Author Topic: A very sad day - Anthony Bourdain dead at 61  (Read 6355 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
A very sad day - Anthony Bourdain dead at 61
« on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 08:34:03 »
This really really sucks.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

First celeb death to really hit me quite hard.

Offline Findecanor

Re: A very sad day - Anthony Bourdain dead at 61
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 09:05:01 »
Goddamnit. Suicide?
Maybe he had a disease that would have killed him slowly otherwise, like Tony Scott. Maybe killed by ninjas and it made to look like accidental suicide like David Carradine or just an accidental bad mix of medication like Heath Ledger. I dunno...

I used to love seeing his show, where he travelled the world and his comments on food and life. I sometimes quote him.
I once saw him in real life, incidentally just outside my house. I found a year later that he had been filming his TV show a few blocks away.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 June 2018, 11:22:36 by Findecanor »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 09:50:36 »
I read his first book about 20 years ago that was really quite interesting and amusing.

I saw a little bit of his TV shows but it seemed like a lot of posing and less about food, so I kind of lost interest in him.

One passage from the book that always stuck with me was (probably not verbatim):

"Some people say that your body should be a temple, I think that it should be an amusement park."
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 19:17:09 »
I read his first book about 20 years ago that was really quite interesting and amusing.

I saw a little bit of his TV shows but it seemed like a lot of posing and less about food, so I kind of lost interest in him.

One passage from the book that always stuck with me was (probably not verbatim):

"Some people say that your body should be a temple, I think that it should be an amusement park."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline giangtran19x

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 19:29:05 »
He was with president Obama eating noodle in my country. It was over the news yesterday  :-[

RIP

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 19:30:51 »
He was with president Obama eating noodle in my country. It was over the news yesterday  :-[

RIP

what type of noodles were they eating ?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 02:55:27 »
This is Asia Argento's fault.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 09:50:25 »

It's possible that her various actions were part of a trigger..  but bourdain's mind had already destablized after a history with substances..

We'll never know for sure. Not that it's important to know.. The primary fact is the story has ended. Lets respect their dignity.

Or is that form of politeness a natural human response to put off dealing with unresolved occurances.

hrrrmm...

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:24:41 »

It's possible that her various actions were part of a trigger..  but bourdain's mind had already destablized after a history with substances..

We'll never know for sure. Not that it's important to know.. The primary fact is the story has ended. Lets respect their dignity.

Or is that form of politeness a natural human response to put off dealing with unresolved occurances.

hrrrmm...

Throws someone off a cliff after an emotional roller coaster. Claims that sooner or later he would have fallen anyway.

Just to let you know, the day after the death of Bourdain, she was in television recording a talent show.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:25:32 »

RIP

what type of noodles were they eating ?

Guys, answer. Don't let him hanging.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 11:22:41 »

Throws someone off a cliff after an emotional roller coaster. Claims that sooner or later he would have fallen anyway.

Just to let you know, the day after the death of Bourdain, she was in television recording a talent show.

I notice you've got the -Italy- moniker.

I do recall that the Italian press is of the opinion that manipulative/ambitious actresses were well aware of the price of admission of various hollywood doors. (Weinstein scandal)

The press goes on to say that the women who did not make out as well on such deals composites the sea-of-alleged-victims.

Asia Argento being the center of the debate, of who the Italian press chastises, to the extent that she had to leave her Italian Home for germany.

hahaha.. 

I can see that this set of ideology is consistent with your more negative analysis of events relating to Bourdain.

I don't think you are wrong , it may very well be that Asia Argento is a cold-hearted sex selling psychopath.

However, because we do not have complete knowledge of such intimacies,  Let's be equitable to the alternative, that being, Argento signed up for a job to complete work on a talent show, despite possible sadness at the result of Bourdain's passing.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 12:19:47 »
It makes me angry Bourdain had such a weakness to be exploited by some rotten ****, and that she took advantage of him being wrapped around her finger.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 12:22:54 »
It makes me angry Bourdain had such a weakness to be exploited by some rotten ****, and that she took advantage of him being wrapped around her finger.

sssss...

well we don't know the facts on this..

Might be true, might not be..

But, -Niether- Bourdain nor Argento would ever be mistaken for "good people"

They are both, likely disturbed individuals.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 12:44:17 »
The ex husband of Asia Argento, named Morgan, said the she was the girlfriend of Weinstein, and that he came to Italy many times and that they've been lovers for a while, and that they played those gelosy games typical of lovers. These are the facts coming from the man the knew her better.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 13:36:24 »
The ex husband of Asia Argento, named Morgan, said the she was the girlfriend of Weinstein, and that he came to Italy many times and that they've been lovers for a while, and that they played those gelosy games typical of lovers. These are the facts coming from the man the knew her better.

