Author Topic: [IC] MACRO-1 (Rotary Encoder, Gasket Mounted)  (Read 44835 times)

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
[IC] MACRO-1 (Rotary Encoder, Gasket Mounted)
« on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 22:20:19 »
MACRO - 1
By Laneware Peripherals

Feedback Form

Details
Form Factor: Numpad
Layouts: Regular, Southpaw, Macropad
Angle: 7 Degrees
PCB: Type C, QMK/VIA, Rotary Encoder, Hotswap Option
Encoder: Press to Change Function
Plate: Aluminium 1.5mm
Cost: ~$175 USD
Weight: ~802g / 1.77lb

MACRO - 1 Kit Includes
Case: Annodized Aluminium Top and Bottom
Switch Plate: Annodizes Aluminium, 1.5mm
PCB: Supports Layouts Shown Below
Hardware: Screws, Bumpons, Encoder Knob

Prototype Images
PCB
Ft. GMK Oblivion V2
259644-0

CASES
Ft. GMK Oblivion V2
261894-1

261896-2

Ft. GMK Oblivion V2
261898-3

Ft. GMK Oblivion V2
261900-4

Ft. GMK Striker, RAMA Striker, RAMA Kuro/Shiro
261903-5

Ft. ePTB Kuro/Shiro, S-Craft Artesian
262097-6

Colorways
Bullet
257658-7

Monochrome
257660-8

Raindrop
257662-9

Cloud
259423-10

Guilded Cloud
259425-11

View Book
Under Side
257698-12

257701-13

259427-14

Mounting Method (Gasket)
257704-15

USB Location
257707-16

To be Populated

Layouts
Standard, Southpaw, Macropad
257696-17

PCB Design

Contact
My Personal Discord: LANEWARE#0468
Email: support@laneware.xyz
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2021, 19:11:18 by Laneware »

Offline bball2

Re: [IC] MACRO-1 (Rotary Encoder, Gasket Mounted)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 22:23:45 »
Looks great, form submitted!

Offline of_sam

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 22:25:36 »
Wasn't a huge fan of your Raindrop board. I like this off first glance. Price looks alright and I like the layout. Will keep an eye out. Not a fan of the gold.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline BeachFan69

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 22:29:34 »
Wow a gasket macropad, incredible!

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 22:36:38 »
Looks great, form submitted!

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 22:37:19 »
Wasn't a huge fan of your Raindrop board. I like this off first glance. Price looks alright and I like the layout. Will keep an eye out. Not a fan of the gold.

Thankyou for the feedback, hopefully I can win you over with this one  ;D

Offline Wasabiz

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 00:24:23 »
Looks good, agreed about the gold color - not a fan. Will look forward on the plate design.

Offline LenniO

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 00:24:50 »
Also not a fan of the gold. The all black one looks awesome tho. Also interested in all white :D

Gesendet von meinem ANE-LX1 mit Tapatalk

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 01:09:02 »
Looks good, agreed about the gold color - not a fan. Will look forward on the plate design.

Thanks for the feedback! What colored top would you like to see?

Offline Boxes

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 04:58:43 »
Looks very promising! Hope my feedback helps.

Offline lknockoutl

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 05:41:24 »
Looks great but bluetooth is missing  :-[

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 05:51:04 »
To balance things out a bit... Huge fan of the gold. Especially paired with a silver base.

Offline Inner-Ear

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 07:39:11 »
I'll take two to have one standard and one southpaw

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 08:11:14 »
Filled in the form!

If hotswap option is possible for the standard layout and a White color with Grey bottom, I'm in  :thumb:

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 16:48:47 »
Filled in the form!

If hotswap option is possible for the standard layout and a White color with Grey bottom, I'm in  :thumb:

White has been a very popular option on the feedback form, thanks for your feedback :D

Offline dibstern

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 19:52:13 »
Looks really nice!

Offline Wasabiz

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 07:47:38 »

Thanks for the feedback! What colored top would you like to see?

