Author Topic: Wow, great monitor deal from Staples. 24", $160+FS and more  (Read 3447 times)

Offline WhiteRice

Wow, great monitor deal from Staples. 24", $160+FS and more
« on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 08:02:38 »
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/235966

Staples offers $30 off Acer monitors after coupon code 40099 (Exp 12/20). Great buys include:

Acer G215H Abd 21.5" Widescreen LCD Monitor $99.98 Free Shipping
Acer S211HL bd 21.5" Widescreen LED Monitor $129.98 Free Shipping
Acer H243Hbmid 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor $159.98 Free Shipping

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 08:19:40 »
You don't want a 21" widescreen monitor. They don't have nearly enough vertical height for most stuff. 24-inchers aren't that bad though.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline whininggit

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 12:26:32 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;265141
You don't want a 21" widescreen monitor. They don't have nearly enough vertical height for most stuff.

The Acer G215H and S211HL are both 1080 pixels high.
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 12:42:51 »
So is the H243Hb. *facepalms* I demand 1200 vertical pixels MINIMUM. Too bad they apparently want to double the price just for the extra lines.

Then again, I was expecting this just from seeing the price tags. That's the range where you can only expect 1920x1080 TN panels when buying new.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 14:59:05 »
Turn it 90 degrees for portrait mode and you'll have your 1200 pixel height. I'ma big fan of surfing in portrait mode (1400x1050) for everything except movies.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Parak

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 18:59:32 »
Alarm: TN panels in portrait are rather crappy due to vertical viewing angle becoming your horizontal. There's a reason why the vast majority of TN panels don't come with rotating stands.

Offline taswyn

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 08:32:59 »
So is the H243Hb. *facepalms* I demand 1200 vertical pixels MINIMUM. Too bad they apparently want to double the price just for the extra lines.

Then again, I was expecting this just from seeing the price tags. That's the range where you can only expect 1920x1080 TN panels when buying new.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not about the demandings =P

I look at it as being that for the price of a 1920x1200 monitor you can easily find two 1080p ones, due to the demand for 1080 LCD screens.

Unless you're working in a situation where physical space is at a premium, there's very little I can think of (oh, maybe gaming =P ) where a single 1920x1200 is at all better than two slightly lower resolution monitors. There are almost no tool sets that need 1200 vertical pixels, but there are *many* applications where the toolset is nonmodal,  non-contained child window and can be moved anywhere. For coding I don't feel like anything really beats multiple screens, being able to shove reference material onto another screen is a blessing, and if you really need to see more of what you're working on at once you can just open another view of it easily enough. I really can't think of many things outside of medical imaging where 120 extra vertical pixels is crucial or in anyway better than another 1920x1080 pixels, and for that you'd want about double the pixel density anyway =P

*remembers when she lugged a 17" trinitron and pci video card to work just so she could not go crazy from the lack of screen space*

Of course, I also prefer 21-22" 1080p screens over 24" ones, higher pixel density for those of us who don't have eyesight troubles and more space for more screens =^,^= For those who do I'm sorry =( I'm always amazed I got away with running those 17" trinitrons at 1600x1200 without causing myself any trouble... other than feeling like I was going to have a seizure whenever I turned my head, from the 60hz refresh flicker =X

Now if you wanted to complain just about TN versus IPS/etc, that's something else, and no, you're not going to find anything IPS in that range ^,^ That's a premium more like mechanical vs rubber dome, or even topre versus everything else =P *Actually* needed by some, useful to a few more, simply desired by many for various reasons (including internet braggings), with many many more completely (some might say blissfully) unaware that there's even the option/difference =^,^=

Offline theferenc

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 09:27:15 »
Actually, I also demand 1200 high. I had 2 identical (as in, 100% perfect color identical) surgical monitors at 1600x1200. When one was destroyed, I didn't want to replace it with anything that didn't line up 100% along the screen edge.

The non-linear scaling from different resolutions and dot pitches gives me a headache. So I bought the smallest Dell Ultrasharp I could find that was 1200 high. Unfortunately, that was 24".

Also, those extra 120 pixels are a serious blessing when you're writing code. If you're in an IDE, gives you more space for the build dialogs. If you're in a real editor like vi or emacs, it gives you a better view of the functions you are currently coding. Matching braces in C, for instance, becomes MUCH easier. And don't even get me started on how much easier it is to line up blocks in white space delimited languages like python.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 11:14:17 »
Quote from: taswyn;265666
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not about the demandings =P

I look at it as being that for the price of a 1920x1200 monitor you can easily find two 1080p ones, due to the demand for 1080 LCD screens.

