Author Topic: [IC] GMK Hero - Group Buy Date January 20th 2020!  (Read 87642 times)

Offline mkljfox44

[IC] GMK Hero - Group Buy Date January 20th 2020!
« on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:00:57 »

Hi everyone! I'm Fox and this is:

GMK Hero

Group Buy is Live!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104486.0

Design

This set is inspired by the Legend of Zelda. It uses 2 custom Pantones and one RAL color.

Kits

Adventurer's Kit

Legend's Kit - Updated

Spacebar Kit

More Renders by Oblotzky & Janglad - Updated

Andromeda

TGR Jane v2

Think6.5

TGR 910 RE

Collaborations

RAMA

We have collaborated with RAMA to bring a Hero themed RAMA cap. It will be a pvd gold brass finish.

Alpha Keycaps

The incredibly talented Yohanskee has hopped on board and offered to create a Hero themed Keypora! A couple mock-ups are posted below. Be sure to comment which is your favorite!

Deskmats

IC Form

Please fill out the IC form if you are interested in seeing this set go live!

Changelog

09.21.19 - Added new novelties, new renders, changed alpha color to be a darker green.

12.11.19 - Group buy date, vendors, updated kits

Vendors

US: - Kono.Store

Canada: - DeskHero

EU: - MyKeyboard.EU

Asia: - iLumkb

Oceania: - Dailyclack

« Last Edit: Sun, 02 February 2020, 16:26:24 by mkljfox44 »

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
Re: [IC] GMK Hero
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:03:58 »
I dig it

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:11:27 »
I like it. Not a fan of icon only mods though. Would it be possible to do icon+text mods, or are you set on icon only mods.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:13:12 »
All in.

Offline mkljfox44

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:14:58 »
I like it. Not a fan of icon only mods though. Would it be possible to do icon+text mods, or are you set on icon only mods.

It is something I could look in to! I'm not set on icons only at all. More renders to come with icons+text in the future.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:16:35 by mkljfox44 »

Offline Champalan

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:20:35 »
In! My gf and I love it. We're huge Zelda fans.

Offline mta

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:22:59 »
I like it -- and personally prefer the icon mods for this one but maybe having it as an add-on kit would work too. Maybe an add-on alpha kit with Hyrulian sublegends might be neat.

We definitely need more green-alpha sets out there!
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:31:36 by mta »

Offline zralph19

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:32:29 »
Big fan of green and zelda! I'm in this for sure

Offline mkljfox44

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:45:01 »
I like it -- and personally prefer the icon mods for this one but maybe having it as an add-on kit would work too. Maybe an add-on alpha kit with Hyrulian sublegends might be neat.

We definitely need more green-alpha sets out there!

I thought about that, but again Id have to look into what is and is not legal on that kind of things!

Offline KevlarBear

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:52:22 »
In before Nintendo cease and desist  ;D

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 01:04:51 »
Some kit suggestions I can make:

- add an extra 2.25u Shift key for Clueboard/660M users, split spacebar users who prefer regular R4, etc.
- Add 1u 00 key for splitting the 0 key in the numpad.
- Alternate homing keys: F, J, and 5 barred.

"Crazier"/likely-to-be-less-popular suggestions.

- Swap R4 bottom row for R5 bottom row (molds are now available for all keys)
- Go for a uniform F-row color -- in this case, N9 with the custom RAL legends (examples of this: see GMK Space Cadet, GMK Taro, GMK Hydro)

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 01:31:14 »
All buy.  :thumb: :thumb:
Such a nice colorway.

Offline Keebmeupscotty

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 01:40:02 »
Interested for sure

Offline johngodsmith

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 03:21:02 »
This is cool, I'd def be in.

Offline nostr

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 03:50:46 »
Looks like this will be the first green set I actually end up getting  :thumb:

Offline ocm

• Formerly OneCreativeMind
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 06:07:10 »
 :cool:

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 06:28:58 »
Greennnnn. Ok in.

Offline Full

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 06:30:19 »
This looks awesome!
Hi!

