Author Topic: What do you guys think of MX Black Switches?  (Read 23185 times)

Offline TuckTuckFloof

• Smol Boards
What do you guys think of MX Black Switches?
« on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 01:49:38 »
They good? I was thinking of getting a Vortex ViBe with MX Blacks because I like the layout and think it's cool as heck, tide me over until I achieve my endgame which is a Southpaw 65% kit so I can pimp it out with Healios and GMK keycaps n such. Unless you know somebody selling one :), I'd love to hear what you think of the Black switches!

Offline appaboy

Re: What do you guys think of MX Black Switches?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 01:54:13 »
Mx blacks and especially vintage mx blacks in particular are a very very popular linear swirch and unlike clones they don't die down in hype when people decide they aren't topical anymore but rather stand the test of time
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 02:09:16 »
My first ever mx switch and still one of my favourites. I do like to mod them but I’ve always appreciated a nice linear switch such as a regular black mx.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 03:08:51 »
Personally, I find them extremely boring (even for a linear switch) and weighted too stiffly plus being scratchy to boot. Vintage blacks are much smoother, but are also even stiffer.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline killyou

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 04:28:19 »
I think that if one want's MX Black then Tealios should be considered instead. I personally find 67g on linear switches a bit too much and would appreciate 58-60g Tealio-like switch.

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 06:21:33 »
MX black (retooled or vintage) are quite nice with lighter springs (e.g. 62g) and with thin lube.
I find the bottom-out sound to be better than Tealios due to the housing.

Offline JPVann

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 10:44:58 »
MX Blacks are too heavy for me.  Much prefer the MX Nature Whites - placed directly in between MX Reds and MX Blacks.  Perfect mix of rme in both typing and gaming.  Especially the typing.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 11:02:38 »
I'm not a fan of linear switches at all. When I have used MX Blacks for any longer period of time, I have found them fatiguing.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 11:09:52 »
I use MX blacks in two of my keyboards and really enjoy them.

Offline Entropia

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 11:49:29 »
My two Leopolds have MX Blacks. I like them very much. I came from buclking springs, so I like the heavy springs. I had a Tesoro before also with blacks and they were much scrachier. I guess Leopold use retooled switches. They feel smooth and nice to type on. The sound is also quite pleasant, not very noisy, but I think the thick PBT keycaps also have to do with that.

Offline thearctican

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 12:11:18 »
I've had mixed results buying retooled blacks. First batch I got from Arrow were v.nice. Second batch of 200 I got are pingy as hell and super scratchy (yes, they were indeed retooled). I enjoy them, but I spring swap them to something much lighter and feel I need to lube them.
Last board I built with them had 35g springs on everything but the spacebar.

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 13:13:27 »
Cherry MX Blacks are the classic switch in terms of their wide spread usage and acceptance. While I myself prefer lighter weighted switches (Browns/Reds/Speed Silvers), Blacks are still extremely satisfying to type on. As well, while they have morphed a bit in form and feel, my friend has been using the same MX Black board for literally 6 years of heavy usage and they are still more than usable.

Offline jamster

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 00:14:17 »
Too heavy for me. And I enjoy buckling spring and 55g Topre.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 00:29:10 »
MX Linears are the best MX switches. Topre is king for tactile ('cept maybe for some re-springed Alps) and IBM rules clicky. Stock blacks are too heavy for me. Gateron Yellow has the best stock linear springs, but for MX Black I like SPRiT 68g.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 02:16:50 »
mx blacks are the weed of the mech keyboard world, a gateway switch

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 02:38:22 »
I have used both re tooled blacks and Tealios along with box blacks. I gotta say the Cherry Retooled blacks are as smooth as the Tealios for half the cost. I also really like box blacks but I know box switches are taboo now days.

Offline MonsterZero

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 05:41:25 »
I have used both re tooled blacks and Tealios along with box blacks. I gotta say the Cherry Retooled blacks are as smooth as the Tealios for half the cost. I also really like box blacks but I know box switches are taboo now days.

it's not that they're taboo it's just their design is not very thought out and is inferior to the 80s cherry design
(typing this on a box royal board can't wait to put holy pandas in there)
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 05:54:55 »
vintage mx blacks with lube and polycarb film

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 07:28:33 »
MX blacks are smooth (depends from where you get them). But way to stiff and heavy. There was a reason why they where put in terminals to avoid accident presses. Gateron Yellow 4 lyf
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 07:34:30 »
A set of my favorite switches are modded Vin Blacks. Soooo gooooood

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 13:29:47 »
Waiting on some retooled mx blacks to tinker with and I keep hearing they bind on gmk profile, especially with different stem mods. 
Is there anything that can be done to counter this? Stick to SA caps or swap in different switchtops?