Yea, the Public face which we maintain in terms of (Decent) social behavior is very different from the Reality of human affairs.

If we look at the wealth of someone like Weinstein.

He has more money than he could ever spend.

You could only engage with such a person in 2 ways.

1,  appeal to his charity

2,  pay him with something OTHER than money.

This is a REALITY which we do not teach in general education. The public who grow up with only Half-Truths is logically outraged at the exchange of such (Services)..

EVEN THOUGH,  everyone in the Hollywood circle and Wealthier society in general is WELL AWARE that's how the market is.

I think the bulk of the outrage may come from women who are not born as beautiful.

They must subconciously harbor a deep disdain for prettier women, who are born gifted with an absolute currency which fundamentally guarantees their living without any significant physical/mental labor..

And so this pent up energy comes out in the form of antipathy for the exchange of Vanity/Appearance/Secs.

Just as good shoes which a cobbler sells is the ONLY thing he needs to sell to earn a living.

For some beautiful women,  their casual intimacy is the ONLY thing they need to sell to earn a living.

I think Firefly presented this notion the best,  where in the future we have PROFESSIONAL Companions, in a legitimized guild which refine interpersonal intimacy.

If we look back at history, we also had geisha in japan which is quite similar. 

The back pressure is always, (glamorized prostitution).

Yet, everyone exchanges their time/effort on the open market, it's unfair to be critical of someone's principal means of living. More often than not such circumstances evolved naturally based on best price logic.

Once a person does land in that spot,  is upward refinement of whatever the task not natural and necessary ?

So, the conclusion is,  that intimacy is part of the package of interpersonal exchange, however brief and piecemeal the exchanges are.

The exponential difference in Valuation of such sold-intimacy between beautiful and homely women sparked the debate of whether it constitutes a valid currency.

Yet, this is only a superficial printed counter to a system which has always and will continue to operate.

It's probably more succinct and clear to explain openly that Yes, selling physical intimacy is not desirable UNLESS the price is $********* ..   At which point it is a perfectly reasonable/logical/valid item to exchange.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 17:24:57 »
 :))

Thanks for this very thorough explanation, I agree with most of it.

I think that every woman exploited Weinstein as much as he exploited them. This, in the world of cinematography, is a universal truth.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 19:23:04 »
:))

Thanks for this very thorough explanation, I agree with most of it.

I think that every woman exploited Weinstein as much as he exploited them. This, in the world of cinematography, is a universal truth.

As per the italian Press:

Weinstein probably is a monster..

But, the majority of these women are not victims, they were aware of the price, and they chose to pay it.

Only to now back pedal to resolve their cognitive dissonance for having prostituted themselves.

More than anything,  many of them are trying to convince themselves that they had no part in the decision, which is ridiculous,  they're adults and most were veterens of the industry which has always operated in this seedy way.

It's like webstores which do not take bitcoins.. pay cash..

Weistein doesn't take cash, he takes ~~~~~

Illegal, YES,   extortion/ rape,  Heck no..

Offline typo

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 21:43:31 »
For some reason I was really disappointed about this and I know why. It was quite obvious he was not a happy individual and could not find his path. To bring the end was just sad. There was always room to get better and sober. He did a lot of hard goods but I mean look at the way he indulged in libation in public as if it were nothing. Every time you see him he had a ton of liquor. I mean hanging out with Iggy Pop was not Obama either. He lived the rock and roll and went out with a flame. It baffles me how one waits to 61 to make this decision. You are nearing the end of your life very possibly anyhow. I guess that says somehow "I was in control of my destiny and wrote the final chapter".  For the record I am much older but plenty of people bite it in their 60's anyways. I don't know it was sad because it was a sorry end to a sorry life. I mean he entertained us but the guy was clearly not happy. I mean like Prince was sad but in a different way. AFAIK he did not blatantly commit suicide. He overdosed accidently. And he was a interesting guy but I do not think unhappy like Bourdain. Prince was really in physical pain but that stuff is dangerous. Bourdain just self medicated to drown his sorrow. Which is what is sad. He had a great life by anyone's standards but could not find inner happiness.  The whole thing to the end with her was just sad.

TP4, this is the most sense I have ever heard you speak. I guess you feel this is not a joke. As far as Woman being a commodity they were not sold into slavery, come on. They knew what was up. these were not spring Chickens. TBH, I bet many of them are just taking the opportunity to cash in after the fact. I do not think any of them were forced upon and certainly not in an aggravated fashion. This was not a home invasion they went to HIS home lol. Not sure how the discussion got here though. R.I.P. Anthony

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 21:55:30 »

TP4, this is the most sense I have ever heard you speak. I guess you feel this is not a joke. As far as Woman being a commodity they were not sold into slavery, come on. They knew what was up. these were not spring Chickens. TBH, I bet many of them are just taking the opportunity to cash in after the fact. I do not think any of them were forced upon and certainly not in an aggravated fashion. This was not a home invasion they went to HIS home lol. Not sure how the discussion got here though. R.I.P. Anthony

Hahaha.