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 06:36:44 »
Ohhh awesome.
Could see we share the same mind in this.
I would be in for one set.

Offline spook

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 07:46:07 »
id definitely be down for this, looking forward to seeing you tweak this to perfection

Offline whomad1215

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 08:41:36 »
I'd be down for this.

My only concern is how protective Nintendo is of their stuff.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 08:54:34 »
I'm REALLY not sure I'm sold on the colours but it would be impossible for me to not support a Zelda inspired set; I have no concrete suggestions to make but maybe play around with potentially making the green (and maybe the mods' grey too) a little lighter and see how that looks, right now the colours look a little too sombre for it to really scream LOZ but maybe that's just me.

Also obviously you may run into some issues with those novelties but I do love the way they look. Good luck!

PS: If this is very well received and MOQs are looking likely, maybe look into doing a Hylian sublegend/mono kit to go with the base; this is something I've always wanted and something I've talked with designers on and off about trying to get done for years now and have always come short on because we've never been able to really get a colourway we thought was up to Zelda standards, maybe you can pull it off here!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 09:51:35 »
You'll want to get some better renders, keycaprenders.com struggles with those kinds of "mid brightness" colors. At least double-check your work with https://kle-render.com since the colors could be wildly different.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 09:55:53 »
You'll want to get some better renders, keycaprenders.com struggles with those kinds of "mid brightness" colors. At least double-check your work with https://kle-render.com since the colors could be wildly different.

+1. That green does not look like it will translate to realistic lighting well from the current renders.

Offline Chaselicious17

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 10:13:37 »
I'm REALLY not sure I'm sold on the colours but it would be impossible for me to not support a Zelda inspired set; I have no concrete suggestions to make but maybe play around with potentially making the green (and maybe the mods' grey too) a little lighter and see how that looks, right now the colours look a little too sombre for it to really scream LOZ but maybe that's just me.

Also obviously you may run into some issues with those novelties but I do love the way they look. Good luck!

PS: If this is very well received and MOQs are looking likely, maybe look into doing a Hylian sublegend/mono kit to go with the base; this is something I've always wanted and something I've talked with designers on and off about trying to get done for years now and have always come short on because we've never been able to really get a colourway we thought was up to Zelda standards, maybe you can pull it off here!

Hard agree. This is a solid first draft but I really think the colors need to hit that classic zelda color pallet. The green and dark grey just aren't syncing with LoZ for me.

Offline mkljfox44

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 10:35:29 »

This is all helpful! Like I said, this is still in the early stages so I do appreciate the feedback. Once I receive the high quality renders, it will be easier to address color issues. I also have RAL samples coming which should allow for a more accurate representation. Thanks again for the feedback!

Offline ctrlshiftbryan

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 10:43:28 »
Swap the accent and alpha colors and this would be epic!

Offline bciamny

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 15:12:43 »
damn, i think i'm in. :)

edited to add: if you can get that gold, it'd be awesome. i'm really digging this particular color scheme.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2019, 16:50:02 by bciamny »

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 15:26:46 »
Looks good! Always interested in more green sets

Offline joelmats3

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 16:20:31 »
Rama colab with gold triforce might be nice. Not sure about the copyright implications tho

Offline utsukishi

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 16:27:23 »
onboard for a zelda themed set, especially for a Listen! enter ahh, let's make this happen!

Offline Rise

• Trying to Give back to Community
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 16:47:13 »
This set is super dope, good luck when you run it, definitely in.

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 17:10:22 »
BRASSSSSSSS

Offline Starston3

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 18:44:27 »
Rama colab with gold triforce might be nice. Not sure about the copyright implications tho

Yeaaah... that's gonna be a huge no as Nintendo tends to be v v C&D happy.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 19:22:13 »

Yeaaah... that's gonna be a huge no as Nintendo tends to be v v C&D happy.
Actually, it seems that while Nintendo can (and have) copyrighted the term "Triforce", they can't copyright/trademark the symbol itself because it's just simple geometry.
Wikipedia discussion here.

