geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

PCB generator and helper plugin for KiCad

<< < (2/6) > >>

Gorbon:
Hi adamws and thank you for making this. It's such a great tool and I've used quite often lately.

One thing I found, is that when selecting the ai03 library, it causes an exception, halfway through the process.

Also, as you mention in your guide, routing seems to fail for some rotated switches.

adamws:
thanks for feedback!
One of the big issues is that I do not have any tests at this moment and I'm checking things manually - indeed ai03 lib is not working anymore and I didn't catch that.
Also, I still need to improve error reporting mechanism - because some of the processing steps are started as sub-processes, the error message in popup is not very helpful (it only points to failed step but exact reason is lost - I do not store job history on the server).

Routing for rotations is another part to be improved, I will try to fix it somewhere down the line.

and just a note, to anyone using it - github issues are welcome. Posting it here is also fine.

edit: ai03 is fixed now

npeng:
I had this error but I figured it out.

adamws:
Improved switch-diode routing for rotated switches:
before:

after (track is rotated same as switch/diode):

started some quality checking/examples: https://github.com/adamws/kicad-kbplacer/tree/master/examples

StormyMonday:
Sorry to necro this, but more folks need to be aware of and use this project.

I just stumbled on this tool and it looks very promising. But, being a noob, I have failed to convince it to function correctly for me.

Issues
I uploaded perhaps a half dozen JSON files files from the Keyboard Layout Editor, but a few of them do not render at all and one rendered incorrectly, no matter which Project Options I chose.
For instance:
My Kyria layout will not render at all, nor did another layout that I am currently working on, which is a 60% ortholinear layout that resembles a Planck, but with staggered columns. In each case I received an error message that wasn't particularly helpful. Here is an example:

--- Code: ---{ "exc_message": "Traceback (most recent call last):\n File \"/kicad/src/tasks.py\", line 69, in generate_kicad_project\n log_path = kicad.new_pcb(task_id, task_request, __update_percentage)\nException: Preview render failed\n", "exc_type": "Exception" }

--- End code ---
My Iris layout does render, but both haves of this split board render as one single, large PCB, instead of two separate pieces. I suppose that this makes sense and I should have submitted this layout one half (one PCB) at a time..
Other layouts, such as a standard 60% and a Cherry 1800 layout render just fine.

That said, of all of the layouts that did render, I had a problem when clicking on the "Download Project" button. In each case, all I received was a zero length file. I tried temporarily disabling my firewall, but this brought me no joy.

Anywho, this is a brilliant project that more folks should be test driving, so I thought that I'd offer some feedback.

Thanks for your efforts!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version