Unless you're working in a situation where physical space is at a premium, there's very little I can think of (oh, maybe gaming =P )

And that's the thing. I play many old games that have their two highest resolutions as 1600x1200 and 1280x1024 with no option in between. My Sun GDM-5410 (FD Trinitron G1) does 1600x1200 at 95 Hz rather well. Anything less would just be a downgrade.

1600x1200 just does NOT fit into 1920x1080 no matter how you spin it. That puts me down to 1280x1024. I am NOT going to spend $150+ on a display that can't do what a $10 monitor already does well. I DEMAND that new monitors handle all the old resolutions and then some, and I don't want the HDTV standards holding everything back. (If anything, 2560x1600 should be the norm by now, ESPECIALLY on displays over 30". They clearly have the space for all those pixels-they just don't want to do it.)

Sure, multiple monitors would be nice, but I don't know what I'd do with them save for having a browser or IRC window on the secondary one or something. It probably wouldn't work out for gaming-not unless I had my ideal setup of a GDM-FW900/FD Trinitron G1W in the middle and flanked it with my two G1s (after I get the Dell P1110's flyback fixed, anyway). Then I'd at least have enough consistency to spread a newer game out over all three, but I'd likely have family members complaining about the space taken up by all of them.

As for IPS, I want it because once you see those viewing angles in person, you can't go back. It's very important when I'm using the TrackIR; color shifts would detract quite a bit from the immersion when I'm peering around and through an aircraft cockpit. Even with a more stationary view, the size of a 24" or especially a 30" panel would be large enough to have the edges shift were such panels to be TN. (Then again, I already have the perfect viewing angles I've come to expect in those Trinitrons.)

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 02:32:54 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;265735

As for IPS, I want it because once you see those viewing angles in person, you can't go back. It's very important when I'm using the TrackIR; color shifts would detract quite a bit from the immersion when I'm peering around and through an aircraft cockpit. Even with a more stationary view, the size of a 24" or especially a 30" panel would be large enough to have the edges shift were such panels to be TN. (Then again, I already have the perfect viewing angles I've come to expect in those Trinitrons.)

I have 2 Dell Ultrasharps (u2211h) with eIPS, and there really is no going back. As I do photography, the values just seem so much better when doing editing and viewing, and when you compare the colors to my older Acer and Samsugn TN panels, it is just depressing. Can't really describe it any other way than it just feels more real.

As for mutliple monitors, once you start using 2 or more you'll never want to go back. Just being able to have tons of things side by side makes comparisons and copy pasting of whatever quite nice.

Gaming with multiple monitors, well, I just have the game full screen on one, and leave all my chat and communication stuff open on other monitors. Just very convenient to not have to alt-tab to look at an IM window and such.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline taswyn

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 15:44:32 »
(If anything, 2560x1600 should be the norm by now, ESPECIALLY on displays over 30". They clearly have the space for all those pixels-they just don't want to do it.)

The problem, as with everything, is lack of broad consumer demand. There's HUGE demand for 1080p resolution screens in various sizes for watching video. It has thankfully bled over into the monitor market, leading to the very nice prices we're seeing now. 24" 1920x1200 monitors used to be *all* you could get for wide LCDs, and were easily $800 and up when new. I remember that I had a Samsung 240T that was an insane deal well used for $400 even without the $80 power supply. It retailed for over $1200. That was about eight years ago. It used PVA, and decent modern TN panels often manage to look much better than it did, not only in brightness but often even in color representation.

For *old* games, though, yes, you're right, it's one of the few niches where it's definitely an issue. Are you sure it's not something you can overcome with either custom display resolutions added in windows, or any config file work with the game itself? I used to have to do that for some things. I'm fairly sure I've seen some resources for getting some older games to run properly at wide screen ratios (not just stretched by the videocard/monitor), too. You've probably already looked into all of that, though, I know there aren't solutions for everything out there, a fair number of games were essentially hard coded to particular resolutions =/

As for IPS, I want it because once you see those viewing angles in person, you can't go back.

I have 2 Dell Ultrasharps (u2211h) with eIPS, and there really is no going back. As I do photography, the values just seem so much better when doing editing and viewing, and when you compare the colors to my older Acer and Samsugn TN panels, it is just depressing. Can't really describe it any other way than it just feels more real.

