Author Topic: Source for custom keycap stickers / decals  (Read 7000 times)

Offline Sigmoid

Source for custom keycap stickers / decals
« on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 10:11:00 »
I'm looking for something very specific... I want to relabel a few keycaps on an old IBM Model F keyboard. Getting new keycaps is not an option, as these center stepped key shapes are unobtainium - I could 3d print them, but it would take multiple tries to get it right, and then it's still not labeled.

Good thing that the finger area is the same as any 1u IBM keycap. There are a few companies making high quality stickers / decals for various keyboards, including IBM / Unicomp Model Ms.. However, they market to organizational clients, and do not even reply to small batch queries. I have heard the same from many people, and tried myself. They just don't reply.

I did find someone on Etsy who does custom 3M vinyl decals (https://www.etsy.com/shop/VinyICustoms), but they list "cherry MX keycaps" only. I have no idea if that size would fit an IBM key well - any thoughts, or alternative resources?

Offline Janeiac

Re: Source for custom keycap stickers / decals
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 16:07:20 »
This artisan on Etsy makes individual, custom IBM BS keycaps:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DecentKeyboards?section_id=15982549&ref=shopsection_leftnav_7

I think the pictures look great, and I plan to order some myself once I sort out my key map plan.  His ready-made model M caps will fit a model F and are only $5. I love the Windows 3.1 one.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2015, 16:09:49 by Janeiac »

Offline Sigmoid

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 18:52:24 »
His ready-made model M caps will fit a model F and are only $5. I love the Windows 3.1 one.

If only it was that easy. :)

100074-0
2u center stemmed stepped. Nobody makes them. Nothing can replace them.

Offline Janeiac

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 04:14:36 »
The page says, "made to order customization available" and there is a button to click to inquire. It's free to ask, just send him a picture.