Author Topic: [WTB] Model-F-XT clone with Cherry switches  (Read 26313 times)

Offline AJM

• Trade Count: (0)
[WTB] Model-F-XT clone with Cherry switches
« on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 13:45:28 »
Hi,

I'm looking for a Model-F-XT clone with Cherry switches.

Important details:
- layout exactly like Model-F-XT (small left Shift, 2u vertical Enter (no BAE!), numpad-"+" may differ)
- consistently stepped keys (as on original)
- works with Soarer's converter
- case could be yellowed, but should otherwise be in good condition

Nice to have:
- German key caps
- seller located in EU/Germany
- metal inserts in screw holes of case

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: [WTB] Model-F-XT clone with Cherry switches
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 10:51:15 »
Hi,

I'm looking for a Model-F-XT clone with Cherry switches.

Important details:
- layout exactly like Model-F-XT (small left Shift, 2u vertical Enter (no BAE!), numpad-"+" may differ)
- consistently stepped keys (as on original)
- works with Soarer's converter
- case could be yellowed, but should otherwise be in good condition

Nice to have:
- German key caps
- seller located in EU/Germany
- metal inserts in screw holes of case

Is this something that already exists, or are you looking to have someone create this? Never heard of this before, but it almost sounds like you want someone to mod a Model F-XT for this.

Offline AJM

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 17:31:53 »
Oh, such a keyboard certainly exists. I had seen it in a YouTube video and sometime later thought, that could be something for me:
My favourite layout, which isn't available as a modern custom keyboard at the moment and if I don't like the original switches I can replace them with lubed Healios.
But at that point I couldn't find the video again, so I couldn't even say, what the keyboard is called.

The funny thing is, 10 seconds after I posted my request here, I did - again - go to eBay and searched for "vintage keyboard" and the very first offer that came up was exactly the keyboard from the YouTube video!
(And as it turns out - it doesn't have a name.)

226959-0
226961-1

Unfortunately I was just outbid on this keyboard. And tragically, the new owner will probably harvest the vintage blacks and throw the rest away, while I would primarily be interested in this "rest".  :'(

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 September 2019, 03:07:42 by AJM »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 23:09:58 »
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Key_Tronic_Model_F_clone_series

That has to be a some sort of keytronic board.  The %5 key is unmistakable for BTC/Keytronic

How do you know for sure they were MX switches?  That would be a heck of a discovery.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 September 2019, 23:14:33 by pixelpusher »

Offline AJM

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 03:04:36 »
There were more pictures in the listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-PC-Keyboard-Made-in-Taiwan-no-brand-specified-cherry-mx-black-switches-/323919290614?nma=true&si=mP8eZEl7xaDLyXNxSAFgiwV5r%252Bw%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I've brightened up one of the pictures. Interestingly something like "PDC" appeared on the switches, but they're certainly MX style, right?

226979-0

The shape of the case I have seen on a lot of keyboards so far, but there are more variants to how the underside looks.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 14:36:57 »
Never seen one of these before.

Those caps are 乇乂ㄒ尺卂ㄒ卄丨匚匚 though, so I'd be interested to see a teardown of this if you grab it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2019, 14:46:01 by DALExSNAIL »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 14:44:18 »
It's certainly an oddity.  I've looked and looked and cannot find any information about this board or these switches.  Looking forward to finding out more.

Offline Switch Master

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 November 2022, 18:32:57 »
Hello, I know this is an old topic, but if either of you are still interested in information about the keyboard I have an identical one with real cherry blacks. It's not for sale, but I'll put some pictures here in case anyone else is interested. I've got it hooked up to my XT (It has a five-pin connector), and it works like a charm. My only issue is that occasionally the keys will double press, and they're somewhat scratchy.
293732-0293734-1293736-2293738-3293740-4

Offline blur410

• Memewhile in World of Tanks...
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 November 2022, 19:29:40 »
Cool stuff, makes me want a custom MX AT/XT layout revival in the custom space.
Keyboard Ownership History: Dynex(Rubber dome chicklet keys)-EXTINCT, Macbook Air 2016(Scissor switch)-ACTIVE, Razer Ornata(Mecha-membrane)-EXTINCT, Corsair K68 RGB(Cherry MX Reds)-RETIRED, Razer Tartarus Pro(Razer optical analog)-RETIRED, Idobao ID-75(NK Creams)-SHELF, HHKB Pro 3 Classic(Topre BKE MX Mount)-ACTIVE, New Model F62(Capacitive buckling springs)-ACTIVE, Realforce 23UB(Topre)-ACTIVE, BM60-RGBEC w/KBDFANS 5 Degree Case(NK BOX Pinks)-SHELF, Focus 2001 (Alps White)-SHELF, Unidentified Vintage MX Black Board-SHELF

Offline AJM

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 December 2022, 01:58:47 »
Thanks for the additional pictures.  :thumb:
In the meantime I've pretty much found my "endgame" keyboard with the custom "W1-AT", but I'm still a bit obsessed with these stepped keycaps, which haven't been replicated by the modern market, yet.

Offline blur410

• Memewhile in World of Tanks...
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 December 2023, 09:12:20 »
Necro again I know but they did have DCS Input run a while back for 40% keyboards, that set included a bunch of stepped caps.
Keyboard Ownership History: Dynex(Rubber dome chicklet keys)-EXTINCT, Macbook Air 2016(Scissor switch)-ACTIVE, Razer Ornata(Mecha-membrane)-EXTINCT, Corsair K68 RGB(Cherry MX Reds)-RETIRED, Razer Tartarus Pro(Razer optical analog)-RETIRED, Idobao ID-75(NK Creams)-SHELF, HHKB Pro 3 Classic(Topre BKE MX Mount)-ACTIVE, New Model F62(Capacitive buckling springs)-ACTIVE, Realforce 23UB(Topre)-ACTIVE, BM60-RGBEC w/KBDFANS 5 Degree Case(NK BOX Pinks)-SHELF, Focus 2001 (Alps White)-SHELF, Unidentified Vintage MX Black Board-SHELF

Offline AJM

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 December 2023, 13:33:49 »
Thanks for the hint.  :thumb:  I couldn't find any photographic evidence for stepped keys in a "DCS Input" set, but there also was a "DCS Classic" set, which looks quite promising. Nothing of that is available at the moment, though.