keyboards.

I pretty much can't get enough now.

I only own two models; the CMStorm quickfire rapid with Cherry MX Blues and the Rosewill RK-9000 with Cherry MX Brown switches. Waiting to try the reds soon - I bet they're delicious.  :p

I just recently got into collecting keycaps and modding and whatnot and needless to say my wallet is very unhappy with me.

A little bit more about me: I play League of Legends, work as a busser at a local restaurant (glamorous I know), and I stay up all night. I build computers, and am going into IT at some point in time.

Hope to see some of you around - Cheers!

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Hello there
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 08:01:21 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 08:09:15 »
This place is more like temptation iland. But you must resist, otherwise your wallet will suffer big time ;-)
welcome
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 12:59:35 »
No wallet is safe from geekhack.

I'm sorry.

Welcome to GeekHack.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 13:01:29 »
Only way to be safe is to find "the one".
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 13:02:00 »

I'm sorry.

Welcome to GeekHack.

"I'm sorry" says the man selling the Typenow Solid ;D

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 15:42:36 »

I'm sorry.

Welcome to GeekHack.

"I'm sorry" says the man selling the Typenow Solid ;D

No wallet is safe from Keyboard Story?
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 17:25:15 »
Welcome to Geekhack Wallethack!

Have you noticed much of a difference between the tactile bump in the blues and browns?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline blunote

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 00:14:39 »
Welcome to Geekhack Wallethack!

Have you noticed much of a difference between the tactile bump in the blues and browns?

I have and I quite like the blues - but I find myself switching to the browns every now and then. It feels more satisfying typing on the browns after spending a long time typing on the blues. The bump is definitely noticeable though when I don't bottom out (which I have a bad habit of doing since I slam my fingers into the keyboard far too often  :)) )

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 03:30:54 »
I have and I quite like the blues - but I find myself switching to the browns every now and then. It feels more satisfying typing on the browns after spending a long time typing on the blues. The bump is definitely noticeable though when I don't bottom out (which I have a bad habit of doing since I slam my fingers into the keyboard far too often  :)) )

Ok, thanks for that.  I have one blues, and decided to get a second blues for work.  Now I have a browns on order, so I'll know for myself in about a month's time, but my research suggested that the browns have a very subtle tactile bump compared to the blues.  And I like the blues :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline blunote

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 00:22:22 »

Ok, thanks for that.  I have one blues, and decided to get a second blues for work.  Now I have a browns on order, so I'll know for myself in about a month's time, but my research suggested that the browns have a very subtle tactile bump compared to the blues.  And I like the blues :)

they do and they feel a bit heavier than the blues as well. The blues are light and give a really solid bump - where as the bump on the browns is a bit more soft feeling. It feels more solid than the blues though which are very fast and responsive but tend to feel like typing on air compared to the browns. I still think you'll love them as there is a definite tactile feedback to them and they are an absolute joy to type on. The sound they make is also very nice. Not as loud and clicky but very much so a satisfying typing sound.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 September 2012, 00:25:18 by blunote »