Author Topic: Third times the charm  (Read 1775 times)

Offline ac2ev

Third times the charm
« on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 19:02:41 »
After much searching asking around I got my official IBM Model M unmodified.
9/10 in condition and only missing the F7 keycap (already got one on the way) Price: Free

I have Lexmark Model M (1st keyboard) also from 1994. I'll probably get chastised but it's modified. I put a small USB B hole next to the SDL connector. I know it wasn't my best idea. It was several years ago and the keyboard was free. Don't worry the IBM won't suffer the same fate.

But my weird one is a Micro BTC-5339 (2nd keyboard). I haven't used it much but the feel isn't all that great. Doing some research it's got what you guys call doubleshot key caps. Which is nice because it was used in an industrial area and took forever to clean.

So Hi to you all and thanks for all the great info on the awesome keyboards.

At some point I may perform the bolt mod but currently all my "rivets" are intact.

Offline ac2ev

Re: Third times the charm
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 20:45:31 »
Pictures of the BTC-5339

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 20:48:27 »
Welcome!

The BTC keyboard is a rubber dome, which explains why it doesn't feel so great :))

You could keep most of the keycaps if you wanted, though they don't seem to high in quality. I had a later BTC board to harvest for those interesting sliders but ended up just trashing it.

Nice get with the IBM keyboard! The 1391401 was one of my first real mechanical keyboards :D

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 00:24:06 »
Info about two-shot moulding is at the bottom of the design section and includes an example photo of keycaps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_moulding#Mould_design

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 03:26:49 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

After using buckling springs keyboards, most other keyboards will feel a bit mushy :))

Often the easiest way to clean keycaps is to soak then in denture tabs (according to the instructions - warm water and about 2 or 3 tabs for a full set).  The case can be disassembled and scrubbed in warm soapy water (what I do - worked fro me so far).

Also Phorphorglow sells replacement Model M controllers with USB that replace the standard SDL controller and have the USB port where the SDL port was - no need to modify the case.  Might be an option for your IBM Model M.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