Offline mkljfox44

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 19:26:50 »
Hopefully more coming very soon  :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2019, 19:20:58 by mkljfox44 »

Offline newbatthis

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 19:36:03 »
If those novelties get made I'm definitely all in.

Offline arrowM

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 20:15:39 »
I'm a huge Zelda fan, so of course I love this set!

I'm curious: is the Hylian crest/wings imagery trademarked? If not, it would be amazing to see a Hylian shield novelty (red & blue?) or an enter key with the wing crest, or something similar.

EDIT: Since you want this set specifically based on Ocarina of Time, another novelty idea could be to have the three Spiritual Stones represented, and/or the six Sage Medallions. It could quickly get out of hand with that many different emblems, but it's worth considering.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2019, 20:40:25 by arrowM »

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 20:17:16 »

Exactly everything I had in mind! OoT is my favorite game of all time, but man, I just can't get myself to like green sets =/
I'd love to help with color suggestions, but I'm pretty badly colorblind loll. If I'm not right up against my monitor I cant even see the legends :(

The Hylian idea would be so sick though. And there are so many amazing novelty ideas I bet a whole board could be filled with designs haha

Offline mkljfox44

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 20:54:53 »

I'm curious: is the Hylian crest/wings imagery trademarked? If not, it would be amazing to see a Hylian shield novelty (red & blue?) or an enter key with the wing crest, or something similar.

EDIT: Since you want this set specifically based on Ocarina of Time, another novelty idea could be to have the three Spiritual Stones represented, and/or the six Sage Medallions. It could quickly get out of hand with that many different emblems, but it's worth considering.

Yeah, unfortunately, those are protected.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2019, 19:21:24 by mkljfox44 »

Offline bciamny

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 21:31:55 »

Yeah, unfortunately, those are protected. The stones could be worked around to some extent, but with so many, the cost would be too much I think. Wish I could have it all!

will probably get people raising their eyebrows at their computer screens with this but i never played ocarina of time. i am a much bigger fan of the snes and gameboy editions of zelda (they're probably my favorite games of all time) and i think this works for all fans of zelda games.

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 22:58:30 »
I love this set, I've been waiting for somebody to do this for a long time. Though, while it's definitely giving me a Zelda vibe, it's not giving me an OoT-specific vibe. In particular, the N9 color doesn't seem very OoT.

There's this dark purple-blue color that appears in the logo and on a lot of different important items that definitely gives me an OoT vibe. I wonder how that would look in place of the N9?

Feedback on novelties:

- I'd love to see the Navi novelty of just Navi, without the bottle
- "Listen! Listen!" should be "Hey! Listen!", and I wouldn't mind them stylized kind of like this (without the Navi)
- It'd be cool if the holes on the Ocarina lined up with how they actually are in the game (see above). I understand you're going for more minimalist, but to me the Ocarina stands out as a bit over-minimalist compared to the rest of the novelties.
- A Skulltula novelty would be very OoT
- Master Sword enter novelty
- Hylian emblem (same as your profile pic) on 1.25u / 1.5u keys
- I'd rather see the bottle novelty as a clean empty bottle, or possibly with the Lon Lon label on it for extra OoT points:

Awesome set, looking forward to seeing this develop!

Offline joelmats3

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 01:52:31 »
That would be cool if the ocarina blue could be incorporated some how. Also +1 for Lon Lon ranch icon!

Offline mkljfox44

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 14:33:21 »
I love this set, I've been waiting for somebody to do this for a long time. Though, while it's definitely giving me a Zelda vibe, it's not giving me an OoT-specific vibe. In particular, the N9 color doesn't seem very OoT.

There's this dark purple-blue color that appears in the logo and on a lot of different important items that definitely gives me an OoT vibe. I wonder how that would look in place of the N9?

