Author Topic: [IC] Polaris - GB has begun  (Read 228150 times)

Offline krisst

Re: [IC] Polaris - Gasket 60% for $265
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 08:53:22 »
I asked ai03 previously (via insta) and was told the split spacebar is compatible with HHKB layout.

For WKL/HHKB split space, the bottom row will be limited to these layouts.

Show Image
\

Show Image

I can't say they're the most aesthetically pleasing layouts, but I guess they work physically.

Thanks for the update, would be nice if you could update the OP with latest news and changes.

And yeah, split doesn't look good imo

Offline fleeceman

« Reply #401 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 07:43:13 »
Looks really good! Any chances of colour samples for each option? Want to pick up a purple or blue polaris but need it to be quite dark.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #402 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 11:54:48 »
Looks really good! Any chances of colour samples for each option? Want to pick up a purple or blue polaris but need it to be quite dark.
I would assume it's the same ano colors as on other KBDFans boards, which are not dark at all. See examples on the KBD8x MkII group buy page: https://kbdfans.cn/products/coming-soon-kbd8x-mkii-custom-mechanical-keyboard-kit
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #403 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 13:29:23 »
I asked ai03 previously (via insta) and was told the split spacebar is compatible with HHKB layout.

Show Image
\

Show Image

I can't say they're the most aesthetically pleasing layouts, but I guess they work physically.
FYI, with that second layout, you essentially just solved one of the main reasons why people can’t switch to the HHKB layout: The lack of arrow keys.
Sure, it’s not 100% aesthetically pleasing, but it’s 90% there, and I think most will be fine with that.
I for one know that’ll be my preferred layout.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #404 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 15:09:34 »

Show Image
\

Show Image

FYI, with that second layout, you essentially just solved one of the main reasons why people can’t switch to the HHKB layout: The lack of arrow keys.
Sure, it’s not 100% aesthetically pleasing, but it’s 90% there, and I think most will be fine with that.

Well, why switch to HHKB layout if not for the aesthetics and also the functionality of it's key mapping? Going with an un-aesthetically pleasing and limiting (for some) layout is the worst idea for something that costs this much (or any custom for that matter).

Also how are you planning to keymap a split space HHKB layout for those arrow keys?
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline nguyenhimself

[IC] Polaris - Gasket 60% for $265
« Reply #405 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 19:39:05 »

Show Image
\

Show Image

Well, why switch to HHKB layout if not for the aesthetics and also the functionality of it's key mapping? Going with an un-aesthetically pleasing and limiting (for some) layout is the worst idea for something that costs this much (or any custom for that matter).

Also how are you planning to keymap a split space HHKB layout for those arrow keys?
See those four keys on the right? The T shape?
Yep.
I assume there wills still be a split right shift. If not, we can always remap the Caps Lock key. Easy.
Re. the aesthetic, well for me it’s the blockers on either sides that form the HHKB aesthetic. If I can have that AND arrow keys, I’m game to compromise a bit.
Yes, I need the arrow keys. I use my keyboard for more than just typing.
Fn + HJKL is fine until you need to hit combos like Fn + Shift + Alt + HJKL, then you start to run into hand twisting problems.
And nobody is forcing you to use that layout. Just leave it as an option for people who don’t mind it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2019, 19:41:13 by nguyenhimself »

Offline vafan

« Reply #406 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 21:23:09 »
I`m in

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #407 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 12:00:55 »

Show Image
\

Show Image

I feel like people undervalue using WASD or IJKL for arrow keys. Not having to move my hands to use arrows has been such a great benefit.

Offline Laiain

« Reply #408 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 23:02:19 »
Definitely in

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #409 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 05:04:00 »

Show Image
\

Show Image

See those four keys on the right? The T shape?
Yep.
I assume there wills still be a split right shift. If not, we can always remap the Caps Lock key. Easy.
Re. the aesthetic, well for me it’s the blockers on either sides that form the HHKB aesthetic. If I can have that AND arrow keys, I’m game to compromise a bit.
Yes, I need the arrow keys. I use my keyboard for more than just typing.
Fn + HJKL is fine until you need to hit combos like Fn + Shift + Alt + HJKL, then you start to run into hand twisting problems.
And nobody is forcing you to use that layout. Just leave it as an option for people who don’t mind it.

Well, to each his own. I'm not again your opinion so if that works for you, great. It just doesn't for me.  ;)

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
« Reply #410 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 06:45:50 »
E-yellow with brass plate and weight.

