Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nautilus 2 | GB LIVE!  (Read 75165 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: [IC] GMK Nautilus 2
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 01:52:16 »
Fair enough, I will think about it. And just for future reference, what I won't be adding (for sure) would be R2, R3, R4 Insert and Deletes. I think we have to draw the line with the Home and End.

Agree with this. "Home" and "End" is enough for this keyset, no any necessary to add more "Insert" and "Delete" - they're too much in some keysets, but they're really uncommon keys.
I believe that you can put this keys into Nautilus set when most other people choosing standard keys for their keysets.

Actually, sometimes I think that "PgUp" and "PgDn" are uncommon too and I'd prefer to see more "Home" and "End" keys for different rows instead of "Insert", "Del", "PgUp" and "PgDn".
But it's only my opinion, of course.

Let us all remember that sets do need Delete on R2 (TKL and full size) and R1 (75%, 65% and some 1800-like layouts).  :thumb:

what if you just programmed the keyboard to match the keys you have on hand

i've never understood this need for nav keys in 15 different profiles
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 06:16:49 »
Fair enough, I will think about it. And just for future reference, what I won't be adding (for sure) would be R2, R3, R4 Insert and Deletes. I think we have to draw the line with the Home and End.

Agree with this. "Home" and "End" is enough for this keyset, no any necessary to add more "Insert" and "Delete" - they're too much in some keysets, but they're really uncommon keys.
I believe that you can put this keys into Nautilus set when most other people choosing standard keys for their keysets.

Actually, sometimes I think that "PgUp" and "PgDn" are uncommon too and I'd prefer to see more "Home" and "End" keys for different rows instead of "Insert", "Del", "PgUp" and "PgDn".
But it's only my opinion, of course.

Let us all remember that sets do need Delete on R2 (TKL and full size) and R1 (75%, 65% and some 1800-like layouts).  :thumb:

Imagine if the keyboards came in a standard form factor, a standard physical layout, and a standard logical layout on top, so everyone could know exactly what key went where.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:14:10 »
Nice ! I’d like the submarine themed Rama enter !!

Ideally, my plan would be to make either a brass or (if possible) an yellow e-coat enter key, both of those with a navy infill.

We really don't need every combination of keys that people use in the right column of a 65, blowing out kit sizes, yeah.

That's why the Core kit is as small as possible and many of those alternative keys that would blow out its size are on extension kits, where we could be more specific.

This is the correct option. That's what novelties are for...

If that was my intention with the Explorer kit, I'd would have been better just to offer a Core kit with novelty modifiers. However, the goal of the kit is to offer specific alternative layout support and extra coverage, so it is understandable that the R2 and R3 Home/End keys could be requested and considered for the kit.

Definitely interested!

+1 for having the old novelties as opposed to text-based novelties.

Thanks for the hard work Zambumon

Regarding the text vs old novelties, from a prior comment:

I wasn't super happy with how those turned out and felt annoying to me. I like how the enter key looks like and wanted to do something different for the second round. I was looking for something subtle and clean that would compliment the submarine enter key, something that wouldn't distract your attention from it and text novelties are perfect for that.

i've never understood this need for nav keys in 15 different profiles

How people use the nav cluster heavily depends on each user, so with with 65% and 75% keyboards people started arranging them based on their personal preference.  I've included those keys for the very same reason why 40s kits have multiple profiles for tab, esc and enter keys which is how I describe the kit: "alternative layouts" support.

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:52:51 »
Nice ! I’d like the submarine themed Rama enter !!

Ideally, my plan would be to make either a brass or (if possible) an yellow e-coat enter key, both of those with a navy infill.

Admittedly I am biased because brass would match my board, but also brass definitely lets you know the key is metal more than e-coat, which kind of just looks like plastic from a distance. An e-coat Rama enter would look really similar to the GMK novelty enter. Also color matching the e-coat and the ABS might be a struggle.

