Author Topic: [IC] GMK Houhai 后海 - LIVE AUGUST 1  (Read 150922 times)

Offline Hyphen

Re: [IC] GMK Houhai 后海 - Kit Updates and New Poll!
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 03:42:20 »
The fact that there's a hotpot novelty. I'd be all in just for that alone! I guess I can go ahead and add this group buy to the list of reasons I can't wait to be out of 2020 and into 2021.

Offline q83n87

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 04:42:10 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 April 2021, 04:59:24 by q83n87 »

Offline MortyGoldy

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 11:44:45 »
Super cool set and LOVE the colors!

Some of the Mods (The 'Stroke Order Kit') aren't shown on the IC, don't know if that was intentional or not?  Those are by far the ones I am most excited about, followed very closely by the novelties.

Keep up the good work and can't wait to put in an order!

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 00:22:19 »
I'm from Beijing, went to high school next door to Houhai.
I will gobble up all keysets and merch in the GB.
THANK YOU FOR THIS

also a request, could you render a red TGR Alice? Thanks!!!

Offline tentboy

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 07:15:40 »
haven't been paying much attention to sets the last few months but im def in for this

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 18:26:25 »
Hey y'all, should have an update on this very soon. I'm hoping this weekend. And I would love to have a TGR Alice to work with, but I don't have access to STLs for that board. If someone else has a connect, feel free to make an introduction! I would love to have that board, or anything from TGR, as a render.

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 00:58:02 »
Please, yes and also yes please. This could be my new daily.

Offline santela

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 01:36:50 »
Hey y'all, should have an update on this very soon. I'm hoping this weekend. And I would love to have a TGR Alice to work with, but I don't have access to STLs for that board. If someone else has a connect, feel free to make an introduction! I would love to have that board, or anything from TGR, as a render.

Is the update on Houhai or Cangjie WoB? I remember you saying Cangjie WoB will come before Houhai on reddit?

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 13:31:39 »

Is the update on Houhai or Cangjie WoB? I remember you saying Cangjie WoB will come before Houhai on reddit?

The updates are interrelated, so you can expect both. And yes, Cangjie WoB has vendors and a GB window, and will come first.

Offline santela

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 22:15:45 »

The updates are interrelated, so you can expect both. And yes, Cangjie WoB has vendors and a GB window, and will come first.

Nice, looking forward to it!

Offline sheepish.alpaca

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 01:49:29 »
Couple thoughts that I didn't see in the thread so far:

The blue on N9(?) for the shift modifiers is too hard to make out, as there's not enough contrast between the foreground and the background.

Also, the blue on red for the Esc/Del keys should be changed if the renders are anything to go by, since the brightness of the two colors are too close to each other. If I could recommend using yellow (#F7DC1E) instead? (Closest Pantone color for GMK is 107 C: https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/107-C)
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 August 2020, 01:52:36 by sheepish.alpaca »

Offline marineking

« Reply #161 on: Thu, 13 August 2020, 02:48:35 »
This is awesome. We've seen too many Japanese characters on the key caps, a few Korean and Russian ones, but never Chinese characters. Congrats on the upcoming launch!

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 05:23:14 »
I met the girl who would become my wife, in Beijing.

Thank you for this. It’s a must buy.

But gimme an ortho mods set pretty please  ;D

Offline cadrev

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 14:08:13 »
Is it possible to get 1 more 1u R3 novelty? Side macros have been popular lately like the J-01 and Quefrency and Sinc and an additional 1u on R3 seems ideal. But I do understand if its going to be too much of a hassle.

Offline online

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 17:14:09 »
I was excited to see this set, until I saw the simplified Chinese mod paired with traditional Chinese alpha. I understand the reason behind it, but it just makes me think of ‘westernised’ chinese food. No offence.

I would definitely join if there’s a traditional Chinese mod kit - which Probably wouldn’t happen due to the cost.

Offline santela

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 02:44:45 »
I was excited to see this set, until I saw the simplified Chinese mod paired with traditional Chinese alpha. I understand the reason behind it, but it just makes me think of ‘westernised’ chinese food. No offence.