I can completely understand that feeling, it's part of why I've tried to stay away from looking at IPS monitors. At the moment I'm ok enough with reasonably good modern TNs, but I have a feeling they'd be ruined for me if I got used to using IPS. I still miss my old 700IFTs sometimes as it is. I know my Acer's color representation isn't perfect even without having a spyder to use on it, but I also don't need *perfect* color representation for anything I'm doing right now, even light web design. If I were doing any serious graphic design or any print oriented work I'm sure I'd feel differently.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 December 2010, 15:47:52 by taswyn »

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 16:03:44 »
Quote from: NamelessPFG;265735
And that's the thing. I play many old games...

...I DEMAND that new monitors handle all the old resolutions and then some...

Sure, multiple monitors would be nice, but I don't know what I'd do with them save for having a browser or IRC window on the secondary one or something. It probably wouldn't work out for gaming-not unless I had my ideal setup of a GDM-FW900/FD Trinitron G1W in the middle and flanked it with my two G1s (after I get the Dell P1110's flyback fixed, anyway). Then I'd at least have enough consistency to spread a newer game out over all three, but I'd likely have family members complaining about the space taken up by all of them.

Amen... I have not heard such wonderful words... "old gaming" and "new monitors should handle old resolutions".
That's one reason why I just play old games on my trinitron-IBM CRT. It's wonderful. AND, the glass isn't glossy! One of the very few CRTs I've seen with a matte glass surface.

Dual monitors is good if...
A) you use music software (FL studio!)
B) handle lots of text documents
C) want to multitask in two windows

But yeah, for gaming, two monitors are useless... it actually becomes more of a hassle if anything.

Quote from: WhiteRice;265136
http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/235966

I hate to burst your bubble, but the acer LCDs I used were total crap (bad colour, text bleeds, hurts the eyes, crappy viewing angle that makes everything yellow). You're better off just getting a cheap good used LCD than bother with those trash cans.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline dec.net

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 December 2010, 20:25:46 »

Unless you're working in a situation where physical space is at a premium, there's very little I can think of (oh, maybe gaming =P ) where a single 1920x1200 is at all better than two slightly lower resolution monitors.

Well, it sometimes helps to look at a page you're layoutting at 1:1 size on screen... This might just be possible with a 24inch 16:9 screen, but only if your layout program has a very slim UI, otherwise you'll have to enter control-less fullscreen mode all the time.

In terms of games, well, flight-sims come to mind, since you're usually following a target that is right above your line of sight, while trying to keep your cockpit instruments on screen at the bottom. There are even some people at the SoftTH-Forum who have an additional monitor mounted above their main screens just to provide some extra vertical space.

Chris
Daily drivers at home: \'93 IBM Model M; Currently: Model F XT (hebrew layout), adapted via Teensy.
Daily driver at University: Marquardt HEROS miliary board.
Take-with-me-board: G80-1800 (blue/black).
Boards I don\'t use: DS 102W (cherry 1800 lookalike, waterproof industrial case with ultra-mushy membrane switches). Dell AT102W (don\'t like it too much, very uneven feeling - last chance is to teflon-coat the sliders)

Offline Parak

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 00:08:19 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;266377

But yeah, for gaming, two monitors are useless... it actually becomes more of a hassle if anything.

Well, I suppose two are due to the bezel in the middle. Three, on the other hand... Let's just say that I quite enjoy my eyefinity 3600x1920 setup in games :D

Offline dec.net

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 December 2010, 08:39:17 »

Let's just say that I quite enjoy my eyefinity 3600x1920 setup in games :D

+1, triple 21" non-widescreen monitors in my case though.

Chris
Daily drivers at home: \'93 IBM Model M; Currently: Model F XT (hebrew layout), adapted via Teensy.
Daily driver at University: Marquardt HEROS miliary board.
Take-with-me-board: G80-1800 (blue/black).
Boards I don\'t use: DS 102W (cherry 1800 lookalike, waterproof industrial case with ultra-mushy membrane switches). Dell AT102W (don\'t like it too much, very uneven feeling - last chance is to teflon-coat the sliders)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 December 2010, 17:30:37 »
I use 8 monitors on my computer set-up. 4 of them run at 1024x768, one at 800x600, one at 1152x864, one at 1080x1024, and another at 1600x1200.

My computer setup's got over 10 million pixels!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Azuremen

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 18:45:23 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;268053
I use 8 monitors on my computer set-up. 4 of them run at 1024x768, one at 800x600, one at 1152x864, one at 1080x1024, and another at 1600x1200.

My computer setup's got over 10 million pixels!

And likely an equal amount of space used by bezels...
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr