Author Topic: Will we never get another HHKB?  (Read 4804 times)

Offline VimLover

Will we never get another HHKB?
« on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 00:15:59 »
It's been a depressingly long time since the HHKB 2 came out. I've tried tens of boards, but the HHKB layout with those heavenly topre switches and solid keycap feel is the top of the mountain for me. But where is the USB-C? Where are the fully programmable layers? Where is the backlight, fully customizable RGB? The metal backplate option?

Please HHKB, give me something to throw money at? It's starting to look like the HHKB 2 will be the board I'll be buried with.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 February 2019, 00:21:41 by VimLover »

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
Re: Will we never get another HHKB?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 00:47:24 »
no details other than some new version coming out later this year

https://www.keychatter.com/2018/11/13/hhkb-professional-refresh-coming-fall-2019/
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 03:56:09 »
If and when mine finally dies, there’d better be a damn close replacement.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 04:29:54 »
Where is the backlight, fully customizable RGB?
Don't give them any ideas!

Topre keycaps are the best keycaps. Being able to use a blank HHKB is the goal: what makes you a happy hacker and what keeps your coworkers' greasy fingers off your keyboard.

RGB backlighting is for the plebian 14-yearolds who go "Oooh, Shiny!" and can't type properly.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 04:56:46 »
Yeah. Please no LEDs. And definitely no metal plate; I love the feeling of oneness with plastic.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 05:28:39 »

It's been a depressingly long time since the HHKB 2 came out. I've tried tens of boards, but the HHKB layout with those heavenly topre switches and solid keycap feel is the top of the mountain for me. But where is the USB-C? Where are the fully programmable layers? Where is the backlight, fully customizable RGB? The metal backplate option?

Please HHKB, give me something to throw money at? It's starting to look like the HHKB 2 will be the board I'll be buried with.

If you want it to be programmable get a hasu controller.

USB C still isn't mainstream but I wouldn't turn down that option, I'd rather just get one of those magnetic cable adapters or just get the BT version (again hasu if you want the layout customized).

Everything else you mentioned belongs on a razer keyboard not a hhkb. RGB needs to die.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 09:30:48 »
Yeah. Please no LEDs. And definitely no metal plate; I love the feeling of oneness with plastic.

U guys should give up, LEDs is the future..  it's really hard to get a 40-50yr old to buy a new keyboard,  this is all kids stuff.

Offline VimLover

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 10:48:08 »

Topre keycaps are the best keycaps. Being able to use a blank HHKB is the goal: what makes you a happy hacker and what keeps your coworkers' greasy fingers off your keyboard.

RGB backlighting is for the plebian 14-yearolds who go "Oooh, Shiny!" and can't type properly.

Oh, I'm a blank keycapper for sure, I just need the lights so that people can see that I'm a person of top taste in the dark. Also so I can program my keyboard to play snake.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 12:27:30 »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 10:07:44 »
I would buy another HHKB in a heartbeat, if it weren't for that damn atrocity of a backspace key.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 10:09:02 »
I would buy another HHKB in a heartbeat, if it weren't for that damn atrocity of a backspace key.

Really? That's like the main selling point for me personally. Different strokes for different folks I guess
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 14:25:25 »
If and when mine finally dies, there’d better be a damn close replacement.

You better hit it with your fists to break it then lol.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 17:13:35 »
Old adage comes to mind, don't fix what aint broke. The HHKB is a niche inside a niche inside a niche market.

HHKB layout > Topre > Mechanical keyboards I mean customers for this thing are like unicorns unique and treasured. Why disrupt the status quo when you can just produce what you know sells and keeps everyone pretty happy.

Offline itbesandrodoe

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 17:46:03 »
why would you change perfection?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 18:43:15 »
I think the point of the HHKB is the layout. If you do want a compact Topre keyboard in a more traditional PC layout, check out the Leopold FC660C. It has arrow keys, but is only 1.5 keys wider.

Edit: Niz Atom66. It's a Topre clone (?) which allows you to switch out the Backspace key for a longer one. Bluetooth, Cherry-profile POM keycaps.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2019, 08:35:36 by Findecanor »

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 19:14:19 »
I could not wait any longer and went from a Pro 2 to a BT. The typing experience is the same, for the most part, I do feel like the build quality on the BT is better.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 20:31:14 »
This is why we were meant to be lovers

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 01:34:29 »

Really? That's like the main selling point for me personally. Different strokes for different folks I guess

Yeah I got really long fingers, so hitting the large backspace with my ring finger is really easy and comfortable for me. I tried the HHKB for a while, hitting backspace with my pinky made my right hand hurt like crazy after a few minutes.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 03:08:18 »
Old adage comes to mind, don't fix what aint broke. The HHKB is a niche inside a niche inside a niche market.

HHKB layout > Topre > Mechanical keyboards I mean customers for this thing are like unicorns unique and treasured. Why disrupt the status quo when you can just produce what you know sells and keeps everyone pretty happy.

i'm guessing the new version will be a disappointment for me.  i'm imagining some kind of flat rectangular thing like the realforce R2.

the perfect update for me would to just make it programmable and have BT support without the big battery compartment in the back, and maybe some new color schemes.

otherwise i'm happy with the pro2 + hasu BT controller.

a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 03:20:12 »
im kinda sad i never tried HHKB. wheres all the ogs at who remember that HHKB tour that happened
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 16:44:52 »

):(........
But seriously i have no experience with topre. You’re right about “can’t type properly” because that’s me!

Offline livewirerc

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 20:57:47 »

Yeah I got really long fingers, so hitting the large backspace with my ring finger is really easy and comfortable for me. I tried the HHKB for a while, hitting backspace with my pinky made my right hand hurt like crazy after a few minutes.

WOAH. Until I read this thread I never put any thought to it, but I now realize I hit the backspace key with my ring finger as well. Even on my HHKB. Thanks for bringing this fact to my attention.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 06:27:55 »
This is why we were meant to be lovers

Meant to be lovers, but can you call what we did in the rap cabin that?

And I'll kill my HHKB one day. There had BETTER BE AN OPTION.