Author Topic: [IC] Cosplay TKL, an F13 WK TKL | FnF gb unit pics added, IC updated!  (Read 22946 times)

Offline keebhoarder.

• WLOP Enjoyer.
Intro

Hello fellow weebs! I'm Keebhoarder. from Waifu.Works and we're here to bring you a waifu board.
The board is based on a character who's really fond of cosplaying and gives out peace signs like a pro.
As a fan of the show, I felt that there should be a board about her. In fact, there were 3 other people who
agreed with me. So we decided to make a collective and, together with our designer, designed a board
with her as the centerpiece.

IC Form

Google Forms

Technical

• Dark Purple/Red Wine Anodized Aluminum top and bottom
  • Sandblasted weight (subject to change)
  • Top or O-ring mount
  • 1.6mm Hotswap PCB w/ QMK and VIA support
  • 6.9° Typing angle
  • ~4.0lbs/1.81kg Unbuilt
  • Magnetic aluminum badge above right arrow: Shizukutan badge for Dark Purple, Rizu badge for Wine Red. Marin badge is available as extra.
  • Removable Peace Sign F13 blocker
  • Silver Alu Plate (subject to change)
  • Centered USB port
  • Cherry-lipped; sloped on all sides

Layout

- WK
- F13 w/ Blocker
- 6.25u Bottom Row / 7u Bottom Row (Tsangan)
- Regular/Stepped Caps Lock
- ANSI / ISO Support
- Split Right Shift Support
- Split Left Shift Support
- Split Backspace Support

Vendors and Pricing

Target price: ~$500-600
Vendors: TBD
Estimated GB date: Q4

Base Kit

— Top case
— Bottom case
— Aluminum plate
— Sandblasted Brass or Sandblasted SS Weight (Polished SS is render-only)
— Hotswap PCB + Daughterboard
— Magnetic Badge (Purple > Shizukutan badge, Red > Rizukyun badge, & Marin badge as purchasable extra)
— Removable Aluminum F13 Blocker
— Screws, bumpons, and forcebreak pads
— Carrying case

Renders

All renders made by: Beesley#0001 (https://www.b-imaginative.com/)

Proto

Courtesy of TofuTypes

More

FnF units

Cosplay TKL: Prisoner Veronica Ver.

More

Cosplay TKL: Black Lobelia Ver.

More

Sound

Tofu_Types - Cosplay TKL: Black Lobelia Ver.

Media

TofuTypes

Links

It me, Keebhoarder.
Discord: https://discord.gg/waifuworks
Discord handle: Keebhoarder.#2021
Instagram: keebhoarder
Reddit: u/Keebhoarder
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 August 2023, 20:43:41 by keebhoarder. »

Offline keebhoarder.

• WLOP Enjoyer.
Re: [IC] Cosplay TKL, an F13 WK TKL
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 03:47:16 »
Update v1.0(27.9.22)

- Proto on its way to TofuTypes
- PCB (Solanis) bricked, but shouldn't affect typing test

Update v1.1(10.10.22)

- Proto pics provided
- Video (by TofuTypes) will be out tomorrow. Will be linked once available.

Update v1.1(11.10.22)

- Video (by TofuTypes) added!

Update v1.2(12.10.22)

- Added ISO and Split Left Shift support, removed split spacebar support

Update v2(8.7.23)

- FnF Groupbuy concluded.
- Added more photos.
- IC updated.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 August 2023, 18:25:11 by keebhoarder. »

Offline Sissy

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 03:55:55 »
This isn't my waifu.
A waifu is for laifu, not a seasonalfu.

Offline xLeHoy

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 03:57:31 »
Reserved

Offline TjarleN

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 05:31:55 »
your renders show a not supported layout

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 05:54:05 »
PCB layout support so based
ISO isn't real

Offline LMarci

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 05:58:39 »
No proto.
Renders showing a non-supported layout.
PCB barely supports anything. fixed, good job
Any vendors?
Unit count?
Plate pics/renders?
Internals???

Yet the GB is planned for q1 2023. With that said, an overall pretty sussy IC.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 September 2022, 02:54:51 by LMarci »

Offline stotle.caps

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 06:15:05 »
badge positioning kinda monka but ig its a personal preference
render shows normie bottom row
no proto, no internal showcase
kinda like the side profile tho
best of luck for the IC

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 06:34:09 »
The bottom profile is really fun!

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 07:57:18 »
I can certainly say this is one of the keyboards of all time

Offline stidal

• milo#3939
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 08:13:18 »
$500-600 with 0 layout support, 0 good color options, and anime IP on weights and badges? pass
transition tkl // aksara ce // bully // valhalla // voyager // rs60 // adiuvare // ciel60 // jules // prime e // ut47.2 // sequence // bumper // q1 // gaff60

Offline of_sam

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 08:28:11 »
Got me criminally mixed up.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 10:29:38 »
I'm Keebhoarder. from Waifu.Works

Please tell me you didn't actually register a company under this name.

