Author Topic: [IC] SA SNES  (Read 183627 times)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: [IC] SA SNES
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 19:59:41 »
Show Image

Poll: Which SA profile do you prefer?
https://forms.gle/xUqSiwx5Q1zLGvPp9

I want this. You want this... Let's make it happen!

How do we make the SNES idea relevant again? (r.i.p. intelli78's GMK SNES)

Considering the recent GMK DMG group buy, the SP SA profile seems like an obvious choice for a high quality set:
  • Doubleshot ABS
  • THICC caps
  • SP's Pantone colour matching is on point
  • Super wide selection of stock greys
  • Profile choice: 112343 (sculpted) or 223333 (mostly flat)
  • The (seldom used) Helvetica legends have that retro-modern aesthetic

Colours

First draft
Show Image

Reference
Show Image

Source: https://www.raphnet.net/design/console_colors/index_en.php

112343 vs 223333
Show Image

Legends

Filco/SP legends
Show Image

Caps
Show Image

Various considerations:
  • A poll can help decide on the profile
  • Kits are based on feedback, alphas + modifiers very likely
  • Symbols like Win and Menu are not definitive, text options available
  • SP now makes convex keys (1.25u and 3u at least), so a proper Minila kit is in order!
Show Image

Also, let's keep this set as affordable as possible (SA is already a premium keycap):
  • No Japanese characters
  • No extra colours (ie. red, yellow, green, blue)
  • CBC novelties (Cool But Concise)
  • Helvetica legends do not induce extra cost; it's SP's default typeface

Samples
TODO

Kits
TODO

Renders
TODO

Discussion

I created a Discord channel and instagram for my things. You can always find me on reddit.

Please leave your comments down below! :thumb:

Font looks... sad.. You should change it to a bit more cartoony version

Offline zfightingman

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 00:50:07 »
Also, any chance of a 7671 C/7672 C accents option for the spacebar and Enter keys?

One other suggestion would be to consider using GSZ for the legends on the alphas and GSL for the modifier/accent legends, so you keep gray with gray and purple with lavender.  That would be closer to the color scheme on the actual SNES buttons.  (I think the power and reset buttons were technically white text on purple, but I like the way the current color scheme looks on the F-keys a lot, and that avoids adding another color to the set.)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 11:19:01 »
Also, any chance of a 7671 C/7672 C accents option for the spacebar and Enter keys?

Yes. It's especially needed for layouts < 60%.

One other suggestion would be to consider using GSZ for the legends on the alphas and GSL for the modifier/accent legends, so you keep gray with gray and purple with lavender.  That would be closer to the color scheme on the actual SNES buttons.  (I think the power and reset buttons were technically white text on purple, but I like the way the current color scheme looks on the F-keys a lot, and that avoids adding another color to the set.)

My initial idea was grey on grey alphas, like the original. But after trying out different combinations, I feel like purple on grey alphas looks better by making the set (subtly) more colourful. Again, I think that's important for boards without an F-row.

Offline dk4one

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 11:20:37 »
Any chance of using just the original SA fonts? I'm not sure if I'm a fan of these fonts. Big fan of the good old centered legends.

Offline rowie

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 11:36:28 »
Any chance of using just the original SA fonts? I'm not sure if I'm a fan of these fonts. Big fan of the good old centered legends.

+1

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 11:43:16 »

This is one of SP's default fonts.

The centered font is nice, but it doesn't fit the theme as well as the Filco/Helvetica font. Too vintage, imo.

If I get too many complaints, then I will launch another poll. (Even though I strongly feel like the Helvetica font is better for this set...)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 11:46:23 »
If this goes well would you consider doing one for SA NES?

I doubt it.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 11:51:13 »
+1 Fully sculpted SA. No more GMK. Too much GMK. I love GMK, but at this point, I'm getting sick of seeing GMK.

Second. GMK is nice, quality stuff, but there are lots of profiles we need more of, MT3, SA, DSA and XDA stuff.

MT3 or MDA SNES would be among my dream keysets.  I'm down for SA though as a more realistic option.  (It is a shame that MDA is only on like two sets ever - it's a very pleasing profile to type on.)

MT3 is mostly PBT. The recent MT3 Susuwatari is doubleshot ABS and they are experiencing considerable delays. That's one of several reasons why I'm not willing to go that route (see OP).

