Author Topic: Headphone Amp/DAC Thread  (Read 153374 times)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
Re: Headphone Amp/DAC Thread
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:39:34 »
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:43:47 »
Ehh... budget tube amps... not worth it imo.

Why not?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:05:48 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:47:44 »

Why not?

not leet enough

Basically. It costs a lot more money to make a good good tube amp than a solid state amp. That's why budget amps are either solid state or opamp based. I'd rather get a little dot i+ for a taste of tube and opamp rolling. With budget amps, you're already compromising. With budget tube amps, you're compromising even more.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:48:46 »
Hm. So what is your opinion on a Cavalli CTH?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:53:18 »

Why not?

not leet enough

Basically. It costs a lot more money to make a good good tube amp than a solid state amp. That's why budget amps are either solid state or opamp based. I'd rather get a little dot i+ for a taste of tube and opamp rolling. With budget amps, you're already compromising. With budget tube amps, you're compromising even more.

but that little dot i+ is the same price as that other one (at least according to amazon).. why is this better than the other? more trusted brand?
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:55:46 by demik »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:24:04 »

Why not?

not leet enough

Eh, I'm willing to compromise if that means I can get a good amp and not have to spend silly money. Because, while "proper" tube amps might be better, the Ocean will still be good enough I reckon, at least for that money
Not sure if I'm getting in on the drop, though, since I don't even know what kind of setup I want to end up with yet.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:27:38 »
I'm ready.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:41:21 »

Never heard of it before :o. I don't know much about DIY amps/dacs in general, except for the bottlehead stuff and the o2/odac.

but that little dot i+ is the same price as that other one (at least according to amazon).. why is this better than the other? more trusted brand?

Yeah, more trusted brand but mainly because it's a hybrid rather than a full OTL tube amp. Also because there is already a tube rolling guide for the little dots on head-fi, and used tubes for little dots are more common. It's just hard to recommend $100 tube amps over the o2 or magni.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 17:27:01 »

Never heard of it before :o. I don't know much about DIY amps/dacs in general, except for the bottlehead stuff and the o2/odac.

Yeah, more trusted brand but mainly because it's a hybrid rather than a full OTL tube amp. Also because there is already a tube rolling guide for the little dots on head-fi, and used tubes for little dots are more common. It's just hard to recommend $100 tube amps over the o2 or magni.

hm, seems like a reasonable explanation.. if i had any idea of what any of that meant lol.

well im glad it isn't just brand loyalty.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 09:28:54 »
Recently I got my hands on a e17 and x3.

I was really taken with the e17. I can use it with my work computer, home rig, and my Zune. I liked the versatility and the sound quality, a lot. The display was nice and I liked the ease of use on the e17.

The x3 is great: simple, can play flac, and has the same sound quality as the e17. However, the flac files take up a lot of room and if I bought one, I'd definitely get an SD card...and a way better pair of IEMs for when I'm at work :P

I'm getting a hold of thegunner100's GR07's. I'll be testing those against my Grados tonight...speaking of Grados, does anyone have a good mod for L cushion style pads? The L cushions I bought sound better than the S cushions or comfies. But the S-cush/comfies were way more comfortable. I've washed both with hair conditioner to soften it. And then I turned the L cushions inside out and put them on the cans. That seemed to work great but I'll have to try wearing them for a few hours. Was wondering if people had any other ideas though. Wrong thread. I'll post that over in the headphone thread.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2013, 14:03:47 by CPTBadAss »

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 10:07:39 »
The gr07s are much more balanced than grados and will be better than grados for most genres. Also, don't bother putting flac on your dap unless you can actually tell the difference between flac and 320kbps/v0.

My friend's srh940 are arriving today! I don't think the other guy even shipped out my k702s yet :(

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 10:13:28 »
Also, don't bother putting flac on your dap unless you can actually tell the difference between flac and 320kbps/v0.

This is what I tried explaining to him and the owner of the x3, but... Hell, probably even v2, though I personally went with v0 without testing anything besides FLAC and v0, though to be honest, with not anything good to test with.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 10:15:12 »
The gr07s are much more balanced than grados and will be better than grados for most genres.

I listen to like 80% metal, which is why I grabbed Grados. But I've been testing out a bunch of different genres and you might be right. My friend's Ultrasones just sound so much better with every genre of music I've tried.