I would definitely join if there’s a traditional Chinese mod kit - which Probably wouldn’t happen due to the cost.

Read his replies, he said traditional Chinese mod will be available for the WoB set.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 10:52:12 »
Anything available in the WoB set will be, in all likelihood, available in Houhai. If we can get all the molds made using simple stock colors, I see no reason not to use them for the Houhai set for those who want them. I finished the Trad legends with Nathanalphaman last month and they look NICE. I took great care to ensure that there are alternate keys even when a stroke is at a slightly different angle or position in trad vs. SC as sometimes happens, not just when the character has additional strokes. I'll probably keep them on my personal board whenever they run.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. Trad is not necessarily something that matches the Houhai theme, but there's no reason not to make an effort to include it, especially in the WoB set, called GMK Shanshui, where it looks magnificent.

Really hoping to get the Shanshui IC off the ground this weekend. My partner has been a busy boy!

Offline friedtofu

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 19:21:02 »
We can't wait!! Thank you for providing this set and the Shanshui!

Anything available in the WoB set will be, in all likelihood, available in Houhai. If we can get all the molds made using simple stock colors, I see no reason not to use them for the Houhai set for those who want them. I finished the Trad legends with Nathanalphaman last month and they look NICE. I took great care to ensure that there are alternate keys even when a stroke is at a slightly different angle or position in trad vs. SC as sometimes happens, not just when the character has additional strokes. I'll probably keep them on my personal board whenever they run.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. Trad is not necessarily something that matches the Houhai theme, but there's no reason not to make an effort to include it, especially in the WoB set, called GMK Shanshui, where it looks magnificent.

Really hoping to get the Shanshui IC off the ground this weekend. My partner has been a busy boy!

Offline santela

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 19 August 2020, 20:42:06 »

Finally some updates! Looking forward to this.

Offline whaetlylu

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 20 August 2020, 01:59:33 »
Hope for GB

Offline AvoidingYou

« Reply #170 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 16:32:10 »
Is the GB info on Keycapsets correct? Is the date of the gb?! 12/31? Feels like forever but it'll come fast.

Offline santela

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 27 August 2020, 23:05:25 »

Have you had the chance to get the Shanshui IC out? Can't wait for it!

Offline agentPAX

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 28 August 2020, 01:35:46 »
The novelties are so freaking cute!  Makes me nostalgic for Beijing.
Plum 75 | K780

Offline tufu

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 29 August 2020, 01:42:46 »
Colors and Chinese characters look amazing. Love it!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 08:31:48 »
Update tonight or tomorrow  :eek:

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 09:00:17 »

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 06:10:47 »
I will buy everything and hopefully the set will launch with a RAMA, end game set for me

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 08:46:13 »
Hi everyone, in case you hadn't seen, there's an update on this set: NathanAlphaMan and I will be running a predecessor set on Cannonkeys and other vendors around the world in early 2021. GMK Shanshui is a WoB set with Cangjie Chinese alphas and full Chinese text legends in both Simplified and Traditional Chinese. It's a completely different theme, but because of the cost of producing the large number of molds for these sets, and Houhai's many custom RAL colors, we needed a stock color set to make it economically viable first.

GMK Shanshui IC

Now, Shanshui is a completely different set with a distinctive theme all its own, and it might not appeal to people who prefer loud, cyberpunk-style sets like Houhai. As for me, I love all different kinds of sets, and I hope many people in the community have space in their hearts for both. On my desk and shelf are boards covered with Bingsu, Laser, Olivia, Vaporwave, Kuro/Shiro, and HFO. As Walt Whitman said, very well, I contradict myself; I contain multitudes.

In any case, I hope you love Shanshui as much as we do. The best way to make Houhai a reality is to support Shanshui. At least one other great designer has asked to use the Cangjie legends we created, so they will live on, and they will be used to make Houhai, provided we can make the case to our vendors to run Houhai later on in 2021. Let them know!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 25 September 2020, 12:29:19 »

« Last Edit: Fri, 25 September 2020, 12:50:52 by grundlemere »

Offline Masticccc

Re: [IC] GMK Houhai 后海 - GB Timeframe Announced
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 11:36:52 »
Before I remember Houhai gb time frame was January 2021. So this set is delayed and Shanshui replace on that time frame instead?