Filled in the IC form :)

Offline TPSM_00

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 08:22:14 »
I absolutely love this!, I can't wait to pick it up.

Offline keeganzero

• huhu
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 09:55:42 »
Looks promising.  If you can deliver at that price, I think this should be pretty successful.

The gold top looks a little odd, but may look a lot better in person.  I'll check back when you have a prototype to share.
Boards: F1-88, R1 KFE, IDB60, Cypher, HHKB Pro 2 Type-S, RF 87UW55, G80-1800, CM QFR

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 19:08:52 »
Looks promising.  If you can deliver at that price, I think this should be pretty successful.

The gold top looks a little odd, but may look a lot better in person.  I'll check back when you have a prototype to share.

Thanks! We are looking to have the first prototypes here by mid-late January, so keep your eyes peeled!

Offline Auracity

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 22:03:30 »
I **** with it. Hoping for a pastel colour option.

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 19:39:42 »
To balance things out a bit... Huge fan of the gold. Especially paired with a silver base.

Thankyou for the feedback! Silver has also been a very popular option on the feedback form, just behing black and white.

Offline AMAxyz

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 20:06:24 »
Form filled, discord joined, thread followed!

This is a really exciting numpad. Highly consider adding a hotswap option! Also personally not a huge fan of the logo on the bottom, but if I can't see it, and it makes you feel good as the product runner/designer, then I guess it's tolerable; however, would much prefer to have the name of the numpad "MACRO-1" on instead.

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 06:28:32 »
This looks good. Hopefully this becomes available soon.

Hopefully soon and in stock purchase, too much options shouldn't be an issue, i mean else would you want for a numpad.

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 18:41:38 »

Hopefully soon and in stock purchase, too much options shouldn't be an issue, i mean else would you want for a numpad.

Thanks :D We are looking to have our prototyping completed in the next month. Currently, we are considering offering an in stock option (~50 peices) of the most popular colorway, alongside a GB for all popular colorways from the feedback form.

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 09:45:15 »

Thanks :D We are looking to have our prototyping completed in the next month. Currently, we are considering offering an in stock option (~50 peices) of the most popular colorway, alongside a GB for all popular colorways from the feedback form.

That's great news! Please do ping on Discord so everyone have a chance on getting this. I hope to get in stock! Really excited for this.

Offline NoR1ceNoLife

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 22:30:43 »
Reserved!  I'm personally a fan of the monochrome one, but a white version would be really nice as well. Do you plan on having different colors for the encoder or just the rendered color?

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 22:58:21 »
Reserved!  I'm personally a fan of the monochrome one, but a white version would be really nice as well. Do you plan on having different colors for the encoder or just the rendered color?
We have ordered a selection of 6 different high quality knobs, 3 silver and 3 black, some blank on top, some with an arrow and some with a line. Based on this we will get feedback from the community and offer a single black and a single silver option.

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 02:43:28 »
You definitely have my attention. Form submitted. I’ve wanted a good number pad for a while. The rotary encoder, gasket mount, VIA, and design definitely interest me. I’m excited to see a prototype. Regarding hotswap, since it would prohibit multiple layouts, I’d prefer solderable PCBs as standard with the kit to keep the cost down if having multiple layouts supported is a priority. That being said, since I would do a standard num pad layout, I’d like to at least have the option for a standard layout plate to avoid extra holes/gaps, even if it costs more. A bit contradictory, I know, but it’s how I feel.

VIA would be incredible. Tbh I don’t understand the process of developing VIA compatibility, but I own a few boards pre-flashed with VIA compatible firmware and my god is it convenient.

Regarding the encoder knob, I prefer the idea of a blank top. Without a scale or hard stops, an indicator line or arrow doesn’t really make sense IMO. I do like the idea of knurling or ridges or something on the side though as rendered.