Also, don't bother putting flac on your dap unless you can actually tell the difference between flac and 320kbps/v0.

This is what I tried explaining to him and the owner of the x3, but... Hell, probably even v2, though I personally went with v0 without testing anything besides FLAC and v0, though to be honest, with not anything good to test with.

I've literally never had a good setup and the ability to play flac files so I wanted to try it for giggles. Plus I like testing things for myself. So far? I'd be more than happy with just 320kbps.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 10:22:32 »
I like FLAC for archiving purposes, and to know where my encodes are coming from proper.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 10:42:02 »
Ugh ultrasones... the Beats of the audiophile world =/

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 10:52:09 »
Why is that?

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 19:06:20 »
I wanted to post this earlier, but I had class, so here is my rant on ultrasone. First off, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ for the lulz. All graphs were taken from changstar.com unless noted otherwise. Do not compare graphs taken from different websites, as each website measures their headphones different and use different compensations.

Lets start with the $1500 Ultrasone Edition8 Palladium.

Take a look at its frequency response.
37578-0

Aside from the driver mismatch, look at how many peaks and dips there are within the treble region after 5k. The unevenness of the treble region will cause awkward transitions and as a result, the treble can sound piercing. Aside from the treble region, the rest of the FR is quite uneven, and look at that bass! Lets take a look at the Cumulative Decay Spectrum for further proof.

37580-1

Yikes, very uneven, isn't it? Ideally the treble should decay quickly, or around the same time so that you will not hear resonance, or ringing. Slow decay in the treble region will cause the treble to linger around for longer than it's supposed to, and will thus lead to piercing treble. This isn't as bad as a few other ultrasones but I will get to them later.

Now for comparison, lets take a look at the hd800's measurements ($1500).

With a simple mod (the anax mod), we get a very clean and even frequency response. No peaks or dips to note of at all. And the CSD? Absolutely clean.
37582-2
37584-3

How about something cheaper? Take a look at the mdr-v6 (usually more around $65)
37586-4
37588-5

Even the $65 mdr-v6 pulls off a cleaner FR and CSD than the ultrasone edition 8.

Now perhaps the worst offender in the ultrasone line, the pro 900.
37590-6
37592-7

Just look at the bass (200hz and below). WTF. Theres even more bass on the pro 900 than the Beats. Heck, I'll take a pair of beats studios or pros over these any day. Then look at the rest of the FR. Uneven mids, and a ridiculous treble dip at ~5.3khz, and then a treble spike at 6-7khz. To quote Purrin (founder of changstar.com), "The 5 sec rule is safer than 5 secs listening to these". I've personally tried them at a store, and he's completely right. Don't EVER play any sibilant or treble heavy music on these pair of headphones. Just ridiculous for a $400 pair of headphones.

Now onto the $145 ultrasone DJ1.
37594-8
37596-9
Graphs taken from goldenears.net
Now if you can't interpret how they sound like from FR and CSD, lemme tell you how they sound like.

COMPLETE TRASH. Just look at that wonky, uneven frequency response. WTF IS THAT. THen take a look at the CSD. That delicious resonance at 4khz. So basically, from personal experience of trying them out, and from the CSD, every sound that comes out from these pair of headphones sound like they have a cavernous sound to them. All the notes take forever to decay. Your the initial note, and then you hear another second of the note bouncing off the walls of a cave. Disgusting.

TL;DR/Summary
The price that ultrasone charges for their headphones is ludicrous. All you get for your money is ridiculously bad bass, or hearing damage from the treble spikes. Don't waste your money on ultrasones. There are so many headphones out there that cost less than ultrasones, and sound so much better.

If you read through my whole rant and explanation, thank you very much. I hope this was informative, as it took me quite a while to type up.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 19:33:55 »
Dude...I did notice that the trebles were really odd.

* CPTBadAss has his mind blown

Offline Tarzan_

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 13:42:43 »
Just out of curiosity, are there any tube amps that are considered "entry level?"  I purchased the Fiio E17 from one of the recent Massdrop buys, and got the Sennheiser HD 598 headphones around the same time.  This combo has opened my ears to what is possible in portable audio (apart from some tendency to get tinnitus if I listen for extended periods...).

