Author Topic: [IC] Type75 - 75% retro style mechanical keyboard (UPDATED 2024)  (Read 13125 times)

Offline snurrebassen

• mechanical keyboard designer and enthusiast
    • Linktree
[IC] Type75 - 75% retro style mechanical keyboard (UPDATED 2024)
« on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 08:22:35 »

Type75
by snurrebassen
Links

Hello! I'm snurrebassen and I'm into keyboard design, with a background of 3D and graphic design.

Update January 2024

ˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇ

More
This IC has gone through a few changes since the initial post.

Currently planning and shortlisting colors.

I've tried to boil down the general idea of the feedback I've gotten here and on discord and Instagram, and made a few changes. Here's a quick rundown of the changes from the first rendition of the IC:

- Removed sticker/logo/branding on top side.
- Separate frame for the top, you can either have the same color on both or have a two-tone top. Thank Full for this.
- Cleaned up the layouts, removed the "true original" layout, changed split space to 3u x 2.
- Added a weight after all - designed with Antipode in mind.
- Cleaned up the mounting points for the plate.*
- Implemented an optional gasket mounting system.*

* To be tested with the prototype, might change.

ˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ

Background:

Previously, I have designed Edda, a norse themed Alice-clone, run as a small limited group buy through the norwegian vendor 'Mekanisk' - an international GB is on the horizon somewhere, sometime soon.
Another project is Eclipse, an FRL-TKL minimal custom keyboard, which was my first and initial project.
Due to a lot of global events and circumstances this project was significantly delayed, but it was shipped end of the year 2023.

During 2023, I started working on a concept of a retro 75% keyboard and here is the Type75:

Design:

First and foremost, if it is not obvious, the looks of the keyboard is inspired by various retro boards like the Cherry G80-1800 and G80-1000HAD.

The keyboard is designed with a bottom plate mounting system, meaning the plate is fastened with screws on the bottom part of the keyboard on 6 points.
The plate will rest on the bottom part, but not be in direct contact with the top part of the keyboard.

Hopefully this mounting will allow for some natural flexibility when typing. There is a ledge for the plate to rest on all mounting points, with an option to add a gasket to dampen the plate. The prototype will show how this changes the sound and I will adjust the design accordingly.

I've added a lot of space around the plate, since the retro design and the layout allows for it, so I'm not focusing on space saving but hopefully it won't feel like a bulky brick on your desk.

The top part sits directly on the edge of the bottom part, metal to metal. The case is tightened with 4 screws in each corner, that passes through the plate. And there is a gap between the plate and the top part. The screws act only to hold the two parts together and won't affect the tightness of the plate.

Layout:

I might make separate plates for the lesser used layouts like ISO and split spacebar, to keep the main plate nice and clean. I will make alps plates too, but I'm not sure yet if we will offer them as a sale or just a file for those who wants to go for it themselves.

Feedback appreciated on the layout, as there's a lot of different people out there with different preferences. I'm hoping to cover most layout preferences.

RENDERS:

More to come.

Features:

► 75% layout ◄
► Two-tone top ◄
► Bottom mount ◄
► 5 degree typing angle ◄
► Front height 17mm*◄
► Centered USB-port ◄
► Internal daughterboard ◄
► Flexible plate ◄
► Bottom side sticker ◄

*Top side to the bumpons.

Next up:
Type75 is not yet prototyped. I want to first let in some air into the project before we order up a prototype by posting this IC, see what the community thinks, and have a final look over the design.
But we are set to start prototyping soon.

Colors:
TBA but do feel free to throw out any requests for colors and it may affect the final outcome in some way or another.

Prototype photos and assembly video will be posted as soon as we have a prototype.

PCB:
martin
Alps support will be added.

Pricing:
TBA

Vendor and GB format:

The project will be handled and lead with Antipode Studio.
If all goes well, this will be an in-stock raffle of x amount of units depending on the temperature of this post.
I'm imagining somewhere between 150-200 units. You can join the raffle from anywhere in the world.

This thread will be used for feedback, updates and as a hub for the pre-production of this project. More frequent updates and direct conversations will take place in the #Type75-channel in the Antipode discord server.

Huge thanks to:
- The scandinavian discord community (and also Full I guess, for chipping in with some funny comments here and there. If it wasnt for him, this keyboard would have had a tacky tribal tattoo on its underside.)
- AKB James for bouncing ideas with me
- Harke for useful feedback
- ron.dg for useful feedback and ideas
- All you supporters of my previous projects and patient buyers of the Eclipse
- My girlfriend who can bear hearing me ramble on about this keyboard all day
- My dogs for all the encouragement

« Last Edit: Wed, 31 January 2024, 06:30:33 by snurrebassen »

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
Re: [IC] Type75 - 75% retro style mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 08:23:52 »
Updated March 1st
Been working a LOT on this since the first IC was posted.