Poly photos will be posted once they are confirmed functional.

Offline Visionaire

Re: [IC] Polaris - Alu proto photos are up
« Reply #411 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 06:48:17 »
ITS HAPPENING

Offline Solotov

« Reply #412 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 07:22:07 »
LOVE IT  :thumb:
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #413 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 07:56:31 »
One more photo that showcases the e-yellow color.

Offline jonowarren94

« Reply #414 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 08:01:01 »
Thats nice! Will plate files be available after the GB?

Offline jives

« Reply #415 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 08:12:09 »

Show Image

This looks awesome, can't wait!

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #416 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 09:08:16 »
Thats nice! Will plate files be available after the GB?

I'll try to open source the PCB and plate files before the product ships, hopefully some time during the GB phase or very early after it closes.

Offline hyppialonso

« Reply #417 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 10:05:52 »
Once the prototypes are confirmed functional, the GB will kick-off very soon, right? So can I now be anticipated for the coming GB ? :))))))

Offline jonowarren94

« Reply #418 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 10:35:09 »
Once the prototypes are confirmed functional, the GB will kick-off very soon, right? So can I now be anticipated for the coming GB ? :))))))

So this wont support 'regular 60% pcbs?

EDIT: Found my answer earlier on thanks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 July 2019, 10:40:00 by jonowarren94 »

Offline PoohGom

« Reply #419 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 12:35:09 »

Show Image

OOF. I did not know an E-Yellow color was an option, I was interested in this keyboard before, but now I am definitely going to get the E-Yellow. Thank you for the update!

Offline donkey

« Reply #420 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 15:13:32 »
> OOF. I did not know an E-Yellow color was an option, I was interested in this keyboard before, but now I am definitely going to get the E-Yellow. Thank you for the update!

KBDfans just started selling E-Yellow Tofu so maybe that's why. Hope E-Yellow Polaris doesn't cost extra like Tofu version.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #421 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 17:40:07 »
> OOF. I did not know an E-Yellow color was an option, I was interested in this keyboard before, but now I am definitely going to get the E-Yellow. Thank you for the update!

KBDfans just started selling E-Yellow Tofu so maybe that's why. Hope E-Yellow Polaris doesn't cost extra like Tofu version.

Anodizing and E-coating are two different ways of surface finish so there's different costs for doing that. Possibly fail rates or smth. Polaris has a great price anyway so paying extra for an E-coated one would still be worth it more than paying extra for a Tofu (not a bad starter board, no offence).

Offline cyriously

« Reply #422 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 18:18:10 »
Also oof. I always wanted yellow case. As soon as Tofu E-Yellow in stock, I bought it. I should have waited for this.

Sorry for this, but has anyone seen WKL with split space layout? I remember I saw it somewhere.... Scrolled through the thread pages but didn't see it. Or it was just in my dream @_@

Offline fractl

« Reply #423 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 18:25:00 »
Also oof. I always wanted yellow case. As soon as Tofu E-Yellow in stock, I bought it. I should have waited for this.

Sorry for this, but has anyone seen WKL with split space layout? I remember I saw it somewhere.... Scrolled through the thread pages but didn't see it. Or it was just in my dream @_@

Scroll up this page for the WKL split spacebar layout.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #424 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 18:35:25 »

Literally second post in this page.

Offline cyriously

« Reply #425 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 18:49:38 »

Scroll up this page for the WKL split spacebar layout.

Literally second post in this page.
dum dum, checked all pages, didn't checked the last one, thanks

Offline donkey

« Reply #426 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 19:48:17 »
Tofu's thinner side bezels bugged me more than I thought but I guess it's too late to complain.

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #427 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 23:34:36 »
Hope E-Yellow Polaris doesn't cost extra like Tofu version.

It will.
E-coatings cost significantly more than anodizing.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #428 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 00:00:56 »
The prototype looks great.  Good work, man.  Any plans to put some switches and caps on it for more photos in the near future? Looking forward to the group buy. 

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #429 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 06:23:59 »
Are there any renders for the Olive Green Color? I can't seem to find any.

Offline ddnomad

« Reply #430 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 10:15:54 »
<quote snipped>

Ahh, I though it would be more like olive green LSJ Ares.