So if I wanted to try out a relatively small tube amp, something I could swap different tubes into, are there any recommended options?  And are there recommended vendors for tubes as well - like the one linked below?

http://www.tubedepot.com/sed.html

(I did see in the OP that tube amps were off-topic, for the first discussion.  Are we past that point, or is this still a verboten topic?)
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2013, 13:44:15 by Tarzan »

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:39:47 »
Little Dot I+ is pretty entry level and it gives you lots of tube and OPAMP rolling options. But are you talking portable... like the Analog Paper Squared?

http://www.analog2p.com/

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 15:01:29 »
Anyone have a recommendation for a dac/amp combo that has a very low output impedance (<4ohm) and is of good quality yet with a price of <300$ and <200$ would be better. I know of the modi/magni combo, but I will probably bring it to work and back home on a regular basis and having 2 units with cables and everything will be more annoying. I don't want one with batteries since I will use it only with a computer. I would like it to be not too big, but it does not have to be so small or ultra portable.

I was looking at the hifi iDac, but have not been convinced by the reviews and the price is "limit" and they are hard to find. I have seen many other different interesting choices, but most have either a 10 ohm impedance, or have reviews not THAT convincing. I am not looking for tube amp at this price tag, but I would not be opposed to them either.

Maybe I will still go for the modi/magni even if I am not convinced, or maybe I will wait until a new product matching my criteria is availabe (and this market seems to be prolific!).

Thx for the input!

P.S.: my headphones are soundmagic hp100 and have a 32 ohm impedance.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 15:04:09 »
Anyone have a recommendation for a dac/amp combo that has a very low output impedance (<4ohm) and is of good quality yet with a price of <300$ and <200$ would be better. I know of the modi/magni combo, but I will probably bring it to work and back home on a regular basis and having 2 units with cables and everything will be more annoying. I don't want one with batteries since I will use it only with a computer. I would like it to be not too big, but it does not have to be so small or ultra portable.

I was looking at the hifi iDac, but have not been convinced by the reviews and the price is "limit" and they are hard to find. I have seen many other different interesting choices, but most have either a 10 ohm impedance, or have reviews not THAT convincing. I am not looking for tube amp at this price tag, but I would not be opposed to them either.

Maybe I will still go for the modi/magni even if I am not convinced, or maybe I will wait until a new product matching my criteria is availabe (and this market seems to be prolific!).

Thx for the input!

O2/ODAC combo?
http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=48

Offline Tarzan_

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 15:06:03 »
Little Dot I+ is pretty entry level and it gives you lots of tube and OPAMP rolling options. But are you talking portable... like the Analog Paper Squared?

http://www.analog2p.com/

Although that Analog Paper Squared amp is a work of minimalist art, I think the Little Dot amplifier looks more suitable for a desk-top headphone setup.  Maybe something with a few more more features, like a Toslink input, or USB connection?

I like the look of the Little Dot MK VIII, but that's probably overkill when using a PC as the primary source.   :))

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 15:22:36 »

Although that Analog Paper Squared amp is a work of minimalist art, I think the Little Dot amplifier looks more suitable for a desk-top headphone setup.  Maybe something with a few more more features, like a Toslink input, or USB connection?

I like the look of the Little Dot MK VIII, but that's probably overkill when using a PC as the primary source.   :))

There's nothing wrong with using the PC as the primary source. That's the main thing people use nowadays for music anyways. The little dots are just amps, if they're amps. Toslink inputs or usb inputs are for DACs.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 18:30:04 »

Just out of curiosity, are there any tube amps that are considered "entry level?"  I purchased the Fiio E17 from one of the recent Massdrop buys, and got the Sennheiser HD 598 headphones around the same time.  This combo has opened my ears to what is possible in portable audio (apart from some tendency to get tinnitus if I listen for extended periods...).

So if I wanted to try out a relatively small tube amp, something I could swap different tubes into, are there any recommended options?  And are there recommended vendors for tubes as well - like the one linked below?

(I did see in the OP that tube amps were off-topic, for the first discussion.  Are we past that point, or is this still a verboten topic?)

Another thing to look out for is the new Schiit Vali.  It's a non-replaceable tube amp that runs $120 that has already got some great first impression reviews.  There are some drawbacks, though.  The tubes are microphonic (so they ring for ~60 sec after you plug in headphones or mess with power), the output resistance is 8ohm so there's a high noise floor for low impedance gear and there was one other thing that is escaping my mind, but if you're not running low resistance cans or IEMs, it's a great little box at a good price.  I just picked up a used Lyr for cheap or I'd be in line to get one when it goes public.

