Author Topic: Forum formatting  (Read 2545 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Forum formatting
« on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 14:28:27 »
Can someone please move the artisan forums up so it's right under the vendor forums. Right now it just looks sloppy and is slightly inconvenient with the 3 other subs between it. This way people can see any new artisan posts without having to scan through all those lines. It's just bad formatting.

Also, Auction Links could easily be a subforum in the Great Finds section. It doesn't get a lot of traffic anyway(yes I realize it's new, point still stands) and seems like it's just taking lines space on the main page. While it's utility and reasoning for separating the two makes sense, what doesn't is separating two things that are so similar especially when one of those subs is drastically less popular. Again, sloppy formatting IMO.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:05:01 by noisyturtle »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Artisan forums
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:41:38 »
Also, Auction Links could easily be a subforum in the Great Finds section. It doesn't get a lot of traffic anyway(yes I realize it's new, point still stands) and seems like it's just taking lines space on the main page. While it's utility and reasoning for separating the two makes sense, what doesn't is separating two things that are so similar especially when one of those subs is drastically less popular. Again, sloppy formatting IMO.

Auction links should be in classifieds not great finds. People who post the auctions own the items being sold, much like classifieds, and unlike great finds

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:48:30 »
Well the only issue I see there is whether or not the auctions are self-promoting or just pointing out an item of interest. Honestly auctions could be stickied in either one of those, but classifieds already gets heavy traffic and would feel cluttered with another addition which is why I suggested putting it back in Great Finds. Perhaps in the next few weeks it'll really pick up and have some great content at which point I'll take it all back, but right now it just doesn't feel fleshed out enough to deserve it's own sub forum.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:50:54 »
Well the only issue I see there is whether or not the auctions are self-promoting or just pointing out an item of interest. Honestly auctions could be stickied in either one of those, but classifieds already gets heavy traffic and would feel cluttered with another addition which is why I suggested putting it back in Great Finds. Perhaps in the next few weeks it'll really pick up and have some great content at which point I'll take it all back, but right now it just doesn't feel fleshed out enough to deserve it's own sub forum.

The way I understood the auctions thread is only for people to share their own auctions since auctions are not allowed here anymore.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:04:08 »

The way I understood the auctions thread is only for people to share their own auctions since auctions are not allowed here anymore.

But I can't post an auction thread in the Auctions section directly as one would've in the Classifieds, you must link to to Ebay or equivalent. That's the same as with Great Finds posts linking to an Ebay item, so they seem synonymous to me. Chances are the seller identifies themselves anyway if they are a member of this community.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:05:05 »
I thought 'Auction Links' were for member auctions, linking to an outside auction of your own.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Forum formatting
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:16:20 »
Spamray and Bro Caps are correct.  We decided to stop allowing auctions to be run on the forum, but allow you to post links to your own auctions run on external sites.  GF is for any deal or interesting item, on ebay or elsewhere.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:16:54 »
ninja'd by hash  :-*

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 17:00:39 »
Spamray and Bro Caps are correct.  We decided to stop allowing auctions to be run on the forum, but allow you to post links to your own auctions run on external sites.  GF is for any deal or interesting item, on ebay or elsewhere.

So then back to the original topic: what about the consolidation of Marketplace subs and reformatting for a more readable look?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 17:04:31 »

So then back to the original topic: what about the consolidation of Marketplace subs and reformatting for a more readable look?

I suggested this a long time back............................................

Yes, we can change the wording, but the format makes more sense. Too much clutter in the marketplace sub

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 17:12:48 »
Yes, exactly. Even just with the additional headers it looks cleaner. Even cleaner with sub-headers stickied inside their parent threads.