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 12:00:00 »

The centered font is nice, but it doesn't fit the theme as well as the Filco/Helvetica font. Too vintage, imo.

If I get too many complaints, then I will launch another poll. (Even though I strongly feel like the Helvetica font is better for this set...)

I actually like the font, but think centred labels just look better, especially on spherical caps like SA. It's not a dealbreaker, but I think a centred Helvetica might look nicer.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 12:42:15 »

I actually like the font, but think centred labels just look better, especially on spherical caps like SA. It's not a dealbreaker, but I think a centred Helvetica might look nicer.

I think that would require new molds. So it would either be Helvetica, as shown, or the traditional centered Gorton Modified font.

Yes. The Filco SA caps are made by signature plastics. I have a set and they look great!

I'm sure other Filco double shot keyset owners can attest! (myself included)
--

I honestly believe that some if not most who object the Helvetica font, upon seeing a set would immediately change their minds.

Similarly, I prefer the 223333 profile, because it provides a simple solution for Colemak layouts with no aesthetic difference and a typing feel that you will get used to. Although, once the poll is launched, there's no turning back... There is no weighed answer in the poll. I know that some who voted 223333 feel really strongly about it, while others have a slight preference and could live with both.

Whereas with the font, it's purely aesthetic and, like colour, is more subject to the designer's vision and visceral reaction upon seeing the samples, colour guides and so on.

TL;DR: If you feel strongly about the font, then please comment. Thanks!

Offline zfightingman

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 14:12:16 »
My initial idea was grey on grey alphas, like the original. But after trying out different combinations, I feel like purple on grey alphas looks better by making the set (subtly) more colourful. Again, I think that's important for boards without an F-row.

An excellent point.  Without the F-row, it would just be basically a gray set with my suggestion.  Carry on!

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 16:18:56 »

I think that would require new molds. So it would either be Helvetica, as shown, or the traditional centered Gorton Modified font.

Oh, I didn't realize molds already existed for the corner-aligned Helvetica text! Somehow I either missed the shot of the Filco SA set the first time around or assumed it was also a render. Neat, then I'm totally on board.

Regarding the row profiles, I've never really understood 22333, as there's so little difference between it and fully R3 SA. If it's going to mostly be flat, might as well make it fully flat for max layout compatibility. But I voted "no preference" in any case, so whatever it ends up being is fine by me!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 10:03:23 »
Concerning the Minila:

If, by any chance, someone has a contact at Filco, it could be very useful...

Although a convex 3u spacebar is available (at SP), the convex 1.25u tooling belongs to a "private company" (I can only assume Filco).

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 22:33:31 »
Would you consider the “F1” colorway ( light purple legends on dark purple key) enter and esc keys in the base kit or as a separate kit ? This would make the set look really nice on layouts without the F row

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 23 June 2019, 22:55:39 »
Would you consider the “F1” colorway ( light purple legends on dark purple key) enter and esc keys in the base kit or as a separate kit ? This would make the set look really nice on layouts without the F row

Definitely.

I see colour add-ons for the usual accent keys (Enter, Esc, etc.), possibly for the bottom row, spacebar and modifiers in general. It wasn't mentioned yet, but I'm discarding the idea of a coloured number row (for 60%), because the amount of smaller boards without a number row is only increasing...

Given the poll result, I have started working on kits and should propose some ideas in the next few days/weeks.

Offline Yahosh

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 16:14:53 »
I'm so in for this. Sculpted profile please!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 15:58:42 »
Looking at something like this for Minila...

[removed photo] (out of date)

Waiting for Filco's response about the 1.25u convex keys.

Worst case scenario, it'll be a 3u convex spacebar with regular Fn keys.

Edit: updated render
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2020, 08:54:40 by voodoo6k »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 16:57:10 »
SA profile is definitely more fitting for this retro-themed set. Will be on the lookout!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 20:39:33 »
Looking at something like this for Minila...

Show Image

Waiting for Filco's response about the 1.25u convex keys.

Worst case scenario, it'll be a 3u convex spacebar with regular Fn keys.

0-0

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 11:12:34 »
Sculpted

[removed]

Yum
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2020, 08:54:52 by voodoo6k »

Offline airstrike

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 11:31:36 »
If we're adding WASD might as well do HJKL for the non-gaming 60%ers among us

I'm not a huge fan of SA but am willing to compromise because I REALLY want a snes set to happen!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 11:45:15 »
If we're adding WASD might as well do HJKL for the non-gaming 60%ers among us

We'll see where it fits. No promises ;)

With either profile you can put the arrows on R3. If you really want double legends (like Vim keycaps), then I will have to look into it.