From there, the little dot stuff is strong for entry level as is the ocean v2.

Thx for the input!

The magni/modi is a good entry level sit down amp/dac and you might glance at the firestone audio fubar HD that's on massdrop right now.  Most everything else I'd recommend would have a battery for portable use (fiio e17 specifically).

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 18:34:48 »
Ahh yes, I forgot about the Vali. It has gotten some nice impressions from Purrin and Anaxillus.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 21:20:58 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/firestone-fireye-mini

For $27 is this any good? I am not sure if I want to shell out $200 for a tube amp yet. But are tube amps worth it compared to the normal $100 fiio stuff?
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 21:32:48 »

Another thing to look out for is the new Schiit Vali.  It's a non-replaceable tube amp that runs $120 that has already got some great first impression reviews.  There are some drawbacks, though.  The tubes are microphonic (so they ring for ~60 sec after you plug in headphones or mess with power), the output resistance is 8ohm so there's a high noise floor for low impedance gear and there was one other thing that is escaping my mind, but if you're not running low resistance cans or IEMs, it's a great little box at a good price.  I just picked up a used Lyr for cheap or I'd be in line to get one when it goes public.

From there, the little dot stuff is strong for entry level as is the ocean v2.

Thx for the input!

The magni/modi is a good entry level sit down amp/dac and you might glance at the firestone audio fubar HD that's on massdrop right now.  Most everything else I'd recommend would have a battery for portable use (fiio e17 specifically).

I looked at fubar HD, but it's output impedance is too high for my cans (like 5 or 10 if my memory is good). I am in no hurry, but I will keep an eye on schiit even if it would be more of a pain to carry them regularly to job. I know it would have some consequences on the sound, but if they could fuse the modi and magni together it would be a plus for me!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 08:32:40 »
So last night I scored a great deal on Mad Dogs and a Magni Amp. I also have a Cavalli CTH waiting to be built. I have two amps and no DAC so I was wondering if people could recommend a DAC for those two amps. I'll be trying a Modi DAC thanks to tjcaustin's tour. But I just wanted to see if there were other options out there.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:13:30 »
Did you get that package from eke from head-fi? xD. Stick with the modi for now imo, unless you have more money to spend on another dac. Perhaps a audio-gd.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:15:21 »
I got my hands on this. So yes, if you're referring to eke2k6 I did buy that :D.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:21:18 »
Yep, that's who I was referring to. May I ask how much you paid?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:26:50 »
$225 for the package. I thought it was a great deal.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:35:15 »
Damn nice, grats! Like I said before, I don't like the mad dogs but that's a really good deal. There's a pair of of like-new hd800s on head-fi for $850. I hope my pm wasn't too late. The seller only has 1 feedback though, but it's through PayPal at least.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:36:46 »
It was love at first listen for me. Tjcaustin had a pair when we met up in Dallas and to me, they sounded better than the LCD-2s. :D

Good luck on your sale too!

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 10:57:02 »
Hmm well they're quite different in sound siganture. The mad dogs are on the bright side whereas the lcd2s are dark. Dark headphones aren't as immediately exciting or likeable as brighter, more fun headphones I suppose.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 13:11:29 »
Damn nice, grats! Like I said before, I don't like the mad dogs but that's a really good deal. There's a pair of of like-new hd800s on head-fi for $850. I hope my pm wasn't too late. The seller only has 1 feedback though, but it's through PayPal at least.

Damn, I must have missed that in my scans.  I'm watching a set on ebay sitting at 800 right now.

Hmm well they're quite different in sound siganture. The mad dogs are on the bright side whereas the lcd2s are dark. Dark headphones aren't as immediately exciting or likeable as brighter, more fun headphones I suppose.

And it's kinda the opposite with me.  I mean, had I heard the mad dogs first, I might not have the lcd-2, but to me, I can't imagine replacing lcd-2 with mad dogs.  Alpha dogs, maybe, but not mad dogs.