Typo, I think certainly there is plenty of room for humanity to elevate itself and not conduct affairs in such crass manner.

However, at the same time, this (Hope) that people would think deeply and pursue something other than wanton hedonism is perhaps giving an Animal too much credit.

For some reason I was really disappointed about this and I know why. It was quite obvious he was not a happy individual and could not find his path. To bring the end was just sad. There was always room to get better and sober. He did a lot of hard goods but I mean look at the way he indulged in libation in public as if it were nothing. Every time you see him he had a ton of liquor. I mean hanging out with Iggy Pop was not Obama either. He lived the rock and roll and went out with a flame. It baffles me how one waits to 61 to make this decision. You are nearing the end of your life very possibly anyhow. I guess that says somehow "I was in control of my destiny and wrote the final chapter".  For the record I am much older but plenty of people bite it in their 60's anyways. I don't know it was sad because it was a sorry end to a sorry life. I mean he entertained us but the guy was clearly not happy. I mean like Prince was sad but in a different way. AFAIK he did not blatantly commit suicide. He overdosed accidently. And he was a interesting guy but I do not think unhappy like Bourdain. Prince was really in physical pain but that stuff is dangerous. Bourdain just self medicated to drown his sorrow. Which is what is sad. He had a great life by anyone's standards but could not find inner happiness.  The whole thing to the end with her was just sad.

I think it's very critical for the viewers to understand that there is no drama here in Bourdain's story. 

It was a very mechanical breakdown of brain circuitry, resultant of a lifestyle completely unchecked.

The lesson of being , - Don't do Drugs -..

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 04:31:18 »

Hahaha.

Typo, I think certainly there is plenty of room for humanity to elevate itself and not conduct affairs in such crass manner.

However, at the same time, this (Hope) that people would think deeply and pursue something other than wanton hedonism is perhaps giving an Animal too much credit.[/size][/color]

I think it's very critical for the viewers to understand that there is no drama here in Bourdain's story. 

It was a very mechanical breakdown of brain circuitry, resultant of a lifestyle completely unchecked.

The lesson of being , - Don't do Drugs -..

and don't stick your **** in crazy

Offline typo

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 June 2018, 08:45:47 »
No, I think the poor guy was ruined long before her. I mean the way that guy partied was bananas. It is a shame because he was a brilliant guy but ruined his life with illicit substances. As I said even, you never saw him without copious amounts of Alcohol like that is completely acceptable for lunch.....and Dinner ETC. People that live that lifestyle are quite frankly very lucky to last until 61. Look, accident's, depression-suicide, OD all that does, even alcohol not in moderation is kills ones self prematurely whenever it may be. The fact he made it to 61 is quite frankly impressive. I mean lot's of these out of control types bit it 20 or earlier. We were all blessed by him while he was here. A brilliant man. Even to see through the haze of substances he partook in. What can I say, it is a shame every time this happens. In history there has never been a good outcome of this lifestyle. Leaves others behind in sorrow, their pain is but finished now. I do really feel bad for his Daughter.

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 21:55:52 »
Late to this thread and this probably don't matter much in the grand scheme of things, but his style is really unique. He tells the truth in simple form and yet you can learn a lot of complicated life lessons from. His show makes people feel like the things that he eats and places he go to are not some far reach expensive places that normal people can't really go. He will be great missed, and even though suicide is not an answer, but I do hope wherever he is, he is at finally at peace.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 11:07:04 »
Am I the only person who didn't know of this guy? His face looked familiar when I saw the articles, but I couldn't have placed him or named him.

I'm usually pretty good with recognizing B and C list actors in things and knowing their names. Maybe it's because he wasn't a "movie" star.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 14:16:37 »
It's part of that darkness that just resides in some people. You can never make it go away, all you can do is attempt to stave it off and stay a step or two ahead of it. Looking at past interviews and episodes it's been obvious he lived with that constant internal struggle. What bothers me though is this whole prevention angle everyone is taking. This thing that lives in some people never goes away and cannot be cured, just distracted. For these individuals it is a constant driving force, the second you get complacent it will catch you and too many 'normal' folks simply cannot wrap their minds around the fact some people cannot ever really be happy. But it's not all loss. Living with that dark cloud as a creative also means it gives you a distinct edge and hunger to establish a proper and unique outlet for expressing that in their work. Which is why so many of the world's greatest creators were also not of totally sound mind.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 15:01:36 »

Am I the only person who didn't know of this guy?