WASD fits the theme 100%, though.

Offline airstrike

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 20:55:08 »
Also probably worth suggesting using the SNES logo to replace the Windows key

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/66/Super_Famicom_logo.svg

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 08:39:29 »

Pretty sure that would step onto some copyright boundary. @iaman's controller logo suggestion is already pushing it.

Edit: In fact, I don't think either will be possible.

I'm open to artists proposing their own "retro gaming" designs and logos, provided they are original.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2019, 08:58:49 by voodoo6k »

Offline airstrike

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 10:08:43 »

Pretty sure that would step onto some copyright boundary. @iaman's controller logo suggestion is already pushing it.

You're probably right... could maybe settle for using the Agency FB font for the legends or is that also risky?

I'm open to artists proposing their own "retro gaming" designs and logos, provided they are original.

As far as providing our designs, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot over the long weekend coming up. What's the standard format you guys work on for this type of design?

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 10:18:30 »

You're probably right... could maybe settle for using the Agency FB font for the legends or is that also risky?

I'm not sure I follow you... I was referring to the Nintendo trademark logos.

The SA typeface belongs to SP and there is no plan to use custom fonts.

As far as providing our designs, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot over the long weekend coming up. What's the standard format you guys work on for this type of design?

AI or SVG :thumb:

Offline zfightingman

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 15:01:37 »

Also, that logo was not used for the US Super NES, which is the inspiration for the rest of the scheme.  I will admit though that the JP/PAL logo is a lot more "buttonable" than the actual US SNES logo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System#/media/File:Super_NES_USA_logo.png

Perhaps something simpler, like a left and right set that contain a silhouetted D-pad shape on the left key and the diamond pattern of the four face buttons on the other?  Both of those shapes/layouts are common enough to multiple systems that it is unlikely to trigger any copyright infringement issues, but still says "controller" when viewed together.

EDITED: Added quick mockup:
221840-0

EDITED 2: I am new to this forum software, so I'm not sure why my image appears twice.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 June 2019, 15:56:38 by zfightingman »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 08:38:07 »
Thanks for the mock up, @zfightingman.

To clarify:

While watching the Topclack 6/20/19 re-stream (in which SA SNES is mentioned), there seemed to be some confusion about the font...

Filco legends = SP Helvetica legends

They are the same, but since the typeface belongs to SP, I refer to it as SP Helvetica. The rendered legends are 100% Filco legends = SP Helvetica.

Also, the Filco set is 223333. This set is leaning towards 112343, as rendered.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 23:36:00 »
Sculpted

Show Image

Yum

marvelous !!!
Go 112343 !!  Looking forward to this !!

Offline psxndc

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 01:34:47 »
Love this one!

I'd love sculpted but a Colemak (and Colemak Mod DH) support is more important to me. So I vote either uniform R3 or sculpted with ColemakDH compatibility kit.

Exactly this. Would prefer R3, but give me a ColemakDH option and you can shut up and take my money.
Ortho. Always.

Offline cari66ean

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 06:59:21 »
Love this one!

I'd love sculpted but a Colemak (and Colemak Mod DH) support is more important to me. So I vote either uniform R3 or sculpted with ColemakDH compatibility kit.

Exactly this. Would prefer R3, but give me a ColemakDH option and you can shut up and take my money.

Same here... gimme dat Mod DH and I'm in for the sculpted SA.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 07:15:21 »
Plz split alpha n tkl and dont forget numpad.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 09:47:33 »
Plz split alpha n tkl and dont forget numpad.

Yes

Love this one!

Same here... gimme dat Mod DH and I'm in for the sculpted SA.

Could someone link a reference Colevrak (Mod DH) kit so I don't forget anything?

MT3 Godspeed

Offline psxndc

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 10:02:00 »
If it's not clear, the "cut off" key there is a Backspace key that replaces the CAPS LOCK key (1.75x). I think there's two there just to have color options. At least for me, I'd only need one.
Ortho. Always.

Offline Hackerpilot

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 01:34:23 »
Could someone link a reference Colevrak (Mod DH) kit so I don't forget anything?