Offline botchm

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 18:06:22 »

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 23:02:45 »
Kit looks fantastic! And love the text mods novelties! My daily driver and I are both very ready for this drop  :)

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2020, 23:09:10 by otanishock »

Offline botchm

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 05:19:54 »
Kit looks fantastic! And love the text mods novelties! My daily driver and I are both very ready for this drop  :)

Show Image

Beautiful what’s keycaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 05:57:34 »
SA Nautilus, private GB.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 01:37:32 »
I would have paid so much money to be in that private GB >_<

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 03:56:00 »
A render of these key caps on [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard

I don't have the model and that keyboard uses a 1.50U Shift key, which I don't have plans to offer.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 09:22:52 »
Still waiting for quotes from GMK. T_T

Offline hound

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 06:06:48 »
3u plz  :)

Offline riggsenator

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 19:17:50 »
What about the diving bell and sextant? Really wanted those novelties as part of the set. Please consider including them in the rerelease. Definitely interested in a Rama enter or escape key.

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 20:44:37 »
What about the diving bell and sextant? Really wanted those novelties as part of the set. Please consider including them in the rerelease. Definitely interested in a Rama enter or escape key.

read the thread they arent coming back

Offline riggsenator

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 09:05:47 »

read the thread they arent coming back

thanks but I thought it wouldn't hurt to add my two cents.  still going to get in on the group buy. so excited that this set is coming back  ;D
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 February 2020, 09:08:23 by riggsenator »

Offline Ginza

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 03:20:56 »
I crave Nordic ISO-kit!  ;D

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 03:33:12 »
I already have the 1st run of Nautilus in GMK but I would love a SA version.  Is that going to run anytime soon?
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 06:05:16 »
I already have the 1st run of Nautilus in GMK but I would love a SA version.  Is that going to run anytime soon?
No.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 14:24:14 »

European keyset enthusiasts and Nautilus fans, we have some great news for you:

Oblotzky Industries will be the European group buy host for Nautilus 2

You can read more about it here
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 February 2020, 14:25:47 by Zambumon »

Offline MythicCynic

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 14:35:46 »
As far as the enter key, I actually love the idea of the brass with navy infil for the Enter key. It gives it that really obvious metal, premium key look. I haven't seen a RAMA e-coat in person yet so I don't really know whether or not it would be noticeable from a distance.

The kit update works great for me since it'll work out on my KOYU without having to buy an extra kit just for like 3 keys. The 3.00C caps I don't think I've really seen a use for. I feel like those might not work well as a separate kit unless the MOQ is quite low since its such a specific item.

I'm definitely super disappointed its coming back in GMK and not SA and that the sextant and bell were removed for this run but I love this set and the colors so much that I'm definitely going to be getting in on it anyway. Anyway thats just my own 2 cents

Offline yhehdgjs

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 07:22:04 »
!!

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 07:29:06 »

Offline dom

• XOXO

Offline shoobopper

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 23:03:16 »
I would love to see a new deskpad this time around. The existing Novelkeys Deskpad is nice but the red seems excessive as there's only one red key and most people don't use it.

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 23:29:39 »
It feels like the novelties kit has too few keys.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 02:25:50 »
I would love to see a new deskpad this time around. The existing Novelkeys Deskpad is nice but the red seems excessive as there's only one red key and most people don't use it.

I'd recommend using instead either the or . I have been using the Hexagon Blue one and I couldn't be happier with how it looks.

It feels like the novelties kit has too few keys.

Jamón had a similar sized kit (Pata Negra) and honestly it had the perfect size and price. I might add a couple more text novelties, but I don't want to end up with a huge expensive kit.

Offline shoobopper

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 15:19:48 »
I'd recommend using instead either the
Show Image
or
Show Image
. I have been using the Hexagon Blue one and I couldn't be happier with how it looks.

Yep I was looking at the Hexagon Blue or the MP-R1 Ocean Deskpads currently but was hoping for a more theme specific one. Anyways, just a suggestion! :D

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 17:26:17 »
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but would you consider forgoing the numpad sublegends for a cleaner look?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 04:36:46 »
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but would you consider forgoing the numpad sublegends for a cleaner look?

