Author Topic: Build Small KB from scratch - or strip components from existing KB?  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Wal

Hello all,

Total noob here.  I'm thinking about dipping my toe in and building a little control keyboard for my CNC machine - something that can live next to the bed of the table.

A number pad/cursor mini keyboard would do most of what I want, but not quite.  Then there's the Keychron Q series which looks promising, but not sure on compatibility with Linux (with mixed advice from Keychron themselves...)  I've also ordered one of those blank programmable keyboards in from China - again, looks good, but not sure on how well it'll work.  I'm quite happy to have a go myself and self build - seems like a neat little project tbh.

I have the ability to make my own box along with any PCBs required etc. just after a few pointers towards making a USB keyboard which essentially behaves like a basic off-the-shelf keyboard, except I choose the keys I want to include and lay them out according to what best suits my workflow.

As far as the components go - can I dismantle an old keyboard and use bits from that, or am I better off starting from scratch and buying in the bits and pieces I'll be needing?

Thanks for any advice!

Wal.

Offline Wal

Re: Build Small KB from scratch - or strip components from existing KB?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 August 2023, 07:38:13 »
So my Chinese programmable keyboard arrived the other day.

What can I say - it's excellent!  Programmable via a web page (sayodevice.com) - a very straightforward process.

Keycaps are blank, but once I'm happy with the layout I'll take it to a local printer who can UV print the relevant characters onto it.

Supports up to 5 layers (FN1/2/3/4) with individual control over led colours etc.  Macros too.  Pretty cool.

I wonder what PCB it uses?

I'll still make my own as ideally I'd like a basic 28 key keyboard without the need to use layers - but this is certainly a very cool little kb!

Wal.