Author Topic: Novatouch keycap size  (Read 2487 times)

Offline novice1

Novatouch keycap size
« on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 19:55:28 »
Another novice here. I am trying the Novatouch, and really like it except for one minor thing. I have been using the KeyTronic Classic.  The surface of the key caps on the Keytronic is slightly larger than the key cap surface on the Novatouch.  I don't have a device to measure the key cap size.  In time I probably would get used to the slightly smaller size, but is there a set of replacement key caps which are not too expensive for the Novatouch which will have a slightly larger surface?
Thanks 

Offline blazzo

Re: Novatouch keycap size
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 21:01:25 »
I moved from the Keytronic KT800 to a Filco MJ2 and felt the same thing. The keys felt smaller, even though visually they looked identically in size. I bought a Novatouch shortly after and felt the same thing.

I am actually wondering if this is to do with the fact that on the Keytronic keyboards, the keys sit a little higher above the case of the keyboard itself (you can see under them), whereas on the Filco/Novatouch the keys are somewhat sunken into the case.

Makes me want to find a mech keyboard that has keys the same height out of the case as the Keytronics just to see if this is the reason.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 August 2015, 22:01:50 by blazzo »
Filco MJ2 + Novatouch

Offline novice1

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 August 2015, 21:34:19 »
The width of the keys are the same, but the "length" of the key cap" on the Key Tronic is longer.  The red mark on the paper is as close as I can get to showing the length of the Key Tronic key cap.  The keyboard on the photo is the Novatouch. (Sorry about it being upside down, I could not correct it.)  I think the best way to describe the difference is that the surface of the Key Tronic is more square, and the Key Tronic is a rectangle. With this info, if anyone knows of a more rectangular shaped Cherry stem key cap set, that would be great. Thanks

Offline blazzo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 07:41:20 »
Nice find. I'm interested in the same as you, if you happen to find out :)
Filco MJ2 + Novatouch

Offline BrewCaps

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 11:42:35 »
The width of the keys are the same, but the "length" of the key cap" on the Key Tronic is longer.  The red mark on the paper is as close as I can get to showing the length of the Key Tronic key cap.  The keyboard on the photo is the Novatouch. (Sorry about it being upside down, I could not correct it.)  I think the best way to describe the difference is that the surface of the Key Tronic is more square, and the Key Tronic is a rectangle. With this info, if anyone knows of a more rectangular shaped Cherry stem key cap set, that would be great. Thanks

Show Image

No, the Novatouch  keys may be taller but still rectangular.

Offline novice1

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 August 2015, 14:48:23 »
Describing the Novatouch key caps as square was not accurate, agreed.