Dropping numpad sublegends is something I've been thinking about for a while. It would solve some of the aesthetic issues I had with reversed numpads (EXT65) and it would also give R1 owners an extra reason to get Nautilus 2. I don't think it would be a dealbreaker to drop those legends.

This is what I'm talking about when flipping/reversing the numpad

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 04:51:45 »
I def plan on getting a southpaw numpad this year and fully support this as well.

Offline travwal

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 10:04:54 »
+1 for dropping numpad sublegends

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 14:19:19 »
+2 for dropping numpad sublegends

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 20:30:16 »
+3 for adding more novelties, esp. some r1 novelties

Offline pcire

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 00:19:38 »
I’m sucker for novelties, but can’t get myself to pay for “text novelties”. Especially when the set theme’s is perfect for some sick novelties (it doesn’t have to be r1 novelties)

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 00:45:41 »
I’m sucker for novelties, but can’t get myself to pay for “text novelties”. Especially when the set theme’s is perfect for some sick novelties (it doesn’t have to be r1 novelties)

My thoughts are similar. I’m definitely getting the Rama enter, so I’ll have no need for the abs novelty enter keys. Considering the less than exciting text novelties and the lack of R1 novelties, I can’t see myself purchasing the novelties kit in its current configuration. Rather, I will be purchasing the base and Mac kits, in addition to any Rama offerings.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 04:51:06 »

My thoughts are similar. I’m definitely getting the Rama enter, so I’ll have no need for the abs novelty enter keys. Considering the less than exciting text novelties and the lack of R1 novelties, I can’t see myself purchasing the novelties kit in its current configuration. Rather, I will be purchasing the base and Mac kits, in addition to any Rama offerings.
Gotta 3rd this. The text novelties seem... Odd. I liked the r1 ones. Even better would be some of the nightmares novelties redone in the Nautilus colorset.

Offline stevenT

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 22:12:33 »

Gotta 3rd this. The text novelties seem... Odd. I liked the r1 ones. Even better would be some of the nightmares novelties redone in the Nautilus colorset.
well this is Zambumon ic, I doubt that novelties will change; you can vote with your wallet during the gb

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 22:14:35 »

well this is Zambumon ic, I doubt that novelties will change; you can vote with your wallet during the gb
True. Kind of the point of an IC. To gather feedback. Whether he acts on it is up to him, sure. But it doesn't hurt.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 02:34:13 »
We've got quotes from GMK.

We sould have a kit update either by the end of this week or next week.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 17:25:54 »
True. Kind of the point of an IC. To gather feedback. Whether he acts on it is up to him, sure. But it doesn't hurt.

Some people use ICs as more of a hype check than an interest check.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 08:05:00 »
Noticed on your site, rose of the winds being added to novelties? I like it. Makes the novelties a better buy for me!

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 08:30:08 »
Noticed on your site, rose of the winds being added to novelties? I like it. Makes the novelties a better buy for me!

You found the update right before I was going to post it here  ^-^

Kit update!

TL;DR: I have updated some of the kits. Dropped the numpad sublegends on the Core kit, expanded the ISO layout coverage to Danish, Finnish, German and Swedish and replaced the "Nemo" with a Rose of the Winds novelty.

If you want to know exactly how the kits have changed and why I have written a blog post going into detail about them: https://zambumon.com/2020/02/21/nautilus-2-kit-updates/

« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:47:20 by Zambumon »

Offline andtar2

Re: [IC] GMK Nautilus 2 | Kit update!
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 09:32:54 »
Woohoo! International Kit! Thank you! :)

Noticed one small thing in the kit image: there are two identical keys of "* + ~" and "^ ¨ ~"-key is missing.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 09:39:06 »
Kit updates are fantastic! Looking forward to this set :thumb:

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 09:50:45 »
Still an easy pass with the dark blue pipe key being in an add-on kit.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:19:00 »
Woohoo! International Kit! Thank you! :)

Noticed one small thing in the kit image: there are two identical keys of "* + ~" and "^ ¨ ~"-key is missing.

Thanks for catching that, forgot to swap that one when rendering :(

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 10:32:47 »

Same. I’ll likely now get the novelties as well. Thank you for listening to feedback, Zambumon!!