Author Topic: Blues might be too light  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Roner

Blues might be too light
« on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 06:08:36 »
Ive been considering getting greens for a couple months as blues are my favourite(dont personally own blues but have tried them on some friend's keyboard's) but i feel like their too light(I come from reds) would greens be too stiff for me if i consider blues light?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Blues might be too light
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 07:01:21 »
Give them a shot. And give yourself time to get used to them.

You can get all the opinions on GH and it still comes down to how you feel after a couple weeks usage.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 08:53:18 »
Hellow fellow clicky lover!

I used to be in the same position, where blues are too light
Went with greens, love it but then when I moved to customized switches changing blues spring to aftermarket 68g is the best for me
nonetheless give green a try, they're widely available now

however currently I'm in love with Gateron blues, you might wanna consider them
they're more clicky especially if you change to heavier springs
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 09:35:02 »
Does anybody game with jailhouse blues or greens?

I am not a gamer, but it seems like the high actuation point would be an advantage.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 09:43:01 »

I am not a gamer, but it seems like the high actuation point would be an advantage.
I do, and thats only because my hand really can't handle any other switch

Actually most gamer prefer red due to shorter actuation
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 09:44:44 »
I play games with my kmac which has greens. It's all right. I like it for certain games. I find for anything where I have to hold down wasd, it can get tiring.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 13:31:25 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:21:57 by alienman82 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 14:07:57 »
Have you considered buckling springs or Alps? They're both around 70 g which is fairly but not exhaustively stiff, and they both make a much nicer sound than Cherries :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline JoeUser

• If you're a geek you use mechanical. Period.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 16:56:44 »
Find a Laser keyboard with some SMK switches. Best clicky switches in the world I think. Shorter travel, more stiff, more pronounced click.

I'd sell you mind but it's a bit...ummm...customized...

Currently using an old school Laser keyboard. Double shots with SMK's. $2 at the thrift store!

My HEATWARE 76-0-0

Offline Roner

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 00:29:17 »
Hellow fellow clicky lover!

I used to be in the same position, where blues are too light
Went with greens, love it but then when I moved to customized switches changing blues spring to aftermarket 68g is the best for me
nonetheless give green a try, they're widely available now

however currently I'm in love with Gateron blues, you might wanna consider them
they're more clicky especially if you change to heavier springs
I was thinking about gateron blues but i cant live without slight resistance (read many reviews on the lubed and stickered mx's and i think thats the thing i want)

Offline Roner

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 00:29:47 »

I have seen the review but i dont think i could live without the bump haha.

Offline Roner

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 00:30:54 »
I play games with my kmac which has greens. It's all right. I like it for certain games. I find for anything where I have to hold down wasd, it can get tiring.
How do you like it for typing?

Offline Roner

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 00:31:51 »
Have you considered buckling springs or Alps? They're both around 70 g which is fairly but not exhaustively stiff, and they both make a much nicer sound than Cherries :) .
I would like to try buckling springs but have not considered Alps at all. I feel like i want Greens cause i like blues but want it to be more stiff.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 13:48:47 »
I would like to try buckling springs but have not considered Alps at all. I feel like i want Greens cause i like blues but want it to be more stiff.

Definitely buckling spring.  Maybe you will come across one sometime soon.  I hope you do!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 13:49:31 »
Here's the thing..

Originally, I thought all Cherry MX keys were on the -Light- side.

However..  Eventually, after I got "FAST"...

I realized,  the lighter the better.

Offline Roner

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 15:49:44 »

Definitely buckling spring.  Maybe you will come across one sometime soon.  I hope you do!
Was thinking about a model m soon but i dont wanna deal with bolt modding if the rivets are messed up etc.

Offline Roner

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 15:50:02 »
Here's the thing..

Originally, I thought all Cherry MX keys were on the -Light- side.

However..  Eventually, after I got "FAST"...

I realized,  the lighter the better.
Do you touch type then?

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 16:43:42 »

They are heavier to initially press, but because cherry is 100% linear always, there is a totally different feel after. Especially if you have to hold any of WASD down. Other actually tactile switches may need more weight initially, but whatever caused the real tactility is usually fallen away and it is then easy to hold in place. This includes Space Invaders, Buckling Springs, and Alps. All of which I find better for the same reasons.

Cherry Green you might find to be a little better, but because they are linear they will have the greatest pressback at where you'd be holding them in place.

I find that it almost seems I'm typing directly on metal because of how weak cherry blues are, and somehow clears are much the same while typing, but something like the opposite when trying to hold it down. I don't like any of them.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Roner

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 19:02:55 »

They are heavier to initially press, but because cherry is 100% linear always, there is a totally different feel after. Especially if you have to hold any of WASD down. Other actually tactile switches may need more weight initially, but whatever caused the real tactility is usually fallen away and it is then easy to hold in place. This includes Space Invaders, Buckling Springs, and Alps. All of which I find better for the same reasons.

Cherry Green you might find to be a little better, but because they are linear they will have the greatest pressback at where you'd be holding them in place.

I find that it almost seems I'm typing directly on metal because of how weak cherry blues are, and somehow clears are much the same while typing, but something like the opposite when trying to hold it down. I don't like any of them.
So what would you recommend me if i liked greens? cause im about to buy greens from somewhere

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 19:37:48 »
So what would you recommend me if i liked greens?

The thinnest, softest O-rings that you can find.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 19:42:59 »

So what would you recommend me if i liked greens? cause im about to buy greens from somewhere

IBM F AT.  That or if you find one for a decent price, an Unsaver layout F.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Den441

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 20:18:11 »
I find blues to be too light for me as well. Especially after using BS for awhile. I highly recommend greens. I got used to them within a couple days, and now I don't even find them to be that heavy for my weak fingers.
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 21:29:13 »
You'll never know til you try them for yourself. This reasoning could cut out at least a quarter of new topics here
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Roner

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 21:52:14 »
You'll never know til you try them for yourself. This reasoning could cut out at least a quarter of new topics here
Thats true. I really want to try them now haha.

Offline SL89

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 21:54:02 »
Get greens, I tried Blues for exactly a minute before I realized I needed something more. At some point I'll mod some greens to be over 100g. But i cannot recommend greens enough.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:09:27 »
So what would you recommend me if i liked greens?

The thinnest, softest O-rings that you can find.

A switch with actual tactility instead. The Orings might help some though.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:18:30 »
My whole Race1 is red, but WASDR, control, shift, spacebar are jailhouse blues + double orings. The shortest tap to register the keys.
Personally, I don't like MX blue, but I can't feel the clicks, when I'm inside the game ;D
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 July 2015, 18:21:54 by quake4mhg »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 23:34:06 »
My whole Race1 is red, but WASDR, control, shift, spacebar are jailhouse blues + double orings. The shortest tap to register the keys.
Personally, I don't like MX blue, but I can't feel the clicks, when I'm inside the game ;D

Orings don't effect distance to actuation, that is just from the jailhouse mod.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 00:02:07 »
It reduces the bottom out distance :D