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 13:42:35 »
Waiting on some retooled mx blacks to tinker with and I keep hearing they bind on gmk profile, especially with different stem mods. 
Is there anything that can be done to counter this? Stick to SA caps or swap in different switchtops?

You keep hearing this? Can you elaborate on where you keep hearing this? And what exactly are these "stem mods" you're referring to?

Btw, I'm typing this on one of my 2 keyboards with retooled blacks with GMK keycaps. I have never experienced a single bind with this combo ever.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 13:49:23 »
This from reddit, and hearing it on build streams with holy chickies and such, but if it's not an issue with stock stems then that's comforting!
209961-0

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 13:58:14 »
This from reddit, and hearing it on build streams with holy chickies and such, but if it's not an issue with stock stems then that's comforting!
(Attachment Link)

Holy Chickies use MX Blue housings I thought, which are different than the MX black housings. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though. I can't remember hearing about any specialized switches that require MX black housings specifically.

Offline MTXjunkie

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 17:03:08 »
Is there a database of some sort to list the “good” date codes for retooled blacks?  I’ve been eyeing some, but I’ve heard that even the retooled blacks are a batch to batch gamble. Arrow has some that are date code 1840 that I’m tempted to gamble on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 23:30:49 »
They're better than RDs (except maybe an RD Model M).
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 January 2019, 23:32:22 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 01:14:19 »
(Attachment Link)

Holy Chickies use MX Blue housings I thought, which are different than the MX black housings. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong though. I can't remember hearing about any specialized switches that require MX black housings specifically.

Mmm, stock MX switches doesn't have this issue really, it's just the frankenswitch issue (Holy Chickies) when the stem, spring and housing combo is binding a keycap. Also I think it happens more to this frankenswitch if you use lighter springs. Now let's get back to MX Blacks my dudes.

Rumblehotep there's a reason why people prefer MX Blacks and especially vintage switches - smoothness (depends on era/batch but lubed is best anyway), reliability, sound signature (I can't get enough of those typing videos with boards like this HBCP or Velvet's OTD 360C) and the reasonable price/performance ratio.
For example, for the price of a Tealio (now it's $1) you can get almost 4 retooled MX Black switches from Arrow (priced at 0.278 for 100+ pcs order rn).
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 20:41:48 »
Ah so stock stems they're fine, that's great!

Offline Solotov

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 21:04:03 »
Retooled and vintage mx blacks are very good linear. People usually swap springs to their like (eg. 55g, 62g, ...). They have a really good sound due to their housing.
But they are not the smoothest linear. I still feel them scratchy even after properly lubed.

Tealios is the smoothest linear switch, but the sound is less appealing compared to mx black due to its housing. So, it's kind of trade off depending on which aspect you prioritize more.
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 21:24:48 »
I just realized that I do not think I have tried a recent MX Black.

I have tried Vin Blacks and Silent Black stems in Zealio housings.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 01:12:52 »
Tealios is the smoothest linear switch
Have you tried contactless switches?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Gampela

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 09 January 2019, 03:46:01 »
I keep hearing people praising retooled Cherry Mx Blacks but not once have I heard anything about newer Mx Red switches. And how about the silenced versions of these switches? I love my fc980m with silenced reds but I don't have much to compare them with.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 16:39:26 »
MX Linears are the best MX switches. Topre is king for tactile ('cept maybe for some re-springed Alps) ...

Ultimate truth in the universe of mechanical keyboard, full-stop.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 21:43:19 »
They'll never be one of my fave switches (those being buckling springs, Topre and Noppoo capacitive, Kailh Box, Cherry MX Green).

The main reason, for me, is that they're linear (no click, no bump). So they're not only less stimulating, it's harder to type on them without bottoming out. (I know many of you are big bottoming-out fans, and that's fine... However, I consider past its actuation point, and whacking it into the plate, a waste of time, effort and comfort. And are you sure you're not doing it just to get some kind of feedback from linear switches? LOL)

BUT—and that's a big but—MX Blacks are a well-made, major switch. So as with all other mechanical switches (except turkeys like Futaba and Peerless), I enjoy typing on them for a while, just for variety. And because Blacks are stiffer than the mainstream MXs (Red, Blue, Green), at least there's some resistance to work with.