Regarding color, I’m easy. If the idea doesn’t offend you, I’d probably have the case sandblasted and cerakoted to match whatever key set I end up putting on it. As for the design, I like the top. Wouldn’t mind seeing a render with fillets, but the chamfer is nice. I’m not as big a fan of the bottom design. Between the screw holes, bumpons, and your logo, there’s a lot of ‘dots’ for lack of a better word. I’d personally prefer a blank bottom but understand wanting your logo on it, as I would if I were you. I’d suggest smaller and off center toward the bottom rather than in the center.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Happy holidays! I’m excited for this!

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 20 December 2020, 02:41:07 »
You definitely have my attention. Form submitted. I’ve wanted a good number pad for a while. The rotary encoder, gasket mount, VIA, and design definitely interest me. I’m excited to see a prototype. Regarding hotswap, since it would prohibit multiple layouts, I’d prefer solderable PCBs as standard with the kit to keep the cost down if having multiple layouts supported is a priority. That being said, since I would do a standard num pad layout, I’d like to at least have the option for a standard layout plate to avoid extra holes/gaps, even if it costs more. A bit contradictory, I know, but it’s how I feel.

VIA would be incredible. Tbh I don’t understand the process of developing VIA compatibility, but I own a few boards pre-flashed with VIA compatible firmware and my god is it convenient.

Regarding the encoder knob, I prefer the idea of a blank top. Without a scale or hard stops, an indicator line or arrow doesn’t really make sense IMO. I do like the idea of knurling or ridges or something on the side though as rendered.

Regarding color, I’m easy. If the idea doesn’t offend you, I’d probably have the case sandblasted and cerakoted to match whatever key set I end up putting on it. As for the design, I like the top. Wouldn’t mind seeing a render with fillets, but the chamfer is nice. I’m not as big a fan of the bottom design. Between the screw holes, bumpons, and your logo, there’s a lot of ‘dots’ for lack of a better word. I’d personally prefer a blank bottom but understand wanting your logo on it, as I would if I were you. I’d suggest smaller and off center toward the bottom rather than in the center.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Happy holidays! I’m excited for this!

Thanks for the awesome feedback! Besed on current feedback (250+), it's looking like we will offer all layouts on a standard solder type PCB and also the numpad as a hotswap option.

We are leaning towards a blank top encoder as well, although I can see the utility in a marking in knowing how far you have twisted the encoder for "X" output to happen. Either way, we will go with what ever option polls out (not yet added to the poll).

I'd love to see custom cerakoted builds! The uniqueness and people reflecting their personality through customisation if what initially drew me to this hobby :D

Happy Holidays to you as well!

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 10:16:06 »
I know now where to put my 2 Sirius.  ;D

Offline Novuna

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 19:13:48 »
Looks great, ++interested in hotswap availability - if offered I'd be a sure buyer.

I think the price and design are on point, excited to see the prototype.

Offline tommyhongg

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 19:17:49 »
a knob on this makes sense, I dig it.
Matrix Magic3 | Frog TKL

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 02:52:46 »
I know now where to put my 2 Sirius.  ;D
Perfect! I've got my two scout troopers lined up 😁

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 02:56:27 »
Looks great, ++interested in hotswap availability - if offered I'd be a sure buyer.

I think the price and design are on point, excited to see the prototype.

We will release the feedback results in the next week or so, but at this stage its looking like we will offer a hotswap option for the standard numpad layout 😁

Offline KeyRelic

• KeyRelic
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 03:34:52 »
I want this, but I'm not sure about the knob placement. For a right handed person, won't whole hand sit on keycaps all the time, not trying to push any of it while using the knob?

Offline DrSocha

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 07:19:58 »
Interested in white as well and dig the knob placement. I like to change switches often, since multi-layout hotswap PCB is becoming a thing splitting enter/plus keys wouldn't be a bad idea if there's enough interest. I'm still using stacked acrylic numpad so MACRO-1 might be the right choice. Good luck, looking forward to it.