He wrote a book back in the 1990s that was hilarious and fascinating. I never watched him on TV very much.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33313.Kitchen_Confidential
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline typo

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 05:39:19 »
Mediication often works. Although many will not take it. Since that dark cloud is what is driving the creativity. Their only outlet and contribution. They do not owe the contribution but it often makes them feel validated. Yes, watching him it was obvious he had a bad internal struggle. He was no happy guy and self medicated like mad, Personally if that were me I would rather the Zoloft than libation but not being in those shoes I cannot say. I am very happy. I suppose that is why all my code sucks!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 10:41:05 »
"Anti-depressant" pills are far from a miracle drug. They are very dangerous. I know because I was treated for depression twelve years ago. The pills initially make you feel worse so the use needs to be ramped up over about a month together with anti-anxiety medication and frequent check-ups with the doctor. There are many who have committed suicide during the ramp-up period. And later, while you are on it, the medication does lower mild anxiety somewhat.. but that means that you mostly stop caring about things, such as getting up in the morning or taking care of yourself. But you can still get panic attacks.
And then there are side-effects from both drugs, such as drowsiness. Your existence is pretty much put on hold.
The medication does not make you deal with any underlying problem — the medication is only useful as a tool to make you lull and more receptible to therapy.

Edit:
You also need to afford the treatment: both in money and time. I was a broke college student but lived in a country with universal health care. The thesis I (and a partner) was writing on took a lot longer than it should have because of me. If I had been broke, unemployed and depressed in the USA without health insurance, I would have been ****ed. If you are the driving force behind a project that many depend on (employees etc) then you don't have the time.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 June 2018, 11:06:27 by Findecanor »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 10:54:56 »
"Anti-depressant" pills are far from a miracle drug. They are very dangerous. I know because I was treated for depression twelve years ago. The pills initially make you feel worse so the use needs to be ramped up over about a month together with anti-anxiety medication and frequent check-ups with the doctor. There are many who have committed suicide during the ramp-up period. And later, while you are on it, the medication does lower mild anxiety somewhat.. but that means that you mostly stop caring about things, such as getting up in the morning or taking care of yourself. But you can still get panic attacks.
And then there are side-effects from both drugs, such as drowsiness. Your existence is pretty much put on hold.
The medication does not make you deal with any underlying problem — the medication is only useful as a tool to make you lull and more receptible to therapy.

In Firefly..

The Alliance attempt at chemical pacification of new-found colonies using G-23 paxilon hydrochlorate, resulted in 99.9% of the population becoming so successfully pacified that they voluntarily relinquished all desire and perished at stand still.

This is precisely the back story behind Modern day's copious drugging of the general population, under the guise of childhood adhd, adult-adhd, -depression, etc-

The cessation of ww2 ended germany's research into mind-control chemistry. The scientists were ported over to america where the work continued under CIA's MKUltra.

Following public discovery and scientist whistle blowers, the project was formally stopped under the Clinton Administration.

However, the Oligarchs never truly halted their desire to MINE and Exploit the timid plebian monkies..

AND SO,   the research was diversified into public companies where compounds were marked for treatment of cognitive disorders..

Instead of having to illegally experiment on detainees, prisoners, mental-hospital patients..

NOW,  they have willing volunteers who PAY THEM to try out Their mind control drugs.

ALL THE WHILE,   the ultimate goal has been chemical pacification and slavery..

So says,  the internets .

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 15:26:27 »
Medication straight up changes who you are. Sometimes it is for the better, but a lot of people don't like being forceably removed from their own personality.

Red pill blue pill.

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 10:25:08 »
I HAET THREADS LIEK THIS OMG OMG SO MADDDDD BROOOOO!!!! STOP TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE WHO DIED THAT YOU NEVER MET AND/OR HAD RELATIONSHIPS WITH JUST CUZ THEY DEAD DONMEAN YOU GOTTA CRY ABOUT IT GROW UP LITTLE BABAYYYYYYSSS!!

:-[ bye anthony  :-[

Offline adoringbunny

• ☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 12:41:15 »
RIP. I have been watching Parts Unknown on Netflix the past few days. Such a great show. Hoping to find No Reservations to watch afterwards.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 15:28:33 »
RIP. I have been watching Parts Unknown on Netflix the past few days. Such a great show. Hoping to find No Reservations to watch afterwards.

the last two recent episodes were really dark and depressing

Offline adoringbunny

• ☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 23:31:36 »

the last two recent episodes were really dark and depressing

Of Parts Unknown? Oh no! I'm still only on seasonal 1, so I've quite a ways to go, but that's too bad. What a note to leave off of. :(