Anyways...

The board definitely has a "theme" going on. It's very weeby which is an incredibly polarizing aesthetic in the hobby and I assume most of the unnecessarily rude comments are coming from people who associate anime with the devil or whatever similar negative energy they believe in, maybe ominous Feng Shui...

To me the board feels very crammed with all aesthetic add-ons. You've got 2 engraved badges on top, an engraved weight and extruded bones and circles (?) on the bottom and the whole design of the bottom in general. This in combination with the chamfer that's going all around the board makes it all feel very busy. Probably too busy for its own good. This keyboard isn't big enough to hold all your ambitions! I do appreciate the design of the bottom though, it's very creative, fun and alive looking.

Lots of people are complaining about the PCB compatibility but I don't see the issue; it's hotswap. If anything, letting us choose between a regular and stepped Caps Lock is already pretty good for a hotswap PCB. Having 7u bottom row on it is a tasteful decision. Consider adding a PCB for that dumb layout with a big Enter key, some people will appreciate it.

There are no renders or internals or the plate, you should show us this ASAP.

You're planning to sell this board in Q1, but you don't even have a prototype on hand. This is a big red flag for anyone who is actually interested in buying this keyboard; when the designer is ready to sell their board before any kind of testing. What do you do if it feels or sounds bad? Go along with the GB and deliver a bad keyboard to everyone because you have meet deadlines? IMO you shouldn't have a GB date until you're completely satisfied with it.

Get rid of the estimate GB date, work on getting the prototype, talk to vendors and add more info/renders to the IC. Once you've got the proto in your hands make sure to test it thoroughly and compare it to other boards you have, send it to some friends to hear their opinions as well or even bring it to a meetup. GLWIC!

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 10:50:35 »
Why are weebs a thing.

Why.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline lbassett21

• Plastic and Metal Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 10:55:19 »
Disregarding the design........ What's the point of having an IC when you have a planned GB date? Interest checks are meant to gauge interest in your design, not just be another step in a premade road map. Get rid of that GB date and actually try to gauge interest in your design to see if there is enough demand for the board itself which god, I hope not.

Discord: Bassett#0001 | Reddit: /u/lbassett_21 | Instagram: BassettKeebs
Current Collection:
More
Keyboards:
OTD 360 Corsa | Kira80 | FMJ 80 | Matrix 8xv2.0 | Matrix 8xv1.2og | IBM SSK 1395217 (Stock Trading)Hiney TKL One PCHiney TKL One FNF | G81-3077SAU | G81-3007SAU | G80-9039HAAUS | HHKB Pro 2 Type S | Realforce 84ubLunar 2Sord KB-101 | Percent Canoe | G80-3190HSU | Alps64Xerox 6085 Keyboard | IBM 5576-001 | IBM Model M 1390131 | IBM Industrial Model M 1394946 | IBM Model M SSK 1393691 (SABRE) | IBM Model M 1393464 | HHKB Pro Hybrid Type S | Dell AT101 | Leading Edge DC3014 | IBM Model F AT | IBM Model F122 | G80-0693 | G80-0528 | G81-3100SDU | G80-1838HPU | DAS 2 (G80-3485LWNUS-2 | Texas Instruments Keyboard (SKCM Brown) | G80-9002LBBXX

Keycaps:
ESA-3000-HASR0 | G81-3077SAU | G81-3100SAU | BMOL 5206 UP (Desko Color) | BMOL 4000 U (Desko) | GMK Solarized Penumbra | Desko Black (1/10) | GMK Beta JS | IBM APL2 w/Box 1395624

Offline LegendsWorks

• thocc
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 11:17:30 »
****ing weebs

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 13:29:14 »
Disregarding the design........ What's the point of having an IC when you have a planned GB date? Interest checks are meant to gauge interest in your design, not just be another step in a premade road map. Get rid of that GB date and actually try to gauge interest in your design to see if there is enough demand for the board itself which god, I hope not.
This man def not getting the interest he was probably wanting :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DraconicVision

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 14:04:20 »
This is getting so much unjust hate just because it's anime. I think it's a cool design. Some photos and sound tests would be great. :) More info on the mount too please!

Sent from my POCO F2 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Sax_______

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 15:04:14 »
Weebs have gone too far

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 15:56:12 »
Board is disturbing.
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline Keeblet_257

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 15:57:42 »
Do you know the sales format, potential unitcount and potential vendors for this? Seeing you have a estimated sales time of Q1 which isnt that far away, Id assume that you have these things already sorted out. (Hopefully)

Offline keebhoarder.

• WLOP Enjoyer.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 16:29:18 »
Thank you for the replies, constructive or not.

