Author Topic: RadioShack Electronics Tool Set $13.97 (In store deal)  (Read 8943 times)

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
RadioShack Electronics Tool Set $13.97 (In store deal)
« on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 19:35:21 »
So I stopped by my local Radio Shack today for some desoldering iron tips and the guy there starts telling me about these kits they have in the back that are on clearance. So I ask him to show me. He brings out one of these tool kits and tells me they are discontinued and replaced by a newer style set and that they are $13.97. I decided instantly I must have it.

Yeah, the tools and the soldering iron are cheap.... but it's only $14! I didn't see these kits online but you might want to check with your local RS if you are interested. It comes with all kinds of cool stuff.

14598-0
14600-1
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Re: RadioShack Electronics Tool Set $13.97 (In store deal)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:04:12 »
The wirestrippers, solder sucker, and end nippers make it worth the price alone.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline uzoc

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:09:42 »
Heck, for just the case it's nice (even if you have the tools!).

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:10:33 »
That solder sucker sucks, I really like the Soldapullt

Other than that it looks like a decent deal
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:21:37 »
whats the wattage on the iron?

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:28:09 »

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:30:50 »
only thing that seems to be missing is the smaller heads needed for alot of computers/electronics, otherwise super solid deal. crimper looks decent quality aswell..labeled and such

GG

Wait radioshack still exists? /canadian

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:33:41 »
The small parts grabber (red syringe looking thing) is probably the handiest tool in the kit. I have had one like it for years and it has been so so handy. Especially when trying to start or remove a very small screw in a cramped space

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 20:37:44 »
only thing that seems to be missing is the smaller heads needed for alot of computers/electronics, otherwise super solid deal. crimper looks decent quality aswell..labeled and such

That's what this is for:
14612-0

Got this cheap from Harbor Freight..... I love that store

No electronic gadget can withstand the array of tiny driver bits this thing has

Offline morpheus

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 22:16:44 »
That's a sweet set.

Offline phx

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 22:45:58 »
The wirestrippers, solder sucker, and end nippers make it worth the price alone.
TIL what a solder sucker is. So that's what this weird looking tube in my toolkit is.

mind blown

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 23:05:36 »
Wow, excellent deal! I'll have to drop by the local radioshack on he way in to work.

Thanks very much for this.

Offline h2gofast

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 18:54:18 »
there's two RS's on the way to work.  Must not spend money...

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 19:23:46 »
Got this cheap from Harbor Freight..... I love that store

We call it China Row around here... and its getting harder and harder to laugh each time the 'tool' were using manages to completely ruin itself rendering it basically 'disposable'.

Although they may have cost more: think of back when every tool your fathers/grandfathers etc. bought it said MADE IN USA and those tools are still around, working just fine. Kinda makes ya hate that store... lol

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 20:36:34 »
I don't buy serious tools there. And you're right, a lot of their stuff is crap. But for some things, it's great. Like zip ties. Or I bought a 4lb hammer that I rarely use.

I also bought some ball joint pullers for some work on my car that I'm probably only ever going to use onece realistically so I saw no reason to spend big bucks on a name brand. But I totally agree that it won't hold a candle to craftsman or snap on, etc

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 00:49:36 »
At work all the craftsman screwdrivers keep snapping in half. Even the slightly nicer Kobalt ones break after 6 months or so. All the technicians have switched to Wiha except me. I obstinately refuse to replace my screwdrivers, and am using a heavily modified no-name that I cobbled together. It's all about graphite lube.

FWIW, I work in computer repair, and take out/replace about 30-60 screws per repair on average. Several hundred a day at least.

Other than "The large electronics tool set" is there any way of identifying this to the people in the store? I want to give them a call tomorrow and see if they have any left (or had any in the first place. I'm not sure if my local radioshack even still carries solder)

Offline bear95

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 18:44:01 »
Got one! The price tag said $52 but I took it to the counter and when they scanned it was $14. I almost left thinking that they didn't offer it at that specific store. Its not very good quality but I do not have many tools and I think its a good supplemental starter set especially at that price.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 20:00:45 »
I had to go to 3 stores to find one.