That kit seems to support Dvorak, Colemak, Colemak Mod DH, and Workman. I can't figure out what the R2 "K" key is for though.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 07:37:33 »

That kit seems to support Dvorak, Colemak, Colemak Mod DH, and Workman. I can't figure out what the R2 "K" key is for though.

I think it's for Qwpr?

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 07:50:05 »

I think it's for Qwpr?

0-0

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 11:54:02 »

I think it's for Qwpr?

I think we've gone too far down the rabbit hole, guys

Offline Hyperdimension

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 17:43:12 »
The font makes it look like a cheap tai hao set

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 18:48:33 »
The font makes it look like a cheap tai hao set

SP's symbols and modifiers are much more refined than Tai Hao, which aren't that bad to begin with. And then Helvetica is pretty much the industry standard.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 18:54:28 »
In the works:
  • Purple accent add-ons
  • Lavender spacebars
  • WASD/ESDF kits
  • ColevrakDH+ compatibility

SA SNES on cerakoted Leaf 60:

Offline psxndc

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 00:32:55 »
Personally, I dig this recent render the most. Looks awesome! And given the Colemak DH support, this is a definite buy for me.
Ortho. Always.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 07:42:15 »
Personally, I dig this recent render the most. Looks awesome! And given the Colemak DH support, this is a definite buy for me.

Cool. :thumb:

I plan on making a bunch more, like DSA Scientific. I just wanted to nail down the kits before going too wild...

Offline Xynerorias

• Lubin' with glicerin
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 11:30:35 »
This is really nice, and that might be my first SA kit, I'm usually a GMK dude but this is really cool, and it'll pair nicely with DMG.

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

Offline TunnaTown

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 13:33:02 »

Yes. The Filco SA caps are made by signature plastics. I have a set and they look great!

I'm sure other Filco double shot keyset owners can attest! (myself included)
--

I honestly believe that some if not most who object the Helvetica font, upon seeing a set would immediately change their minds.

Similarly, I prefer the 223333 profile, because it provides a simple solution for Colemak layouts with no aesthetic difference and a typing feel that you will get used to. Although, once the poll is launched, there's no turning back... There is no weighed answer in the poll. I know that some who voted 223333 feel really strongly about it, while others have a slight preference and could live with both.

Whereas with the font, it's purely aesthetic and, like colour, is more subject to the designer's vision and visceral reaction upon seeing the samples, colour guides and so on.

TL;DR: If you feel strongly about the font, then please comment. Thanks!

This is the first Nintendo-related set that I really, really like.
Somehow this theme goes way better with SA than Cherry profile.

The Helvetica font and the 223333 sculpture (or even full R3) would make this a truly unique set.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 16:10:00 »

I think it's for Qwpr?

The R2 "K" and the R4 "P" are for Norman.

If you add an R2 "M" and an R3 homing "A" to the MT3 Godspeed kit, it will also cover the Carpalx QGMLWY layout.  The upcoming MT3 Serika's Typist kit is a good example.  Zambumon lists the covered layouts here - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100489.msg2757949#msg2757949

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2019, 16:53:00 by dvorcol »

Offline psxndc

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 16:46:29 »
Any guesstimate when this will go from an IC to a GB?
Ortho. Always.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 17:14:27 »
Any guesstimate when this will go from an IC to a GB?

:-X

Eyeing Fall 2019... More realistically? January 2020.

Depends on how many rounds of samples I need to get. Usually 4 weeks per.

PS. I'm thinking of renaming this set to "Super SA". What do you think?

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 17:15:23 »

I think it's for Qwpr?

The R2 "K" and the R4 "P" are for Norman.

If you add an R2 "M" and an R3 homing "A" to the MT3 Godspeed kit, it will also cover the Carpalx QGMLWY layout.  The upcoming MT3 Serika's Typist kit is a good example.  Zambumon lists the covered layouts here - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100489.msg2757949#msg2757949

Show Image

Looks like I have some studying to do.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 19:32:01 »
I'm kinda surprised but I actually like the use of the Filco font.  Feels much more Nintendo-esque than the standard centered Gorton Modified.  I'm kinda over SA as a profile but I'll probably be torn once this goes live since I was interested in GMK SNES.

As far as kits go, I'd like to see a purple number row kit for the 60% boards.  Not sure if light or dark purple would look better (or maybe alternating a la the F row?).