Also, I'm digging the Lyr that I picked up this weekend a fair amount.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 13:17:27 »
The $800 one on ebay looks decent. It is $50 shipping from Isreal though, which kills the price imo. I think it'll likely go up to $1000 by the time the auction ends =/

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 07:00:55 »
Just added an Nforce Icon2 to my desktop setup, can't believe the difference in sound quality. Suppose I was expecting a bit much out of the on-board sound in retrospect. Loving the features on this little thing, was looking around for something with a USB DAC + Amp for ages when I stumbled upon this on eBay being sold as ex-demo stock. Only paid $268 shipped so I'm pretty happy overall  :)

Want to get some new speakers soon, I have some Celestion '1' bookshelf speakers but they're 86db sensitivity and the manual for the Icon2 recommends 87db and above. Looking at the Audioengine P4's at the moment but I'm open to suggestions!

It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 08:04:39 »
Perhaps the Emotiva Airmotiv 4s? They're on sale for $300 right now, free shipping, and no taxes. I haven't heard them yet, but I've read many great reviews on them. My friend bought a pair this week and says they're good. He's going to bring them over to my room next week for me to try.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 11:40:03 »
Perhaps the Emotiva Airmotiv 4s? They're on sale for $300 right now, free shipping, and no taxes. I haven't heard them yet, but I've read many great reviews on them. My friend bought a pair this week and says they're good. He's going to bring them over to my room next week for me to try.

Ah I'm actually looking for some passive speakers, definitely keen to hear your thoughts on them though. Still can't get over how good the Icon2 sounds, put on some Explosions in the Sky FLAC and its like listening to a completely different album!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 03:34:13 »
Wondering if someone can help answer my question, I have the AUNE T1 - i am trying to figure out if it can run passive speakers out of the rear ports, when it is usingthe DAC (USBsetting).

Fairly Dense when it comes to audio stuff, I am in the market for some speakers trying to figure out how best to set it up with this amp/dac and if i would need anything else.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 05:43:41 »
Wondering if someone can help answer my question, I have the AUNE T1 - i am trying to figure out if it can run passive speakers out of the rear ports, when it is usingthe DAC (USBsetting).

Fairly Dense when it comes to audio stuff, I am in the market for some speakers trying to figure out how best to set it up with this amp/dac and if i would need anything else.

The Aune T1 has RCA outs, which would only take advantage of the dac section of the aune. You would need a integrated amp or a seperate power and preamp for passive speakers. Something cheap and simple like the Lepai mini amp would work. Else look towards getting poiwered speakers, which wont require an external amp.

http://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-LP-2020A-Lepai-Amplifier-Shipping/dp/B00C2P61FO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382870556&sr=8-2&keywords=lepai+lp-2020a%2B

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 07:20:48 »
I'm anxiously awaiting schit to release the vali.  Going to get the full schit stack.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 14:00:49 »

The Aune T1 has RCA outs, which would only take advantage of the dac section of the aune. You would need a integrated amp or a seperate power and preamp for passive speakers. Something cheap and simple like the Lepai mini amp would work. Else look towards getting poiwered speakers, which wont require an external amp.

http://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-LP-2020A-Lepai-Amplifier-Shipping/dp/B00C2P61FO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382870556&sr=8-2&keywords=lepai+lp-2020a%2B

Another good option for non-powered stuff would be to get a emotiva mini-x.  They're reasonably priced and will drive most bookshelf passive 2 channel set ups.  I've thought a few times of replacing the old amp in my living room with one.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 13:41:54 »
Just researching on audio stuff.

I wanted to buy the M-Audio BX5 and couple it with a sound card.
But when I stumbled upon this thread, modi would probably go better.

The problem I'll probably encounter is that the BX5's volume is at the back.
Now I know this would be stupid but here goes:

is it reasonable to run a Modi Magni combo just for the purpose of the volume knob?

I mean a headphone amp for a studio monitor?

Facepalm-worthy question, I know. :blank:
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 13:48:15 »
Get something with a pre-amp out, and then you can use the volume controls on that.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 13:51:50 »
Get something with a pre-amp out, and then you can use the volume controls on that.

Oh okay! Will research on that.  ;)
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline poopmat

« Reply #99 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 18:29:10 »
well i guell ill list what i use
fiio d3 dac
little bear tube preamp
Sure 50x2 tripath amp
all out of a pair of klispich chorus 2 speakers
all music is flac and played through my pc
no headphones yet