To sum up: No, I'll never use them every day, but they're solid and consistent enough to enjoy using them from time to time.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline yuppie

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 21 January 2019, 22:57:18 »
They're a bit too loud for me. I've grown to love silent linears. First, the Zilent Black (Silent Black stem, Zeal housing, 67g Zeal spring).

Now, I'm a fan of the Healio by Zeal, although I'm still trying to figure out the best way to lube them.

A smooth, silent linear is really a great typing experience.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 20:05:07 »
I like most heavier switches, blacks included.

Can't stand reds.

My second or third mech kb has MX blacks, and it still gets rotated in every now and again.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 20:49:31 »
Vintage & re-tooled MX blacks are pretty nice linear switches IME. They're fairly smooth stock, don't have to much spring ping/crunch in their stock state, & have a really nice sound signature. Not much to not like with them TBH. Personally I prefer Gateron linears to Cherry linears in their stock forms, but Gateron switches aren't an option with Vortex boards AFAIK. Then to get any better than stock Cherry or Gateron linears you're looking at pretty much doubling the price per switch. All in all I would say a Vortex Vibe with MX blacks would make for a nice entry board. :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 21:00:21 »
they are good
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 00:44:07 »
I like MX Blacks I agree with comments that they can be a little fatiguing. Gateron Blacks r good too and seem to be a little smoother stock.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 08:37:47 »
They're a good entry switch into mechanical keyboards, but they stand no chance vs custom weighted Tealios, Vintage Blacks or even Gaterons.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 11:43:59 »
They're a good entry switch into mechanical keyboards, but they stand no chance vs custom weighted Tealios, Vintage Blacks or even Gaterons.

I need to get me some good vintage blacks so I can find out what all the hype is about.

Offline fer.real

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 12:03:13 »
I just received an order of retooled blacks from Arrow this morning and they are very scratchy.  So scratchy they're loud, even with lube.

My only previous experience with Cherry Blacks were vintage blacks from a WY-350 terminal keyboard and I like those.  Maybe I got a bad batch.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 14:12:37 »
I just received an order of retooled blacks from Arrow this morning and they are very scratchy.  So scratchy they're loud, even with lube.

My only previous experience with Cherry Blacks were vintage blacks from a WY-350 terminal keyboard and I like those.  Maybe I got a bad batch.

Because retooled has turned to ****. Earlier batches are what you were after but the newest ones are known to be scratchy. It's now a hit or miss so it's extremely hard to know what you getting.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 14:33:24 »

Because retooled has turned to ****. Earlier batches are what you were after but the newest ones are known to be scratchy. It's now a hit or miss so it's extremely hard to know what you getting.

Can confirm. I have two batches in my drawer, one from earlier last year and one from later in the year after the restock. The earlier batch has a gold colored spring and they're pre-lubed and awesome. Later batch has a galvanized looking spring that sounds like ****, no lube and scratchy as hell.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 14:34:17 »
heh, quoted myself..
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 February 2019, 14:50:21 by wholypantalones »

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 17:35:06 »
What's everyone's experience with Gat blacks? I bought a batch about a month ago and they're nice and smooth.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 21:42:59 »
What's everyone's experience with Gat blacks? I bought a batch about a month ago and they're nice and smooth.

i like em

prefer yellows tho, i like the stock weight of them
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fer.real

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 21:59:00 »

Can confirm. I have two batches in my drawer, one from earlier last year and one from later in the year after the restock. The earlier batch has a gold colored spring and they're pre-lubed and awesome. Later batch has a galvanized looking spring that sounds like ****, no lube and scratchy as hell.

That's really a shame.  These came without lube and with a dull steel spring.  Why spend the money to retool if they're just going to let quality slide back to what it was?

I use Gateron Blacks and like them, very smooth.

Offline anantonton

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 00:56:46 »
I recently built a custom with MX RGB Black. My PCB does not have SMD LED nor underglow so there goes led for me (I didn't check if it supports 2x3x4 led until all the switches are soldered, stupid me, no key led no underglow, just like hhkb).

I find it too tiring and I kind of regret soldering them on my better PCB. I got 3 ping-y switches and accidentally soldered one on to my enter key.

I much prefer gat yellow for linear.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2019, 01:22:33 by anantonton »

Offline fer.real

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 09:18:11 »
What do people think of Cherry Silent Blacks?  Are they any less scratchy than regular blacks?