Too bad, that color won’t much GMK Olive I guess.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 July 2021, 13:49:23 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #431 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 23:59:47 »
After some consideration, we will likely be adding the following options:

- E-yellow cases
- FR4 plates
- Another brass finish (for weight and plate) which will be announced in the near future

Offline Ivanddt

« Reply #432 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 00:05:48 »
I don't think I've seen any blue grey options on any of the KBDfans cases. Is it just a naming thing, or is this a new colour?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #433 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 00:34:44 »
I don't think I've seen any blue grey options on any of the KBDfans cases. Is it just a naming thing, or is this a new colour?

Yeah, I'd like to know as well.  I was assuming it was their "blue" color they use on the tofu and other new boards

222822-0

Offline vi0till

« Reply #434 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 01:15:17 »
I assume there will be new price revision?

- E-yellow cases
- FR4 plates
- Another brass finish (for weight and plate) which will be announced in the near future

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #435 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 07:06:20 »

E-coatings and such that cost more to produce will be a bit more expensive, but for the default aluminum case, price will be as stated originally.

Offline vi0till

« Reply #436 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 07:35:37 »
Sweet!!  :thumb: :thumb: waiting for GB then

E-coatings and such that cost more to produce will be a bit more expensive, but for the default aluminum case, price will be as stated originally.

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #437 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 08:33:36 »
I hope I don't go to through the dilemma of colors. Waiting for the PC proto  :D

Offline nguyenhimself

[IC] Polaris - Alu proto photos are up
« Reply #438 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 10:46:59 »
I hope I don't go to through the dilemma of colors. Waiting for the PC proto  :D

PC still? Even after this post from OP?

To be absolutely honest, I discourage people from buying the poly case option.

I designed the board around aluminum levels of structural integrity; the lid has thin portions where it is sandwiched between the top and the weight.
We will be testing a poly lid to make sure it achieves the required levels of durability, but it is undeniable that it will be weaker than aluminum.
Polycarbonate threads are far more prone to stripping from overtightening screws, and the material scratches far easier.
The absolute mess of gaskets and foam on the interior will be visible.
Poly is known to yellow due to exposure to UV light. After many years, the board that was paid premium for may not look too pretty.

Offline The_Royal

• That's what I call, a Sunday.
« Reply #439 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 12:11:27 »
THAT'S WHAT E-YELLOW LOOKS LIKE!?!?

That looks incredible.  Reminds me of those older kitchen appliances that used a similar color, but powder coated probably of course.

That will 100% be my color choice!  Can't wait for this deal!

Offline Digitize

« Reply #440 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 14:45:40 »

How I feel after the prototype photo. In my head I am totally in for the e-white to go with the Kurt Shiro set once it ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #441 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 16:39:49 »

PC still? Even after this post from OP?

To be honest, maybe. Will depend a bit on the prototype feedback and stuff. I kinda really like the idea of PC, and don't have any boards in PC. But i'm ok, still plenty of time to decide, but I definitely prefer to hear all the info before deciding.

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #442 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 16:45:01 »
And there are a few points actually.
"PC is weaker than alu.", well.. ain't that expected since its plastic vs alu?
"Mess of gasket will be visible.". Don't think I mind that. Will try to research a bit, but I really think I'm ok with it.
"PC will yellow with time". Wasn't exactly expecting this, but I do have a bit yellowed hhkb, and don't mind that much as well.

But with all of this. Still am thinking :)

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #443 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 22:24:31 »
Please run this GB after September!

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #444 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 22:50:38 »
Another brass finish for the weight sounds good!

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #445 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 23:52:39 »
Please run this GB after September!

It will run as soon as prototypes are confirmed functional, so likely very soon.

Offline RubMyKoala

« Reply #446 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 00:21:27 »

- E-yellow cases
- FR4 plates

I would kill for a Purple brass finish similar to the GMK Vaporwave Rama cap, unlikely I know. But one can dream.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #447 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 00:45:58 »
I would kill for a Purple brass finish similar to the GMK Vaporwave Rama cap, unlikely I know. But one can dream.

That would be sexy af.

Offline Mekberg

« Reply #448 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 05:02:28 »
Here’s a tip for future case prototype shots or general photos of the available colors: https://external-preview.redd.it/tuN1R4FhLu1Fv5Jy70hB9DaQ01qbgiaASVIzBGhXPV4.png?auto=webp&s=66ad93908067d4eb92e026ecc4dabc5aa77ecb9f

:)

Offline realxmlforce

« Reply #449 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 06:11:52 »

That would be sexy af.
Omg yes!
But the case has to be made of brass or stainless steel (afaik) to make pvd finish to work. I would gladly pay for that though :D