Author Topic: SmallFry Friends & Family Tribute key, formerly known as Mystery key 3 or M3 key  (Read 14193 times)

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
Will it only be auctions or will there be fixed price?
I'd rather pay fix cause auctions turns me off.

You know this is for a charity right? Are you saying you want SmallFry's family to have less money to do what they want?

Fixed price doesn't mean i will pay less. Mostly means i will pay what is required to pay.
Fixed price means i won't have to fight 1000 keycap-hungry geeks to get what i want.
Fixed price means PayPal Magic; send money and 2 weeks later UPSanta brings a gift.

Business has no feelings. The set means something, but money doesn't.
Setting a price will also forecast number of sales, means they can produce for the demand and maximize the money they get, and also everyone has what he's looking for. Auction is cashgrab; If 20 peoples wants the set but you produce only 10 for auctions purposes and milking, then so be it, but i wonder who isn't empathic on this.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
My vote would be to sell the remaining keys at a fixed cost and possibly do a group buy for the same legen on 1.25 bottom row modifiers as I do believe they are more common and also as a 2x backspace key.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
I am honestly ambivalent towards the purchasing method, though with an admitted preference towards a set price -- not to keep the price low, but just so that I don't have to come back and keep checking to make sure my bid qualifies, worry about getting sniped, try to snipe, etc. Auctions just make things more stressful for the buyer, but if they make them enough easier for the seller, I honestly can't fault them overly, so long as the seller is willing to accept that they will likely get less money overall than if they had simply had a properly set price. Their stuff to sell, their call.

The point that I find a more frustrating is the "small number/limited edition" bit. Creating artificial scarcity for a memorial seems a bit, well, cruel. It seems a harsh term, but I can really think of no better at the moment. Driving up the price artificially by unnecessarily limiting the supply means that some who knew him will suddenly have to decide whether their sentimental value is worth whatever price premium results from limiting the edition. It also requires those participants who have the least, to sacrifice the most, and when combined with an auction, still have the chance to be outbid in a moment on the whim of someone slightly better off. Worse, it invites both speculation (if one can put it up on eBay the month after the auction closes for 125% of their bid, that's an absurdly good rate of return), and the simple cruelty of wealth (someone who has never heard of SmallFry but has enough money to win all the auctions because they happen to like the design and want to give them out at their nephew's birthday party). And I will be the first to admit that this is not my rodeo and inlikeflynn is welcome to run this however he sees fit, simply expressing my own feelings/concerns.

If I might suggest an alternative:
Set up the foundation, and give a minimum donation to receive a gift of one such keycap. $5, $10, $500, whatever you think is fair. Again, I personally think that the production run should be large enough that the minimum donation to receive the memorial should be low, but that may well just be me. In addition to that, invite people to provide items for the top donors. Clacks, Industrial SSKs, or what have you. Then, after a set amount of time (a week, a month, two years less a day, whatever), announce the top donors and ship out the rewards. If there is a concern that the value of the item will outstrip the top donation, afix a minimum donation for each such item given. There is also the potential that one of GH's corporate friends might be willing to donate other items to this charity as well. Example: a CM-QFR for the first 25 donors who give more than $200. Though obviously that last bit is simple speculation.

Edit: To be clear, I never had the fortune of meeting or speaking with SmallFry, just the enjoyment of reading his words, so if those who knew him better believe the plan as stated is an appropriate memorial to him, I would certainly defer to their judgement, I'm just talking out my own thoughts here. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 10:34:35 by xmagusx »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
The point that I find a more frustrating is the "small number/limited edition" bit. Creating artificial scarcity for a memorial seems a bit, well, cruel. It seems a harsh term, but I can really think of no better at the moment. Driving up the price artificially by unnecessarily limiting the supply means that some who knew him will suddenly have to decide whether their sentimental value is worth whatever price premium results from limiting the edition. It also requires those participants who have the least, to sacrifice the most, and when combined with an auction, still have the chance to be outbid in a moment on the whim of someone slightly better off. Worse, it invites both speculation (if one can put it up on eBay the month after the auction closes for 125% of their bid, that's an absurdly good rate of return), and the simple cruelty of wealth (someone who has never heard of SmallFry but has enough money to win all the auctions because they happen to like the design and want to give them out at their nephew's birthday party). And I will be the first to admit that this is not my rodeo and inlikeflynn is welcome to run this however he sees fit, simply expressing my own feelings/concerns.

I believe that these keys were already in production before SmallFry's passing, and at that point they were simply meant to be a mystery key.  In that regard, the artificial scarcity you mention would have been good (back when it was a mystery key), or at least not bad.  It is my understanding that they were renamed to include SmallFry in their title after his passing, at which point they were already produced.  Just wanted to offer that up as an explanation for your point about under-producing and scarcity.  Their purpose was re-aligned after production, as far as I know.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech

I believe that these keys were already in production before SmallFry's passing, and at that point they were simply meant to be a mystery key.  In that regard, the artificial scarcity you mention would have been good (back when it was a mystery key), or at least not bad.  It is my understanding that they were renamed to include SmallFry in their title after his passing, at which point they were already produced.  Just wanted to offer that up as an explanation for your point about under-producing and scarcity.  Their purpose was re-aligned after production, as far as I know.

You must be right but may i ask if it is still possible to produce more if the demand is high?
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator

You must be right but may i ask if it is still possible to produce more if the demand is high?

That's a question that Flynn would need to field, as I had no involvement in this project personally.  :)  Hopefully he'll see your question.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
I was unaware that the run was complete, though I would definitely agree with Quardah that an additional run be done if there's enough folks here who would want one (as I imagine there are).

Again, though, the idea of a limited edition memorial auction seems cruel to me. Still, not my rodeo, and however it plays out, I hope the foundation succeeds!
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 12:20:15 by xmagusx »

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
1.) these specific keys (1.5x mod sized) were already made long ago for the original M3 project as described in the 1st post

2.) This specific size/profile/color is limited in quantity and will probably NOT ever be remade with exactly the same size/profile/color.  it almost certainly will get new ones made with different size/profile/color or maybe even become part of the standard keycap sets. But for the original's what exists now is what will forever exist.

3.) There should never be a 2nd hand market on these like CC's... i am quite sure GH will self police itself if someone tries to make CC levels of personal profit from a F&F cap

4.) There will be individual F&F caps for sale after the auction at a fixed price that anyone can afford. How many depends on how the auction goes

5.) I dislike the personal profit auction's on GH as much as anyone else, but we have a different goal here with the foundation. With or without the special F&F packages auction people would be donating once the foundation is up and running. Would they donate as much without  the F&F package? I have no idea, but the package is just extra incentive and my way of saying thanks for the donation. I believe that for USA people it would also be a tax deduction which could be an even larger incentive

6.) Afraid you will miss out on getting one from the auction or eventual individual sale? Then participate in one of the GH birthday contests an incorporate the design and i'll probably just send you one

7.) Want to use the F&F logo for something else that is not for profit? Just ask and i'll almost surely say yes and get you the SVG itself.

-Flynn
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline Adept Entity

Are these still available? I'm most definitely interested.