That layout pic def wasn't relaying all the info. I apologize. Now it's fixed, based on the PCB's actual capabilities.

I'd also like to address the render. The support should be on the right shift, not the left. It also shows 6.25u support, but we're firm with Tsangan and Tsangan split sb. We'll have this fixed. Thank you for pointing this out and I apologize for the confusion.

Proto does exist, but the person who has it at the moment doesn't have the means to put out a good soundtest and photos. They'll be on their way to someone with more experience in that regard.

Renders of the internals and an exploded view will be provided.

As for the case colors, I'm afraid we can't budge on the options because they're essentially the color scheme of the character's cosplays.

I can certainly say this is one of the keyboards of all time

It is definitely one of the keyboards. Yes.

I'm Keebhoarder. from Waifu.Works

Please tell me you didn't actually register a company under this name.

Anyways...

The board definitely has a "theme" going on. It's very weeby which is an incredibly polarizing aesthetic in the hobby and I assume most of the unnecessarily rude comments are coming from people who associate anime with the devil or whatever similar negative energy they believe in, maybe ominous Feng Shui...

To me the board feels very crammed with all aesthetic add-ons. You've got 2 engraved badges on top, an engraved weight and extruded bones and circles (?) on the bottom and the whole design of the bottom in general. This in combination with the chamfer that's going all around the board makes it all feel very busy. Probably too busy for its own good. This keyboard isn't big enough to hold all your ambitions! I do appreciate the design of the bottom though, it's very creative, fun and alive looking.

Lots of people are complaining about the PCB compatibility but I don't see the issue; it's hotswap. If anything, letting us choose between a regular and stepped Caps Lock is already pretty good for a hotswap PCB. Having 7u bottom row on it is a tasteful decision. Consider adding a PCB for that dumb layout with a big Enter key, some people will appreciate it.

There are no renders or internals or the plate, you should show us this ASAP.

You're planning to sell this board in Q1, but you don't even have a prototype on hand. This is a big red flag for anyone who is actually interested in buying this keyboard; when the designer is ready to sell their board before any kind of testing. What do you do if it feels or sounds bad? Go along with the GB and deliver a bad keyboard to everyone because you have meet deadlines? IMO you shouldn't have a GB date until you're completely satisfied with it.

Get rid of the estimate GB date, work on getting the prototype, talk to vendors and add more info/renders to the IC. Once you've got the proto in your hands make sure to test it thoroughly and compare it to other boards you have, send it to some friends to hear their opinions as well or even bring it to a meetup. GLWIC!

Thank you for your in-depth view of this.

The "bones and circles" are actually the ear piercings the character uses. IYKYK type of thing. They also serve to help you get a better grip if you hold the keyboard from the sides.

I agree. Perhaps adding the GB date is a bit too presumptive. Removing it entirely (for now) is definitely being considered. After all, we do want people to be able to buy the board at the most optimal time.

This is getting so much unjust hate just because it's anime. I think it's a cool design. Some photos and sound tests would be great. :) More info on the mount too please!

Sent from my POCO F2 Pro using Tapatalk

We'll give more information about the mount when the time comes. We'd also get someone to assemble it on camera to see the assembly process. The exploded view render should also help show the mounting points for the top mount option. Please stay tuned and thank you for your support!

Do you know the sales format, potential unitcount and potential vendors for this? Seeing you have a estimated sales time of Q1 which isnt that far away, Id assume that you have these things already sorted out. (Hopefully)

Sales format is group buy. As for unit count, we're looking at the IC to help us decide on that. Right now we're looking at 100. As for vendors, we're also letting the IC decide on that.

The planned gb date was more so that we don't slack off, but if it happens to fall in Q1, then we're more than happy to do that. I understand that adjusting everything according to IC in time for the planned gb date isn't likely possible, but we could always move it back if anything.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2022, 19:04:32 by keebhoarder. »

Offline TjarleN

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 27 September 2022, 22:08:54 »
Appreciate the explanation behind design and fix of the layout pic.
Personally even though I do like the source this refers to I don't think I need a keyboard that references it.
Still looking forward to pictures of the proto and where this is going. Good luck with the project.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 September 2022, 22:43:44 by TjarleN »

Offline alp381

• How Do I Code?
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 28 September 2022, 00:16:44 »
Idk if like the the F13 badge, but otherwise the design is pretty nice

Offline soundstage

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 28 September 2022, 06:20:57 »
You need to explain which colour offers magnetic badge in your IC form.

Offline keebhoarder.

• WLOP Enjoyer.
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 28 September 2022, 15:06:12 »
You need to explain which colour offers magnetic badge in your IC form.

I apologize for the confusion. It's fixed now so it's more clear.