Offline arydi

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 01:10:00 »
It reminds me a bit of GMK High Voltage.  But I do like it.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 10:08:05 »
Before I remember Houhai gb time frame was January 2021. So this set is delayed and Shanshui replace on that time frame instead?

That's right. The business minds better than I decided it was too expensive to do molds and custom colors at the same time, so we will do Shanshui first, then Houhai, which will now start May 31 2021.

Offline Firebear31

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 04:06:16 »
Hi grundlemere,
I just wanted to tell you how cool this set is and I'm definitely looking forward to buy this set including the novelties (thanks for including ISO!).
Really digging the color scheme. Made an account just to tell you.
Now I have an excuse to build my GF a mechanical keyboard and I can use the novelkeys for my black/gold dragon theme keyboard. :D
I bet she will love it as she writes lots of chinese fanfic lol.

I was always wondering why there are so many japanese keycap sets yet literally no chinese ones lol.

Keep up the cool work!

Offline lanyusea

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 07:11:21 »
I cannot help laughing when saw the "老外" kit.

realllly nice design!
love it!
HHKB Type-s / 4x KMAC Happy / 3x Duck Viper v1 / 2x Duck Viper v2 / 4x Duck Viper Duck TCV3 / Red Scarf 77 / 2x Infinity 60 / 2x ALF HHKB / LZ-CE / FJELL / Canoe / Canoe PC / Canoe FE / ARES Prototype / 2x Ares / LC-CLSh / TX60 / YODA2 / E6-V2 / E6-V2 FE / CAMP LC60 / 2x EM 7 / 4x Leaf 60 / UHK / Project F / Polaris / 4x Duck Viper v3 / TX60 v2 / Thermal / Matrix Falcon / TX60 v3 / 2x TMO50 / 2x Dolice / Dolphin 65 / Dolphin 60 / Plenty of keycaps

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 11:07:28 »
Hi grundlemere,
I just wanted to tell you how cool this set is and I'm definitely looking forward to buy this set including the novelties (thanks for including ISO!).
Really digging the color scheme. Made an account just to tell you.
Now I have an excuse to build my GF a mechanical keyboard and I can use the novelkeys for my black/gold dragon theme keyboard. :D
I bet she will love it as she writes lots of chinese fanfic lol.

I was always wondering why there are so many japanese keycap sets yet literally no chinese ones lol.

Keep up the cool work!

Thank you FireBear! I wondered the same thing, which is what made me design this. I would love to see your keyboard that you made for her when you get a chance! I really appreciate the support.

Offline UberPlatypus

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 21:36:55 »
Will be buying this kit. The idea that I want the base, novelties, symbol caps, and space bars scares me.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 10:31:37 »
Will be buying this kit. The idea that I want the base, novelties, symbol caps, and space bars scares me.

Lol I sincerely apologize. I think the craving is going to get worse when the new renders come out.

Offline zeejet

« Reply #187 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 12:36:15 »
Don't like Simplified Chinese
Simplified Chinese is not even real Chinese

I can see where you're coming from but for a set inspired by modern China (Beijing specifically), simplified is how most people in the mainland learn to write. Traditional does look better and has richer cultural context for calligraphy, but on a keyboard I think it tends to look chaotic. There's a reason Hangul and Hiragana/Katakana look good as sublegends and it's due to the simplicity. Chinese has no real alphabet system so it's hard enough as it is. Not a lot of custom Chinese keycaps out there.

Here is a more in depth guide to available Chinese input methods: http://xahlee.info/kbd/chinese_input_methods.html

I think the Taiwanese version with radicals (Zhuyin system) is most analogous to other East Asian alphabets, but I have yet to see any custom keycap sets designed with these subs. This IC and the aforementioned Shanshui are in the Cangjie system. I think it looks more "Chinese" vs. the Zhuyin radical system.

In any case, I'm excited by the color palette and the fact that I, as a Chinese-American, finally get the chance to use Chinese keycaps (even if they are probably going to be largely ornamental for me).
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2020, 12:47:13 by zeejet »

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #188 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 13:45:58 »
I think the Taiwanese version with radicals (Zhuyin system) is most analogous to other East Asian alphabets, but I have yet to see any custom keycap sets designed with these subs.

