Author Topic: Hey Everyone  (Read 3013 times)

Offline kutty7

Hey Everyone
« on: Wed, 19 July 2023, 12:56:41 »
Hi guys,

I am new to the hobby and need some advice on where to start. Any help would be great, especially for entry level stuff I can learn on. Thanks for your help and support.

Cheers,
Kutty

Offline HubertThemad

• * St. Jude Supporter
Re: Hey Everyone
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 July 2023, 10:46:33 »
Hello and welcome to the hobby!

Two pieces of advice:

This hobby is very much preference-based. Someone may absolutely love a board, switch, or way of doing things, and someone may absolutely hate that same board, switch, or way of doing things.

If you like something, don't feel bad if someone says they don't like what you like!

Second piece of advice is to soak it all in, and don't feel like you're asking too many questions. The more you know and learn, the more you can form your own opinions. Watch keyboard streams or videos is probably my advice, because the subject material can be a bit dry at times. Of course, reading articles or reddit posts/blogs is also useful.

In terms of where to actually go... Well, I watch Alexotos streams for good feelings and a general positive/friendly atmosphere and keyboard lingo is easy to understand. LightningXI (Diego) streams for solid build streams, and Blacksimon streams (mostly group buy reviews on Saturdays) for info about current GBs and news in the hobby.

There are many other streamers that offer fantastic value, but those are the three I watch regularly whenever I can (or their VODs on YouTube).

Blacksimon has a nice educational series (keyboards A to Z) and other vids as well. The Linus Tech Tips video about keyboards is a decent intro in my opinion. But no matter where you go, just keep asking questions!