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 22:11:54 »
I want this, but I'm not sure about the knob placement. For a right handed person, won't whole hand sit on keycaps all the time, not trying to push any of it while using the knob?

To us, it felt more natural and ergonomic to have the knob on the left and control the encoder with your index and thumb whilst supporting your hand with your pinky and ring finger on the sides of the case. Looking at other projects, I would say at a rough estimate, 70% of macropads have followed this same logic. We are however still in the prototyping phase, so if the feedback that we get back from testers is that it feels unatural, we may change it. Thanks for your input! :)

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 16:51:57 »
Interested in white as well and dig the knob placement. I like to change switches often, since multi-layout hotswap PCB is becoming a thing splitting enter/plus keys wouldn't be a bad idea if there's enough interest. I'm still using stacked acrylic numpad so MACRO-1 might be the right choice. Good luck, looking forward to it.
White has been very popular, thankyou for the feedback and support :D ! We have played around with the idea of offering multiple hotswap layouts on the one PCB, however there are overlaps between the 2u stabelizer holes and the 1u hotswap socket, see below image.

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 01:41:35 »
I feel like this is more numpad than macro pad right? I was confused for a sec when I saw "MACRO" and didn't see a macro pad.

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 02:40:17 »
Prototype PCB Render added and currently in production. The prototype will be black, this color will be polled upon arrival of the prototype.

Offline Tom Sparrow

• This is the way!
    • More stuff from me
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 04:19:48 »
I really like the design and I am a fan of your logo on the bottom. If you can achieve this price I happily interested!

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 04:23:18 »
I feel like this is more numpad than macro pad right? I was confused for a sec when I saw "MACRO" and didn't see a macro pad.

We chose to render the Numpad to make it obvious that it will fill both the macro pad and numpad demand. Our original intention was to make a large macro pad, so a 4x5 macropad that can double up as a numpad was the perfect choice for us :D

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 21:44:54 »
White colorway added by popular demand! Let us know your thoughts :D

Offline Frayne

• For deskmat inquiries: illu_zn
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 18:08:50 »
I am very interested in this, will it require soldering, or do we just put it together with screws?

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 18:49:57 »
I am very interested in this, will it require soldering, or do we just put it together with screws?

The standard option will require the switches and encoder to be soldered. The hotswap option will require no soldering.

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 19:42:35 »

To us, it felt more natural and ergonomic to have the knob on the left and control the encoder with your index and thumb whilst supporting your hand with your pinky and ring finger on the sides of the case. Looking at other projects, I would say at a rough estimate, 70% of macropads have followed this same logic. We are however still in the prototyping phase, so if the feedback that we get back from testers is that it feels unatural, we may change it. Thanks for your input! :)

This makes sense to me, as long as the pot tactile resistance isn't super stiff to push down on.

Digging this project, it looks great.

Offline Mickon

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 01:05:48 »
Hi! This is what i've been looking for! Just filled in the IC form. I wish this will be success! Also as mentioned in the form, if there is a bluetooth support, that will be awesome!

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 14:54:18 »
Update: We have just recieved our final quotes from our manufacturers. Unfortunatly, based on these quotes we have had to revise our estimated price point to $175 (Which we think is still an excellent price point for the product that we are offering). It is significantly more expensive to manufacture today than what it was when we produced our Raindrop keyboard in May of last year and we underestimated just how much this cost has increased. This is due to three main causes:

-The price of raw material has risen over 33%
-The price of electrical components have sky rocketed, as an example, our PCB manufacturer has increased the price of micro controllers by 250% due to supply and demand issues
-The exchange rate between RMB and UDS has gone up 10% (The USD is buying 10% less RMB)

We appreciate everyones feedback to date and hope to see your continued support in bringing this project to life. Thanks again and stay safe!
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 January 2021, 15:32:58 by Laneware »

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 15:44:40 »
From 99 USD to 175 USD?!

Unfortunately that's too expensive for me.  :(

Good luck anyway.