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Feedback on novelties:

- I'd love to see the Navi novelty of just Navi, without the bottle
- "Listen! Listen!" should be "Hey! Listen!", and I wouldn't mind them stylized kind of like this (without the Navi)
- It'd be cool if the holes on the Ocarina lined up with how they actually are in the game (see above). I understand you're going for more minimalist, but to me the Ocarina stands out as a bit over-minimalist compared to the rest of the novelties.
- A Skulltula novelty would be very OoT
- Master Sword enter novelty
- Hylian emblem (same as your profile pic) on 1.25u / 1.5u keys
- I'd rather see the bottle novelty as a clean empty bottle, or possibly with the Lon Lon label on it for extra OoT points:

Show Image

Awesome set, looking forward to seeing this develop!

Some of these things just can't be done in terms of the novelties. The exact duplication of some of these items would make the set violate TMs and it would never get made. Most of the items and logos and languages (Hylian) are property of Nintendo, so I just can't use them, as much as I'd like to. The enter key will not say "Listen! Listen!", it was just a way of showing two different options for the font (standard vs italicized). I can play around with blue a bit to see if I can find some way to incorporate it, but so far in trying various colorways, this N9 has just produced the best look for the set. I've tried browns and reds and blues with it already, but it took something away from the kit. That being said, I'm working with some other people who may have some better ideas, so I will continue to try things and gauge feedback! Thanks for the input  :thumb:

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 15:25:39 »
Maybe a pink Esc in novelties for LttP throwback?

Offline zralph19

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 17:53:44 »
Damn 100% in for this set. Love Green and Love zelda. Instant buy for me.

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 17:55:16 »
Some of these things just can't be done in terms of the novelties. The exact duplication of some of these items would make the set violate TMs and it would never get made. Most of the items and logos and languages (Hylian) are property of Nintendo, so I just can't use them, as much as I'd like to. The enter key will not say "Listen! Listen!", it was just a way of showing two different options for the font (standard vs italicized). I can play around with blue a bit to see if I can find some way to incorporate it, but so far in trying various colorways, this N9 has just produced the best look for the set. I've tried browns and reds and blues with it already, but it took something away from the kit. That being said, I'm working with some other people who may have some better ideas, so I will continue to try things and gauge feedback! Thanks for the input  :thumb:

Risk for getting a Cease and Desist should be determined by what others have been able to sell / get away with. When a company doesn't protect a copyright, it undermines their ability to protect it in the future. A quick visit to eBay shows are multiple whole businesses around selling LoZ merch. Here are some examples:

Playable Ocarina replicas
Master Sword replicas
Lon Lon Milk
Thousands of unlicensed t-shirts

On the topic of languages, I don't believe Matteo got permission from J.R.R. Tolkien for making elvish keycaps.

The sale format of a group buy also makes it unlikely to run into any trouble, as this is a one-and-done deal.

Offline mkljfox44

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 18:32:30 »

Risk for getting a Cease and Desist should be determined by what others have been able to sell / get away with. When a company doesn't protect a copyright, it undermines their ability to protect it in the future. A quick visit to eBay shows are multiple whole businesses around selling LoZ merch. Here are some examples:

Playable Ocarina replicas
Master Sword replicas
Lon Lon Milk
Thousands of unlicensed t-shirts

On the topic of languages, I don't believe Matteo got permission from J.R.R. Tolkien for making elvish keycaps.

The sale format of a group buy also makes it unlikely to run into any trouble, as this is a one-and-done deal.

On the topic of the language, that's a good point with the elvish. I'll definitely look more into that, but i'm pretty sure it would be really expensive to have new molds made just for Hylian sublegends. The elvish set is dye-subbed. On the products; just because people do sell unlicensed replicas, it does not make it "legal". I would hate for a potentially good set to die over risking it. I will explore more options as I continue to work on the kit though, and see what else I can incorporate! Thanks again!
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2019, 19:32:59 by mkljfox44 »

Offline megaforce

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 19:27:58 »
I love the Legend of Zelda, but just not feeling the green alphas chief.

Novelties look killer though, especially if it's in the black n gold
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2019, 19:30:21 by megaforce93 »
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 22:38:04 »
the more i think about it the less I like these green alphas

Maybe you should invert the colors? I don't know. I feel that kokiri colors are not the way to go for a keyboard, maybe hylian would be better, i.e blue or silver/grey alphas and red/gold accents