At the first 2 they looked at me like I was crazy and had never heard of anything like it. They said that there are different regional inventories around the country. But, when I walked around, each store had a similar set (the new one) for $50-ish.

I had given up, but a client called me in my car to delay a meeting by 20 minutes this afternoon, and I knew of another Radio Shack a couple of miles away, so I swung by. The 2 guys working there were far too cool to help me, but then a jolly young girl came out and walked me directly back to the one remaining set.

At less than a quarter per piece, I am sure that it will prove worthwhile. There are several items in there that I didn't have.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 20:18:24 »
Yeah I would have never known about it if the guy hadn't told me he had them in the back. They weren't even out on a shelf.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: RadioShack Electronics Tool Set $13.97 (In store deal)
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 20:55:59 »
I had to go to 3 stores to find one.

At the first 2 they looked at me like I was crazy and had never heard of anything like it. They said that there are different regional inventories around the country. But, when I walked around, each store had a similar set (the new one) for $50-ish.

I had given up, but a client called me in my car to delay a meeting by 20 minutes this afternoon, and I knew of another Radio Shack a couple of miles away, so I swung by. The 2 guys working there were far too cool to help me, but then a jolly young girl came out and walked me directly back to the one remaining set.

At less than a quarter per piece, I am sure that it will prove worthwhile. There are several items in there that I didn't have.
Girl at Le Shack?
* SmallFry dashes to the nearest Radio Shack to check its female population.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 10:50:40 »
At my radioshack, they had it, but the price was $50.

Also, my bike frame is cracked and I cant move my neck due to an accident I had. This was not a productive trip.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 11:52:48 »

Also, my bike frame is cracked and I cant move my neck due to an accident I had. This was not a productive trip.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

The newer $50 sets did not look to be as good as these on sale. This one even has a T9 socket, not an easy piece to find, and what you need to open a hard drive.

I have never used a solder sucker before. This one looks kind of hard to use.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:00:18 »

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

The newer $50 sets did not look to be as good as these on sale. This one even has a T9 socket, not an easy piece to find, and what you need to open a hard drive.

I have never used a solder sucker before. This one looks kind of hard to use.

Yeah, sorry to hear that. Also, I agree that this particular sold sucker blows. It might be usable with a heat gun? but I tried using it with an iron and I was not impressed.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 12:02:24 »
Heading to RS tomorrow in hopes of finding this deal. Crazy good to have this set around even if the solder sucker doesn't work well.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline bear95

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 14:23:26 »
When the price was $50, did you guys make sure and ask them to scan it first?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 16:48:04 »

I did, no no avail. I also asked if there were any similar items in back. The guy was pretty unhelpful, though. I'll go back later and hope there's someone else.

Anyway to differentiate between them? The one they had out looked pretty similar to the one pictured in the OP.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 19:03:32 »
I had a lot of driving today. I stopped in at 2 more Radio Shacks and nobody knew anything about them.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 22:09:28 »

I did, no no avail. I also asked if there were any similar items in back. The guy was pretty unhelpful, though. I'll go back later and hope there's someone else.

Anyway to differentiate between them? The one they had out looked pretty similar to the one pictured in the OP.

That's too bad you had no luck. this link has the part number in it. I just pulled the part number off of the bar code label and googled it and this page came up. MPN is 6400078 UPC is 4029302442

Maybe that info will help?

edit: Maybe we should buy some to resell on ebay, geez: link
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2013, 22:13:28 by whiskytango »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 01:41:58 »
Looking closely at the pictures, my radioshack has a different version. The case was more angled on the corners and clear, whereas the case in these pictures, the eBay auction and radioshack's online store has rounded corners and is opaque

Radioshack has the 60-piece tool kit (instead of the 61-piece detailed here) on their website (with a different product code)
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=17730506

I will try again tomorrow. I remain valiant! There's another one within biking distance, and a third that's "local". I'll call that one and check the MPN.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 02:34:30 »

That's too bad you had no luck. this link has the part number in it. I just pulled the part number off of the bar code label and googled it and this page came up. MPN is 6400078 UPC is 4029302442

Maybe that info will help?

edit: Maybe we should buy some to resell on ebay, geez: link

Proxy me one!

Offline orlando

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 14:46:28 »
Thanks for posting this, picked one up today!  ;D