Offline Jho

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 28 September 2022, 18:20:35 »
I don't know how likely I'd get it because of price. But just want to say cosplay waifu is incredible. Also love that back weight.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 29 September 2022, 22:41:09 »
Consider adding a PCB for that dumb layout with a big Enter key, some people will appreciate it.

I am one of those people. I acknowledge and agree my layout is dumb, but uh: since you already have pretty goog layout options I am wondering if you might consider split left shift and our big-ass enter for this.

I know it ****s with ANSI enter's stabilisers but, uh, counterpoint: please. It would be nice. Oregano go sai mass.

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 01 October 2022, 12:53:55 »
If anyone is in the market for a good pair of eyes, hmu so I don't have to see this bottom again

Offline keebhoarder.

• WLOP Enjoyer.
Re: [IC] Cosplay TKL, an F13 WK TKL | Proto Pics added!
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 10 October 2022, 13:59:44 »
Proto pics have been added! Media will be linked here once it's available on youtube. Thank you for your patience.

Consider adding a PCB for that dumb layout with a big Enter key, some people will appreciate it.

I am one of those people. I acknowledge and agree my layout is dumb, but uh: since you already have pretty goog layout options I am wondering if you might consider split left shift and our big-ass enter for this.

I know it ****s with ANSI enter's stabilisers but, uh, counterpoint: please. It would be nice. Oregano go sai mass.

I'm not really sure about that big enter key, but we're for sure going to try to accommodate for those who also want a split left shift. Good thing nothing is set in stone yet, so we're definitely going to explore options.

I don't know how likely I'd get it because of price. But just want to say cosplay waifu is incredible. Also love that back weight.

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. We'll try to lower the price for sure, as even for us, it's really pricey at the moment.

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
Re: [IC] Cosplay TKL, an F13 WK TKL | Proto Pics added!
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 14:24:21 »
That anodization looks absolutely terrible. Hope you will go to another factory for the official group buy.

Offline keebhoarder.

• WLOP Enjoyer.
Re: [IC] Cosplay TKL, an F13 WK TKL | Proto Pics and Video added!
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 07 August 2023, 18:25:47 »
Updated after a long time. FnF group buy just recently concluded and IC form is updated.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 07 August 2023, 18:57:38 »
I was intrigued by this but a lot can change in a year (or nearly) and I think the market's turned down a bit since. For me personally I know I no longer have a spare $5-600 to drop on this (granted that's anecdotal). I don't want to doomerpost and say "give up," but I think pausing to consider if this is the best time might be prudent. Right now the budget end of the hobby is booming and price trends going downwards might work against this. You're obviously going all out on this and I guess it's just a matter of hoping there's demand.

Of course, in contrast to what I just said it's possible weebs and their suspiciously deep pockets mean this gets made. I don't really base this on anything but noticing overall prices are trending downwards and people are preferring in-stock to GBs, other keycap vendors to GMK, etc. I hope you've given it some thought.

Positive feedback: the FnF units look enormously better than those earlier prototypes!
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 August 2023, 19:00:19 by aicyborg »

Offline keebhoarder.

• WLOP Enjoyer.
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 09 August 2023, 21:22:41 »
I was intrigued by this but a lot can change in a year (or nearly) and I think the market's turned down a bit since. For me personally I know I no longer have a spare $5-600 to drop on this (granted that's anecdotal). I don't want to doomerpost and say "give up," but I think pausing to consider if this is the best time might be prudent. Right now the budget end of the hobby is booming and price trends going downwards might work against this. You're obviously going all out on this and I guess it's just a matter of hoping there's demand.

Of course, in contrast to what I just said it's possible weebs and their suspiciously deep pockets mean this gets made. I don't really base this on anything but noticing overall prices are trending downwards and people are preferring in-stock to GBs, other keycap vendors to GMK, etc. I hope you've given it some thought.

Positive feedback: the FnF units look enormously better than those earlier prototypes!

The trend is definitely going against us. There's so many cheaper options nowadays that it's getting impossible to get a good amount of people to buy into the board. This is the biggest reason why we'd rather move to more private group buys for the other projects in our server. After talking to some friends and the group buys they're running, it's definitely disheartening to hear that even their stuff can barely reach MOQ. If we can't get enough interest going, we're going to have to go private for this one as well. The last IC garnered enough replies that I'd feel bad if we can't get this board to run just as many units. I definitely understand that there's so much that can change in a year, and that the same people might not even have the same interest or just want to avoid group buys altogether. We'll see how the second IC goes very closely.

I appreciate the positive feedback immensely! The prototype certainly wasn't even close to the ano we wanted, so we're really just glad that the improvement is glaringly obvious to at least one person's eyes.

Offline keebhoarder.

• WLOP Enjoyer.
Re: [IC] Cosplay TKL, an F13 WK TKL | FnF gb unit pics added, IC updated!
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 12:08:13 »
Bump!