I've tried to boil down the general idea of the feedback I've gotten here and on discord and Instagram, and made a few changes. Here's a quick rundown of the changes from the first rendition of the IC:

- No sticker/logo/branding on top side.
- Separate frame for the top, you can either have the same color on both or have a two-tone top.
- Cleaned up the layouts, removed the "true original" layout, changed split space to 3u x 2.
- Added details/decorative cuts on the bottom, with a shallow indent for a metallic sticker.
- Cleaned up the mounting points for the plate.*
- Implemented an optional gasket mounting system.*

* To be tested with the prototype, might change.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 March 2023, 02:54:52 by snurrebassen »

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 08:41:55 »
That is an odd bottom row. 6u for winkey is definitely going to be harder to accommodate for some

Offline idealape

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 08:49:35 »
Absolutely gorgeous

Sent from my J9210 using Tapatalk

Offline Dyno

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 11:43:10 »
Seeing this is an early IC without yet a proto, I would like to point out that idk how good of an idea is to have symmetrical top and bottom mounting points on a keyboard that doesn't have a symmetrical layout. Specifically, the one bottom-middle seems kinda close to the spacebar switch imho. If the plate/case is already finalized, then consider ordering a plate without that centered mounting point to compare I guess

Also, maybe I'm going too far with the suggestions, but while I see you want to keep side-to-side symmetry with the F-row, if you are mentioning inspiration on a G80-1000, wouldn't it be better if the F-row had the same standard spacing? I'm referring to 1u space between Esc and F1 key, and then having 0.5u spacing between all the F-keys clusters. And since the space between F12 and F13 is already 0.5u, it wouldn't look out of place imo

BTW, the front height says 16mm, but I'm assuming this is measured from the tip of the bottom lip right? I'd say it would be more useful if the height was measured from the inside of the top ledge, to case floor without feet

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 14:09:35 »
Seeing this is an early IC without yet a proto, I would like to point out that idk how good of an idea is to have symmetrical top and bottom mounting points on a keyboard that doesn't have a symmetrical layout. Specifically, the one bottom-middle seems kinda close to the spacebar switch imho. If the plate/case is already finalized, then consider ordering a plate without that centered mounting point to compare I guess

Also, maybe I'm going too far with the suggestions, but while I see you want to keep side-to-side symmetry with the F-row, if you are mentioning inspiration on a G80-1000, wouldn't it be better if the F-row had the same standard spacing? I'm referring to 1u space between Esc and F1 key, and then having 0.5u spacing between all the F-keys clusters. And since the space between F12 and F13 is already 0.5u, it wouldn't look out of place imo

BTW, the front height says 16mm, but I'm assuming this is measured from the tip of the bottom lip right? I'd say it would be more useful if the height was measured from the inside of the top ledge, to case floor without feet

Would you expect the plate to work better if the mount was further away from the stabilizer or closer? It is not finalized and it is an easy thing to fix at this point, and perhaps even try two versions.

I received similar comments about the F-row earlier and I'll try work it out, it should also be an easy change.

I updated the front height. I realized I first had measured the wrong part, but also that I had a good amount to cut of the height so it ended up to a good 17mm, including the bumpons.

Thanks for your insight so far!

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 February 2023, 15:33:08 »
Do you plan this to be plastic or ALU? Because if you're going for vintage plastic is the way to go.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 03:28:04 »
Do you plan this to be plastic or ALU? Because if you're going for vintage plastic is the way to go.

I would love to do plastic, but from what I know so far, the manufacturing process is very different and would be more appropriate if we were to do a higher QTY. However I would like to explore interesting surface finishes that might give a different look than the typical smooth, anodized aluminum.

Offline Dyno

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 11:14:56 »

Would you expect the plate to work better if the mount was further away from the stabilizer or closer? It is not finalized and it is an easy thing to fix at this point, and perhaps even try two versions.