Not to derail this thread, but you might be interested in GMK Zhuyin, which ran in February, or KAT Monochrome, which ran just over a month ago.  The former is an add-on kit which adds Zhuyin sublegends to a standard ANSI GMK set; the latter included Zhuyin monolegends as an option.

Unlike kana input, which is a minority preference even in Japan, it is my understanding that in Taiwan, zhuyin is the preferred input method amongst native speakers of Chinese.  For this reason, I would love to see more zhuyin sublegend and monolegend sets out there!

This IC and the aforementioned Shanshui are in the Cangjie system. I think it looks more "Chinese" vs. the Zhuyin radical system.

From an aesthetic point of view, I’m inclined to agree, and I’m very excited for these two sets.  I’ve been trying to learn the Cangjie system in preparation for GMK Shanshui’s release, and it’s a very cool system, although I must say I find Zhuyin input much easier to use as a non-native speaker of Chinese. At any rate, I am excited to see both of these input methods gain traction in the community!

Regarding simplified vs. traditional characters, grundlemere has put an incredible amount of effort into supporting both writing systems fully and effectively, and this despite his main interest and experience being with simplified characters as used in mainland China, so I think we are past the point of needing to complain about simplified vs. traditional now. As someone who is learning Taiwanese Mandarin, I am just grateful that he went out of his way to include support at all, and having done so, that he went the extra mile to make sure he got it right (see previous posts about the extremely minor changes in characters like 火 and 女 for examples of this).

Offline zeejet

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 14:19:40 »
Thanks for the reference to the Zhuyin set! Just glad to see Han subs getting some love among all the other East Asian sub keysets.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 15:10:52 »
Zeejet, I love your set! My work will always build on yours. I simply love the complexity of Chinese characters and am really looking forward to getting Cangjie and full mods out there, admittedly mostly for decorative purposes. Zhuyin is truly useful.

Offline Kojin

« Reply #191 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 10:11:41 »
Hi there. I would really like to buy this one and saw this one on keycapsets.com. Is this a trustworthy site or should I look for another one. Sorry if I sound rude or impolite I am very new to the keyboard scene and would really like this to be my first keycap set because it is beautiful!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #192 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 11:58:27 »
Hi there. I would really like to buy this one and saw this one on keycapsets.com. Is this a trustworthy site or should I look for another one. Sorry if I sound rude or impolite I am very new to the keyboard scene and would really like this to be my first keycap set because it is beautiful!

Hi Kojin! That site is trustworthy, but it is not a vendor site and no sales will be conducted there. It's just an aggregator for information about keyset group buys. The vendor list is on the main post, with CannonKeys leading in the US. Which region are you in, so I can tell you which vendor will be selling the keyset beginning in May?

Offline grundlemere

Re: [IC] GMK Houhai 后海 - Retooled Legends
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 12:43:17 »
Hi everyone! Just wanted to make sure you saw the retooled legends for this set.

After submitting the original renders and legends to GMK for the predecessor set Shanshui, we were expecting some notes on necessary adjustments to meet their mold tooling specs, but were told, basically, try again. I've spent the last couple of weeks completely overhauling the legends to meet the specs: adding cutaways to minute interior spaces, broadening strokes, narrowing and straightening negative space, rounding corners, and in a few cases, simplifying elements altogether.

More detail in the main post and over on the Shanshui IC.

Here's a link to download a full-size image and view all the detail

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 15:40:08 »
It's nice to know I'll have over a year to find a good yellow keyboard to put this on.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #195 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 16:53:20 »
It's nice to know I'll have over a year to find a good yellow keyboard to put this on.

Honestly I'm so mad at myself for not getting the e8.5 in e-yellow. We are thinking on the same wavelength. Can't wait to see what you end up doing with your setup!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 08:23:18 »
Updated legend map with corrected SC numpad characters and correct background color

Limk to full-size image

Offline Alessio

• YT Channel
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 23 November 2020, 17:40:14 »
no

Offline powwu

• Discord

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 07:40:12 »