Author Topic: New Mac purchase.  (Read 3914 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
New Mac purchase.
« on: Tue, 23 October 2007, 09:32:25 »
As many of you know, I have been preparing for my return home to the states and contemplating my next Mac purchase.  Although I had initially decided on a 24" iMac, the screen issues as well as my desire for mobile OS X goodness has swayed me to the MacBook and MacBook Pros.

I've had some concerns regarding the MBP's, as I remember them being a bit less sturdy than the MacBooks (more flex in the chassis) and I was unsure as to the quality of their keyboards (compared to the MacBooks).  However, I ALSO have some concerns regarding the MB's as the GMA950 integrated graphics is getting pretty long in the tooth (and I doubt will be up to snuff when Starcraft 2 rolls around).  ;)

Today, I was able to get some quality time in with a current gen 17" MBP.  To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.  First off, the chassis is VERY strong and sturdy.  Although the system is ridiculously thin, it is rock solid.  Not that I would make a habit of it, but you can easily pick it up by a corner and not worry about stressing the insides.  The keyboard was also much better than expected.  I thought I remembered there being some "mushiness" with these MBP keyboards...I was mistaken.  Very solid and decent feel (for a laptop keyboard).  Feels a LOT like the keyboard on my ThinkPads (and that is saying a lot).

So, I have to say that my reservations regarding the MBP's have been proven unjustified.  I believe when I am ready to buy, I will consider the MB if it has been Santa Rosa-refreshed by then...if not, I will happily buy a MBP.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New Mac purchase.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 October 2007, 10:11:36 »
Cool, and after you buy it, you can ship it directly to my house!

Offline iMav

Re: New Mac purchase.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 November 2007, 08:18:48 »
Quote from: iMav
However, I ALSO have some concerns regarding the MB's as the GMA950 integrated graphics is getting pretty long in the tooth (and I doubt will be up to snuff when Starcraft 2 rolls around).  ;)

Well, now that the MacBooks have officially been refreshed (Santa Rosa, x3100 integrated graphics, 4GB ram addressable, AND a bit lighter), I'm on the fence again.  ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New Mac purchase.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 November 2007, 10:56:52 »
I say stick with the idea of an MBP. Santa Rosa can't magically make the GMA950 not suck.

Offline iMav

New Mac purchase.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 November 2007, 17:43:45 »
Quote from: xsphat
I say stick with the idea of an MBP. Santa Rosa can't magically make the GMA950 not suck.

You miss the point.  The integrated graphics that come along with the SR chipset is the X3100.  A MARKED improvement over the GMA950.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New Mac purchase.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 November 2007, 18:41:07 »
See, that is why I'm active in forums. This was something I never knew about. Hell, now I may have to look into upgrading.

Offline iMav

New Mac purchase.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 November 2007, 18:48:44 »
Quote from: xsphat
See, that is why I'm active in forums. This was something I never knew about. Hell, now I may have to look into upgrading.

The improved integrated graphics and the ability to now address 4GB of ram are the two biggies for me.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New Mac purchase.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 November 2007, 19:05:19 »
You think I might finally be able to play Painkiller?

Offline tripwire

New Mac purchase.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 November 2007, 04:35:27 »
Barefeats tested the 3D performance of the new MB
http://www.barefeats.com/mbook.html