On a plate that's screwed directly to the case, I would personally expect the bottom mounting points to be away from the spacebar area/stab. Maybe a good starting point would be having 1 sitting between the RCtrl and RAlt, 1 between LAlt and LCtrl, while leaving the third one where it is... (?)
Then again I'm no designer, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be concerned with having a mounting point so close to the spacebar switch

Offline rondg

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 February 2023, 17:40:41 »
Take my money

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 February 2023, 10:31:05 »

On a plate that's screwed directly to the case, I would personally expect the bottom mounting points to be away from the spacebar area/stab. Maybe a good starting point would be having 1 sitting between the RCtrl and RAlt, 1 between LAlt and LCtrl, while leaving the third one where it is... (?)
Then again I'm no designer, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be concerned with having a mounting point so close to the spacebar switch

Appreciate the input! Got some notes from someone else so this will all be useful for testing the best solution.

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 February 2023, 16:35:24 »
The best thing you can do for feedback is add an IC form to your 1st message with the necessary questions so that everyone can give their preference and his opinion on the possible colors, layout, case material, preferred plate material , hotswap or/and solder etc.

other than that it looks like a good start :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 February 2023, 16:37:00 by alper_maestro »

Offline superjackie

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 February 2023, 01:36:05 »
love this layout with the 7U(no winkey). can we not have the elevated top case edge around keys? any weight options other than a plain bottom?

Offline catamscott

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 February 2023, 15:29:56 »
love the design on this, as others have mentioned bottom-mount with that mounting point close to the spacebar might a bit stiff. moving the mount point further out or an omega60 type cut around the spacebar might help. if multiple plate materials are offered then a plastic plate of some kind would be nice. looks really nice though!

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 11 February 2023, 02:26:57 »
love this layout with the 7U(no winkey). can we not have the elevated top case edge around keys? any weight options other than a plain bottom?

Appreciate the comment!
Curious about the desire for a weight, is it in order to make sure it's heavy enough or because of the aesthetics of the weight?

regarding the elevated edge around the keys, it looks pretty cool without it too, maybe even more retro, but I personally prefer it with it :)

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 February 2023, 06:47:37 »
The best thing you can do for feedback is add an IC form to your 1st message with the necessary questions so that everyone can give their preference and his opinion on the possible colors, layout, case material, preferred plate material , hotswap or/and solder etc.

other than that it looks like a good start :)

Updated! :thumb:

IC Form is here.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 February 2023, 06:58:46 by snurrebassen »

Offline Iceman15491

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 12 February 2023, 07:22:09 »
Design looking sick but not so retro haha

Offline idealape

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 12 February 2023, 11:29:06 »
Maybe, but definitely retro inspired. I'm not big on retro, but this looks

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 12 February 2023, 11:59:16 »

Perhaps the render color choice doesn't do it justice, but if you imagine it as beige in natural lighting the various retro elements really pop out.

Offline QWER|key

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 February 2023, 08:21:10 »
That logo in the corner is a bit cheap looking. Looks like something you would see on a gaming board. I think that should disappear.

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 13 February 2023, 08:32:06 »
Maybe, but definitely retro inspired. I'm not big on retro, but this looks

Big thanks! Hope that with certain colors it looks more, but in others it will look less retro.

Perhaps the render color choice doesn't do it justice, but if you imagine it as beige in natural lighting the various retro elements really pop out.
Yes, once I have nailed the layouts I will do more renders to show it off better.

That logo in the corner is a bit cheap looking. Looks like something you would see on a gaming board. I think that should disappear.
It's probably going yes  :)

Updated layouts and included some more options in the IC.

Offline idealape

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 13 February 2023, 13:15:50 »
I kinda agree

Offline superjackie

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 16 February 2023, 22:39:25 »

Appreciate the comment!
Curious about the desire for a weight, is it in order to make sure it's heavy enough or because of the aesthetics of the weight?
Actually both!
regarding the elevated edge around the keys, it looks pretty cool without it too, maybe even more retro, but I personally prefer it with it :)

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 17 February 2023, 10:39:00 »

Appreciate the comment!
Actually both!

Disagree - the stepped casing is one of the major design elements that gives it that retro vibe. Speaking of which, since this has Focus vibes adding Alps support would get it even more interest imo, just a thought.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
Re: [IC] Type75 - 75% retro style mechanical keyboard (UPDATED 28.02)
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 01 March 2023, 02:09:53 »
Yes please

Offline snurrebassen

• Linktree
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 01 March 2023, 03:08:00 »
Disagree - the stepped casing is one of the major design elements that gives it that retro vibe. Speaking of which, since this has Focus vibes adding Alps support would get it even more interest imo, just a thought.

Alps support will be added to the PCB, so I will supply files for alps plates, unless we decide to manufacture them too for the GB/raffle, but I doubt it! Support will be added nevertheless. Thanks for the comment  ;)