Author Topic: [IC] Windowed Keycaps from Signature Plastics  (Read 8031 times)

Offline wooliii

[IC] Windowed Keycaps from Signature Plastics
« on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 00:13:53 »
I'm thinking about placing an order for a bunch of 1U Windowed Keycaps from Signature Plastics. I'm using them in a boutique sequencer I'm designing. Would love to see if anyone want's to jump on a group buy of this. 500 pieces and the price is reduced to 0.61 USD a piece.

Some examples of the windowed keycaps they offer. I will be ordering the style on the far left.

256161-0

Pricing is as follows:

More
1 pc                        $118.15

5 pcs                       $24.07 each

10 pcs                     $12.31 each

15 pcs                     $8.39 each

25 pcs                     $5.26 each

50 pcs                     $2.92 each

75 pcs                     $2.11 each

100 pcs                  $1.73 each

150 pcs                  $1.33 each

200 pcs                  $1.14 each

250 pcs                  $0.85 each

500 pcs                  $0.61 each

UPDATE: (some more details about the order)

Full Keyset: No

Size: 1U

Row: R4, but open to a more neutral R2 (according to this diagram)
More

Profile: Most likely DCS (I like the flat tops), but open to DSA if there's enough interest. The benefit of DSA is that you can kit out all of your 1U keys without worrying about angle.

Color: Something from the white, brown, or grey color palettes listed here, or a neutral variant of another color https://www.solutionsinplastic.com/keycaps-101/

References for the device I'm building:

More

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2020, 13:45:04 by wooliii »

Offline UberPlatypus

Re: [IC] Windowed Keycaps from Signature Plastics
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 00:16:42 »
Could the order include multiple types, I really like the circular windows for some reason...

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Offline amuri99

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 00:17:23 »
Are there many colors?

Offline wooliii

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 02:28:05 »
Are there many colors?

I'm getting confirmation from them on whether different colors are part of the bulk purchase. I'll update when I hear from them.

Could the order include multiple types, I really like the circular windows for some reason...

That's a good question. I imagine that would be a completely different die so it would probably be considered a seperate order in regards to the bulk pricing ? I can definitely ask.

Offline krzank

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 04:14:34 »
Profile? Row?
Black/Navy/DarkGreen?
Other sizes than 1U?
Entire set?

Offline Keebler elf

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:45:05 »
I'm interested if there's a large batch order that gets the prices down to a reasonable level.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 10:36:30 »
Profile? Row?
Black/Navy/DarkGreen?
Other sizes than 1U?
Entire set?

Same questions.
Trying to cover an entire board with these.  ;D

Offline wooliii

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 13:01:06 »
Profile? Row?
Black/Navy/DarkGreen?
Other sizes than 1U?
Entire set?

Waiting to hear back about what constitutes their bulk pricing. I'm assuming that if they change form in any way (#U size, R#, color, etc) then it won't be part of the same bulk pricing.

Again, I'm coming from the boutique synthesizer world where we're creating tactile interfaces, so this bulk purchase would be for a 1U keycap, single row, and one or two colors.

Profile is either going to be DCS (I like the flat tops) or DSA if there's enough interest. The benefit of DSA is that you can kit out all of your 1U keys without worrying about angle.

Going off this diagram (I see that people will either count the row # from the top or from the bottom? I'm new to keyboards so I'm not sure what the difference is), my plan was to order R1 keycaps, but I'm open to a more neutral profile like an R3 if there's particular interest.

Diagram:

More

Signature Plastics uses this nomenclature though, so in that case I'm planning on ordering R4, but am open to R2 as a more neutral option.

More

If there's specific colors people are excited about I'd love to hear opinions. They can be found here for both ABS and PBT: https://www.solutionsinplastic.com/keycaps-101/
I'm most likely leaning towards the white, brown, or gray palettes, as this is intended for a piece of hardware and isn't supposed to be flashy lol.

Some references as to what I am using this for:

More

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2020, 13:45:30 by wooliii »

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 13:58:31 »
interested in the sequencer - any info on that?

Offline wooliii

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 14:30:31 »
interested in the sequencer - any info on that?

It's an open source hardware platform with a custom OS called MIOS made by Thorsten Klose. Link here: http://www.ucapps.de/mios.html

It's built to support high-performance low-latency audio and midi applications. It's a really great platform and offers a ton of customization, the only thing is that you have to build the Control Surface and I/O to interface with his OS and the CPU it's built on. There's already a sequencer application that offers a ton of functionality, and that's what I'm building a control surface for, as well as customizing the application, because there's a few things that I think could be designed better from a UI/UX perspective. Link to sequencer application: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq.html

Since it's open source, his license states that you can only sell up to 10 assembled units a year, however you are more than welcome to manufacture and sell the components to people who want to build one as a diy kit. Since I'm getting this stuff manufactured I AM planning on ordering parts in the most cost effective manner, which means I'll have some of the essentials left-over. This is going to include the PCB(s) for the control surface, the front panel manufactured from aluminum, the windowed keycaps, and possibly the case if I can find an affordable one (in other DIY builds of this I have noticed that the aluminum case sans front panel tends to be the most expensive part, sometimes in the $100-$200 range.)

If you're interested we can definitely keep in touch ! I might set-up a website to sell some of these components, especially if I end up having to buy this keycap bulk order by myself lol.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 09:55:10 »
sounds amazing... way outside of my technical level for assembly but I'll have to look into getting a pre-built one someday.  nice project!

Offline wooliii

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 November 2020, 13:42:34 »
sounds amazing... way outside of my technical level for assembly but I'll have to look into getting a pre-built one someday.  nice project!

Yah I'll post something on here when it's done (because, you know, keycaps lol). There's really only two major designs in the community, and I'm trying to disturb that status quo with something that is both aesthetically and functionally pleasing, as well as being much cheaper to build and hopefully easier for people to get into. Basically, if you know how to use a soldering iron and run a script on your computer, you should be good to go on building one of these.

Thanks for the interest!

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 17:48:16 »
I'm using them in a boutique sequencer I'm designing.

This is a great Idea!!!! I would be interested for sure!

Offline MemeScreen

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 14:34:35 »
I'm also interested. DSA would be my first choice but I have been looking for this. Would buy 100 of them at least.

Offline ab042896

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 15:03:52 »
DCS in a black or white (or both) would be cool

Like your preference of window type (rectangular front edge), but either rectangle option look the best IMO

Seems unusual to me for this to be in R4 (SP's bottom row) profile though, R1 (SP's top row) would likely be significantly the most popular row when given the choice of any single row number especially considering 1U is likely to be the only size offered, as there are way more spots to fill up on a keyboard using R1 1U.

Offline Volny

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 09:33:14 »
I would get a few if DSA. Is this still happening?

Offline MemeScreen

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 12:58:19 »
I would get a few if DSA. Is this still happening?

I don't know. It looks like OP made an account to post this and left. They haven't been on since December. We could always pick it up and run it ourselves though. Is anyone else interested in running this?